Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT TO THE WOMEN walking on Davis Road and Walton Way Extension at 6 a.m. Someone is going to get hit. We can’t see you. They paid millions of dollars for those sidewalks. Use them.

RAVE FOR THE Augusta Commission meetings: one of the best comedy shows in town.

IS OBAMA A transparent president? Yep, we can see right through his attempts to destroy us.

I CAN’T WAIT TO GO out and bring my paper in to catch all the news. But I would enjoy it so much more if about five inches were cut off the top of the paper. It is much too tall and folds up while I’m reading it.

FOR KEVIN PALMER (Letter to the Editor on July 15: “We Aren’t Exceptional”): Sir, please do us all a favor, find somewhere better than America to live and buy a one-way ticket.

THIS IS MAINLY FOR the traffic on Robinson Avenue through Grovetown. A big thank you to all drivers in morning and afternoon who back off for 10 t0 15 seconds allowing drivers who live on off streets or from child care to enter the driving stream of traffic without taking chances of darting in. Sure is nice of you.

IF ONE LIVES HIS/HER life as an interesting person rather than as a person of interest, she/he will probably never be concerned with the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office’s stun gun policy.

IT DOESN’T MATTER whether Hillary Clinton reads The Augusta Chronicle. Ranting about who will be our next president is a local issue.

CAN WE HAVE A huge fundraiser for the animals at the Augusta animal shelter? They are the victims of selfish, self-absorbed people who live in a throwaway society.

ISRAEL NEEDS TO protect itself and defend itself. And the news is biased.

RANT TO ALL THE local restaurants that do not offer senior discounts. Seniors, take your money somewhere else if they won’t give you a discount.

HARLEM POLICE ACT like they are paying their own salary. They are not very friendly or helpful. They don’t even wave to you when they see you on the road.

PEOPLE CAN AFFORD to preach about taking care of those illegals, but the majority of us can hardly meet our budgets these days. Religion and generosity are great, but they have to be tempered with common sense.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/31/14 - 11:39 pm
#6

Day in and day out, I find the people of the CSRA to be fairly courteous about yielding to folks entering or turning into side streets/entrances. A few jerks, but all in all pretty good IMO.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/31/14 - 11:43 pm
Senior discounts

Sorry, but you sound like you feel entitled. You are not. Any discounts offered to seniors, military, educators, etc. are voluntary. I thank those that do, but I don't expect a discount because of my age.

To me, that sounds like someone griping because a particular retailer doesn't offer discount coupons.

corgimom
corgimom 08/01/14 - 12:27 am
Itsa, I agree with you. Some

Itsa, I agree with you.

Some seniors are absolutely loaded, they are in better financial shape than I am.

If you can't afford to eat at a restaurant, don't go there. Like the rest of us do.

JRC2024
JRC2024 08/01/14 - 01:10 am
Just say a police car from

Just say a police car from Richmond County with two tag readers on the trunk. His window tint on the sides was so dark that you could not even see the officer inside. It was a dark grey car with a South Carolina tag.
If mine had been that dark I would get a citation. I THOUGHT they were to follow the same rules as they enforce. I would argue that and take a picture of the car if mine were that dark so I could take it to court with me.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/01/14 - 04:56 am
Waving Cops

If a cop knows you well enough to wave at you that may not be such a good thing.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/01/14 - 05:02 am
That reader who finds fault

That reader who finds fault with the hard copy Chronicle because the paper folds over on top (heh) could stick with the online edition. Updates come throughout the day.

iaaffg
iaaffg 08/01/14 - 05:17 am
#9: yes, fundraiser for

#9: yes, fundraiser for animals at shelter great idea: call the kumbiyah chick up in new england, she's a regular miracle-worker at fund-raising.
#1: no one could see them if they were on the sidewalk; the point is for those who walk in the road: "look at me! look at me! look at me!"
#2: spot on
#3: so transparent, we can't even see him but we sure can see the b.s. he's been throwing down.
#5: and he can take some people with him...in fact, he can take a bunch of people with him.
#8: let's just hope that evil, vile, lying thing doesn't get in the office next, may as well join that bunch in #5 if that happens.
#11: eat at home if you can't afford to eat out. it's probably better for you and will taste better and you'll know no one spit in it or dropped it on the floor before serving it to you.
#13: spot on! hey, maybe the illegals can get the kumbiyah chick from new england to hold a fundraiser for them, it seems she's probably bored up there by now, all the media attention has died away from her doorstep, gotta find another way to get another fifteen seconds of fame.

myfather15
myfather15 08/01/14 - 06:27 am
JRC

The only exemption to the window tint law that I'm aware of is for medical reasons. That officer COULD have a medical excuse, as I know several that have one; other than that, it would be the departments responsibility to do their due dilligence to ensure their officers are complying with the law. Most departments I know of, won't allow their officers to have window tint lower than what is legal.

myfather15
myfather15 08/01/14 - 06:32 am
#5 and iaaffg

I like these ideas!! I also like iaaffg's ideas on fundraising!! I suggest we begin a MASSIVE fundraising campaign to raise enough money to assist anyone who hates this Country, in moving to another Country! We should be nice and raise enough money for them to move AND get established in the other Country!!

We should raise tens of millions, to offer everyone willing!! I would LOVE to see how many people will volunteer to leave!!

myfather15
myfather15 08/01/14 - 06:46 am
The propaganda against Israel

The propaganda against Israel is growing and growing!! Over 200 protests in America, over the last few days; mostly in California and NY, imagine that!!

Every lamestream news report, focuses on Israel killing women and children; but rarely mentions that Hamas is hiding their weapons and tunnels in Mosques and schools!! Briefly mentioning that Hamas' rocket attacks, are killing Israeli women and children.

Now, the Supreme leader of Iran, is calling for all of Islam to unite against Israel and support Hamas in any way possible, including financial and weaponry!! Yes, these battles could end tomorrow, but they will start back up eventually and get worse!! When you have one side (Hamas and Islam) whose goal is to completely destroy Israel, this will never end. Israel will either continue THIS campaign, to completely disable Hamas, or they will stop and it will begin again in time. Either way, Islam is going to come against Israel in full force; because IT IS WRITTEN!!

Luke 21:20 "And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh."

With Israel losing America's support, this emboldens their enemies!! I personally believe that Radical Islam is not going to be willing to wait and see who our next president is going to be!! We have a very weak president and they know it!! Right now, they and Russia are testing the waters. When they see that NOTHING substantial is done to them, they will get more and more bold!!

Reading the Bible is like reading tomorrows newspaper, today!! It's unfolding JUST as it is written!!

hoptoad
hoptoad 08/01/14 - 07:33 am
Seniors are rich? Wow, my

Seniors are rich? Wow, my friends and I must have missed something because we all live on a fixed income - now with no hope for even a piddly COLA to our SS or pension. And every one of us must scrimp and scrape to take a little trip. Many of my retired friends can't afford to go out to eat but once or twice a month.

I retired from FG and haven't had a COLA in years except a few dollars that are quickly absorbed by my insurance premium that keeps going up yearly.

My advice is to keep working as long as you are physically and mentally able.

hoptoad
hoptoad 08/01/14 - 07:40 am
Our Jew population needs to

Our Jew population needs to reconsider their party affiliation. I never understood why so many Jews support democrats, especially seeing how they really feel about Israel.

But then the black population has been screwed by this administration and they still support this man and his band of executioners.

Go figure!

jimmymac
jimmymac 08/01/14 - 08:07 am
HOPTOAD

One of my best friends since we moved to the CSRA is Jewish. We often talk about the number of Jews who supported Obama in both elections. He says it's guilt for having money. I told him white guilt from many elected the worst POTUS in my lifetime and it wasn't limited to Jews. It looks like many now have a case of buyers remorse.

Pond Life
Pond Life 08/01/14 - 08:13 am
The poor have been voting

The poor have been voting democrat for 50 years......and they are still poor.

--Charles Barkley

Pond Life
Pond Life 08/01/14 - 08:15 am
"I'll Have Those N#@@%&s

"I'll Have Those N#@@%&s Voting Democratic For The Next 200 Years"

--Lyndon Johnson

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/01/14 - 08:36 am
Wrong type of Wave

With your hand on the steering wheel,
extend your left hand 1st 2 fingers in a upward waving motion.

It is called the 2 finger LEO Wave.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/01/14 - 08:50 am
Ms. Nunn makes jokes about her Campaign document leaks

I guess she thinks it cute or funny that it is officially in the open, how she will play group against the other for donations and votes. How she won't take a firm stand on something unless the $$$$ and votes are there.

Sure, to some extend this is done by both parties.

But the Democrat Party has for years demanded harmony and intermixing and getting along and working with each other. Then we find out this a National strategy document, that uses tactics that do just the opposite.

Think about how Year after year America is told those of the Jewish faith and America's Minorities "belong in or to" the Democrat party. Because they better represent those groups and
want to bring them together.

Do the campaign documents, that got released,
demonstrate a party that wants groups to get along,
or a party playing every American group against one
another for power?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/01/14 - 09:02 am
Window Tint

I thought the only reason they passed the window tint laws was because law enforcement making traffic stopped were fearful approaching a vehicle they couldn't see into. If that is the case, then there is no reason for police vehicles not to have an exemption for the tint.

nocnoc
nocnoc 08/01/14 - 09:18 am
QUESTION -For Countyman

I read where Kellogg Co. officials announced that they're closing a plant in Columbus as part of a restructuring process and is expected to eliminate about 300 jobs.

Any word if this will or how this will effect Augusta Plant Operations.

I'm actually hoping Augusta will pickup the production?

harley_52
harley_52 08/01/14 - 09:37 am
" I personally believe that Radical Islam....

.... is not going to be willing to wait and see who our next president is going to be!!"

I share that belief, @myfather15.

The wolf is at the door.

jesslgrdn
jesslgrdn 08/01/14 - 10:10 am
myfather15

well said!

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/01/14 - 10:15 am
Every Jewish person I

Every Jewish person I personally know is Republican. I don't get that national bent towards the Democrats and neither do my local Jewish friends.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/01/14 - 10:19 am
river

Not up north. NYC area. All Democrats. Hard to explain. But, what is really weird is they don't have much allegiance to Israel.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/01/14 - 10:36 am
You can say that again!

"We cannot find part time work because there are so many illegals taking the minimum wage jobs. And age discrimination is alive and well."

I took a "package" at 57; knowing I could get by OK, but also believing I could find part time work to keep me busy and supplement my pension without dipping into my IRA until later.

I've applied for several positions that I was well qualified for; but didn't even get the courtesy of a reply beyond acknowledging receipt of the application/resume.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/01/14 - 10:46 am
JTF

In Florida too; but of course most of those came from "up nawth".

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/01/14 - 11:02 am
College Football Is Coming

College football is getting sooooo close. I am seriously starting to stock up on supplies. I'm preparing for the UGA-Clemson game like I were training for a marathon. I mean this year, with all the high ranking teams within 100 miles, it is going to be a year to remember. Heck, the national champion, Fla State, is right down the road.

I saw The House of Manning, about Archie Manning and his sons, the other day and it caught the spirit of college football so well. When Peyton went to Tenn. Archie was afraid to go back to Oxford for awhile. By the way, the coach at Ole Miss at that time said Eli was the best QB they ever had.

It's hard to describe the physical and emotional responses when that last second pass or kick is successful. The pros just can't capture the pride college fans feel. No wonder Lewis Grizzard had his ashes scattered on the field at Sanford Stadium. It kind of makes dying not so bad.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/01/14 - 11:15 am
I just want to remind the

I just want to remind the residents of South Augusta and South Richmond County that they can get MORE than even with the "city" of Augusta for raising your property taxes if you do most of your shopping in North Augusta. Prices are cheaper, you can recoup your property tax increase by paying LESS sales taxes, and the price of gas is cheaper over there so if you fill up while you are there you will actually come out ahead at the end of the year. When THEY take it out of one pot, I TAKE IT BACK out of another.

EVERYTHING IS CHEAPER IN NORTH AUGUSTA. Tell the Augusta Commission to stick it in their ear and do all of your shopping across the river. There is more than one way to skin a cat and we've got some that need skinnin'. When the man on TV asks "what's in your wallet" the answer is "the Augusta Commission".

ELLIOTTMESS55
ELLIOTTMESS55 08/01/14 - 11:16 am
as the old country song said

as the old country song said "you're only poor if you CHOOSE to be".voting for any particular party enables you to nothing.had it not been for basketball,barkley and many others would be either cutting hair,or running a dollar general store.you get out of life what you put in to it,nothing more,nothing less.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/01/14 - 11:19 am
TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 08/01/14 - 11:50 am
RC patrol cars (rant #4)

darkened windows and a SC license plate? Something is not right here!
Could be an imposter.

Fire closes Broad Street

An early morning fire closed parts of downtown Broad Street and motorists were advised to avoid the area around Ninth Street.eet.