Rants & Raves

Comments from readers.

PUBLIC SCHOOLS ARE using more tools to evaluate students’ progress? Back when teachers taught and principals led, the teachers did the evaluating. No extra charge, and kids learned.

RANT TO THE COLUMBIA County school board for dissing quality education by denying the application of the Columbia County School for the Arts.

WITH ALL OF THE problems that Augusta has, the news ran a story about whether or not the statue of James Brown should be on a pedestal, whether or not to put lights around it, and trim the shrubbery so that all could see. Give me a break!

WILL THE AUGUSTA Commission member responsible for the Circular Drive area off Peach Orchard Road please do your job and get the grass cut in the ditches?

ONLY A RUDE, SELFISH person would go in a very crowded restaurant and treat the waitress with disrespect. If you wait your turn, you will be waited on. When the waitress asks how you are doing, you don’t have to answer with, “We have been ready and everyone else is eating.” Well, they got here before you did.

RAVE FOR MICHAEL Holahan’s joyful photo of Tomi Rae Brown and James Brown Jr. as they sing the national anthem at the Augusta GreenJackets game.

FOR ALL FOOTBALL fans, Georgia Tech and Georgia should cancel all games this year because all the players are in jail.

THERE NEEDS TO BE a change to the Augusta Commission requiring those who continually miss called meetings or failing to vote on an issue to be removed from office by a recommendation from the mayor and constituents. There’s no need for them to be paid for doing nothing.

OF TAX LOOPHOLES, President Obama said, “I don’t care if it’s legal.” After five years of Obama, that’s pretty clear.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/12/14 - 08:25 pm
Hate for the president?

How about just statements of FACT? All a matter of record, and not opinion.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/12/14 - 08:27 pm
Speaking of....

I'm not a huge O'Reilly fan because of his personality; but he hit this commentary out of the park.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/12/14 - 09:54 pm
Circular Drive

I think it would be more appropriate for the residents of Circular Drive to cut the grass in the ditches at their residences. The city isn't responsible for everything. Cut your own ditches, people!

And, if Dichotomy sees this thread, you can be he will tell you what he thinks about the ditches on the southside. Engineering Dept. Manager Abie Ladson wants you south side residents to pay a new storm water fee to pay for storm drainage maintenance on the storm sewer pipes in the north and western portions of the county, when all you have down south are ditches.

Dichotomy is spot on!

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/12/14 - 11:18 pm
"WHY DO SO MANY people ride

"WHY DO SO MANY people ride around in their fancy new cars with their windows down when it’s 95 degrees outside? You didn’t order air conditioning in that new ride or what?"

'cause they're trying to impress with their music don't ya know. Hip-hop, rap. Jay-Z be showing!

Aren't you impressed?

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/12/14 - 11:28 pm
Rant 1

Can be taken in so many different ways. It's almost poetic.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/13/14 - 12:32 am
Rant .6

Is so funny! I mean a valid point was made, but don't you know what you got yourself into?

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/13/14 - 03:09 am
JB Statue

Be happy the James Brown statue didn't end up in the storage shed like the golf statues were for years.

iaaffg
iaaffg 08/13/14 - 03:53 am
#4: what business is it of

#4: what business is it of yours who drives around in their new cars with the windows down in 95 degree heat? maybe they like the heat. maybe it doesn't bother them like it does your delicate, sensible little wanker self. mind your own back yard.
#1: the public school systems are a big, fat joke. if you have children, you may want to remove them from their brainwashing tactics and educate them in an alternate fashion.
#3: agree! who decided this jerk was a role model deserving of a statue in the first place?
#11: such hypocrisy from most all the democrats who write in and whine like little sodding pigs about their idol being criticized and slammed in the press. such short memories they have (recall bush-bashing days, anyone?)but then, they are democrats, they probably have the brain of a snail.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/13/14 - 05:20 am
And now..

Obama says it wasn't his decision to pull the troops out of Iraq. LOL.

harley_52
harley_52 08/13/14 - 06:17 am
justthefacts
justthefacts 08/13/14 - 06:28 am
harley's video

"I'm giving myself to you" Gee, thanks.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/14 - 06:30 am
Circular Dr & Peach Orchard

My ole childhood days were spent riding bikes in this area....don't diss my home...

LLamb--I will buy the lawn mower if you will cut the grass...:)

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/13/14 - 06:33 am
If you say so

I actually don't think any GT or UGA players are in jail. But, whatever..

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/13/14 - 06:35 am
CUT THE GRASS

Why do a welfare type solution (month to month fix)

Defoliate the yard using a bottle of Pramitol.
It is a bare ground herbicide that has been widely used.
"Bare Ground" means exactly that.

Wherever Pramitol is sprayed, nothing will grow for one year or more.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/13/14 - 06:37 am
seenit

My stomping grounds too. And the grass was always cut...........by the residents who lived there. Or me. $2.50 a pop. Unless you had a bigger yard, then I charged $3.00.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/14 - 06:42 am
JTF

I also cut grass on that road...$4 a pop.....& babysat too.

You are right, the home owners kept the place neat & cozy. We didn't mess up our nest. Beautiful flowers & my granmama had the most fragrant yard of all....babys breath--crabapple trees==banana shrubs--roses & sweet olive...& 4oclocks....I miss it too.

She had 2 goldfish ponds too.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/13/14 - 06:44 am
Really

$4.00?? Dang, I knew I was bidding too low. $4.00 would have bought a lot of "zeros" at Lombards.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/14 - 06:48 am
They liked me (neighbors)

They also saw 7 kids in my family & KNEW I could use the $$$$.

WE had great neighbors there. Many children on that street.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/14 - 06:50 am
huge O'Reilly fan

He has gotten full of himself....kinda arrogant & pompous at times...I guess when you are #1 you can be a baddie.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/13/14 - 07:06 am
OReilly

He and Kelly are about the only ones on Fox News I can stand.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/13/14 - 08:17 am
I can stand ALL the women on

I can stand ALL the women on Fox. My favorite isn't even blonde.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/13/14 - 08:23 am
I'm not sure why the fellow

I'm not sure why the fellow was upset about the fancy cars' windows down, but maybe it had more to do with what he heard coming out of cars, objectionable lyrics or conversation maybe? I like my windows down after a good hard rain when the air is fresh and clear of pollen and the temperature has dropped a little. It is a rare treat, so that would be a good reason for someone else to do it, too.

Young Fred
Young Fred 08/13/14 - 09:08 am
O'Reilly

Quit watching him a few years back. He tries too hard to portray himself as "a man of the people" to the point of supporting dubious (but popular) positions on occasion (reminds me of a local talk show host).

He does have a few excellent books. Killing Lincoln was very interesting! Some critics were harsh about factual inaccuracies, but they were nit-picking facts that in no way took away from the main points being made. Main points that the critics didn't dispute by the way.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/13/14 - 09:19 am
Young Fred

"Killing Jesus" is even better. "Killing Kennedy" excellent as well.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/13/14 - 11:55 am
Kudos to Prez Obama for this

Kudos to Prez Obama for this time not taking sides with this shooting in Missouri and igniting more racial tensions. This time he actually did the right thing to appeal for folks to curb protests and violence and let law enforcement do their job to investigate the incident. It's about time he does something right and I'll give him credit when it is due.

rrcrew
rrcrew 08/13/14 - 09:26 am
There are NO GT players in

There are NO GT players in jail, nor have there been any even arrested and released. That is a problem unique to the University of Georgia. They are the school of thugs and rednecks.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/13/14 - 09:30 am
"SUCH HATE FROM almost all

"SUCH HATE FROM almost all Republican ranters against our president with all their stories." Naw nothing like that against Bush-people wanted him dead and even begrudged Cheney getting a heart transplant they wanted him dead so much. Now that is hate-wanting someone dead. People generally like Obama as a person just can't stand his policies. He is such a cool cat comedian what's not to like. In fact he is so charismatic it took a long time for his policies to affect his popularity. Polls were mostly favorable for the Prez but polls were not so supportive of policy-now the policy effect is so bad it has tarnished him personally so even he has low support now across the nation.

rebellious
rebellious 08/13/14 - 09:36 am
The Irony

Is ranter #5 has no clue who the Commissioner is, much less what district they are in. Reminds of the lady interviewed wanting to know who was gonna take care of her 15 kids. Blissful ignorance.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/13/14 - 10:01 am
Hey, rrcrew

I will give you 1 hour to remove your 10:26 post before I prove you wrong. That will allow you to save a little cyber style "face". It's 11:00 now.

historylover
historylover 08/13/14 - 10:02 am
rrcrew

You are exactly right about the GA Tech players. No idea what the ranter was talking about.

2 Thomson slayings probed

Authorities are investigating two unrelated slayings in Thomson that happened in a 24-hour span this weekend.