Below is a document I titled “The American Creed,” which I wrote as a tribute to what my parents taught me as a young boy, and what we learned from the Founding Fathers. I believe it captures a vision for America, and it serves as a reminder of American values for all Americans on the Fourth of July:
• We believe in the dignity of the individual, who is endowed by the Creator with talents and skills to contribute to America’s exceptionalism.
• We believe in life, liberty and the pursuit of a quality of life that is not given but earned based on merit and performance.
• We believe in accepting responsibility for our actions and expect keeping the rewards of our labor so we can be free to take responsibility to help those in need.
• We believe in holding our representatives accountable for developing sound, American solutions based on constitutional governing principles.
• We believe the Creator endowed this nation with natural resources to be used to improve the quality of life of all Americans.
• We believe in clean, abundant and affordable energy to drive the nation’s economy and create jobs for all Americans.
• We believe in living within our means and demand that local, state and federal governments do the same.
• We believe in defending the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.
• We believe that it is truly right and just and our duty to choose leaders who will foster these beliefs and who will unleash the limitless potential of all Americans to pursue the American dream and contribute to America’s greatness.