Heaping helpings of hate

We applaud President Obama for calling for a new era of civility. It's badly needed.

We would simply point out that the president should start with his own liberal base -- whose hateful rhetoric has become utterly unhinged.

The bile dripping from their mouths has become too much to ignore, even if you try. Examples are proliferating with each turn of the calendar, but here are just a few:

- MSNBC's Keith Olbermann called Massachusetts Republican senatorial candidate Scott Brown "an irresponsible, homophobic, racist, reactionary, ex-nude model, teabagging supporter of violence against women and against politicians with whom he disagrees."

What a string of slime! ("Teabagging," by the way, is a slang term for an obscene act -- and all the liberals who use the term to describe patriotic anti-big-government protesters know that.)

- The same network's David Shuster said if Fox News host Glenn Beck's house caught on fire, the fire department should let it burn down.

- Liberal talk radio host Mike Malloy said this: "I have good news to report; Glenn Beck appears closer to suicide -- I'm hoping that he does it on camera; suicide is rampant in his family, and given his alcoholism and his tendencies towards self-destruction, I am only hoping that when Glenn Beck does put a gun to his head and pulls the trigger, that it's on television, because somebody will capture it on YouTube and it will be the most popular video for months."

Could that be any more out of line or vitriolic, personal or mean-spirited?

- Adds Bill Maher: "It is not that long before we're going to find Glenn Beck dressed as a woman or playing with his feces or something."

- About the pro-life Super Bowl ad to feature Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow, Kierra Johnson, executive director of Choice USA, says, "This un-American hate doesn't have a place in this all-American pastime."

Un-American hate? Because he is happy his mom gave birth to him? That's just irrational.

Watch the Super Bowl. View the ad. Then write to us at letters@augustachronicle.com. Tell us if you think it was hateful and un-American.

There's hate speech out there, all right.

And now you know where it's coming from.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 02/01/10 - 08:33 pm
Perhaps it's time to do away

Jake
Jake 02/01/10 - 08:47 pm
Uhh, do you think an

Uhh, do you think an independent party would do OUR bidding in politics or that of the corporate elite? Parties are not the answer. Having a true representative government would be nice but most of us can't afford to put politicians in our back pocket, so we may be heard, like the big shots do. If you think you count then tell me how many times have you been able to meet with your elected officials one on one?

Sargebaby_x
Sargebaby_x 02/01/10 - 08:51 pm
TruckinRanger sez; "Perhaps

TruckinRanger sez; "Perhaps it's time to do away will political parties all together- make everyone an independant."
__________________________________

I already said that! Now, there are two of us! Just wait until next week!

veritas14
veritas14 02/01/10 - 09:03 pm
Riverman- Civility in

Riverman- Civility in politics would also encompass the truth, not hypothetical comparisons.
Riverman states_Guys, again, the medicine Rush was taking for his back was prednisone. It's a steroid antiinflammatory. It's not a narcotic.
The TRUTH is the medications Rush Limbaught was filling was for Lorcet, Norco and Hydrocodone.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/10 - 09:08 pm
Veritas, the discussion was

Veritas, the discussion was what medicine Rush was taking for his back in Hawaii when he was admitted to the hospital. Answer: prednisone.

veritas14
veritas14 02/01/10 - 09:15 pm
Misinformation and deflection

Misinformation and deflection are also part of un-truth Riverman. Corgimom posted about Rush being an addict, your response was that he was on prednisone, an anti-inflammatory. Inferring you cannot become addicted to an anti-inflammatory, Rush meets the definition of an addict regardless of his back problems. Half a truth is still a lie.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/10 - 09:23 pm
Corigmom went into conjecture

Corigmom went into conjecture about Rush saying he was on medication when he was hospitalized. Once an addict, always an addict, yada, yada, yada. I replied he was on prednisone. You said he was taking various narcotics. Well, yeah, that's true, but that was years ago, not now. See the disconnect here? Following your logic, I could go right into Obama's past cocaine use and say once an addict always an addict, but I don't believe that's a valid conclusion. I do try to stick to the truth, the whole truth.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/01/10 - 09:24 pm
Somebody who has come out and

Somebody who has come out and publicly admitted to spending over $2k a year on co-pay for prescription medicines is giving us a lesson on somebody else's habits, this is absolutely hilarious!

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/10 - 09:25 pm
By the way, if you are

By the way, if you are calling Rush an addict, as you apparently are, because he takes prednisone, you are simply misinformed.

veritas14
veritas14 02/01/10 - 09:26 pm
Back in my younger and wilder

Back in my younger and wilder days I was arrested for DUI (a righteous bust, as they say) When the officer asked f I had been drinking, I COULD have told him I had been drinking coke which would have been a half truth, The whole truth was that the coke had large quantities of Jack Damage mixed in with it. There is the topic of the discussion. Civility in politics. The truth, not spin, fluff, deflection and outright lies that the politicians are so quick to vomit, along with assertions and disparaging comments that you and I have so far managed to avoid.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/10 - 09:29 pm
Cool, Veritas. I'm with ya.

Cool, Veritas. I'm with ya. Ain't we something? Ha.

veritas14
veritas14 02/01/10 - 09:29 pm
Prenisone, as you state is

Prenisone, as you state is not a narcotic. However, as to the "That was years ago" claim Once an addict, always an addict is a FACT. Ask any recovered alcoholic or addict if they can safely drink or use again.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/10 - 09:34 pm
The point is this discussion

The point is this discussion goes nowhere. I could go on and on about Obama's past drug use. My goodness the man said he would have tried heroin if the pusher had been nicer. He did use cocaine. So is he an addict now? Your emphasis on Rush's old drug use and mine on Obama's do nothing to promote the civility issue. It's time to wave bye to this subject like Oprah does with the fat on her arms continuing to wave after she stops.

veritas14
veritas14 02/01/10 - 09:37 pm
Use of a drug is not the same

Use of a drug is not the same as dependence. Not all those who have used are addicts, but all addicts have used. *Flabby arms waving*

KSL
KSL 02/01/10 - 09:53 pm
Bet, I don't know about

Bet, I don't know about Corgi, but some of us have huge deductibles and now no copays. But when the payment kicks in, it pays, no questions asked.

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 02/02/10 - 02:16 am
JoWillie, your post is the

JoWillie, your post is the reason for this thread. Before you even comment on the letter, you call Republicans every vile thing they will let stand in print, including the obscene term for the Tea Party people. You sir, are a hater of the first degree, and a perfect example of what this letter is about.

corgimom
corgimom 02/02/10 - 07:47 am
Sure, he's on prednizone. His

Sure, he's on prednizone. His back pain- you know, the pain that was so severe that he was addicted to pain killers and taking enormous amounts of them- is now so well-managed that he can play golf. Right. Gee, I wonder why he wasn't on that before? Does that even make one shred of sense to you? And, long-term use of prednizone kills. It's a terrible drug that does terrible things to your body. It's a steroid, and it's nasty stuff. Addicts just swap one addiction for another. He's an addict, and he always will be. Now instead of a narcotic high, he gets a steroid high. And people think that he has all the answers. OK.

willienelson
willienelson 02/02/10 - 09:39 am
Good morning all. Well, we've

Good morning all. Well, we've certainly solved this issue of civility. Our posts here show a true desire for most of us to help in this matter. I'm surprised it worked so easily. One article about increased civility and it's done. Rudeness is gone. Except for all you spineless cowards, erroneous idealogues, hate spewing buttheads who disagree with me. Thank you!

dominionfs
dominionfs 02/02/10 - 09:55 am
LOL @ willienelson 8:39

LOL @ willienelson 8:39

robbie1
robbie1 02/02/10 - 12:27 pm
I love it, Willie. If folks

I love it, Willie. If folks really want more civilitiy in our society try a few things... Hold a door open for a stranger (male or female). If someone holds one for you, sya, "Thank you, Sir/Ma'am." When you go to a business, begin the conversation with a "Hello" or "Good Morning", especially if you need to complain about something. Try to smile at the person even if you really want to choke them. If someone is rude, say, "Have a nice day" as you leave (this actually makes them mad, but it is fun...). When responding to posts, try to respond to the post not the poster. This is difficult at times (I fail miserably some times), so if you find you cannot do that, then ignore the cowards, idealogues and buttheads that Willie mentions. In other words, start with the person in the mirror. You may notice that those around you respond positively. Have a great, though cool and wet, day, Augusta.

usafvet
usafvet 02/02/10 - 02:29 pm
Profiling is not politically

Profiling is not politically correct, but as I read these posts I can't help but look beyond the comments alone. You can in most cases determine age, race, sex, political choice, type of employment ( white collar, blue collar, laborer, union or non-union) and also those whose salaries are paid by some level of government. You can also readily determine educational achievement, or lack of it. All these things make up what we are, how we cope, what we contribute to society, and many other things that distinguish us as individuals. But as I am reading responses to this article, there is a very disturbing showing of racism. There is not one person writing that has been a slave. There is not one person writing that has ever owned a slave. It is a subject that is moot and has been beaten to death. The very idea of reparations is stupid as well as dumbobama's idea of redistributing wealth. If you want something, equip yourself and go WORK for it. I worked for mine, served my country, saved for my future and I am going to continue rebeling against any one trying to take mine away from me. Forget slavery. If it returned, even Wal Mart couldn't sell them. GOD bless our troops and our veterans.

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 02/02/10 - 02:41 pm
OK usafvet, I'm game. Tell me

OK usafvet, I'm game. Tell me my profile.

butler123
butler123 02/02/10 - 03:30 pm
Prednisone isn't that kind of

Prednisone isn't that kind of a steroid. It is an anti-inflammatory and doesn't get you high at all.