My house is 18 years old, and I have lived in it for seven years this March. I love my house. It’s in Columbia County, in a fairly new development where it’s quiet and peaceful.
My second year in the house, the controls on my refrigerator stopped working. It was less than five years old and I couldn’t believe it. Soon after having it repaired for $200, something happened to the ice maker. I got frustrated and called the company, and I didn’t get much help there either. It was a problem I thought I could live with, so I chose to do so.
A recent Saturday night, I heard a noise in the garage coming from the hot water heater, which I purchased less than two years ago. I didn’t know how something could be wrong with that as well. I called an after-hours plumber who told me I could just turn the water off for now and get someone to look at it.
When the plumber came, he was shocked with the water pressure in the house. He told me that it should read about 65, and it was actually 300. He told me that it would affect everything – my pipes, the water heater, the washer, even the refrigerator if it had an ice maker.
Wow, he hit the nail right on the head. He looked at my refrigerator and told me that, because of the ice build-up, it could have started a fire.
It got me to thinking, I could have burned in a fire, and they would have determined that I had a faulty refrigerator. He had to replace a unit in the ice maker, and that was another $160.
When I got to work the next day, I started talking to some of my co-workers, and was horrified to find out some of them had the same thing happen to them.
This is a health hazard, and with the home inspections they do, should this not be a part of it? I worked in construction years ago and helped build a few houses, and I know all about codes. Why is this not part of keeping up to code from the contractor?
I hate to think about all the people who lived here before me and how many times they’ve had to switch out appliances. And what about my neighbors? Are they in danger as well?
This is really something that needs to be looked into. The co-workers whom this happened to are in other neighborhoods, so it’s not just mine. I would urge everyone to know the pressure of the water coming into your home, in case it’s at an unsafe level. Have it checked out for your and your family’s safety.