When common sense capsizes

Do they give drug tests in Congress?

They ought to if they don't already.

First up should be Rep. Hank Johnson, D-Ga.

His line of questioning of a Navy officer during a committee meeting March 25, now famous on the Internet, is so bizarre and comical that it has all the appearance of a Saturday Night Live sketch.

Sadly, it's real. And it's your Congress.

In fact, Johnson manages to make Cynthia McKinney, one of his more oddball predecessors, look absolutely lucid.

Johnson inartfully asks the officer about the dimensions of the island of Guam, pursuant to a transfer of 8,000 U.S. Marines there -- before expressing an apparently sincere concern that adding more people to Guam might tip the island over.

Really. You can't make this stuff up, folks.

"My fear," Johnson says with the utmost seriousness, "is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize."

The officer, who gamely fought back a smile, should get a medal -- maybe for not asking and not telling how foolish Johnson's statement was.

Where, oh where, are the words to describe the patent absurdity of it, and the horrifying realization that a schoolchild is more sophisticated? And yet, this is a man representing the state of Georgia in the esteemed halls of Congress, the pinnacle of the nation's leadership.

Never mind Guam. Pray for this nation. Pray the entire country doesn't capsize.

KSL
KSL 04/02/10 - 01:14 pm
I'm not certain he was

I'm not certain he was joking. He had a lot of difficulty getting words out to express his questions about the width and length of the island.

KSL
KSL 04/02/10 - 01:28 pm
Barry Paschal 04/02/10 - 01:36 pm
Hahaha... A congressman says

KSL
KSL 04/02/10 - 01:52 pm
The truth is he is sick and

The truth is he is sick and taking an experimental drug. His speech has slowed down and "they" say that he gets lost in the middle of conversations. I say he probably should step down.

KSL
KSL 04/02/10 - 01:55 pm
Seenit, is he your

Seenit, is he your Congressman?

chel
chel 04/02/10 - 02:29 pm
@Barry and KSL---- watch out

@Barry and KSL---- watch out because you know the left is just going to paint you a racist again with that big broad brush stroke they have waiting in their left hand!

fd1962
fd1962 04/02/10 - 02:41 pm
This is sure to be explained

This is sure to be explained Saturday on the Wanda Sykes Show, where it belongs. Tune in for relief if you find the joke too difficult to comprehend.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/02/10 - 03:08 pm
The formal response of Rep.

The formal response of Rep. Johnson via his spokesman sounds like a slippery Lawyer with a Phd. wrote it. Very articulate and illusive. That's not consistant with his "island world," shenanigan, is it?

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 04/02/10 - 02:55 pm
More morons, defending

More morons, defending morons.

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 04/02/10 - 03:01 pm
Hopefully those in his

Hopefully those in his district will notice they have a representative that’s not quite playing with all his marbles ???

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 04/02/10 - 03:12 pm
Way to GO Hank!

Way to GO Hank!

KSL
KSL 04/02/10 - 03:33 pm
I don't know, ron, they

I don't know, ron, they elected Cynthia Mckinney, didn't they?

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 04/02/10 - 03:36 pm
KSL ... yes ... but I don't

KSL ... yes ... but I don't think that even Cynthia Mckinney was to worried about tipping an island over.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 04/02/10 - 03:38 pm
Hello, Ron, KSL: Have you

Hello, Ron, KSL: Have you heard from Sarge today?

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 04/02/10 - 03:47 pm
Nat ... no I haven't heard

Nat ... no I haven't heard from Sarge ... but I haven't been on very long either.

fd1962
fd1962 04/02/10 - 04:07 pm
They blew up a whole island

They blew up a whole island in Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea. Now don't tell me THAT didn't really happen?!

ron_rlw
ron_rlw 04/02/10 - 04:17 pm
fd1962 ... good point ... but

fd1962 ... good point ... but I don't think they did it by adding an additional 8,000 marines to the Island. Just exactly how many marines would it take to tip over an island that is 24 miles long and about 10 miles wide?

fd1962
fd1962 04/02/10 - 04:24 pm
Ron, if you give me the

Ron, if you give me the algorithm the Creationists used to prove the world is only 6000 years old, we can use it to answer your question.

KSL
KSL 04/02/10 - 04:24 pm
Nat, he posted around 11 this

Nat, he posted around 11 this morning. Said he was headed to the VA.

scorehouse
scorehouse 04/02/10 - 06:35 pm
hank johnson WAS serious. his

hank johnson WAS serious. his medical condition IS serious. he should be on permanent disability. but he does illustrate the quality of our education system. that's a great test question. how many marines does it take to tip over guam? followed by, if everyone on earth jumps up and down at the same time, how much will earth's orbit change? with grand bonus question being, What did President Abraham Lincoln say when he finally sobered up from his infamous 3 day drunk?

KSL
KSL 04/02/10 - 06:45 pm
Of course he was serious.

Of course he was serious. Anyone who would claim that Joe Wilson's shout out was a precursor to KKK activity is dain bramaged. Uh, uh, uh.

audioofbeing
audioofbeing 04/02/10 - 07:38 pm
"Hahaha... A congressman says

"Hahaha... A congressman says something really stupid, then sends out a staffer with canned comments to sweep up after him, and his gullible apologists buy it hook, line and stinker - and even suggest a "retraction" for pointing out what the congressman actually said. Is April Fool's Day over already?"

My suggestion of a retraction wasn't based on a press release, it was based on the fact that I did the legwork that is glaringly missing from this article. The viewpoint presented is obviously based off a humorous but misleading youtube clip. I provided the entire video, which makes that quite clear. Additionally, Mr. Michael Ryan, the editor of the Editorial page, claimed that Congressman Johnson had not pointed out that his words were facetious. Mr. Ryan was incorrect, and I provided the evidence of that as well. The authors saw what they wanted to see in the shortened video segment and felt no need to go further. This misuse of media to label people happens to be a pet peeve, so I did go further. I do it when it happens to conservatives as well. Some truths aren't partisan.

I was as unaware of Congressman Johnson's illness as the ACES obviously was, but it explains the slowness displayed in the clip; a slowness that is not as pronounced in the full video. As I said, the material this article is based on is humorous, but it's not reality. The reality, for those with any sympathy, is saddening. Perhaps his illness makes him unfit to hold office any further, but to accuse him of stupidity because of the treatment he's undergone is not only ignorant but cruel.

My assumption is that the Editorial staff and editor have a desire to present the truth, even if it is in the form of an opinion, even if it contradicts an earlier printing. If I'm wrong then I apologize. If they are, maybe they can provide some truthful insight into why a full grown adult publisher of another local paper feels the need to childishly mock readers.

KSL
KSL 04/02/10 - 07:59 pm
Now, explain his comments

Now, explain his comments about Joe Wilson's outburst calling Obama a liar. Was that a joke as well.

By the way, why was it that he had to issue a statement that he was being facetious after the fact? Most people telling a joke that falls flat admit their intent at the moment. He let it go. I say he is totally incompetent at this time. Maybe he wasn't when he was elected, but he is now. Uh, uh, uh.

carcraft
carcraft 04/02/10 - 08:45 pm
Gee I don't recall

Gee I don't recall audioofbeing getting upset when CNN showed Tina Fey and claimed it was Palin during a NEWS SEGMENT...Waahahahahahahahaha Obama is visiting all 57 States to explain the health care bill to the closed camp at Gitmo and the less than 8% unemployed because we passed the stimulus bill BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

mable8
mable8 04/02/10 - 08:54 pm
Good grief, J4, the stupid

Good grief, J4, the stupid congressman made his statement on CAMERA COMPLETE WITH THE AUDIO on--no one made this up or took the statement out of context. Admit it, there are stupid dolts in ALL walks of life, regardless of ethnicity. Wake up and take a good look at reality!

KSL
KSL 04/02/10 - 09:25 pm
Mable, maybe he is not

Mable, maybe he is not stupid, just medically challenged at this point. I read he had lost 30 pounds due to his hepatitis C and that he was suffering from slower speech and some sort of memory problems. At any rate, he doesn't need to be voting at this point and should step down. By the way, considering his age and hep C, the research on the huge number of cases is interesting.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 04/02/10 - 10:52 pm
Way to go Hank! I think I see

Way to go Hank! I think I see another Dem messiah.

carcraft
carcraft 04/02/10 - 11:20 pm
Don't Worry about Johnson,

Don't Worry about Johnson, with the new health care bill he will be elgible for health care even with his pre existing illness..in about 4 years...

KSL
KSL 04/03/10 - 02:20 am
car, I wish. He has the

car, I wish. He has the regular Congressional Health Care. That which we wish we could have. It even pays for experimental treatment. The rest of us peons are not going to be allowed that. We taxpayers are paying to have him have almost slurred speech. And a vote.

marvincates
marvincates 04/03/10 - 04:04 am
Anyone calling the right

Anyone calling the right "hate filled" is someone who must be perfect. The rest of the post seems kinda "hate filled", doesn't it?

Former commissioner's case remains under review

While former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith's statements to Georgia State Patrol investigators likely can't be used against him, the state Office of the Inspector General continues to conduct ...