It's legal -- now make it practical

Organizers of gay pride parade should be mindful of downtown merchants

Legally, it didn't matter what the mayor thought. It doesn't matter what the Augusta Commission thinks, or what we think either.

What matters is what the Constitution says. What matters is that this is a republic that is built on the foundation of the rule of law.

So when a local gay pride group sought a permit for a June 19 parade down Broad Street, it was a done deal.

That's the legality of it. The morality of it we'll leave up to you.

The practicality of it is another thing entirely.

Coming as it does during the middle of the Saturday before Father's Day, we're already hearing Broad Street merchants worry about the effect of the parade on their business. One store owner we talked to, who said he spoke to others as well, said he'll lose thousands of dollars.

That message made its way to Mayor Deke Copenhaver's office, who said that's between the merchants and the parade organizers. Perhaps -- although he might have offered himself as a friendly intermediary. He still can.

We would simply ask organizers, an organization known as Augusta Pride, to get beyond the legality of the matter -- as the city has -- and consider the practicality. Could they move the parade to later in the day? To another weekend?

The city is forced by law to be accommodating. The parade organizers are not.

The only reason they might be is if they want to.

corgimom
corgimom 02/19/10 - 09:25 pm
I notice that the AC never

I notice that the AC never worries too much about how much the business owners lose thousands of dollars of business on other parade days.

corgimom
corgimom 02/19/10 - 09:37 pm
AC, just remember, St.

AC, just remember, St. Patrick's Day falls on Saturday in 2012. But here's the thing- if this were handled properly, Augusta could make tons of money. Gays like to travel, like to eat, and like to drink, and like to party. The bars and the restaurants will be packed, so will the hotels, and so will the shops. They have money, and they like to spend it. If Augusta looked upon this as the terrific moneymaking opportunity that it is, they could rake in the cash. If you want to attract tourists, this is a perfect opportunity. And gays own businesses and employ people too. Don't let your prejudice get in the way of a great opportunity.

Jake
Jake 02/20/10 - 12:56 am
Come on now, how many people

Come on now, how many people are going to flock to Broad Street the day before Fathers Day to shop? Hell, you can't hardly get people to go there in the first place much less shop. I agree with corgimom, at least the ones participating in the parade and watching will be prone to spend money on food, beverages and lodging.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 02/20/10 - 01:31 am
The best pecuniary solution

The best pecuniary solution for everyone involved including the downtown merchants is to celebrate Father's Day Weekend as we normally do. And then as Corgi said, promote the Pride event, and make even more money with the Parade etc. during another Weekend.

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 02/20/10 - 05:44 am
corgimom...........why do you

corgimom...........why do you say they never worry about it? Have you spoken with them?

willienelson
willienelson 02/20/10 - 05:47 am
I do hope they can move it to

I do hope they can move it to a later time in the day. I am getting my hair done, my nails put on and I want to view a special episode of Judy Garland before me & my friends show just how fabuloso we are, love ya...mean it!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/20/10 - 07:28 am
BRAVO ACES!!! At least you

BRAVO ACES!!! At least you admit this is a 1st Amendment issue (you give Deke some GOOD cover here as well, bravo!).

Why don't those merchants who are so afraid of this come forward and say it in public? That way the God Squad can go downtown and buy something there that day in PROTEST of this "Gawd aweful display of sin!"

This is funny, you think there is a better time to do a parade than Sat afternoon?

Dixieman
Dixieman 02/20/10 - 08:10 am
How about 2 to 3 a.m. on June

How about 2 to 3 a.m. on June 31st?

dashiel
dashiel 02/20/10 - 08:24 am
How about a parade for

How about a parade for hermits? Another irony in all this is the fact that there are many gay fathers in Augusta, maybe even dear ol' dad. Does anybody seriously think everybody's going to rush downtown to do their Father's Day shopping? Can you say "non-issue?"

bettyboop
bettyboop 02/20/10 - 08:59 am
It's a done deal....yawn

It's a done deal....yawn

southernguy08
southernguy08 02/20/10 - 09:05 am
I predict a huge, economic

I predict a huge, economic FLOP!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/20/10 - 09:09 am
I find the predicament Mayor

I find the predicament Mayor Deke, the AC and, apparently many of us are in, amusing. About every place, organization and agency in America firmly says sexual orientation is not grounds for discrimination. Remember the “light in the loafers” radio spots that used to run? Saying anything negative against these folks is the exact same thing as condoning discrimination of minorities or the handicapped.

It takes a lot of courage to stand up to confront our own inherent prejudices and those that we know MOST others have. Going against our own crowd is about as easy as Deke making the 7-10 split. We all know he has never had a bowling ball in his hands. He just doesn’t look the type…or maybe he secretly is and bowls on the sly. I dunno.

Like Deke and the AC say, we all know they have a right to parade. So instead of everyone half stepping like Deke getting a law department opinion, wouldn’t it have been best and the right thing to do if he had decided to fully support these people? He could have led the parade.

The AC likewise could have written an editorial supporting this human rights event. Not that I would ever be so brave as to do anything like that. Not me.

We wouldn’t have held it against Deke or the AC. We know you HAVE to say things like that at times. When leaders of all kinds in the community approve events celebrating human rights it changes things in subtle and better ways.

I’m just glad Riverman wasn’t called on to have to do something like that. I’d have called in the law department and even got Chiquita to come back to tell me I HAD to approve it. If I were the AC editors, I’d have written an editorial about like this one. I wouldn’t make anyone doubt me that I was against such foolishness.

wizzardx1
wizzardx1 02/20/10 - 09:16 am
Just think,if everybody

Just think,if everybody decided to be gay,it wouldn't be long before we didn't have to put up with children killing children(there would not be any)PLUS in a generation or so,there would be no more people at all.I say we go for it.

JackBootedThug
JackBootedThug 02/20/10 - 09:56 am
We need a MUCH bigger

We need a MUCH bigger closet...

Pay What U Owe
Pay What U Owe 02/20/10 - 10:08 am
I am going to go out on a

I am going to go out on a limb here and speculate that Augusta Pride has done this already. Some of their events are being held downtown and I imagine lots of downtown bizness, which as someone says can hardly justify opening their doors on Saturday AM, are not sweating this.

The ACES, as usual, are little more than liars. Assuming they actually talked to someone (doubt it), it's probably an isolated crank. Anyone who thinks this is interesting (not I), should answer the question for themselves. Go downtown on a typical Saturday AM between 10-12 and see how much bizness is being transacted. Most of the 9-5 types (banks and such) are closed and many of the restaurants (the bulk of what's down there) are not open yet and not busy if so. No one is making 1000's of dollars on a Saturday morning in downtown Augusta. As always, the ACES base their view on what is essentially a falsehood. Seems like the morality they should question is their own.

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 02/20/10 - 10:49 am
Excellent article and

Excellent article and suggestion by ACES! I again encourage people to refrain from going downtown. I encourage merchants to not think of dollars but principle and close their businesses in protest. As God does we love people but not their sin so we can not support a parade that shows them proud of it. Yes Brad, I am a proud member of the Godsquad as you calll it.

Latino
Latino 02/20/10 - 10:52 am
I guess homosexuals don't

I guess homosexuals don't really care about going to hell.

ColCo
ColCo 02/20/10 - 11:04 am
I wonder if Deke will wear

I wonder if Deke will wear pink when he offers greetings from the city?

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 02/20/10 - 11:10 am
colco, I think yellow is more

colco, I think yellow is more his color. LOL

mary dits
mary dits 02/20/10 - 11:51 am
quiz! how many gay mayors

quiz! how many gay mayors has augusta elected?

brimisjoshan
brimisjoshan 02/20/10 - 11:54 am
0 out of the closet ??? in

0 out of the closet ??? in the closet

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/20/10 - 12:14 pm
Mary Dits asked: "quiz! how

Mary Dits asked: "quiz! how many gay mayors has augusta elected?"

I'd say about as many as is the currently believed percentage of the population that is homosexual. Enough said on that. No need to slam people in any way.

wm.strickland
wm.strickland 02/20/10 - 02:36 pm
Mr. Owens, I agree with you

Mr. Owens, I agree with you 100%. I'm just courious what single Broad Street Business is so busy on a Saturday that they are going to lose "tens of thousands of dollars" within a few hours that it will take for the Pride Parade. I've been to Pride Parades all over the United States and Canada. The only thing I have ever noticed is the amount of money we bring into communities. That business owner should be thankful we are going to bring our dollars to Broad Street.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/20/10 - 03:02 pm
I can tell you one thing I

I can tell you one thing I have learned about the Gay Community, for the most part they are highly educated, well employed, and spend money. That sounds like the type of people a business owner would want in their store/bar/restaurant, you know, ones with disposable incomes?

This is NOT going to bring about the apocalypse so please God Squad, stay home and pray all day for these sinners' salvation, or come down and see for yourself that these folks are not the spawns of Satan you all think they are.

And FYI, The bible says NOTHING about homosexuality. It is all modern translations. In fact, the entire Bible was written about 500 years after the fact. Then the big shots in the Churh met and threw out the books they didn't agree with.

So if you choose to hate folks based on the modern Bible, that is NOT even a direct translation of 500 years of oral tradition, and that before it was even written down, then go right ahead.

If ignorance is bliss, then you all must be orgasmic.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/20/10 - 03:16 pm
brimisjoshan, The God Squad

brimisjoshan, The God Squad is not a bad thing to be a member of, it's just not for me, and hence, I don't want my life affected by your faith.

That has been my point about all this. Anytime someone uses Jesus/God/Budda/Mohammed/Satan/Kermit the Frog as a reason that anyone should be refused their right, it is wrong.

We are a representative republic, not a theocracy or 'Christian Nation' as the God Squad likes to say about America.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/20/10 - 03:18 pm
Mary Dits!!! You are my

Mary Dits!!! You are my favorite news anchor in Augusta!!! And you are blonde and pretty too!!! Welcome to the forum!!!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 02/20/10 - 06:18 pm
Brad, you're really starting

Brad, you're really starting to sound like an annoying whine about Christians, and the mockery is starting to wear thin.

It's fine to disagree about values, morals and what's important in life, but your snide remarks and snarky arrogance toward one specific group of your fellow citizens, simply because you don't like what they think and say, really should be beneath your dignity as an (presumably) educated man. As just how would you propose that all effects of Christianity be removed from influencing you? How could any of us be truly and completely free of being affected by your opinions and beliefs?

Besides that, you're just wrong about so much of what you think you understand regarding what Christians mostly think about things like our nation's form of government, about Christianity itself, what the Bible contains and the evolution of its translations. You mischaracterize and misrepresent the statements and motives of commenters who are intelligent and informed, as though they were nothing more than fools and bigots. That's is nothing more than a hip, sophisticated and socially-permitted form of lying about someone.

What makes you think it's good sport to mock Christians who don't suit you, but it's [insert terms for moral outrage here] for that Christian to voice the slightest objection to a social phenomenon they believe is not only immoral but dangerous? Who put you in charge of doling out the labels and the condescension here?

It's fine that you don't really get it about the so-called "God Squad"; why would you? You're not a trained, theologically-orthodox Christian, are you? Consequently, you shouldn't be misled that you possess some kind of objective, superior perspective or understanding of actual Christian theology regarding human sexuality, including homosexuality. Not that you would care, but I find it a little nauseating when you write as though you do.

wm.strickland
wm.strickland 02/20/10 - 06:18 pm
I just called to and left a

I just called to and left a message with the Atlanta Gay Men's Chorus to see when their next audtions are. Hope to see ya'll at the parade. You know, I just had a thought. The Miller Theater would be a great place for the AGMC to give a concert when it restored.

Nat the Cat
Nat the Cat 02/20/10 - 11:57 pm
Mr. Owens, with all due

Mr. Owens, with all due respect, I have always found your posts to be somewhat humorous, particularly the ranting and raving, because it was more or less based on discernable facts; however, after reading your 2:02 P.M. post in which you espouse, as fact, that the entire Bible was written 500 years after the fact, and that the Bible says NOTHING about homosexuality, simply reveals your misunderstanding of the Sripture. My Bible [the Torah, prior to my Conversion to Christianity], which is in fact, the first five (5) books of the Christian Bible refered to as the Old Testament, is over 5000 years Old. That, sir, is a proven fact....Ask any Jew!
Secondly, within that 5000 year old text is the particular Scripture found in the Book of Dueteronomy, Chapter 23, Verses 17-18 in which all Jews learn [I don't know about Christians] that Homosexuality is forbidden by God. Thus, if you are attempting to defend your Homosexuality Mr. Owens, I would strongly suggest that you turn to some other credible source other than our Bible.

wm.strickland
wm.strickland 02/20/10 - 06:28 pm
Thank you Jesus! The archaic

Thank you Jesus! The archaic days of Anita Bryant are over with in Augusta. As Mame Dennis was said, " Open an new window. Open a new door. Travel a new highway, that's never been tried before."

Marijuana-based drug works differently

Georgia Regents University and the state of Georgia have worked for months to land a marijuana-derived drug clinical trial for children with difficult seizure disorders.