Augusta doctor, runner was close to marathon bombing

Monday, April 15, 2013 9:10 PM
Last updated Tuesday, April 16, 2013 12:17 AM
  • Follow National

Dr. Mike Rogers’ legs were just fast enough on Monday.

Back | Next
Dr. Mike Rogers running in the 2011 Boston Marathon.  SPECIAL
Dr. Mike Rogers running in the 2011 Boston Marathon.

When Rogers turned the corner onto Boylston Street, the final stretch of the Boston Marathon, he was pushing himself to beat four hours and 10 minutes – the time required to qualify for next year’s race.

The 67-year-old orthodontist is a veteran marathoner who regularly clocks in finishes less than four hours, but Monday afternoon he was lagging – slowed by a recent surgery and hamstring cramps that struck around the 23-mile mark.

Rogers crossed the finish at 4:08:24. The first explosion ripped through the crowd nearby at 4:09:44, killing at least three people and injuring more than 140.

“If I was about one minute slower it would have gotten me,” Rogers said by phone Monday evening, still shaken by the day’s events.

“It was awful. Just very, very sad,” he said.

Rogers said he had time enough to walk away from the finishing area and get water and food from race volunteers when he heard the first blast outside.

“Right as I got down to the buses to get my race gear was when it went off,” he said. “Everyone was in a panic. People came running down the street and they told us to run. So, I ran.”

He quickly made his way out of the finish area and began trying to link up with his wife, Beth, who had not seen him since the start.

“It was interesting how my legs came back to life,” he said. “I could have run another mile or so to get out of there.”

Beth Rogers said she would have been watching for her husband at the finish line, but the crowds were too large, so she moved to a family waiting area about a block away.

“All of a sudden there was a big bang,” she said. “You could see the smoke coming up above the buildings and then there was another bang. The family area just got silent we were all in shock.”

Soon the streets were packed with ambulances and emergency personnel.

Mike Rogers said he managed to connect with Beth with one phone call before the local cellphone networks were overwhelmed. They both had to navigate the crowded streets to meet back at their hotel a few blocks away.

“I teared up when I finally saw him,” Beth Rogers said. “I’ve never been through anything like this.”



• Craig Cooper, North Augusta 3:12:56

• Michael Roloff, Aiken 3:24:07

• Lj Sizelove, Augusta 3:25:19

• Miriam Cortez-Cooper,

North Augusta 3:44:39

• John Head, Aiken 3:50:59

• Barbara Rose, North Augusta 3:57:41

• Michael Rogers, Augusta 4:08:24

• Todd Gagnon, Evans No finish time

• Laura Salman, Evans No finish time

• Raye Winsor, Augusta No finish time



The catastrophe in Boston had local members of the Augusta running community scrambling for any information they could find about their friends who had entered the race.

Jenafer McCauley, a co-owner of Fleet Feet Sports, said she had gotten messages through Facebook from about 15 runners Monday evening.

“They all posted that they were OK,” McCauley said. “We’re all pretty worried over here.”

David Nance said he got word through text messages that two the runners he knew, Barbara Rose, of North Augusta, and Tina Stutt, of Greenville, S.C. had finished without incident.

Matt LeZotte, the athletic director at Aquinas High School, said he had several tense hours, trying to get word on his friend Craig Cooper and his wife, Miriam Cortez-Cooper. He was relieved to learn that their son Josh, an Aquinas student, had heard from them Monday night.

“It was a scary, scary situation,” he said. “Thank God. I was looking for them all afternoon.”

– Steve Crawford, staff writer

Comments (6) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
Dixieman 04/15/13 - 09:38 pm
Glad he is well

Gave my daughter her braces and his practice is a great one.
We need to locate, hunt down, and punish the perp(s) immediately.

soapy_725 04/16/13 - 08:15 am
Mike is and always was a fine gentleman.

Go Butler Bulldogs !!! Happy 50th Reunion !!! The first graduating class was First Class.

seenitB4 04/16/13 - 09:11 am
Gwinnett had runners too

As for now..I think all ok..(think)

Yes ..we will have to find these jerks--punks what ever you want to call them....just wish I could put on here what I would like to see happen to them..

seenitB4 04/16/13 - 09:12 am

A slow barbeque comes to mind...

Fiat_Lux 04/16/13 - 12:05 pm
A slow barbeque, followed by

allowing those injured a chance to use this animal for target practice using birdshot. Everyone gets a turn, including family members who end up being put through the wringer as well.

No life without parole and no quick and easy exit to judgment. This one needs to suffer.

CobaltGeorge 04/16/13 - 01:13 pm
How About

a large metal room, 50 X 50 with 3 IED inside. 1st one low charge with tiny BB's, 2nd a mid charge one with buck shot size pellets and then a 3rd with 10 lbs of C4 with 100 lbs of shrapnel. Fire then at 5 minute interval.

Fiat_Lux 04/16/13 - 01:20 pm
I like it!

Great idea, CG. I might allow 20 minutes between each, and only use a 3-5 pellet load on the middle one. No need to plan a burial after that last one.

Back to Top
Top headlines
Superior Court judge to retire
Superior Court Judge J. David Roper, who was elected to the Au­gusta Judicial Circuit bench in December 2006, announced his decision a few weeks shy of his 70th birthday.
Search Augusta jobs