Bottom line

Only two people will ever know whether Pittsburgh Steeler quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sexually assaulted a young woman at a bar in Milledgeville March 5. Or another woman who claims in a lawsuit he raped her in Lake Tahoe in 2008.

But even the two-time Super Bowl winner knows by now how stupid he's been.

The 28-year-old seemed destined for a Hall of Fame career before these allegations. And though they are only allegations -- he's not been criminally charged in either situation -- they have forever tainted his image, and he joins a long and inglorious line, right behind Tiger Woods, of big-money athletes who risk everything and lose much for reckless, fleeting thrills.

Roethlisberger could have done so much good with his money and fame. He still might. But so far, he's been too busy gazing in the mirror to see the opportunity he's about to throw away. What a shame.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/16/10 - 11:45 pm
The shame is that Ben is

The shame is that Ben is innocent until proven guilty, and whether he is guilty or not, the damage to his character has been done, and he wasn't even arrested, much less charged in either case. Even though Ben may not have done one single thing wrong from a criminal standpoint, the national media have cricified him before an indictment and a trial which the Constitution of the United States guarantees to the Pittsburg quaterback. The District Attorney, himself, stated that there was not enough evidence to convict Ben beyond a reasonal doubt. As a result of being branded with a Scarlet Letter, Ben has been forced to accept any punishment that the NFL hands down, just to keep his job whether he did anything wrong or not.
Even Ben's most loyal local fan--our favorite local radio host has abandoned him, and his wife isn't even going to wear Ben's Jersey anymore.
Can it get any worse?

audioofbeing
audioofbeing 04/17/10 - 12:02 am
Yeah, it can get worse if

Yeah, it can get worse if you're the girl he sexually assaulted while his posse blocked the doors to the bathroom.

Edit: Rather than just be angry: He's 28, rich, and incredibly physically imposing. She's 20, a college student, and has bruises/lacerations on her body, in addition to being drunk.

If you think any amount of sympathy is owed to Roethlisberger, you need to re-evaluate your life. Every single bit of power was on his side in this, and there's almost no chance he didn't abuse it and hurt an innocent.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/17/10 - 12:43 am
Oh, from the fact ESPN

Oh, from the fact ESPN reported the day before the DA's announcement that no charges would be brought, I think the DA's office had their minds made up.

The Milledgeville police officer who investigated has since resigned. Could it be that the DA knew something wasn't right, but couldn't bring charges because of the budget of the Ocmulgee District?

Could it be that the DA is under pressure to win more cases and he knew this one would take his resources for years?

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/17/10 - 12:46 am
Al Davis would love to have

Al Davis would love to have Ben. The Raiders have their own parole officer on the coaching staff.

Anyone ever hear the story of how an assistant coach at The Citadel ended up owning the Oakland Raiders? Let me know if you want to know.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/17/10 - 12:50 am
Audio--You have proven my

Audio--You have proven my point, exactly. You have stated, as Fact, the young lady's version of the story--a slightly modified version, I might add.

YOU HAVE STATED AS FACT:

[1] That "the girl he {Ben} sexually assaulted;"
[2] "while his posse blocked the doors to the bathroom."
[3] That by implication and inuendo, Ben caused "bruises/lacerations on her body,"
[4] "In addition to being drunk."

And in no way, did I say that Ben was owed "any amount of sympathy," whatsoever. I stated that Ben was owed his Constitutional Right of the Presumption of Innocence that the Media, and now you, are refusing to afford to him.

Finally, with respect to your derogatory comment, that I need to re-evaluate my life--I would be very, very careful about making more disparaging and/or defamatory comments about anyone on this website not to mention Mr. Roethlisberger.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/17/10 - 12:55 am
Ladies, don't stop wearing

Ladies, don't stop wearing football jerseys....and nothing else, please. We don't need to go that far. Just change numbers even if it is a different POSITION.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/17/10 - 12:58 am
River, you're kill'in me with

River, you're kill'in me with the parole officer and the jerseys. I think the Raiders know that "Breaking Bad," guy too. Still Lol.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/17/10 - 12:59 am
Nate, don't let him bother

Nate, don't let him bother you. His call to reevaluate lives is like shouting at the surf at Tybee Island and means little unless he has a coupon at Carey Hillards Restaurant he is willing to share.

audioofbeing
audioofbeing 04/17/10 - 01:41 am
"Can you see how your comment

"Can you see how your comment alone, Audio, has disparaged and defamed Mr. Roethlisberger without any discernable proof whatsoever; Proof that is essential, and that is necessarily required in a Court of Law that has been scrutinized by a Judge who has been presented BOTH sides of the story. What you have stated above is pure .......speculation."

It's not speculation. I've read the reports, and as best as possible I know the fact. His cohorts did block the door to the female restroom. The woman did have genital bruises and lacerations. The woman was drunk.

Those are facts. You can ignore them if you wish, but you're lying.

I stated he sexually assaulted her. It's the only statement I made that isn't 100% supportable, but to believe otherwise is to think that just because you see flames and smoke there isn't a fire. He's been accused of sexual assault before. He had the door blocked. He followed a drunk woman too young to drink to the bathroom. Shortly afterwards the woman went to the hospital where bruises common to sexual assault were found on her body. It's not enough to send him to jail, and I understand that. It doesn't mean he's not worthy of contempt.

Read up on rape statistics. Tell me why most rape's aren't reported. Tell me why those that are reported result in minimal or no jail time. Tell me why the burden of proof is almost entirely on the person who has the least power in a situation, as with the young woman here.

Every time something like this happens men leap to the defense of the accused, and almost never the accuser. This despite the fact that the number of false reports is infinitesimally small compared to the number of actual sexual assaults in this country.

One in four. That's the number of women that are sexually assaulted in the United States. Do you realized what that means? Do you care?

Roethlisberger might be innocent of rape. It doesn't mean he's innocent.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/17/10 - 02:56 am
Audio, the more you protest,

Audio, the more you protest, the more you prove my point. You have absolutely no idea what the facts are. You do not know what happened because you weren't there. Don't you understand that. Do you believe everything you read? How do you know the young lady was "drunk." Did you see the breathalizer results? Then you first stated that the bathroom doors [plural] were blocked, now you have changed your story to door. The young lady could not see if the door(s) were blocked if she were in the Bathroom, could she? Whose story are you relying on for those rather hazy facts? Was it allegedly one person blocking a door, or a "posse." Then you stated that I could choose to ignore the facts, but I would be lying. Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?
You have publically accused Mr. Roethlisberger of bruising her {the alleged victim}, and causing lacerations...that could have happened the night before, or even an hour before, if it was a set-up.
Then you accused Mr. Roethlisberger of Sexual Assault. That is RAPE. Do you realize that is "libel per se." And that Mr. Roethlisberger could sue you right now and win a judgement against you for saying that on this Public Board. You had better print a retraction, or we will be reading about you on this Board next.

audioofbeing
audioofbeing 04/17/10 - 03:01 am
Everything I've asserted is

Everything I've asserted is available online from a reputable source. It's not hard to find. I said door this time because I forgot the "s." I also don't know if it's a double door or not. Let's change it to entrance so you can feel more comfortable.

"The young lady could not see if the door(s) were blocked if she were in the Bathroom, could she?"

Yeah, probably not if she was being sexually assaulted. However I'm assuming the club wasn't populated by just two people, and that the police did their research. They released hundreds of pages of information on this, including statements by bar patrons who weren't affiliated with either party. Read them. It won't change your mind, but at least you'll be dealing with reality.

I also didn't say he bruised her, I said she went to the hospital shortly after this incident and there were bruises. If you think she bruised herself you're ridiculous. Try to slam your own genitals in a door hard enough to cause bruising and lacerations and tell me how that pans out for you.

I'm not going to waste my time trying to educate you. This information is available to anybody who hasn't made up their minds.

"And that Mr. Roethlisberger could sue you right now and win a judgement against you for saying that on this Public Board."

Yeah, no, he couldn't. Try to learn before you try to educate.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/17/10 - 03:05 am
Audio, I used to respect your

Audio, I used to respect your posts, but you just keep stepping in it every time you open your mouth. You really need to speak with your lawyer and ask about "inuendo." You have implied, and it is perfectly clear that you are saying that Mr. Roethlisberger caused the bruises and lacerations on the young lady because you have now dispelled the idea that those injuries could have been self-inflicted. You have also accused Mr. Roethlisberger of RAPE. Run that one by your lawyer. And if you believe everything you read....then read this--you have absolutely nothing to offer me as far as education is concerned!

audioofbeing
audioofbeing 04/17/10 - 03:05 am
And since I don't know that I

And since I don't know that I ever replied to the actual article:

"But so far, he's been too busy gazing in the mirror to see the opportunity he's about to throw away. What a shame."

This country needs to stop pretending that athletes are heros, and it needs to stop paying them as such. They're physical prodigies, not bastions of morality. When we stop assuming that fame and physical talent are indicative of character maybe we'll stop acting shocked and disappointed when athletes are selfish and destructive.

audioofbeing
audioofbeing 04/17/10 - 03:33 am
What you're looking to

What you're looking to describe is libel, and it's not applicable here. I don't have any more evidence than the DA does, and I've never claimed to. In my opinion there is little doubt that Roethlisberger sexually assaulted the girl, and absolutely no doubt that he took advantage of her. Libel laws don't apply to semi-anonymous citizens stating their opinions and causing absolutely no financial damages to the target. I'm thinking you're just working off assumptions here.

"And if you believe everything you read....then read this--you have absolutely nothing to offer me as far as education is concerned!"

You've offered up limp defenses of a likely rapist while suggesting a woman battered herself in pursuit of financial compensation. I'm pretty comfortable with where I'm standing, how about you?

Look, all my personal anger aside, I'd never suggest this guy deserves anything but a fair trial. In my opinion there is rarely such a thing as a fair rape trial, but I'd still stand by his right to said trial, no matter how I feel. The problem is I've dealt intimately with these cases before, and I know how the system favors the man over the woman, from the moment of the crime up until the likely dismissal of the case. Overwhelming evidence is deemed insubstantial, or thrown out of technicalities that would infuriate the public in any other trial. If the man goes to jail, he's out in a couple years, he's probably harassing the woman again inside of four, and there's always the chance he'll just murder her. It eats at me, and it tests my heart.

I've heard your arguments before in I don't know how many cases. I know, to you, you're acting to protect the innocent until proven guilty, but I've heard the same words from the lips of those who only seek to protect their monstrous clients. Logically I know the difference, but both tend to cause a great deal of anger in me. Try not to take it personally, but also try to understand where I'm coming from here.

Edit: I'll go a step further and apologize for my hostility towards you. It's misplaced, and though I feel my anger is justified, I shouldn't have directed at you.

The system we have in place for dealing with reported sexual assaults and rapes almost invariably crushes the women brave enough to test it, and almost never punishes the men who it supposedly exists to keep in check. That kills me. It goes against everything people are supposed to stand for, and when such a blatant (to me) case as this happens so nearby, I can't help but feel like we failed in some way.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 04/17/10 - 03:42 am
I hate it when well paid

I hate it when well paid athletes don't live their lives like I think they should. With just a little research they could get my e-mail and receive advice on any situation they may find themselves in. Oh well, I guess they'll just have to continue on as they see best.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 04/17/10 - 03:44 am
The woman's name stays out of

Whyisit01
Whyisit01 04/17/10 - 08:21 am
This girl knew what she was

This girl knew what she was doing, and who Ben was to bad her 15 minutes didn't yield her any money crying RAPE, which was her original intentions. Why didn't one of her other drunk girlfriends go with her to the restroom?

grouse
grouse 04/17/10 - 11:51 am
Another celebrity having sex.

Another celebrity having sex. Ho hum. If he's guilty of rape, lock him up. If not, who cares?

audioofbeing
audioofbeing 04/17/10 - 02:35 pm
"Why didn't one of her other

"Why didn't one of her other drunk girlfriends go with her to the restroom"

Because they were physically barred from doing so. Please continue making yourself feel superior to likely rape victims without bothering to read any details of the case, though.

"The woman's name stays out of the paper and the accused's name is in every sentence, along with pictures. How fair is that in an undecided case?"

It's a flawed way of dealing with things in a flawed world. I've thought about this very thing a fair amount, and unfortunately I don't think there's really a better way to go about it. Considering the accused is usually guilty, statistically, it's important information for people to have for their own safety. On the other hand, considering how most people like to attack the victim, who statistically is unlikely to be lying (see above), it's helpful to keep that name out of the press as long as possible to avoid further harm.

It's not perfect, and I can see the problems with it. Even though the number is small, some men are falsely accused (for what it's worth, I've had completely unsubstantiated claims of harassment thrown at me, so I do have an idea of what it's like.) Unfortunately not a lot of studies have been done, and since the issue is so sensitive, it's unlikely they'll be done soon. Until that does happen, I've got to think we should lean towards what seems to protect the victim.

Whyisit01
Whyisit01 04/17/10 - 03:29 pm
When she got up to go, one of

When she got up to go, one of her drunk friends should have then, why wait. That girl knew what she was doing please to bad her 15 minutes is all bad press.

audioofbeing
audioofbeing 04/17/10 - 03:40 pm
You pretty obviously didn't

You pretty obviously didn't read the police reports.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/17/10 - 04:07 pm
Hey Audio, I'm just now

Hey Audio, I'm just now drinking coffee, stayed up too late. I read your 3:33 and I apoligize as well. This is a highly charged issue for which, as you intimated, there is no clear-cut solution. Although your statistics may say otherwise, I stand by a person's right to the presumption of innocence simply because it is the law of the land. I do feel very sorry for any woman who is the victim of a sexual assault, and I firmly believe that the attacker should be punished to the full extent of the law when credible evidence is presented in a Court of Law. No harm, no foul!

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 04/17/10 - 08:29 pm
Sex, money and pride tend to

Sex, money and pride tend to be the most difficult traps to avoid.

corgimom
corgimom 04/17/10 - 11:11 pm
"You have absolutely no idea

"You have absolutely no idea what the facts are."

And, Nat the Cat, you don't either.

KSL