Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT TO COLUMBIA County BOE for the sign at Evans Elementary on Gibbs Road that faces the wrong way. No one can read the scrolling text because it is parallel to traffic – it should be perpendicular. Who paid for that mistake? My tax dollars did.

SERIOUSLY. YOU PUT LeBron James returning to Cleveland on the (July 12) front page, above the fold! Well, I guess you made about three people in the entire CSRA who care about that very happy. What a waste of newsprint.

A RAVE FOR GEN. ATKINS, president of The Augusta Chronicle, and Bill Kirby, for a wonderful Tuesday. I enjoyed learning all about The Chronicle and the wonderful lunch my mother and I were treated to. Thank you so much!

RAVE FOR HOBBY LOBBY. Why should you have to pay for birth control? If the women of your company are so worried about getting pregnant, they can purchase their own birth control or abstain from having sex. Why should you go against your religious belief for their pleasure?

TO THE RANTER worried about which business supported the Pride Parade, you should post your picture so that businesses can choose not to do business with you. What’s good for the goose ...

THE HOUSE APPROVES funding bill for the MOX facility, but Obama threatens to veto bill possibly doing away with thousands of union jobs. But they can always get jobs on the Keystone Pipeline. But wait he won’t approve that either. (How’s that “Hope And Change” working for you, union members?)

RON “OBAMA” CROSS acts like he can just decide to spend our tax money on anything he wants. We don’t need more buildings and traffic in Evans but he now wants an Arts Center. Stop wasting my tax money Ronbama.

HUGE RAVE FOR TWO fine ladies, Kelly and Sharon, who witnessed my 88-year-old father-in-law fall and injure himself in the parking lot at the Mullins Crossing Chick-fil-A. Not only did they call my wife about the incident, they drove him home and waited for my wife to get there to see about him. Hats off to these fine ladies!

RANT FOR AMERICANS. Why aren’t we marching into Mexico with flags raised demanding the release of our Marine? I simply cannot believe our pathetic president hasn’t said a word. Not an ounce of respect for our military. I wonder what this poor Marine thinks of his country now?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/27/14 - 05:06 pm
Hobby Lobby raver..

Just to be accurate, Hobby Lobby is not opposed to paying for birth control; they are opposed to paying for drugs that cause abortions as a means of birth control.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/27/14 - 05:47 pm
Texting shorthand for senior citizens

ATD: At The Doctor’s

BFF: Best Friend Farted

BTW: Bring The Wheelchair

BYOT: Bring Your Own Teeth

CBM: Covered By Medicare

CGU: Can’t Get Up

CUATSC: See You At The Senior Center

DWI: Driving While Incontinent

FWB: Friend With Beta Blockers

FWIW: Forgot Where I Was

FYI: For Your Indigestion; Found Your Insulin

GGPBL: Gotta Go, Pacemaker Battery Low!

GHA: Got Heartburn Again

GGLKI: Gotta Go, Laxative Kicking In

GOML: Get Off My Lawn

GTG: Got To Groan

HGBM: Had Good Bowel Movement

IMHMO: In My HMO

IMHO: Is My Hearing-Aid On?

JK: Just Kvetching

LMDO: Laughing My Dentures Out

LOL: Living On Lipitor

LWO: Lawrence Welk’s On

MGAD: My Grandson’s A Doctor

MILTF: Meal I’d Like To Forget

OMG: Ouch, My Groin!; Oye, My Grandchildren!

OMMR: On My Massage Recliner

OMSG: Oh My! Sorry, Gas.

PIMP: Pooped In My Pants

ROFL CGU: Rolling On The Floor Laughing, and Can’t Get Up

RULKM: Are You Leaving Kids Money?

SGGP: Sorry, Gotta Go Poop

STCNFG: Senior Texting Code Not Working

SUS: Speak Up, Sonny

TGIF: Thank Goodness It’s Four (Four O’Clock - Early Bird Special)

TTYL: Talk To You Louder

WAITT: Who Am I Talking To?

WIWYA: When I Was Your Age

WT*: Wet The Furniture; What’s Today’s Fish?

WT*A: Wet The Furniture Again

WTP: Where’s The Prunes?

WWNO: Walker Wheels Need Oil

Read more: http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_dec2010/Texting_For_The_Elderly.htm#ixzz3...

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/27/14 - 07:16 pm
Cry me a river!

Dead criminal’s family whines that Dallas homeowner didn’t warn home invader before shooting him.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/27/14 - 07:21 pm
#1

Did you consider that the sign may not be intended for the general public driving by, but for the parents/visitors/employees who drive onto the property? Also consider that a two sided sign is more expensive that one sided?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/28/14 - 04:06 pm
Local cyclist attacked on trail

Wonder why the AC hasn't picked this up?

"I wanted to let you know about the assault that happened to my husband around 9 pm last night (sat, July 26) on Stevens Creek. He had been out at FATS most of the afternoon and decided to head over to Stevens Creek for a short ride. He was riding back to his car, and was about 0.5 miles from the parking area at the trail head, when three men in full camouflage stretched a rope across the trail, which he rode into, throwing him off his bike. He lost consciousness for a little bit and when he opened his eyes one of the guys was slamming his head into the dirt, which eventually ripped off his helmet. The assailant on top of him then attempted a sexual assault, while telling him that those woods were for hunters only, and that he was going to learn tonight. My husband was eventually able to fight him off and run away, but they were armed and fired a shot at him. The men were white and were at least in their 30s, if not a bit older, and were large enough to take him down (He is 6'3, 200lbs), though one of the three was smaller/shorter than the other two,who were around 5'8. Thankfully he was able to escape with only minor scrapes and bruises and they had left all of his possessions (bike, helmet, etc..) in the woods, which he retrieved this morning with the police. The deputies are investigating it now, and have added an extra ranger to patrol the trails but please please please be careful if you must go out there. These @&$#%* are extremely dangerous! Unfortunately, as much as he liked riding there he says he will never go back out there again."

Read more: http://sorbacsra.proboards.com/posts/recent#ixzz38icySWHU

We have a good number of female cyclists too. I shudder to think if this had been a couple ( wisely, they typically don't ride alone) of women riders out there.

Edit 5pm: I am beginning to smell something since no further details have been released.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/27/14 - 07:55 pm
Scary assault, IAD

Scary assault, IAD. It appears it was in McCormick County.

stuaby
stuaby 07/27/14 - 08:28 pm
CG, I saw what you wrote.

CG, I saw what you wrote. I'm honored.

Brothers we are.

Connor Threlkeld
Connor Threlkeld 07/27/14 - 09:30 pm
Itsanother and Riverman1, our

Itsanother and Riverman1, our cops reporter saw it on Facebook a few hours ago and looked into it. Unfortunately, as mentioned in the report by EdgefieldDaily.com, the authorities in McCormick Co. are not available to comment on the weekends. Travis Highfield is attempting to contact the poster through the website for more information. We have no reason to doubt the forum poster's report, but we need official confirmation or direct contact with the poster before we are able to publish on the incident.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/27/14 - 10:24 pm
CK, that's the difference

CK, that's the difference between conservative news reports and liberal news reports - conservative news is vetted first before releasing info that may not be accurate.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/28/14 - 04:42 am
Read the Website posting

It kinda reads like a veiled Anti-Gun / Anit-Hunter Deliverance movie script.

I would like to know if is true or made up.

If it is a false, I hope they arrest the poster for filing a false police report.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/28/14 - 04:45 am
Bizarre Story

Well, it's dang sure a bizarre story. It will be interesting what we learn in the coming days.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/28/14 - 05:03 am
LOST TRADITIONS

While part of a funeral procession yesterday leaving Thomson GA to Hill Crest. I noted something worth mentioning.

TRADITION & CUSTOMS AND RESPECT

Leaving the Funeral Home in Thomson we proceeded down US78 to Hill Crest. From Thomson to just outside Harlem people pulled over and some even got out of their pickups and cars as the procession pass by.

Then on the over side of Harlem the number showing respect was less and less. Until Gate 2 /Grovetown area it was almost nil.

It wasn't until we were at Gate 1 that our procession was pass by its 1st vehicle. Despite many opportunities over the previous 25+ miles.

While proceeding thru ARC only 3 vehicles showed the traditional respect over the next 8 or so miles.

Overall, I noted those still showing respect stopping, slowing or pulling over were of all ages, & cultures.

BTW: to the &%$@$ JERK with the super loud car Rap Playing stereo on Richmond Hill Rd @ about 4pm Sunday.

Yes we heard your trash.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/28/14 - 05:23 am
Funerals

I have noticed the same thing nocnoc...small towns seem to show more respect.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/28/14 - 05:35 am
I am dogless now

I lost my sweet female sharpei last night...we knew she was sick & old (13 years) & it was coming...she looked just like my avatar when she was a pup.
Sharpeis are very dedicated to their owner & always under foot...as near as possible.

She was sick these last months & I hated to leave her alone...last night was rough....it will be awhile before I can get another.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/28/14 - 05:44 am
Sorry Seenit

I'm sorry about the loss of your pet, Seenit.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/28/14 - 05:50 am
Pets are like family

I will miss her but I don't want to see them suffer either.....I know dog lovers understand...cat lovers too...thanks RM....

Maybe that is why I'm so grouchy lately...it isn't all about politics.

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/14 - 05:52 am
nocnoc

Unfortunately, that's the difference in Country people, and city people (in my opinion). Country people actually LIKE a slow, calm and less chaotic life. They DO show respect for the small things in life.

City folks, always seem to be in a darn hurry and WHATEVER they are doing, is more important that what you're doing!! They must get there as fast as humanly possible and don't care who they runover or disrespect, to get there!! They are two different kinds of people with completely different mind sets!! Me, I'm Country!! I like the slow down pace, relax and show courtesy to people! What I'm doing, is no more important than was anyone else is doing!!

People actually get annoyed at me when I'm courteous!! Last week, I was on Wheeler Road near Augusta West Parkway; I would be back a ways from the stop signs, and letting people out of parking lots in front of me. It's actually a courtesy I like to extend to people, kinda like holding a door for someone coming into a store behind me. One person honked their horn at me!!

maandpa
maandpa 07/28/14 - 05:58 am
Rant to Columbia County BOE

Strangely, my husband made the same comment about the sign, so you're not alone here.

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/14 - 06:16 am
#4

The people of this world have become more about what pleasures THEM, than anything else!! It's all about me, me, me!! Don't interfere with their pleasure, or you'll find yourself the target of their wrath!! Have we been forewarned of this??

2 Timothy Chapter 3

"1This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

4Traitors, heady, highminded, LOVERS OF PLEASURE more than lovers of God;

5Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away."

Years ago, I had a friend of mine (EMT) who is gay, tell me that "Everyone had some gay in them." He went on to tell me that if I would ALLOW him to do "some things" to me that I would indeed have a "reaction" to his stimulating of me. He would always say "It's better for ANYONE to do it for you, than for you to do it yourself."

My response to him was always "Well, we will never know, because I'm all about women and will never allow a man to do anything for me."

It's called discipline and a desire to do what's right, instead of only what pleasures you!!

corgimom
corgimom 07/28/14 - 06:28 am
Oh, seenit, honey, I am so

Oh, seenit, honey, I am so sorry that you lost your sweet baby. I know your heart is aching, and that the house seems so empty and quiet without her.

(((Hugs to you, seenit )))

corgimom
corgimom 07/28/14 - 06:31 am
In Charlotte, the police stop

In Charlotte, the police stop the traffic for a funeral procession, and if somebody breaks in or passes, another police officer will ticket them.

They use several cars in the procession, not just one or two.

harley_52
harley_52 07/28/14 - 06:34 am
"It's called discipline and a desire to do what's right....

....instead of only what pleasures you!!"

I agree with the "desire to do what's right" part, but it certainly doesn't require any discipline on my part. The need for discipline assumes there is some desire for which discipline is needed to overcome. 'I want to do it, but won't because I know it's wrong' kind of thing. None of that exists with me. The mere thought of it makes me sick to my stomach.

I think there's a good chance your friend was hitting on you. :)

corgimom
corgimom 07/28/14 - 06:34 am
myfather, if a "friend" told

myfather, if a "friend" told me something like that, I'd tell them where to go and how to get there. He was coming on to you, and nobody likes that, whether they are straight or gay.

It wasn't about discipline, it was about him wanting to do the wild thing with you. And that line about "Everybody has some gay in them" is the gay version of the cheesy lines that women have to listen to from men.

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/14 - 06:37 am
#9

Because the Marine is Mexico, isn't an left wing anti-American zealot; so he will get no help from THIS administration!! He's a common man, who crossed the border with THREE weapons in his trunk!! Any reasonable person should understand that he has served enough time for this infraction. He should get time served and banned from coming back into Mexico!! If he returns, that's upon him and they can keep his dumb butt!!

But, the fact is that Mexico is in complete control of the cartels!! Any LE official, including many police chiefs and been beheaded and their families slaughtered, for resisting the cartels!! Any government official who resists them, has their families threatened or killed!! The cartels are simply asserting their "power" over American's by unreasonably detaining this Marine!! THREE FIREARMS is all he had; in a Country completely out of control with extreme violence and doing NOTHING to stop their own people from being slaughtered!! Do we really believe they will do the right thing with this Marine??

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/14 - 06:41 am
Harley

When I'm speaking of discipline, I'm not just talking about refusing homosexual advances, although I realize that was a main part of that comment. Discipline requires us to refuse MANY things, including excessive drinking and sexual advances from those we ARE attracted too; as in a married man refusing advances from a VERY attractive woman, because he is MARRIED!! That is the lack of discipline in the world and it certainly isn't limited to only homosexuals.

harley_52
harley_52 07/28/14 - 06:43 am
"While proceeding thru ARC only 3 vehicles....

....showed the traditional respect over the next 8 or so miles."

Having participated in about fifty (or more) funeral processions, throughout Georgia and South Carolina over the past several years I can assure you what you witnessed is NOT unique to ARC.

It's an urban/country phenomenon that results from a number of factors, most of which aren't driven by disrespect, even though that's the way it comes across.

It does, however, provide a convenient opportunity to demonize ARC as you have so predictably demonstrated.

harley_52
harley_52 07/28/14 - 06:48 am
"Discipline requires us to refuse MANY things....

....including excessive drinking and sexual advances from those we ARE attracted to...."

Oh, I understand, believe me. I agree wholeheartedly. I just pointed out that it takes ZERO discipline for me to ignore homosexual advances, that's all.

Different strokes for different folks, so to speak. :)

myfather15
myfather15 07/28/14 - 07:00 am
Harley and Corgi

Of course he was hitting on US, because he always flirted with the LE officer's he interacted with on duty!! We work a lot with EMT's so we would see him all the time. He would always say, just like women "I love a man in uniform."

BUT, I never felt threatened or offended and I don't think the other officers did either. I haven't seen him in years, but at that time, he was just a fun loving crack up!! He was always joking with us. He was also one of the BEST EMT's I ever witnessed!! I watched him and a paramedic work relentlessly on a man who had flatlined and actually brought him back!! He took his job serious and was good at it. No matter his sexual preference, we used to say "If I ever get shot, I want him working on me". He was just that good.

Corgi: "It wasn't about discipline, it was about him wanting to do the wild thing with you."

Yes, and I agree that it didn't take discipline to turn his advances away, because I had no desire to partake. BUT, it does take discipline for a hetrosexual MARRIED man, to turn down an attractive woman who is blatantly hitting on him. I guess I didn't make that clear; I wasn't just talking about discipline with homosexuals, but with ALL of life and doing what's right, rather than what pleasures someone.

With this sexual "revolution" has advanced, people have become more bold about what THEY want, period!! Yes, sex has always been abused; with many Biblical figures having numerous wives, including David!! David loved some women!! But, it wasn't BROADCAST so openly as it is today!! Today, what pleasures people, tends to be the most important aspect of their lives!! As with the birth control debate; it seems many believe their "right" to birth control which IS INDEED a result from their own promiscuity; trumps other's rights to their beliefs!! Why? Because you want to have undiscriminating sex, ANYTIME and with ANYONE you chose; without facing the consequences of those actions?? Would it not be BETTER, to discipline yourself to NOT be irresponsible with your sexual behavior??

I personally have no problem with birth control, as I've used forms of it myself, but I certainly don't believe it's a "right". I paid for mine myself!! You want to have unfettered sex? Go ahead, but WE shouldn't have to pay for YOUR pleasure choices!! Personal responsibility!!

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/28/14 - 06:51 am
seenit

Sorry about your puppy. Sounds like he/she had a good life, well taken care of.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/28/14 - 06:53 am
B4

So sorry :(

Smith case referred to Attorney General's office

A state probe into allegations former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith moonlighted for a hospitality company while drawing his Georgia State Patrol salary will be reviewed by the state attorney ...