Heaping helpings of hate

We applaud President Obama for calling for a new era of civility. It's badly needed.

We would simply point out that the president should start with his own liberal base -- whose hateful rhetoric has become utterly unhinged.

The bile dripping from their mouths has become too much to ignore, even if you try. Examples are proliferating with each turn of the calendar, but here are just a few:

- MSNBC's Keith Olbermann called Massachusetts Republican senatorial candidate Scott Brown "an irresponsible, homophobic, racist, reactionary, ex-nude model, teabagging supporter of violence against women and against politicians with whom he disagrees."

What a string of slime! ("Teabagging," by the way, is a slang term for an obscene act -- and all the liberals who use the term to describe patriotic anti-big-government protesters know that.)

- The same network's David Shuster said if Fox News host Glenn Beck's house caught on fire, the fire department should let it burn down.

- Liberal talk radio host Mike Malloy said this: "I have good news to report; Glenn Beck appears closer to suicide -- I'm hoping that he does it on camera; suicide is rampant in his family, and given his alcoholism and his tendencies towards self-destruction, I am only hoping that when Glenn Beck does put a gun to his head and pulls the trigger, that it's on television, because somebody will capture it on YouTube and it will be the most popular video for months."

Could that be any more out of line or vitriolic, personal or mean-spirited?

- Adds Bill Maher: "It is not that long before we're going to find Glenn Beck dressed as a woman or playing with his feces or something."

- About the pro-life Super Bowl ad to feature Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow, Kierra Johnson, executive director of Choice USA, says, "This un-American hate doesn't have a place in this all-American pastime."

Un-American hate? Because he is happy his mom gave birth to him? That's just irrational.

Watch the Super Bowl. View the ad. Then write to us at letters@augustachronicle.com. Tell us if you think it was hateful and un-American.

There's hate speech out there, all right.

And now you know where it's coming from.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/01/10 - 09:22 am
It's truly sad when you have

It's truly sad when you have people who are willing to buy a ticket to watch someone kill themselves. By the way, peonynut...Beck is very passionate about what he believes, you may not agree with his view, and that is your right. Just because he's passionate about where the United States of America is heading doesn't mean he's going to go bonkers and wack himself.

Notreally
Notreally 02/01/10 - 09:33 am
ICL if you (being a

ICL if you (being a christian) thinks what Beck spews isn't antichrist and mark of the beast nuttery OMG your ears and eyes are shut. The very minute Beck tell his listeners to go HARM and defend in the name of the republic they will watch. Beck = Jim Jones = in time someone listening to him will carry out harm.

TheDeerhunter
TheDeerhunter 02/01/10 - 09:37 am
"MY BLACK GIRLFRIENDS by

"MY BLACK GIRLFRIENDS
by Tiger Woods" LMAO!!!By the way Teabagging is not an obscene act. Tiger was more than likely recieving it all over the country.

dashiel
dashiel 02/01/10 - 09:57 am
Thank you Cliff. A

Thank you Cliff. A compliment from you is rare and therefore gratifying. From your posts, I believe you are a conservative who thinks for himself.
I used to call such individuals Republicans and respected them and their (own) opinions. There IS still room for rational policy decisions and even temperament, but it will only come about when both liberals and conservatives are honest enough to concentrate on the business at hand. It is NOT okay to put partisanship before issues of national importance. I think we can both agree on that.

corgimom
corgimom 02/01/10 - 10:03 am
OBX- The Amish Phone

OBX- The Amish Phone Directory- it consists of blank pages
OJ Simpson- My Search For the Real Killer
John Edwards-Speaking the Truth
Mark Sanford-Hiking the Appalachian Trail For Fun and Profit

obx2019
obx2019 02/01/10 - 10:48 am
Corgi, those weren't in the

Corgi, those weren't in the email I received...Those are funny as well.;-)

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 02/01/10 - 10:53 am
Good editorial.

Good editorial.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/10 - 11:05 am
It's interesting that when I

It's interesting that when I called for examples of conservatives on the air spewing hate, the best the liberals on here came up with are some very old and questionable quotes. Rush was joking on one of those even. On the other hand, you can tune into MSNBC nightly and hear vile, obscene comments. As far as Michael Savage, heck he just hates about everyone, ha. Haven't you heard him going off on Limbaugh, Bush and others? Still I love his opinonated shows with his stories of his life. It is a different kind of show.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/10 - 11:11 am
Glenn Beck bothers liberals

Glenn Beck bothers liberals to no end because he presents things in a straight forward, simple way on his blackboard. As far as Beck calling Obama a racist, it was in response to the Gates affair where Obama took the side of Prof. Gates for little reason. Everyone knows by now that was obviously a mistake. I honestly don't get the wrath Beck draws from the liberals. I started to watch his show just to figure it out.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/01/10 - 11:13 am
Let's all hope the

Let's all hope the suggestions of President Obama are followed and everyone becomes more courteous. Let's monitor MSNBC and Fox News and see how they do tonight.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/01/10 - 11:37 am
Notreally, what does me being

Notreally, what does me being a Christian have to do with what I wrote. Like I said, if you don't agree with Beck's opinion, that's your right. I never said anything about him spewing or not spewing antichrist or mark of the beast verbiage (do I need to look that word up for you?). I don't believe I have heard Beck tell anyone to harm another, but then again I haven't watched every show. Please provide fact on where he has actually told someone to go and harm and defend in the name of the republic or is this just some more of your empty hogwash.

southernguy08
southernguy08 02/01/10 - 11:39 am
Hey, JOEWILLIE, your 4:03

Hey, JOEWILLIE, your 4:03 post shows you should be catching up on your sleeping, instead of posting on the AC. JW, have you seen the news lately? Your party is getting it's butt handed to it on a platter. You posted, "Come November, the whole nation will turn Democrat blue." If the whole nation turns blue, it will only be from the people holding their breath, hoping that the Dems are finally not in control anymore. Tell me, JOEWILLIE, do you still whistle in the dark? Sure sounds like it.

GAterp
GAterp 02/01/10 - 11:49 am
I used to watch Olbermann

I used to watch Olbermann until he went wacko. So anymore, I don't watch Fox, MSNBC, or other cable BS. I am not watching movies on DVD. They are a lot more entertaining. About the only thing that I really watch on TV anymore is sports, some NFL & college B-ball. Most TV really stinks anyway. And I'm reading a lot more now too. And to tell you the truth, I feel a lot better. Less hate & complaining makes for a more peaceful existence. You really do not need lawyers, doctors, and the government if you just live correctly.

GAterp
GAterp 02/01/10 - 11:51 am
Point of clarification. I

Point of clarification. I meant to say I am not watching TV, just movies on DVD. Sorry about the confusion.

Notreally
Notreally 02/01/10 - 01:03 pm
A Black Fact - in celebration

A Black Fact - in celebration of Black History Month Day 1
George Crum
Inventor of Potato Chips

Every time a person crunches into a potato chip, he or she is enjoying the delicious taste of one of the world's most famous snacks – a treat that might not exist without the contribution of black inventor George Crum.

The son of an African-American father and a Native American mother, Crum was working as the chef in the summer of 1853 when he incidentally invented the chip. It all began when a patron who ordered a plate of French-fried potatoes sent them back to Crum's kitchen because he felt they were too thick and soft.

To teach the picky patron a lesson, Crum sliced a new batch of potatoes as thin as he possibly could, and then fried them until they were hard and crunchy. Finally, to top them off, he added a generous heaping of salt. To Crum's surprise, the dish ended up being a hit with the patron and a new snack was born!

corgimom
corgimom 02/01/10 - 01:07 pm
"Glenn Beck bothers liberals

"Glenn Beck bothers liberals to no end because he presents things in a straight forward, simple way on his blackboard. " When he's not lying, you mean? Con or liberal, a man that would lie about two women is just despicable. And it was a stupid, pointless lie. I don't care what he has to say, he has no credibility with me.

SuzyQ
SuzyQ 02/01/10 - 01:38 pm
ICL: "mark of the beast

ICL: "mark of the beast verbiage (do I need to look that word up for you?)."- Wow- I'm sure JC would be proud of his follower. I usually see your posts as balanced and somewhat kind. What happened that made you cruel? I hope your writings go back to the way you use to be- you got a good point across without being cruel or condescending.

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/01/10 - 01:39 pm
Then don't watch him

Then don't watch him corgimom. My question is, if Beck, Hannity, O'Reilly, and all the other news/opinion shows are all liars, and wackos, then why is the Fox News ratings so much higher than all the other cable news/opinion shows hands down? Evidently there are a lot of people who are interested in their opinons judging by their ratings.

SuzyQ
SuzyQ 02/01/10 - 01:41 pm
GAterp: kinda like you on

GAterp: kinda like you on this- I started watching a new show- "Modern Family"- it is so entertaining and funny, tune in on Wednesday night for a wicked chuckle, I think its on at 9pm on abc (double check the time though)

SuzyQ
SuzyQ 02/01/10 - 01:42 pm
ICL: not really, its like

ICL: not really, its like kind of going by a car acident, you don't want to look but can't help yourself.

SuzyQ
SuzyQ 02/01/10 - 01:43 pm
Notreally; very cool fact!

Notreally; very cool fact!

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/01/10 - 01:44 pm
SuzyQ, if you have followed

SuzyQ, if you have followed "notreally"'s constant demeaning post when conversing with me you would understand where this comment came from. Did not Jesus Christ rebuke those who mocked his teachings? Notreally claims to be a "christian" but his/her actions have always contradicted his profession when it comes to posting on here. Although it probably wasn't the kindest thing for me to write, I'm only human and I apologize if it offended you.

SuzyQ
SuzyQ 02/01/10 - 01:46 pm
No apologies needed girlie- i

No apologies needed girlie- i just think you happen to be way above that level. Remember: you can lead a horse to water......

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/01/10 - 01:46 pm
SuzyQ, as with a car

SuzyQ, as with a car accident, you usually stop and look but if you don't like what you see you move along. If these shows offend a viewer then I would think they would listen for a moment and then move on to something that agrees with them.

SuzyQ
SuzyQ 02/01/10 - 01:46 pm
or shoot it. LOL- kidding!

or shoot it. LOL- kidding!

SuzyQ
SuzyQ 02/01/10 - 01:48 pm
I'm a channel surfer- i

I'm a channel surfer- i understand what you are saying. Alot of people feed off that crap- did you notice that? Bad news and gossip travel faster than the speed of light; well then keep me in the dark. LOL

InChristLove
InChristLove 02/01/10 - 01:48 pm
Have a blessed day SuzyQ and

Have a blessed day SuzyQ and thanks for being kind in your reprimand. I will try and behave myself. LOL

SuzyQ
SuzyQ 02/01/10 - 01:50 pm
Please don't think it was a

Please don't think it was a reprimand- I didn't mean it that way- gentle reminder of who you really are.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 02/01/10 - 02:21 pm
Well, one thing you say from

Well, one thing you say from the statistics is that liberal (excuse me, "Progressive") media outlets aren't fairing all that well. Air America just went down. On the other hand, more conservative outlets seems to be thriving. Why? Is it marketing? Is it boredom on the part of the listeners? Is it because truth is spoken on one, but fantasy and hatred on the other? It's an interesting development.

BetanInyoe
BetanInyoe 02/01/10 - 02:47 pm
howcan - Please allow me to

howcan - Please allow me to offer this possible explanation. The segment of society that chooses to be informed and stay current on the topics are smart enough to find the most factual news sources and actually pay attention. Those who choose to get their news from Entertainment Tonight and Oprah and vote for Idols (presidential or otherwise) don't show up in the ratings since they aren't interested in watching actual news.

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...