Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I WANT TO RANT ABOUT the North Augusta mom who left her child in the park. Really, she is not the only single parent in this world, struggling, trying to make ends meet. She is rewarded for being a bad mom; yes, that’s right, a bad mom, because no matter what, a child should not be left in a park alone.

TO THE ANIMAL HATER who is so sick of The Chronicle whining about the animal shelter: I am so sick of the unwed mothers who keep on having babies so they can get free food, free housing, free health care, etc.

NOW WE HAVE AN improved Richmond Coun­ty school security force. Does that mean during weekends and nights these officers will now get out of their vehicles and do a foot patrol and door-check at schools or still wait for the sheriff’s office to do the follow-up after an event?

RAVE! RAVE! RAVE! Johnny Hensley and The Red Hots rocked the Imperial Theatre for their 55th reunion concert. What a great evening with fantastic musicians and superb talent benefiting the Press-On Fund.

I WAS READING IN a weekly paper recently and saw an article that was trashing a new Web site for Renaissance of American Responsibility. Please go to http://roar.us and see for yourself what a wonderful and inspiring site this is. We need this more than ever.

I CAN UNDERSTAND why the firefighters need a raise, but I don’t understand why they need a new fire safety educator to explain what is going on to the public. I would expect that should be the job of Fire Chief Chris James. The $51,000 salary for this new educator could have been used for some of the firefighters’ raises. Let’s get real on this and stop building a bureaucracy.

whyme
whyme 08/13/14 - 07:59 pm
get the facts

It is my understanding that there is more to the fire safety educator's salary and the hiring process which would make folks less critical. Just wish someone in the proper position would clarify things!

ELLIOTTMESS55
ELLIOTTMESS55 08/13/14 - 08:11 pm
i don't think she's

i don't think she's necessarily a "bad" mom.i think she is surrounded by a dysfunctional,and selfish family.why can't her family help out? why can't the fathers family help?( a joke i know)where is ole dad?jail,prison? in missouri raising hell with the rest of the entitlement crowd?my how those poor black males get treated.according to what i've seen on tv they get harassed as soon as they walk out the door of their homes.their parents coach them on how to act if stopped by law officers.i wish the law would leave these angels alone,as i watch drugs inc, on some cable station showing the black drug culture,violence,and ruthlessness of these criminals.guess that's whiteys fault also,such is everything else.well, atleast the mom was working,if she wasn't she would be blamed for not trying. i see no need to throw stones here.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/14/14 - 12:28 am
Rant 5

Mr Ryan, while your site obviously has it's heart in the right place, it seems a bit simplistic. The fact that you have no place for comments suggest a fear of differing views and/or constructive feedback.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/14/14 - 12:45 am
Rant 2

I also hate haters. Sometimes. Sometimes I merely dislike. Sometimes I dislike with a passion.

Sometimes I merely disagree. Sometimes those whom I disagree with seem uninformed, sometimes they are just misinformed.

Sometimes I get noun-slapped with something I never considered. But alas, those times are few and far between.

Sometimes I have a hard time verbalizing my point of view, but I know what I thunk by god!

But yes, cruelty to animals get disproportional coverage vs human suffering.

Or do they?

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/14/14 - 01:05 am
The NA Mom

Story has been beat to death.

On the one side, you have those who cringe at the thought of leaving a young child unattended.

On the other side you have those who spent many a day unattended and feel we're wimpafying our youth.

You either believe today is more dangerous than a few decades ago, or believe we merely have more reporting going on. Either way it seems the mother will get a slap on the wrist.

I'm just wondering if local parks will have to carry more insurance now.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/14/14 - 06:42 am
Mall Rats

A former head of mall security told me that some parents left their kids there all day. He said they sometimes called the parent who would say it was okay. Personally, I believe a 9 year old is better off playing in a park than hanging out at the mall all day.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/14/14 - 07:20 am
A long overdue RANT about the

Fill in COMMENT Monitors & Censor

It, he or she.... needs a lot of Extra Fine Tuning before it, he or she will be, even 1/3 as good as Sean.

Suggestion
How about having it, he or she also Email us to explain why it is deleting comments?

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/14/14 - 07:33 am
Anything To Sell

I’ve noticed there’s a new wave of stories about Robin Williams’ death. The trend now is to take comments from some of the famous out of context and report them as heartless. That’s even more heartless than what they falsely report. Anything to sell I guess.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/14/14 - 07:34 am
The waiting is over nocnoc

Hooray--hooray...someone is BACK today!

At least when he slaps us, we know why!! :)

noc--we are a guest but we are a paying guest...

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/14/14 - 07:47 am
gage lived off POrch on Circular too!

WEll, we have a bunch of yard birds from that area...I knew it when it was just plain Circle DR...even if it didn't circle back around....best bike riding on hills around that Dr....ooh the memories of friends & stuff back then.

SimpleGirl
SimpleGirl 08/14/14 - 07:55 am
Children unattended

Children are called children for a reason..... they are not adults. I'm not a believer in taking risks with children and I certainly don't think a parent should depend on or expect strangers to help their unattended child at a park or mall, etc., for help if need be. Why is it always someone elses' responsibility other than the parent? Someone wrote that the woman who found the child at the park should have sat with the child until the mother returned instead of calling the police. Really?
Some people live their lives expecting others to cover their responsibilities. We see it every day.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/14/14 - 08:03 am
TEE Center Fouls Out

I see where the TEE Center, aka Augusta Convention Center, put up basketball goals in the ballrooms for the only events in July. This month it doesn't have anything for the entire month of August. I used to joke and say they would be using it to play basketball in before it was over. Prescient even though I thought I was joking.

Angela H
Angela H 08/14/14 - 08:15 am
Young Fred.....you sure it's

Young Fred.....you sure it's not verb slapped? :-)

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/14/14 - 08:23 am
Editted verison of what I wrote yesterday

I guess Looting and Rioting must be a cultural thing I would not understand?

Blacks killing blacks seems to be acceptable in the Black Community because there never seems to be a mass protest or Riot & Looting when that happens. Nair a word out of the Reverends when it is BOB murder.

But let an non-black kill a black and it seems to be reason to Riot & Loot, which results in getting more people killed and the community burnt out and pushed further into economic disrepair.

I guess Looting and Rioting must be a cultural thing I would not understand?

What happen in Ferguso Mo. over the week is not so much about the shooting, because the riot & looting happen 24 hours later. It seems to be mainly about a massive LOOTING opportunity by a bunch of THUGS that swarmed in from surrounding St-Louis Black community areas.

1 EXAMPLE
Here is a picture of a THUG covering his face with his t-shirt stealing WINE from a QT gas station while trying to duck waddle out the broken window with his Saggin pants.

TEST QUESTIONS:
When was the last time any group of ANY OTHER RACE BESIDES BLACK, Rioted & Looted, broke windows, set fire to businesses, stole inventory and beat up blacks? 1920's -30's? What almost 80 years ago?

How Many Black riots have we have since 1964-5 Civil Right Act?

43+/-

according to Wikipedia.

If this Riot was about a Bad Police Shoot, then shouldn't the rioters be storming the Police station and not their community business areas?

Or is it about LOOTING under the pretext of racial injustice.

Why else destroy and steal from the very businesses that serve them and treat them fairly?

I guess Looting and Rioting must be a cultural thing I would not understand?

Google "St. Louis Riot videos"
and look at the QT rioters, heck there is one video scene where a guy with his date holding her by her hand leads her into the QT to loot it. WOW ! what a date to remember. I saw organized LOOTING using cars that were guarded and filled with loot then took off with the load.

Like I said,
I guess Looting and Rioting must be a cultural thing I would not understand?

One last question.
Where are all the REVEREND'S?
Shouldn't we be seeing them all over the news telling the Black community this is wrong and it needed to stop?

But again, I guess Looting and Rioting must be a cultural thing I would not understand?

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/14/14 - 08:45 am
Burned & looted stores

"getting more people killed and the community burnt out and pushed further into economic disrepair."

Next month we will hear rants like this...

Why won't stores open in our part of town?
We need nice grocery stores too.
Why do we have to travel across town for a decent store?
Why can't a business open near us?
Why are they leaving our area?

We really do reap what we sow.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/14/14 - 08:50 am

You have painted the picture of things to come for that community.

After such an incident the insurance rates for homes and businesses will be sky high. The cost of rebuilding in a down economy will be bad enough, but in a looted rioted zone outright prohibitive.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/14/14 - 08:59 am
Just think if the Imperial Theatre

Booked more acts like the Red Hots and now 2nd tier 70-80's groups

It would NOT have to ask Taxpayers to help fund it.

Later,

We are headed down to Macon the see the SOUTHEAST's Largest
BASS PRO SHOP & Warehouse.

They have some $50 Rods marked down to $5.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/14/14 - 09:40 am
"the TEE Center, aka Augusta

"the TEE Center, aka Augusta Convention Center, put up basketball goals in the ballrooms for the only events in July. This month it doesn't have anything for the entire month of August."

Another ride on which the Commission and Uncle Paul have taken the taxpayers.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/14/14 - 10:20 am
Donnie Smith's Suspension WITH PAY Almost Two Months

Commissioner Donnie Smith's suspension from the Ga State Patrol is now almost two months without the GSP making any illuminating statements. Note these two months of not working have been with pay. What other organization takes that long to determine wrong doing and continues to pay an employee? How long is this paid vacation going to continue? This time is counting for retirement and other benefits, keep in mind. We need some answers. Either clear him and put him back to work or apply the appropriate punishment.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/14/14 - 11:01 am
Hall county Ga

In AJC today..

More Central Am children are showing up in Ga schools...Hall county & also DeKalb county have an influx of new children. Some have very little if any school education...One child had never been to school (14 years old)
Please stop pretending this won't cost taxpayers, IT WILL!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/14/14 - 02:26 pm
Do you work for a big company-please read

If you are still covered by a company with health insurance you should read this....if retired especially..it is coming.

I just had a rep from aon tell me that obamacare had nothing to do with the change---DUHHHH....their own co says it does & says 60% will drop coverage if they haven't already...

harley_52
harley_52 08/14/14 - 04:39 pm
If You Assault A Police Officer...

...who is acting in an official capacity you have a pretty good chance of being shot.

That message needs to be trumpeted across the land without regard to race, creed, sex, age, or any other discriminator. When a police officer tells you to do something, DO IT. After you've done it and the incident is over with, there will be ample time to Monday morning quarterback and discuss it with the appropriate officials.

Chris Rock gave this advice on dealing with police, which is right on target. (Adult language....if it bothers you, don't look)

Angela H
Angela H 08/14/14 - 04:41 pm
Why are people insisting that

Why are people insisting that the incident in MO has to be about race? I have seen ZERO indication that race had anything to do with it?

harley_52
harley_52 08/14/14 - 05:00 pm
Whether It Was To Begin With....

.....or not, it has become all about race. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as long as the authorities handle it correctly.

rebellious
20916
rebellious 08/14/14 - 05:12 pm
Angela H

Are you serious? WOW...

Angela H
Angela H 08/14/14 - 05:22 pm
Yeah....A cop shot an unarmed

Yeah, I'm serious....A cop shot an unarmed person. If you don't even know the name of the cop, how could you possibly know why he shot him? What is the evidence that it was racially motivated?

harley_52
harley_52 08/14/14 - 05:22 pm
It Doesn't Matter

It has become a race issue, like it, or not.

Denying the obvious is not a good strategy.

Angela H
Angela H 08/14/14 - 05:26 pm
But why has it become a race

But why has it become a race issue? It seems that if a white person shoots a black person, for ANY reason, then people assume it must have been racially motivated......no evidence required.

Explain how it is about race.