We would simply point out that the president should start with his own liberal base -- whose hateful rhetoric has become utterly unhinged.
The bile dripping from their mouths has become too much to ignore, even if you try. Examples are proliferating with each turn of the calendar, but here are just a few:
- MSNBC's Keith Olbermann called Massachusetts Republican senatorial candidate Scott Brown "an irresponsible, homophobic, racist, reactionary, ex-nude model, teabagging supporter of violence against women and against politicians with whom he disagrees."
What a string of slime! ("Teabagging," by the way, is a slang term for an obscene act -- and all the liberals who use the term to describe patriotic anti-big-government protesters know that.)
- The same network's David Shuster said if Fox News host Glenn Beck's house caught on fire, the fire department should let it burn down.
- Liberal talk radio host Mike Malloy said this: "I have good news to report; Glenn Beck appears closer to suicide -- I'm hoping that he does it on camera; suicide is rampant in his family, and given his alcoholism and his tendencies towards self-destruction, I am only hoping that when Glenn Beck does put a gun to his head and pulls the trigger, that it's on television, because somebody will capture it on YouTube and it will be the most popular video for months."
Could that be any more out of line or vitriolic, personal or mean-spirited?
- Adds Bill Maher: "It is not that long before we're going to find Glenn Beck dressed as a woman or playing with his feces or something."
- About the pro-life Super Bowl ad to feature Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow, Kierra Johnson, executive director of Choice USA, says, "This un-American hate doesn't have a place in this all-American pastime."
Un-American hate? Because he is happy his mom gave birth to him? That's just irrational.
Watch the Super Bowl. View the ad. Then write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Tell us if you think it was hateful and un-American.
There's hate speech out there, all right.
And now you know where it's coming from.