In control - and out of control

With health-care vote, government took this country from its people

Rarely in a free country has a sense of elation among its leaders been so overwhelmingly matched with a feeling of dread among the people.

The morning after Democratic leaders toasted their health-care reform victory with champagne, Americans who respect the Constitution and the values that made this country the world's lone superpower -- self-reliance, individual liberty, thrift, limited government and more -- are wondering if the American experiment is ending before their eyes.

Democrats in Washington have voted to turn America into a European-style socialistic society, with unprecedented, and likely unconstitutional, federal power over both states and individuals on truly life-or-death matters. Sweeping new mandates will order individuals to buy health insurance and will fine business owners for not providing it. The Internal Revenue Service will be beefed up to make sure of it.

At a time of joblessness and uncertainty second only to the Great Depression, the Democrats have passed one of the biggest job-killing bills in the country's history -- crushing mandates and taxes on businesses, when regulation and taxation ought to be lessened to spur an economic recovery.

At a time when government-run Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid are all facing insolvency or unsustainability, the government has now taken upon itself to run the entire health-care system -- one-sixth of the economy.

At a time when this country is already passing trillions of dollars of debt onto future generations, Democrats have just voted to hand our children trillions more in debt. How could this not be remembered as the most selfish generation in history?

A number of liberals around the country, and perhaps moderates and independents, are alarmingly sanguine about this and other leaps down the path of socialism. Socialism has never worked for long as an economic model -- and as a political instrument, it is absolutely anathema to the individual liberties upon which this country was founded.

When Barack Obama said he wanted to fundamentally transform America, he wasn't kidding.

Most Americans -- a majority oppose this health-care bill -- are increasingly distressed and heartbroken at the direction their country is headed.

But the good thing is that they are angry , too -- and it's an anger that will lead them to rise up against what is happening.

It's likely the Tea Party movement will grow exponentially now. This year's elections will be the most spirited, populated and pivotal in generations. And dozens of states are already planning legal challenges to the bill.

Indeed, the bill ignores states' rights and trashes the 10th Amendment, and remarkably establishes a heretofore unheard-of right of the federal government to force you to buy a service: health insurance. (By the way, it is in no way analogous to state mandates for car insurance; driving on public roads has ever been a privilege, not a right).

Nor do we yet know all the ways this byzantine 2,400-page power grab will change our lives and alter our sacred contract with the government -- a contract that we, the people, were supposed to be in control of.

No longer. Your federal government is at once in control and out of control.

What effect will Medicare cuts and government rationing have on senior citizens' health care? Vast majorities of Americans are satisfied with their health insurance; how will this bill affect them? How will employers resist dropping that coverage, when federal fines for doing so are less than the cost of coverage? How will the body politic absorb the cost?

How intrusive will government efforts to require you to have insurance turn out to be? Are Americans really willing to live in such a nation?

Is the American experiment on life-support? Does the Constitution mean anything anymore? How much freedom are we willing to hand over in the name of government health care?

This long ago ceased to be about extending health care to the uninsured or lowering health-care costs. There are much less meddlesome, and much more effective, ways to have done that. This is about growing the power and reach of the leviathan in Washington -- and about creating a larger dependent class that will be ever-more reliant on the caprices of a paternalistic bureaucracy and the diminished private sector forced to fund it.

Be careful what you wish for: An American patriot once said, "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." If this government can take over health care -- and car companies and financial institutions and the student loan program and more -- what's next? If your health care is the federal government's business, what isn't?

We must take this country back, for it is being taken from us.

It has to start in the streets, with protests and rallies -- such as the one the evening of April 15 at the Augusta Common.

It must continue with the upcoming elections. Those who do not respect the limited role of the federal government as clearly spelled out in the U.S. Constitution must be turned out of office.

And students at every level must be taught once again the infinite wisdom of the restraints on government so beautifully articulated in our founding documents.

Surely a country once strong and gallant enough to liberate Europe and the Pacific can rescue itself from a ruin of its own making.

Pray it can. And then take action to make it so.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/23/10 - 05:44 am
Reformed, hey, I'm with you

Reformed, hey, I'm with you on one thing. Whatever party appears to be the one most likely to cut spending, I'll support. If the Democrats start supporting private businesses and cutting spending, I'll vote that way.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 03/23/10 - 05:46 am
Well, as usual, the only ones

Well, as usual, the only ones that like this new takeover bill are those that are jealous of the mega-rich. Who knew? I guess having access to money belonging to someone else is another right from this socialist government. Who knew the government educated have a much different sense of right and wrong than the intelligent Americans?

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 03/23/10 - 05:49 am
Cliff, Cliff, Cliff......as I

Cliff, Cliff, Cliff......as I said before.....I work hard, I pay my taxes.....the only thing that the Republican party has done for me, is to insure that I pay while the wealthy get exclusions, that I am unable to get insurance, and that my taxes have and will continue to pay for an unfounded war for a long time. I have seen the Republican party espouse the same tactics used by North Viet Nam, Russia, Cambodia and Nazi Germany. I am a capitalist, but at the same time, I am also for FAIR pricing, and understand the law of supply and demand. The doctors, insurance companies and hospitals have colluded for years and are in essence a monopoly, thereby subverting that law of supply and demand. After all....where else can one get medical care.....witch doctors are less expensive, but not quite effective........

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/23/10 - 05:51 am
I notice the countries

I notice the countries mentioned above were socialist, if you are saying Russia is the former Soviet Union.

Notreally
Notreally 03/23/10 - 05:58 am
Bloodbath, she keeps saying

Bloodbath, she keeps saying bloodbath I wonder what she means, I need to forward her comments to Homeland Security. I know something soon by the EVIL thinkers who don't like Obama are planning something, I just hope NONE of my family and friends are around when it does. Bloodbath, what is that about is she saying a mass of people are going to die soon?

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 03/23/10 - 05:54 am
Jealous of the

Jealous of the mega-rich.....I sincerely doubt that the "mega-rich" got there totally honestly....Bill Gates stole DOS, and copied Apple to create Windows, ethical, huh? I say Let those doctors leave the system, and see how fast they lose their homes and their Mercedes...they have priced themselves into this position. I also challenge anyone to PROVE that this is a government takeover.....ya can't.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 03/23/10 - 05:54 am
You contradict yourself RR.

You contradict yourself RR. These EXACT political tactics and propaganda were used to take over Germany in the 1920s. I know you feel you're not a success and so you should have access to money belonging to someone else, but maybe you ought to study who has had control of congress most of the time since WWII ended. The socialist programs of FDR have plagued this country for more than 60 years. I'm sorry for your health problems, but destroying the country isn't the cure.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/23/10 - 05:55 am
The idea that the wealthy get

The idea that the wealthy get exclusions is interesting also. They work and produce a profit that they have to pay taxes on at a much higher rate than those who produce little. What's that stat again on who actually pays the most taxes? Every tax "break" the rich get is voted on by Congress because it is supposedly for a good reason such as donations to charity or what have you. Now if you want to talk about the "Fair Tax" that's another discussion and an idea I would support.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 03/23/10 - 05:57 am
RR, no matter how you phrase

RR, no matter how you phrase it, wealth envy is obvious.

shivas
shivas 03/23/10 - 05:57 am
The Republicans will see

The Republicans will see their startegy of "doing nothing" as backfiring. The right-wing has increased their hate speech an rhetoric, and have put all of their efforts into talk radio hosts. Obama is leading the nation and the American people will demonstrate their appreciation in November.

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 03/23/10 - 05:57 am
So, Riverman, torture is only

So, Riverman, torture is only bad if practiced by socialists?

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 03/23/10 - 05:58 am
RR, you're right. No one can

RR, you're right. No one can prove anything negative about this bill to you. You're totally convinced this is a gift from the messiah that will punish the successful. That's just sad.

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 03/23/10 - 05:59 am
I saw, Lsst night, a former

I saw, Lsst night, a former Bush speech writer say that the Republican leadership has been hijacked by the likes of Rush, Glenn and Fox........and they talk about the"liberal" media....ROFLMAO!

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/23/10 - 06:01 am
I think we have a

I think we have a decompensation of sorts going on this morning right here on this very board.

"Torture?" Don't know where that came from, but stealing from those who have something is bad and that's usually a socialist practice or that of common thieves.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 03/23/10 - 06:02 am
Notreally, instead of

Notreally, instead of *SHRUGS* and *YAWNS*, why not try *THINKS* sometime. It could change your whole perspective. Everything isn't about skin color.

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 03/23/10 - 06:03 am
No gift....I will pay for my

No gift....I will pay for my insurance. You would have me have no medical care. Are you a Christian? I think not. I want nothing given to me, I will earn it, as I've earned every job, raise and item in my home.
You just keep listening to your hate spewing, self-centered, wanting to go back to the Wild West pundits.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 03/23/10 - 06:03 am
RR, you think Rush wrote this

RR, you think Rush wrote this bill? That's confusing.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/23/10 - 06:04 am
So a former Bush speech

So a former Bush speech writer said he didn't like Rush, Beck and Fox? We have Clinton's former special advisor, Dick Morris, commenting every night on the wrong doings of the Democrats. Now that's really funny. Tune in any night.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 03/23/10 - 06:04 am
RR, you're in for a big

RR, you're in for a big surprise if this socialist takeover is allowed to stand. I hope you're never able to learn the truth.

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 03/23/10 - 06:04 am
No, you obviously can't

No, you obviously can't read....there is NO Republican leadership...it's being done by the extremist right-wing pundits

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 03/23/10 - 06:05 am
How is it a socialist

How is it a socialist takeover? Prove it form the EXACT wording of the bill.....

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/23/10 - 06:07 am
RR said, "I want nothing

RR said, "I want nothing given to me, I will earn it, as I've earned every job, raise and item in my home."

Now that's the spirit, you are coming around.

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 03/23/10 - 06:08 am
I can't wait til

I can't wait til November....you have spouted, since 2006, how the Democrats wouldn't do this, wouldn't be elected to that, yet the American people and the Democratic Congress continue to prove that you are useless and a futile exercise in extremism

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 03/23/10 - 06:14 am
Riverman, I've always been

Riverman, I've always been that way. I am a moderate, with a conscience. I do believe that health care should be a right....you can't live and be productive without it. You have no idea what is like to have a genetic and physical predisposition to esophageal cancer, which is ALWAYS fatal, without even the hope of end of life care. I've spent the last 8 years, preparing myself for the inevitablity of a slow painful demise. So you think that I deserve that?

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 03/23/10 - 06:13 am
RR, you've been tricked by

RR, you've been tricked by the socialist propaganda machine and I'd never try to change your mind. I was just trying to understand some of your comments.

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 03/23/10 - 06:17 am
Cliff, will you draw Social

Cliff, will you draw Social Security? Will you use Medicare? I suggest that you refuse them, as they are so "socialist". I'd be willing to bet that you will make use of and take advantage of anything and everything in order to gain your "personal wealth" as your comments prove that you have no idea of ethics, or humanity.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 03/23/10 - 06:17 am
Two questions that the

Two questions that the liberals refuse to answer.1) where in the constitution does congress get the power to force me to purchase anything? 2) how is a bill that requires ten years of tax revenue for six years of service sustainable?

ReformedRepub
ReformedRepub 03/23/10 - 06:18 am
Tigger....we'll let the

Tigger....we'll let the Supreme Court decide the first, and time disprove your second assertion.

Notreally
Notreally 03/23/10 - 06:17 am
Hey Betty what exactly do you

Hey Betty what exactly do you mean by Bloodbath? if it means what I THINK (looks over at Cliff), I hope no innocent life is lost because of the intense hate for Obama that's steadily increasing and soon to overflow. I know somebody somewhere listening to Beck and company soon will carry out and evil deed in the name of conservatives all because of their detest for Obama. Mark my words soon watch.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/23/10 - 06:19 am
RR, I'm not sure how a

RR, I'm not sure how a "genetic predisposition" would keep you from acquiring insurance. Plus, the part about a physical predisposition is confusing. Exactly what does that mean? No insurance company is going to deny you coverage because of family history.