Rick McKee Editorial Cartoon

omnomnom
omnomnom 10/06/12 - 06:05 am
i've no sympathy for the man

i've no sympathy for the man dreaming of a chicken leg.

if big bird can find work he can too.

GET A JOB YOU HOBO

FYI
PBS gets less than .0001% of the federal budget
PBS's budget is 7% funded by federal and state governments.

mitt's a joke. well, they're both jokes.

chascushman
chascushman 10/06/12 - 09:04 am
The big joke is in the WH

The big joke is in the WH

chascushman
chascushman 10/06/12 - 09:15 am
Former General Electric boss

Former General Electric boss Jack Welch said on his Twitter page that the numbers appeared manipulated.

"Unbelievable jobs numbers..these Chicago guys will do anything..can't debate so change numbers," Welch said on his Twitter page, referring to President Barack Obama's performance in the first presidential debate earlier this week.

sgmret
sgmret 10/06/12 - 09:57 am
Big Bird is not going away.

Big Bird is not going away.

gaflyboy
gaflyboy 10/06/12 - 03:44 pm
I've no sympathy for Big Bird (as much as I like him)

We don't know the man's story and you're likely right about him just being a hobo.

But, Big Bird and Sesame Street are a multi-million dollar enterprise that can easily operate without taking corporate welfare. For PBS to take it anyway is a lesson I wouldn’t want them teaching my kids.

This argument about them getting “less than .0001% of the federal budget” doesn’t hold water when you consider that there are thousands of “little” programs like this; $.62M to digitize Grateful Dead memorabilia, to $1M for zoo poetry plaques and $.15M for a VT “critter crossing”. They add up and not one of these “insignificant” expenses are worth putting my grandchildren in debt! It is morally wrong for the government to waste money we don’t have on things we don’t need.

I watch PBS, but the fact that they are in part sponsored by the federal government has always been troubling. With PBS informing and educating so many, is it possible that they would adopt agendas favorable to the government? The press (media) in the US has a critical role; to hold politicians accountable. Can they do that when politicians hold their purse strings? PBS is not PRAVDA, but it is too close to a line that should not exist in America.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 10/06/12 - 02:06 pm
gaflyboy...

....mega thumbs up!!

fedex227
fedex227 10/06/12 - 10:17 pm
Actually, the fact that Mr. Romney

wouldn't mind seeing the Public Broadcasting Service die is clear from his own statements (not a big money maker in his book.) What a waste. I've always found that Public Broadcasting was a particularly safe haven for me, for my family, and for my children and grandchildren (as an educational institution). Obviously Mr. Mckee does not agree. Hope all of his children will tune into the much more popular and profitable 'Family Guy'. Good luck.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/06/12 - 10:41 pm
I like to post my ideas,

but gaflyboy said it better than I could.

KSL
KSL 10/06/12 - 11:46 pm
Fed

If he actually said that, all you Dems have to do is make up the small amount the Feds pay in with your donations. He isn't threatening to take it off the air entirely, if you catch my drift.
By the way, that is a subsidy to a private enterprise. Can you explain why the so called subsidies to the energy companies for a product so much more needed for our countries' operation are so villified. Actually not grants but tax writeoffs for actually doing something.

Bruno
Bruno 10/07/12 - 09:51 am
Why can't PBS live off of the

Why can't PBS live off of the proceeds of all of the Sesame Street trademarked merchandise? According to pro-PBS people they only get 7% of their budget from the taxpayers. I would argue that they won't miss the 7%. In fact Forbes had an article stating much the same. They lost my support when they started running advertisements on their programs.