Why I switched to Republican: We need jobs

Certainly, it has surprised some in our community that as a lifelong Democrat and a member of the United Steelworkers of America for 36 years, I decided to become a Republican.

It wasn't a choice I made capriciously, nor was it something that hadn't already been a long time coming.

I'D LIKE TO START out by saying that I'm proud to be a steelworker, and proud for standing up for jobs in Georgetown County, S.C. I've been president of USW Local 7898 for 22 years.

But now, the plant is idle and people around here are hurting. Men and women, committed to putting in a hard day's work to provide for their families, are now doing whatever they can to get by.

I don't need to tell you that a person's work is important. Just look at a man who has been out of work, then look at one who just got a new job, or just got called back to work after a layoff. It's night and day. Unfortunately, around here, we've been seeing a lot more people out of work than those getting jobs. That has to change.

The fact is, Democrats aren't doing it. They aren't getting it done when it comes to creating jobs and securing a good business climate.

For years, I was a Democrat because I thought they represented the interests of working people. That's certainly not true anymore. They seem to have forgotten that when you harm businesses, you take away their ability to hire new people or even keep current employees on staff.

One example is the cap-and-trade debacle that they've taken up. This will take a giant sledgehammer to the American manufacturing base. The plant I worked in for so many years would probably never reopen. All those people I worked so hard for on behalf of the union would be dealt a critical blow.

I moved to Georgetown County in 1974. Democrats have been in control of the county council for almost all of the ensuing years. What do they have to show for it? Precious little. Over the years, it's become very obvious that the Republican Party in the county is the real standard-bearer for job creation. It's not that hard to figure out.

WHEN YOU'RE pro-business, you're pro-worker, too. As companies prosper and expand, people get hired, and get raises and better benefits. A company that's doing well doesn't want to lose good employees. So, if they're doing a good job, and you're doing a good job, everybody wins. That's why we can't tax and regulate businesses to within an inch of their lives.

Republicans understand this. I've been for lower taxes for as long as I can remember. You can't do what the Democrats are doing -- raising taxes on people -- while the government is spending money on foolish items and programs. You can't slap massive tax increases on companies and expect them to go on a hiring blitz. It simply defies reality.

Some people don't know this, but a lot of union members, like myself, are conservative. We believe in faith and family. We have a reverence for tradition. We love our country, and want it to be strong.

WE OPPOSE ILLEGAL immigration and support strong borders because America doesn't need people breaking the law coming into the country to take our jobs and take advantage of our government programs without paying the tax dollars that fund those programs. Our nation is one of immigrants, but legal immigrants. If you want to live and work here, you have to obey the law like everyone else.

I've talked to the membership in the local, and a good portion of the members are coming with me, working to help get Republicans elected. I don't see a contradiction in my being a union member and a Republican, because the only party out there busting its hump for job creation is the Republican Party.

(The writer lives in Georgetown, S.C.)

TheFederalist
TheFederalist 02/17/10 - 11:32 pm
Bravo Mr. Sanderson! Thank

Bravo Mr. Sanderson! Thank you for your honest and heartfelt letter. It must have been very difficult to change your affiliation, and not without some soul searching I'm sure. I am an Independent myself, but I do agree that the Republicans seem to be the only choice at this point in time. However, once they do gain back control, they will then be under the same mandate from the people that the Democrats are under now, and they will be judged accordingly by what they accomplish. I hope they are up to the task.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 02/17/10 - 11:50 pm
Hi Fed, there is another

Hi Fed, there is another group growing in size and tenacity, with strong purpose. They are called Independants, and their movement is fully supportive of the United States Constitution. I claim it right now because I lean toward the Conservatives more than anything. I hope we can get it going to the point it will remove the two party system altogether.

imdstuf
imdstuf 02/18/10 - 12:41 am
I agree Sargbaby.

I agree Sargbaby. Republicans do not seem to oppose illegal immigration any more than Democrats do. Why think you have to be in a "party" at all? Why not just vote by the issues instead of by the party? This is the gullibility of many Americans, myself included in years past.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 02/18/10 - 04:13 am
The republicans have issues

The republicans have issues as well but they do a far better job of being pro business, lower taxes, and job creation that do the democrats. They are also far better in national security matters and for the most part smaller government. We need people in office that understand that government can't and never will solve all of our problems and there is no need to continue rewarding non-productive members of our society as the democrats continually try to do with zero acountability and responsibility.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 02/18/10 - 04:13 am
JOE LEGAL vs. JOSE ILLEGAL

JOE LEGAL vs. JOSE ILLEGAL

You have two families: "Joe Legal" and "Jose Illegal".

Both families have two parents, two children, and live in California .
Joe Legal works in construction, has a Social Security Number and makes $25.00 per hour with taxes deducted.
Jose Illegal also works in construction, has NO Social Security Number, and gets paid $15.00 cash "under the table".
Ready? Now pay attention...
Joe Legal: $25.00 per hour x 40 hours = $1000.00 per week, or $52,000.00 per year. Now take 30% away for state and federal tax; Joe Legal now has $31,231.00.
Jose Illegal: $15.00 per hour x 40 hours = $600.00 per week, or $31,200.00 per year. Jose Illegal pays no taxes. Jose Illegal now has $31,200.00.
Joe Legal pays medical and dental insurance with limited coverage for his family at $600.00 per month, or $7,200.00 per year. Joe Legal now has $24,031.00.
Jose Illegal has full medical and dental coverage through the state and local clinics at a cost of $0.00 per year. Jose Illegal still has $31,200.00.
Joe Legal makes too much money and is not eligible for food stamps or welfare. Joe Legal pays $500.00 per month for food, or $6,000.00 per year. Joe Legal now has $18,031.00.
Jose Illegal has no documented income and is eligible for food stamps and welfare. Jose Illegal still has $31,200.00.
Joe Legal pays rent of $1,200.00 per month, or $14,400.00 per year. Joe Legal now has $9,631.00.
Jose Illegal receives a $500.00 per month federal rent subsidy. Jose Illegal pays out that $500.00 per month, or $6,000.00 per year. Jose Illegal still has $ 31,200.00.
Joe Legal pays $200.00 per month, or $2,400.00 for insurance. Joe Legal now has $7,231.00.
Jose Illegal says, "We don't need no stinking' insurance!" and still has $31,200.00.
Joe Legal has to make his $7,231.00 stretch to pay utilities, gasoline, etc.
Jose Illegal has to make his $31,200.00 stretch to pay utilities, gasoline, and what he sends out of the country every month.
Joe Legal now works overtime on Saturdays or gets a part time job after work.
Jose Illegal has nights and weekends off to enjoy with his family.
Joe Legal's and Jose Illegal's children both attend the same school. Joe Legal pays for his children's lunches while Jose Illegal's children get a government sponsored lunch. Jose Illegal's children have an after school ESL program. Joe Legal's children go home.
Joe Legal and Jose Illegal both enjoy the same police and fire services, but Joe paid for them and Jose did not pay.
Do you get it now?
If you vote for or support any politician that supports illegal aliens (or as Obama prefers to call then, undocumented citizens) or any business that hires them under the table, You are part of the problem!

It's way PAST time to take a stand for America and Americans!

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/18/10 - 07:53 am
Well, not sure if I agree

Well, not sure if I agree that Republicans are any better than the Dems on any issue. Two sides of the same coin. The government didn't exactly shrink under Bush and the GOP did it? NOw because the so-called 'conservative' party spent so much, the Dems have to 'out do' the GOP in spending. It is pretty bad when the Chi-Coms start selling off the bonds of the number one trade partner they have, U.S. (us). Until we have free and open ballot access for all independent candidates, not just the two partys, we will never have real freedom or change. WAKE UP!

confederate american
confederate american 02/18/10 - 08:33 am
brad owens,a man that

brad owens,a man that couldn't even pull off being a dang yankee general kilpatrick has spoken.brad you seem to flip flop to much,maybe you need to talk to austin to get you on the right track.

grouse
grouse 02/18/10 - 08:44 am
The writer forgets who put

The writer forgets who put the economy in this position. Obama hasn't raised any taxes "on people" and the Republicans are anti-union. Good luck to him...he'll need it!

Rhetor
Rhetor 02/18/10 - 08:50 am
Apparently America has

Apparently America has forgotten that it was Republican President Reagan who, in a cynical attempt to court the Hispanic vote, signed the law that gives free ER care to illegal aliens. The proposed Democratic health plan did not cover illegals, contrary to Joe Wilson's uninformed opinion. Republican Bush advocated amnesty programs for illegal aliens (reported by Fox News in Feb. 2004); so far, Obama has not.

Rhetor
Rhetor 02/18/10 - 08:51 am
Also, those of us who are

Also, those of us who are Christians need to remember that the Bible says that God sets his face against those who oppress the alien.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/18/10 - 08:55 am
We need to get away from the

We need to get away from the "party"thinking.. They both have let us down.. Rem. Bush was in office 8 years b4 O came in.. We can not keep losing our jobs to 3rd world countries & stay afloat..& keep giving welfare & benefits to non-workers & illegals.. This country has gotten TOO BIG to control the masses.. We need to RE-THINK our way of governing.. Party shouldn't matter.. VOTE for the person who will change the nonesense going on today..TOO much pc in everything we do.. too many give-a-way programs..too much crime that sucks up needed $$$ for other things.. We need NEW folks in congress.. cause the folks in there now can't seem to GET THIS..

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/18/10 - 09:23 am
Confederate American, I

Confederate American, I thought I did a good job playing General 'Killcavalry' but I just could not shake my Southern accent. I am not flipping, just calling it like I see it. There is no difference between the Grand Old Perverts/Reichpublicans and the DIMocRATS/Demoncrats when it comes to looting the treasury. Threetrillion dollars ($3,000,000,000,000) buys a lot of power and votes. I see the two partys as two sides of the same coin, they just appeal to their own set of far right and left supporters on different issues to be 'different.' But the truth is, there is no real difference except how they spend the money to buy the votes and or power.

chascush
chascush 02/18/10 - 09:31 am
Brad, The reason the

Brad, The reason the government grew so much under Bush was homeland security. Bush did give them a blank which was a mistake. I think it should have privatized but we had to have it. You guys conveniently forget about 9/11.

TechLover
TechLover 02/18/10 - 09:50 am
I hope Joe is better at

I hope Joe is better at construction than he is at math. 30% of $52,000 is $15,600, which leaves $36,400, not $31,231. I realize this plagiarized scenario comes from California, but even with their higher tax rates, it's sort of hard to figure out howJoe ends up paying 30% to state and fed taxes. If he doesn't itemize, he's still allowed a standard deduction of $11,400 for married filing jointly(2009). Since it says "children", he obviously has more than one. Let's say 2, at a deduction of $3,650 each. With no other deductions that brings Joe's taxable income to $33,300 which puts him in the 6% tax rate in Cal and the 15% tax rate fed. Even even including FICA, Joe's total taxes would be around $11,000, or closer to an effective tax rate of 21%. Of course it could be much less with other deductions, but just these few show how bogus these internet chain e-mails are.

dani
dani 02/18/10 - 10:00 am
It's easy to say vote for the

It's easy to say vote for the person and not the party. Obama was voted in because people believed his rhetoric...how is that working for you?

TechLover
TechLover 02/18/10 - 10:13 am
I stand corrected. I said Cal

I stand corrected. I said Cal was a relatively high tax state. Actually, in Joe's income bracket, he would pay the same tax rate in Cal as in Ga. In Cal the 6% rate kicks in at $26,822, in Ga it kicks in at $7,001.

dominionfs
dominionfs 02/18/10 - 11:33 am
The only difference I see

The only difference I see between the two parties is the color of their "Elect Me" signs.

Notreally
Notreally 02/18/10 - 12:22 pm
LOL this man know he switched

LOL this man know he switched because of Obama.... OMG he needs to stop lying and tell the true reason.

libertarianvoter
libertarianvoter 02/18/10 - 01:37 pm
I'm with you that the

I'm with you that the Republicans would be more willing to lower taxes, but that doesn't mean that they will. Democrats are spenders. It's what their party description says basically.

Republicans believe in government intervention into morality and less government in economic matters/lower taxes traditionally, but with some of the war hawks in the party, the option to lower taxes isn't there.

The Democrats believe in less government in morality and more government regulation of businesses under the guise of protecting consumers....

There is only one party that believes in less government across the board, and I guess you can figure out which one that is :)

Vogtle workers see both reactor projects

Some veterans of the nuclear industry were at the site south of Augusta to see the complex network of rebar and concrete rising out of the ground in the 1970s and ’80s. Now, they are back.