Rick McKee editorial cartoon

KSL 07/17/12 - 10:58 pm
Good one.

Good one.

Rick McKee
Rick McKee 07/18/12 - 12:40 am
Also out of context

Your quote is also out of context. I accurately captured the larger message of his speech.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/18/12 - 04:40 am
Yep

Rick you did indeed capture the context of the speech. Most of us are able to think for ourselves and don't have to depend on some liberal mouth piece to tell us what to think.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/18/12 - 05:09 am
Former Business Owner

As a former business owner, no I could not have made it own my own. But please remember if I hadn't taken it upon MYSELF to go into business my employees wouldn't have had a job either. Not to mention I was the one taking all the financial risks. Now you may want to know why I am no longer a business owner. The answer is simple, government interference and taxes. As a sole proprietorship my taxes amounted to nearly 50% of my income. Income was figured basically as gross income minus expenses, the the government wanted nearly half of that. It didn't take me long to figure out it wasn't worth it. Since it was a construction related business I also had to deal with OSHA. Some of OSHA's regulations do make sense, others are just plain stupid. As in I was asked why I was climbing a ladder with soft soled shoes. I was informed the hard soled boots with a minimum of 1/2 heel was required to be on a ladder. Makes perfect sense if I was working on the ladder. But I wasn't. I was simply climbing the ladder to get to the roof, where hard soled boots would have then been a safety hazard. The only way to be in complete compliance would have been to climb the ladder with the boots on, then change foot wear when I reached the roof. I know this example doesn't have any bearing on finances, just an example of how the government tries to control every thing.

gaflyboy
gaflyboy 07/18/12 - 07:00 am
It’s infuriating!

But understandable in President Obama’s case. He’s just speaking from experience.

It also verges on plagiarism. Elizabeth Warren (Cherokee from MA) said this last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOyDR2b71ag

Excellent job Rick!

gaflyboy
gaflyboy 07/18/12 - 09:33 am
C'mon grouse

You must have copied and pasted the above without reading (or listening to) it. It's right in the middle ... "If you’ve got a business. you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen."

That's absurd!

MOXrocks
MOXrocks 07/18/12 - 10:05 am
@grouse.When you post the

@grouse.

When you post the speech in its entirety it totally validates what everyone else on here is saying - it is what he meant. You mean to tell me that a president that cannot sneeze without a teleprompter is being misunderstood or it's part of a larger concept "we the collective people." He knew exactly what he was saying - 'without government you can do nothing.' Which is not American. We the people is not we the government, it is the people. He wants to destroy the very fabric of our nation and replace it with a marxist utopia where the rich are bad and the poor oppressed middle class get their fair shot that the rich are holding them back from. It's just not within the realm of belief that he meant anything other than what he said. Steal from the rich and give to the poor. I'm middle class and I say even the poor and middle class should pay equal taxes as the rich. Broaden the base and lighten the load - fair tax. Why are you exempt just because you dont make a lot of money. I used to make a lot less money and I still paid taxes and I would have never said tax the rich more because they have been successful. I aspire to one day be that successful. Americans need to rediscover hard work and aspiration and leave entitlement to Europe.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/18/12 - 01:56 pm
grouse c&p

Now, please tell me who built my business if I didn't do it........... dang, the silence is deafening.

World Gone Crazy
World Gone Crazy 07/18/12 - 03:28 pm
Success Envy

This is what people say who have never built anything in their lives, who have been given everything, and who live by different rules than the rest of us. It is success envy, and no one demonstrates it more than the ObamaFuehrer.