Rick McKee Editorial Cartoon

burninater
burninater 09/06/12 - 11:30 pm
If you vote Republican, you

If you vote Republican, you go against the will of SATAN!!!!!

That is, like, SO cool. Politics is GOD vs SATAN!!!!!!!!!!

Remember what we've told you since Sunday school dear believers, and ... vote appropriately. You know what Jesus thinks about Satan. Don't break His heart by voting for the wrong party.

lovingthesouth72
lovingthesouth72 09/07/12 - 09:42 am
Those silly Demoncrats

Those DEMONcrats have a great ally in the Devil himself. He is the father of lies and has done a great job of polluting the minds of a party that used to be good. Granted, not all democrats are bad, just like not all republicans are good. Both parties have their share of losers, but at this point it's pretty obvious which party has the upper hand in matters of morality. Quite sad and ironic was the undemocratic way that God was reinserted in the platform at the convention. If you saw the video you would agree that the decision was made w/out a majority, and quite frankly for those that opposed the meassure, the issue was forced on them. And THIS is the party you all want to give four more years to? The one that clearly ingnores the voices within their own party? What will it take for people to wake up in this country? FOUR MORE MONTHS is ALL Obama is getting this time around.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 09/07/12 - 09:54 am
Burn, your sarcasm usually is humorous,

but this time, it's clear you simply don't get it. For those of us who believe in a God who actually cares about us and pays attention to what we do, moral issues are quite important, especially when they end up being part of public policy and the law of the land.

And we're not all simpering fools who automatically believe and practice whatever absurd doctrine gets put in front of us. Many of us are quite intelligent, very well educated in secular-humanities, scientific and theological disciplines.

More people than you apparently would realize are guided by rationality informed by well-developed critical thinking skills, as well as by faith.

On this, and somewhat uncharacteristically, you seem to be the one who is rather poorly informed.

burninater
burninater 09/07/12 - 03:22 pm
Fiat, I would argue that you

Fiat, I would argue that you are not looking at this little bit of cheap propaganda objectively. In response to your points:

1) Moral issues are quite important to those who do not believe in God as well as those that do.

I challenge you to find any moral position in this cartoon. Your response despite the absence of a moral position would imply that you have already absorbed the implied symbolic relation here: Republicans = Godly, Democrats = Satanic. As an educated individual, I would hope that you would find the tendency to accept that symbology as tacitly true to be troubling.

2) In no way did I state that all religious thinkers were simpering fools. Also, I don't believe McKee is a simpering fool. I simply don't believe that this cartoon was intended for a sophisticated audience.

I do believe, however, that many people are easily swayed by authority. This is something that has been shown to be true both historically, and in psychological research.

For this reason, I find the use of religious symbols of fear and evil to produce a desired political response in religious followers to be a troubling thing.

burninater
burninater 09/07/12 - 03:31 pm
But heck, don't take my word

But heck, don't take my word for it. Just ask lovingthesouth about the "DEMONcrats" with their "great ally in the Devil himself" who is "polluting the minds of the party ...".

I don't set out to build straw man arguments. I try to respond objectively to the very things I see and hear from real people on an almost daily basis.

KSL
122017
KSL 09/07/12 - 07:40 pm
Burn, I do believe that is

Burn, I do believe that is the most revealing you have been about yourself. You fascinate me. I am uninterested in those who post here who are receiving or who have relatives who are receiving benefits from the govmint.

fedex227
fedex227 09/08/12 - 12:05 am
Couldn't agree more burninater ...

You're right in stating the cartoon was not meant for a sophisticated audience. It was only meant to reinforce the belief by some that voting Rebublcan was simply doing God's work because all Democrats are evil. Mr. McKee is not a simpering fool - he's just doing what he's paid to do. It's as simple as that.

World Gone Crazy
World Gone Crazy 09/11/12 - 02:11 pm
Spot on, Rick!

Let's see: Dems were on the side of slavery, against the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments, against the Eisenhower / Nixon Civil Rights Acts of the 50's, for firehoses on blacks in the 60's (Bull Connor, George Wallace), for abortion on demand - including partial birth abortion (why isn't Josef Mengele running for the Dems?!?), for the cradle-to-grave nanny state (assuming one could make it to the cradle, that is), against prayer in school (or anywhere else), for Hamas and other Muslim terrorists (ahem, I mean, "freedom fighters"), for the Unaffordable HealthCare Scam (more abortions, plus euthanasia thrown in for "fun"), etc. Gosh, I just can't imagine why Dems would have ANY difficulty deciding if God should or should not be included in their platform.