Heaping helpings of hate

We applaud President Obama for calling for a new era of civility. It's badly needed.

We would simply point out that the president should start with his own liberal base -- whose hateful rhetoric has become utterly unhinged.

The bile dripping from their mouths has become too much to ignore, even if you try. Examples are proliferating with each turn of the calendar, but here are just a few:

- MSNBC's Keith Olbermann called Massachusetts Republican senatorial candidate Scott Brown "an irresponsible, homophobic, racist, reactionary, ex-nude model, teabagging supporter of violence against women and against politicians with whom he disagrees."

What a string of slime! ("Teabagging," by the way, is a slang term for an obscene act -- and all the liberals who use the term to describe patriotic anti-big-government protesters know that.)

- The same network's David Shuster said if Fox News host Glenn Beck's house caught on fire, the fire department should let it burn down.

- Liberal talk radio host Mike Malloy said this: "I have good news to report; Glenn Beck appears closer to suicide -- I'm hoping that he does it on camera; suicide is rampant in his family, and given his alcoholism and his tendencies towards self-destruction, I am only hoping that when Glenn Beck does put a gun to his head and pulls the trigger, that it's on television, because somebody will capture it on YouTube and it will be the most popular video for months."

Could that be any more out of line or vitriolic, personal or mean-spirited?

- Adds Bill Maher: "It is not that long before we're going to find Glenn Beck dressed as a woman or playing with his feces or something."

- About the pro-life Super Bowl ad to feature Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow, Kierra Johnson, executive director of Choice USA, says, "This un-American hate doesn't have a place in this all-American pastime."

Un-American hate? Because he is happy his mom gave birth to him? That's just irrational.

Watch the Super Bowl. View the ad. Then write to us at letters@augustachronicle.com. Tell us if you think it was hateful and un-American.

There's hate speech out there, all right.

And now you know where it's coming from.

mable8
mable8 02/01/10 - 03:00 pm
I don't have to watch the

I don't have to watch the superbowl to see the ad, it's already been played. Far as I am concerned, it seemed rather contrived--but he was payed well to say what he did. Did anyone ask his mother why she said no to an abortion? Probably not since she wouldn't give the answer the ad-makers wanted. Many women consider an abortion but don't follow through; it's what is called CHOICE that operates in decisions such as this. I should be the woman's CHOICE, not some guy who usually won't pay for the child's upbringing (if that isn't true, why are there so many dead-beat dads out there). As for the hate campaign against Americans who disagree with the current "administration," it shows just how narrow-minded these fools can be. The big O wouldn't know civility if it slapped him in the face; it isn't something he is familiar with and is why he throws his tantrums when he doesn't get his way.

corgimom
corgimom 02/01/10 - 03:27 pm
Cable tv stations- all of

Cable tv stations- all of them- are designed, and marketed to, particular niches. Ratings do not equal truth. Look at Dan Rather. Look at CBS. Look at how people were manipulated during Vietnam by the news stations. And watching a particular tv station does not necessarily translate into votes. And, in the end, it's the vote that counts. If Beck, Limbaugh, etc. were so powerful, why do we have Obama as President? Results don't lie, you know? What amazes me is the people that actually think that those entertainers are sincere in what they say. They would say anything for ratings. All of them- on all the stations- take things out of context, twist things, don't report material facts that greatly alter the meaning of what was said- and then there are viewers that believe that what they say is 100% gospel truth. That's like believing everything you read in the National Enquirer.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/01/10 - 03:42 pm
Corgi - How many folks that

Corgi - How many folks that voted for Obama do you actually think listen(ed) to those guys to become informed? I think there is your answer.

corgimom
corgimom 02/01/10 - 04:04 pm
Who knows? But why should

Who knows? But why should they listen to them? They don't have to, and Rush Limbaugh- a drug addict, of all things- doesn't know any more than the rest of us. The US is a very complex country with very complex issues. The "news" isn't about truth. There wouldn't be enough time or enough money to present all viewpoints. Why would people think that those entertainers are any more credible than anyone else?

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/01/10 - 04:20 pm
Corgimom, you are right,

Corgimom, you are right, ratings do not equal truth, just as votes do not equal the best man for the job. Just because voters voted on what they thought was the truth or change they were promised, doesn't always mean that's what they get.

dani
dani 02/01/10 - 05:00 pm
corgi That is not playing

corgi That is not playing nice. The people who are or have been addicted to pain killers are ordinary folks.. My brothert in-law was addicted after back surgery. It happens to the best of us.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/10 - 05:15 pm
Let's all tune into Glenn

Let's all tune into Glenn Beck now and see if he is rude as Olberman and Co.

corgimom
corgimom 02/01/10 - 05:16 pm
You are welcome to think that

You are welcome to think that he got addicted because of back surgery. But ask yourself this. He is a millionaire. He could go to rehab any time. The four times- FOUR TIMES- that he went to rehab, he was forced to go, and the fourth time was part of a plea bargain. He only went so that he wouldn't get convicted. And he lied, and cheated, and made other people lie for him, to get his high. And people think he's great. He's a junkie, like all of them, and he's not done yet. An addict is an addict is an addict. And he was in pain? You mean when he went on his Caribbean vacations, he was in terrible pain? Right. His terrible pain didn't stop him from vacations, now did it? Ever wonder how his pain miraculously disappeared?

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/10 - 05:19 pm
Who can't tell the difference

Who can't tell the difference in an opinion show and a news show? One is an editorial and the other is a report of events. I do believe everyone gets that. We are getting out in left field here.

corgimom
corgimom 02/01/10 - 05:24 pm
Lots of people, Riverman.

Lots of people, Riverman. There are people who think because Fox's slogan of "Fair and Balanced"- a slogan, like "Double your pleasure, double your fun"- means it's true. And it's just as credible as Doublemint gum doubling your pleasure.

crackerjack
crackerjack 02/01/10 - 05:25 pm
The Democrats have had

The Democrats have had control of Congress for over 3 years now!

But of course, it's Bush's fault.

www.goooh.com

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/01/10 - 05:27 pm
It is so oblivious, it is a

It is so oblivious, it is a joke. The left uses hate with document lies and without FACTS, The right uses hate with documented FACTS and common sense. Simple!

corgimom
corgimom 02/01/10 - 05:43 pm
Um, oblivious? Ok.

Um, oblivious? Ok.

Roeschen
Roeschen 02/01/10 - 05:54 pm
Like GAterp, I watch very

Like GAterp, I watch very little tv. Most of it is simplistic nonsense. I keep the tv on because my parrot likes the noise. She likes NCIS. What really bothers me is to turn on the news and get some air-head's opinion instead of straight news. I can form my own opinions, I don't need someone to tell me what this/that means. I want to know what is happening where. Pretty simple. I also don't care where someone is tingling. That sounds to me like a personal problem that needs to be addressed with a urologist, not broadcast to the few Americans who will listen.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/01/10 - 05:54 pm
corgimom, you can tear me a

corgimom, you can tear me a new one better than that. Tell me why I am so wrong.

corgimom
corgimom 02/01/10 - 06:16 pm
ICL, based on his KNOWN

ICL, based on his KNOWN prescription purchases, he was taking 8 times the normal dosage per day. Yes, I am uncompassionate for slimy people. What compassion do you have for his housekeeper, who was forced to lie for him and commit a Federal crime to keep her job? He is rolling in money. He could've bought them anywhere. When someone is supposedly in so much pain that he's taking 8 times the dosage, no, they don't go on Caribbean vacations. Junkies are junkies. Again- how did his pain miraculously disappear? And, if you know about pain medication, that amount isn't therapeutic- he was chasing the high. Ever wonder how he managed to take all his "necessary" pain meds out of the country and come back through Customs for all those years? What is he using now for pain relief? He'll be back, he's not done. 8 times the therapeutic dose, and now you naively think he's not using anything? "Back pain" is the classic Oxy junkie excuse. Did he ever look or sound in pain to you?

corgimom
corgimom 02/01/10 - 06:22 pm
ICL- 12/31/09- "Sources say

ICL- 12/31/09- "Sources say Limbaugh told emergency workers he was taking medication for a back problem. He was treated at the hotel before being transferred to the hospital.

While in Hawaii on vacation over the holidays, Limbaugh had been seen golfing at the Waialae Country Club, according to KITV."

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/10 - 06:26 pm
There have been many people

There have been many people who have successfully gotten past drug addiction. Oprah comes to mind, plus about every actor in Hollywood. There's no stigma attached to Rush now because he beat it as many others have.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/10 - 06:25 pm
It was reported Rush was

It was reported Rush was taking prednisone for his back.

KSL
KSL 02/01/10 - 06:36 pm
Could it be he didn't look

Could it be he didn't look like he was in pain because he was taking all of that pain medicine????

Roeschen
Roeschen 02/01/10 - 06:44 pm
Corgimom - Only if you are

Corgimom - Only if you are youreself without sin can you stand in judgment of Rush Limbaugh, or any other person who got the necessary help to overcome his/her problems. He was in denial, he finally understood what his problems were, he got help, he is now better. Simple as that. The point is, he beat his problem. BTW, nobody is forced to lie. His housekeeper could very easily have told the truth. She may have been without that particular job but so what? I broke my back years ago. The pain is constant. It took me over a year to learn to walk again. While I don't take pain killers, I can understand why people do. I am now able to walk, ride my motorcycle, ride my horse, and do just about anything else I wish. I guess most people would not think I am in pain because I still do what I can. Just because people don't think I am in pain doesn't mean the pain isn't there.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/10 - 06:50 pm
There's an obvious point that

There's an obvious point that goes unmentioned here. Jeff Immelt, the CEO of GE, parent company of NBC is Obama's advisor and meets daily with him to go over talking points. Immelt has said Chris Matthews and Keith Olberman are the "flagships" of MSNBC. The administration could do their part to improve the civility of our politics by telling their man, Immelt to reel it in if they were really sincere.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/01/10 - 07:05 pm
Corgimom, the important word

Corgimom, the important word in your post is WAS. He told emergency workers in Hawaii that he was taking medication for a back problem, what...you wanted him to lie about it? Also there are a lot of people that have back pain and are on medication and still do things they enjoy. They just do it while dealing with the pain. I guess you'd prefer they lay up in the bed moaning and groaning all day, having a pity party. I do believe you've mentioned on here before that you have medical issues. Who's to say that one day you might be in the same set of shoes....never say never because when you are in extreme pain you may just come to the breaking point yourself.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/10 - 07:07 pm
Guys, again, the medicine

Guys, again, the medicine Rush was taking for his back was prednisone. It's a steroid antiinflammatory. It's not a narcotic.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/10 - 07:08 pm
This is crazy getting on Rush

This is crazy getting on Rush for a past drug problem. Obama used cocaine before. Is anyone predicting his return to cocaine use? Patrick Kennedy, Oprah?

veritas14
veritas14 02/01/10 - 07:17 pm
Riverman posted: This is

Riverman posted: This is crazy getting on Rush for a past drug problem.
Lets play with that......
This is crazy getting on John Edwards for a past indiscretion.
This is crazy getting on Cynthia McKinney...
This is crazy getting on Corduray....
This is crazy getting on Chiquita....
Etc, Etc
Circumstance does not make the man, it reveals him to himself.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/10 - 07:27 pm
Let me help you with that

Let me help you with that logic. This is crazy getting on Al Qaeda? So you think every circumstance fits the illogic of slamming people for past drug use? That doesn't compute. It's an invalid inference. Should we make an issue of Obama's admitted cocaine use and the possibility of him going back to it when the point of the editorial is more civility in politics?

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 02/01/10 - 07:33 pm
Perhaps it's time to do away

Jake
Jake 02/01/10 - 07:47 pm
Uhh, do you think an

Uhh, do you think an independent party would do OUR bidding in politics or that of the corporate elite? Parties are not the answer. Having a true representative government would be nice but most of us can't afford to put politicians in our back pocket, so we may be heard, like the big shots do. If you think you count then tell me how many times have you been able to meet with your elected officials one on one?

Sargebaby_x
Sargebaby_x 02/01/10 - 07:51 pm
TruckinRanger sez; "Perhaps

TruckinRanger sez; "Perhaps it's time to do away will political parties all together- make everyone an independant."
__________________________________

I already said that! Now, there are two of us! Just wait until next week!