Requiem for a superstar

Tiger Woods’ contrition shows that he wants to lay his past to rest

It had all the trappings of a funeral -- the formality, the somberness, the hugs afterward. Maybe back home, neighbors brought over casseroles.

In truth, it was very much a funeral the world saw Friday. It was as if Tiger Woods -- who, with "malice of no thought," killed his former clean-cut, all-American image -- gave his own eulogy. And, like a death, it has left a lot of sad people -- not the least of which are the family members he betrayed.

And so, after months in which the world was eager to view the body, the old Tiger Woods (1996-2009) is now buried. A new one must rise in its place.

The question is when that might be, what that will look like and how it will be met by the golf world and the real world.

Tiger's obscure language indicates even he may not know the "when" yet, saying, "I do plan to return to golf one day, I just don't know when that day will be. I don't rule out that it will be this year."

That sounds an awful lot like a still-young man who is, for the first time, beginning to sort out his life's priorities, and who is finding that golf may not be No. 1.

Many folks might have assumed his public statement Friday would be an ice-breaker for an impending return to a smaller tournament as a warmup to the Masters in April. It's a topic on the minds of many in Augusta. And he must know that Augusta National would be a safe, civil environment where he'd be free to focus on his craft rather than fielding questions and fending off catcalls.

But the tenor of his statement Friday doesn't reflect the kind of urgency required of such a hastened return to a major tournament. Moreover, it's likely the ultra-competitive Tiger Woods has little taste for appearing at the Masters unless he feels he's at the top of his game. We'll just have to wait and see.

Consider, too, that he's involved in much more than simply retooling his game or rebuilding his image. Judging from his contrite appearance Friday, and a new round of treatment he said he was headed for afterward, he's engaged in an all-out renovation of the soul.

We wish him well. We pray for his family's and his fans' healing. And we join them all in mourning the passing of the Tiger Woods that is no more -- and apparently never really was.

Jake
Jake 02/20/10 - 12:07 am
If his past is any indication

If his past is any indication of who he really is then Tiger will rebound. He is one of the greatest who has ever played competitive golf. His statement on Friday that he thought he could live outside of the rules of society because of his wealth and stature really sums it up. We all get wake up calls in life if we live long enough and I think he got one. I think he will respond accordingly unless I have him pegged wrong.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 02/20/10 - 12:21 am
Tiger's apology didn't

Tiger's apology didn't include Augusta, but I'm afraid it should have...Without the best player in the World, this is one more nail in Augusta's economic coffin. Oh, I forgot.....Augusta is economically different than the rest of the World.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/20/10 - 01:00 am
What a needless show. I hope

What a needless show. I hope it's over with now and Tiger can get back to golf.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/20/10 - 06:58 am
Rome had the Gladiators and

Rome had the Gladiators and we have pro sports. Everyone tries to act like the facade put on by our famous 'royalty' in America is real and we fake our dispair when they fall short. Was anyone REALLY surprised? A good looking super wealthy superstar had sex with many beautiful willing women?!?!?!?!? Say it ain't so! Good Lord, people act like this guy was the rock their church was founded on. He is a golfer, A GOLFER! Only in America can we act like a rich guy playing a snotty elitist sport is anything more than that. I am glad that this is what passes for major news around the world. Cain, did anyone die in Afganistan today?

JohnQPublic
JohnQPublic 02/20/10 - 07:30 am
Augusta needs a SAA chapter.

Augusta needs a SAA chapter. I bet there are many men and women in this area who would benefit from it.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/20/10 - 07:46 am
Brad, you're "only in

Brad, you're "only in America" quote is dead wrong. You ever see how how sports figures are treated in other countries? Their importance is way more emphasized than in America. Anyway, as cliff said, what was the point of the news conference if he wasn't announcing his return? Baffling. If he doesn't return by the Masters, things will be just fine. Did pretty good before Tiger and will do fine after. I will miss him though.

Techfan
Techfan 02/20/10 - 07:55 am
Tiger for Governor of South

Tiger for Governor of South Carolina!

bettyboop
bettyboop 02/20/10 - 08:02 am
"His statement on Friday that

"His statement on Friday that he thought he could live outside of the rules of society because of his wealth and stature really sums it up.".......Another Michael Vick......boring

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/20/10 - 08:12 am
justthefacts, I do see how

justthefacts, I do see how sports figures get treated in other countries. In the UK there is always something with the footballers (soccer players), they cheat, the go out and get into bar fights, arrested, sex, and all. But they don't lose their sponsors and have to come on TV to pretend they are sorry about it. People just don't care beyond the National Enquirer sort of interest.

Do you REALLY think that someone would NOT buy Nike because 'Tiger' humped twelve women (that we know about) and he is one of their pushers? You know it really has nothing to do with it.

Only in America do we all still try to pretend that it is 1955 and that the divorce rate is not 50%.

Tiger had an eleborate network set up, to include his buddy covering for him, multiple phones and numbers, he flew these women out to see him using his buddy as cover. So this was not some small fling here and there. I don't fault him, I am saying that the 1950's 'All-American' image that was built up was just that, an IMAGE.

A facade, and taking it at face value is a little agreement we make with ourselves. Kinda like when Bill Clinton said he smoked pot but didn't inhale. We all knew it was a lie, but we gave him a wink and a nod and it was OK.

Tiger is ultra rich, young, good looking, and a super star. Women tend to like that stuff (so I hear). I just can't stand the act put on by everyone as they act like this is a surprise or the act these guys always put on after they get caught.

And by the way, in Europe, no one cares what you do in your private life. Only in America do we try to blend out puritan values with EVERYTHING. The same values that are ignored 90% of the time I might add.

Brad

southernguy08
southernguy08 02/20/10 - 08:10 am
Gee, I guess we should all be

Gee, I guess we should all be like Europe...you know...the continent that has had 2 world wars in one century. My thoughts on the Tiger issue? YAWN! Let the dirtbag play and let his wife take him to the cleaners in the divorce. Who gives a warm bucket of spit?

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/20/10 - 08:18 am
southerguy08, THAT is my

southerguy08, THAT is my point. This is much ado about NADA! Why does this rate international headlines?

fd1962
fd1962 02/20/10 - 08:44 am
For one, the Chronicle is

For one, the Chronicle is thrilled to take this issue to the bank. What is it? Six features in twenty-four hours? They're talking bread and butter here, and no doubt working up the really BIG article with LINKS to X-rated video for Sunday's edition! (AFTER you pray for the Master's soul, of course). Stanley Afganistein, who?!

Zia Rehman
Zia Rehman 02/20/10 - 09:14 am
Bashing Tiger is highly

Bashing Tiger is highly unfair and ungenerous. He is a fine athlete and a likable person. Who has not dallied around in his youth? Let him throw the first stone. Having lost so much, he regrets, apologized, and matured. Now he needs moral support to bring him back to greater heights of golfing glory and a happy married life.

ColCo
ColCo 02/20/10 - 10:14 am
His father trained him to

His father trained him to excel at whatever he chooses to pursue, so I'm not really surprised at Tiger's "habit." The fact is his personal life is really none of my business. I don't condone his behavior, but I'm not going to condemn him for it either.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/20/10 - 01:03 pm
ColCo, did you feel the same

ColCo, did you feel the same way for Bill Clinton?

cosleia
cosleia 02/21/10 - 02:01 pm
Chronicle staff, did you mean

Chronicle staff, did you mean to say "malice aforethought" (or "no malice aforethought")?