President and unaccountable

Now even liberal media are complaining about Obama’s end run around press corps

"He got the best press known to man. Let's face it."

-- Former magazine editor Tina Brown

"In the history of civilization!"

-- Media critic Howard Kurtz

Agreed. So why has Barack Obama avoided facing the White House press corps in a formal press conference since last July?

It comes down to one word: Strategery.

Mr. Obama has found that he can control both the medium and the message by only agreeing to interviews with friendly journalists, of which there are plenty to be had. He is said to abhor Fox News Channel, for instance, and avoids it like the plague.

But now, even his fawning friends in the "mainstream" media are grumbling.

"The decision to bypass the White House press corps is no accident," says Kurtz, a Washington Post columnist and CNN commentator.

Once again, the White House is targeting friendly journalists so the president can interact totally on his own terms.

It may be just a coincidence, but the president hasn't faced the press corps as a group since his poorly-thought-out indictment of Cambridge police in the infamous Henry Gates case.

"A press corps that periodically complained about George W. Bush's infrequent news conferences should not let Obama walk away from the practice unchallenged," Kurtz writes.

With even the left-wing media complaining -- including ultra-liberal columnist Helen Thomas saying the president has gone "obscenely long" without a press conference -- expect one soon, beyond the impromptu one Tuesday. But it's clear that nothing defines this administration -- in both policy and process -- so much as the term "control freaks."

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 02/10/10 - 11:09 am
From "Dreams From My

From "Dreams From My Father".. "To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students, the foreign students, the Chicanos, the Marxist professors, and structural feminists." -------------- Nah...he couldn't be a Marxist.

mable8
mable8 02/10/10 - 11:56 am
After watching the big O

After watching the big O during interviews without a teleprompter, he doesn't do very well and seems to get lost in answering the question; perhaps that is why he no longer holds press conferences (add that to the fact that he tried to oust FOX and others who disagree with him from the last conference). As for his "accomplishments," say again???? Seems to me that his marxist/socialistic ideals will be his political downfall--when he is voted out of office in 2012, it will definitely be a day to celebrate!!!

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 02/10/10 - 11:58 am
orgpsych, you post above,

orgpsych, you post above, blasting Sarah Palin and then just two hours later, you say the following, " Unless I missed something (and I might have) Robert Gibbs was not elected President. That means he speaks form somewhere other than a Presidential Pulpit." So I guess that means that we should give little attention to something that the spokesman for our POTUS says, but should really pay attention and analyze every word spoken, every body gesture, every opinion uttered, by a woman who is a paid author, and political pundit?
You can't have it both ways. More liberal double standard bilge.

dani
dani 02/10/10 - 12:07 pm
How can it be that Obama has

How can it be that Obama has saved us so much in dollars. It is impossible to save us millions when so many are without jobs.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 02/10/10 - 12:11 pm
Great column AC! Again, you

Great column AC! Again, you have nailed it exactly. Mr. Hussein, despite having 13 months of lamestream media fawning and idolatry and control of both houses of congress, has accomplished little except to show us all how many promises he can break and blame everything on his predecessor. Any wonder then why he would not want to get hard questions that have been sorely lacking since he took office?

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 02/10/10 - 12:34 pm
Obama is not going to help

Obama is not going to help the country. He promised change, the change he wants. He wants us all duck marching in step, and serving under Obamunism. He said yesterday that he would work with the Republicans if they would help him get his health care reform passed the way he wanted it. Obama should never have been allowed to run for president. By the time this administration has finshed, and let's hope it is by the end of 2012, if he is not kept in check by the American people, he will leave one heck of a mess to straighten out. God bless us all.

dani
dani 02/10/10 - 12:40 pm
Do we now have walking dead

Do we now have walking dead serving our country?

dani
dani 02/10/10 - 12:59 pm

BCG
BCG 02/10/10 - 12:58 pm
Just a partial list of Pres.

Just a partial list of Pres. Obama's accomplishments:1) $2,500 tax credit to help offset the cost of tuition (among other expenses) for those seeking a college education. Nearly five million families are expected to save $9 billion, according to Treasury officials. *** in regards to this conclusion of Obama's accomplishing something for those of you who have completed your taxes I submit how many of you actually were able to us this credit? I believe not many!! It is a sham that make those who choose not to research believe that he and the Democrats are on there side. I am not rich in fact hurting deeply with this economy but we do not qualify for any credits because my child had scholarships in one form or another such as Hope, Pell etc for Qualified Expenses. Yes you can state that she got help but as her family we have many more expenses that must be paid for her to go to school that we could have used the credit to offset, expenses such as food and housing while she is at school SO REALLY he played a good sound bit but accomplished nothing. I know many in this situation good students are penalized for doing well and left out in the cold. The cost outside of tution are the costs that most frequently run a person off from finishing a degree because of financial reasons.

aureliusdios
aureliusdios 02/10/10 - 01:24 pm
Exactly why should Obama not

Exactly why should Obama not been allowed to run for president? He met all the qualifications required by law. I'd like to see the list of things he has done that makes him a socialist. Note the word has done--instead of speculation. What civil liberties have we lost under Obama? i stil have my gun.

Chillen
Chillen 02/10/10 - 02:23 pm
Socialism is defined as state

Socialism is defined as state ownership. The last time I checked the taxpayers were part owners in a few car companies. The Federal governments current involvement with the banks is also socialist.

Obama has increased federal spending, increased the size of the federal government and increased the authority of the federal government way above and beyond any president to date. With each increase we lose more and more freedoms as Americans (just look at welfare and see who is beholden to our govt -- and that is exactly the way they want it too). Here's a scary stat - from the Tax Foundation - 60% of Americans now receive more in Federal benefits than they pay in taxes. And that is on the rise. Someone please tell me how this model will continue to work for the long term?!

aureliusdios do a google search of a few of the radical people that Obama has chosen as czars and see what you find. You are known by the company you keep.

1. Saul Alinsky who wrote "Rules for Radicals" - which is actually more communist than socialist
2. Van Jones - who has said himself that he is a marxist/communist
3. Anita Dunn (WH comm. dir) who said that Mao Tse Tung is one of her favorite philophers. What the heck?!
4. Ron Bloom who said that "power comes from the barrel of a gun"
5. Rahm Emanuel who said “You never want a serious crisis to go to waste and what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things that you didn’t think you could do before." And boy are they ever!

He is surrounded by people who want to take our freedoms away. I could list more but no one would read my lengthy post.

teharper428
teharper428 02/10/10 - 03:34 pm
My main source was a Ph.D.

My main source was a Ph.D. from Lynn University, Dr. Robert Watson, Coordinator of American Studies. Dr. Watson is considered an expert on American politics and has appeared on many TV shows, including Fox. Otherwise it was just looking at articles of the bills that President Obama has signed.
I didn't take the time to cite my source, sorry.

teharper428
teharper428 02/10/10 - 03:48 pm
BCG - You do realize Pell

BCG - You do realize Pell Grants are government money, don't you? In addition, isn't the Hope Scholarship a state gov't program? You may want to inquire about the $2500 tuition credit, it may cover student housing.
And just because it doesn't benefit YOU doesn't make it bad. I see us (all US citizens) as in this together. I may not need the fire dept. next week, but you might, so it's good we have it. I may not need to drive on the interstate to Columbia each day, but you might, so I'm glad we have it. I could go on and on with examples, but you get the idea.

teharper428
teharper428 02/10/10 - 03:52 pm
Good Lord, didn't any of you

Good Lord, didn't any of you watch TV when President Obama spoke at the House Republican Caucus in Baltimore a couple of weeks ago? The President did an excellent job of answering questions from republican congresspersons.

dani
dani 02/10/10 - 04:56 pm
teh.. Thank you for that. I

teh.. Thank you for that. I am still laughing.

southernguy08
southernguy08 02/10/10 - 05:19 pm
Teharper, Obama has closed

Teharper, Obama has closed offshore accounts? In what world? And, you list his cutting the missle defense shield as an accomplishment? Hope we don't have to defend ourselves from some rogue nation like N. Korea firing a missle at California. Tell me, Teharper, do you also have a photo of Obama walking on water?

corgimom
corgimom 02/10/10 - 05:56 pm
Instead of blasting the

Instead of blasting the President- and it doesn't matter who's in office, lies go both ways, along with things taken out of context and stupid, meaningless things being highlighted-don't you think it would be a better use of time and energy to say, "Congress, we don't care about stupid stuff, fix this country's very real problems". I do not care if Palin writes notes on her hand. I do not care if a President reads from a teleprompter. I care a lot, however, that medical costs are spiraling out of control. I care a lot about Medicare going broke. I care a lot that Congress likes it when people focus on dumb, meaningless things instead of actively working to bring solutions to the economic crisis. This horrible recession will touch every American before it's over. Why aren't you arguing about that?

corgimom
corgimom 02/10/10 - 06:01 pm
Nothing is ever enough for

Nothing is ever enough for some people. "expenses such as food and housing while she is at school"- do you understand that college is OPTIONAL, and that she will have food and housing expenses for the rest of her life? Where is it written that the government is supposed to support people through college? Here's a hint- nobody made her go away to school. There are plenty of colleges around in the CSRA. You chose, and she chose, to live away from home to go to college. Live with your choices.

teharper428
teharper428 02/10/10 - 06:22 pm
The missile defense shield

The missile defense shield that was canceled was in Eastern Europe, so I don't think it would do us a damned bit of good for California getting struck by N. Korea.

carcraft
carcraft 02/10/10 - 06:28 pm
corgimom,I agree to some

corgimom,I agree to some extent about the dumb stuff..except that the press uses distractions to tarnish people and we were told how bright Obama is and how below standard Palin is. Palin was cast as below standard by dumb stuff and never mind that Obama did and does equally dumb stuff...1.5 billion dollars from the stimulus bill has been sent to China to build "green energy" wind turbines! Why aren't those turbines being built in the US like we were promised?

Tigger_The_Tiger
Tigger_The_Tiger 02/10/10 - 07:39 pm
teharper........there is no

teharper........there is no such thing as "Government Money." It's TAXPAYER money.... THAT is part of the problem with socialism.......people start to believe that the government produces something........and don't worry about not citing your sources......I found them for ya.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 02/10/10 - 08:27 pm
I, for one, am grateful we,

I, for one, am grateful we, as a country, tried this horrible experiment on for size. Obama has filled many holes for the far left. A black man in the presidency shows anyone can be president. A Marxist in the presidency shows anyone can be president. A (very probable) foreigner in the presidency shows anyone can be president. Most of all, the endless mistakes by Obama, his hand picked czar/advisors and his mirror image congress has unified the conservative movement like no one else could have. Now when the far left starts all of their classic whines, we can point to this horrible experiment in diversity and say, "See, we tried it your way and look what happened!" Thank you Obama for being you. All we have to do is survive until November and we'll be on the way to healing our country.

webdesigns
webdesigns 02/11/10 - 10:17 am
Regarding President

Regarding President Obama..I’ve noticed ... I pay no attention when I hear his voice on the TV everyday anymore... because... I expect to hear him at least once a day... He gives more speeches than any other President I remember. Prior to President Obama, when I heard the President's voice during a regular work day.. I stopped whatever I was doing to immediately listen… thinking something must be horribly wrong in the USA.. Now it's just normal... I think he has greatly lowered the standards held for the office of President of the United States by doing this..It seems to be just canned speeches not real substance... He reminds me of an Amway salesman... He seems to think if he repeats his "sales" speech enough ... We will sign up.... Just my opinion...