Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

WE NEED NONPOLITICAL ways to agree we just cannot handle the flood of children or other poor people pouring into our country for freebies. It’s bad enough helping out the homeless and the ones who depend on meals from soup kitchens and churches. We need to just turn these kids and others away right at the border, and stop shipping them in buses and planes to other states and cities.

ARE YOU CONCERNED about the recent immigrant children? Put them on a bus to take them home (Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras) and give them a gun with 1,000 rounds of ammo when they get home.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO misjudge someone with a physical problem writing for having any mental problems. I have a friend whose fingers and body twist up from a physical condition but is among the brightest people I know. He has two college degrees. He can’t write, and until the Board of Elections realizes that and has a computer pad for him to type data in (he can type with a pencil in each hand), he will then need someone he trusts to fill out the form for him. I have seen other people who can’t type at all in any way use a stylus set up on a headpiece.

IF GRU IS NOT going to use the grassy areas of the former Golf Hall of Fame, can we use it to make and use a skateboard park? With the restaurants we have around downtown, I think that can be an attraction.

TO THE NEIGHBOR WITH the light-brown dog which gets outside the fence all the time: I know I heard you did not like it when your dog was reported for running after people and pooping in their yards and barking up a storm. I’m told a second call to the police means no more warnings but a citation for you, the owner. Don’t make me make that second call. You are near the post office, and your dog needs to stop running into our yards barking and pooping up a storm.

DON’T WASTE TIME blaming any of those overworked, dedicated people at the animal shelter for what has to be forced euthanasia of the animals to control their overpopulation. Get them the funding to otherwise spay and neuter the animals and a vet or two to process all that spaying and neutering. Not to mention the feeding and watering and other care if you don’t kill them.

A VERY LARGE RAVE for the person who turned in my purse at Costco. Thank you very much.

stuaby
stuaby 07/22/14 - 08:27 pm
Rave to Tony Dungy. I

Rave to Tony Dungy. I couldn't have said it any better.

No way I would've drafted Sam. He's not worth the trouble, either in or out of the locker room.

If he had first round talent, then maybe so. But he doesn't. So now the Rams have to deal with locker room issues, when-to-cut issues...

No way I would've signed up for this.

stuaby
stuaby 07/22/14 - 08:31 pm
The anti beef industry

The anti beef industry research article in the 7-22-2014 Aug. Chron. has pretty much made me not want to read any more 'research' articles.

Gadzooks...what in the living... When are these ridiculous 'research' findings going to be mocked like they should be?

jdsgirl63
jdsgirl63 07/22/14 - 09:47 pm
Overworked people?

Richmond County has 35+ employees, not to mention the prisoner detail that cleans the kennels for them. Overworked is a bit of a stretch. Don't you think?

KSL
KSL 07/23/14 - 05:20 am
Skateboarding, before or

Skateboarding, before or after you eat???

KSL
KSL 07/23/14 - 05:22 am
I heartily agree with ranter

I heartily agree with ranter 1.

myfather15
myfather15 07/23/14 - 05:25 am
stuaby

I know I'm going to get blasted for this, BUT......

I'm going to say it anyway!! If Mr. Sam turns out to be a miserable NFL football player, I will take some joy in seeing it!! I won't wish him failure, and would never wish anyone failure. Actually, I hope he succeeds in everything he does. BUT, I'm completely sick of the media's coverage of this!! Everyday, I watch the NFL network (Total access) to see if there is any news on my team. On most days, I won't hear a word about them, but there will be a 15 minutes update on Michael Sam!!!

And this has absolutely NOTHING to do with his sexual preference, but EVERYTHING to do with the media buzz and attention it's got!! I'm sick to my stomach of hearing so much about a SEVENTH ROUND draft pick!! He was a SEVENTH ROUND draft pick for petes sake!! This is FOOTBALL, let's hear some news about actual FOOTBALL!! Seventh round picks usually don't even make the team and NO seventh round draft pick has EVER received so much attention!! So, why this guy? It's quite obvious!! And the majority of people I've talked to, are SICK of hearing about it!!

Most people simply don't give a hoot about his sexual preference, and that's the way it should be!! But, people are tired of hearing about this story; when there IS NOT STORY, besides "I'm gay".

Well, whoopidy dooo!!!!

myfather15
myfather15 07/23/14 - 05:31 am
#1

If you've ever took long drives through the rural areas of this Country, there is room for them. Heck, just drive through South Georgia and see all the miles and miles you'll drive without running into anything resembling a town!! What you will see if HUGE farms; farm after farm!!

IF, you're not willing to send these illegal immigrants home, break them up and send them to farms throughout the United States, to work for and EARN their keep!! Let them raise their own food, and build their own shelters!!

BUT, with this Country will live in today, that would be illegal, since most of the illegal immigrants are children!! We don't allow children to work; so we can force them to HELP make their way!! So, government will have to support them; which means you and I!!!

On a side note; my dad DID INDEED force me to work!! I remember weeding many a garden and hauling many loads of firewood to the truck!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/14 - 05:39 am
D C should worry

Outsiders are moving in...new faces & new opinions.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/14 - 05:42 am
not willing to send these illegal immigrants home

I think they would work & be happy to do it BUT our stupid leaders in DC would squash that idea in a heartbeat...

That would not "fit" their agenda...funny how the very ones saying let them come & stay, are the same ones who won't take a single one in their home to feed & clothe.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/23/14 - 05:44 am
Margret E. Kida

past away this morning at 6:06AM, and with her passing, Richmond Co. has lost another piece of its 1st hand historical foundation.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/14 - 05:56 am
That was funny Butterman..lol

Do The Shuffle!

You gotta wiggle to the left then you jiggle to the right. Shake to the front and bring it to the back. Then you roll your hips forward and do a little hustle... now that's how you do... The Countyman Shuffle!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/23/14 - 06:02 am
Useless As Wet Salt

The white Richmond County Commissioners are now as useless as wet salt.

KSL
KSL 07/23/14 - 06:07 am
NAACP: Beyond usefulness.

Yep, go ahead and shut down the industries. Put the people who have jobs in the same boat with the moochers. Oh yeah, that makes about as much sense as boycotting SC in hopes of hurting the tourist industry. Never mind the effect it could have had on numerous black working people. NAACP, an organization run by real geniuses.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/23/14 - 06:14 am
New Tax Commission Office

I see where the RC Tax Commissioner, Steven Kendrick, is moving their offices to a new location. I hope they at least lock the door and hide the key under the floor mat...from now on.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/14 - 06:25 am
Dumbing down

Another article from ksl's link

Especially shocking is the language about “equity” in the distribution of grades. Professors, instead of just awarding the grade that each student earns, would apparently have to adjust them so that academically weaker, “historically underrepresented racial/ethnic” students perform at the same level and receive the same grades as academically stronger students.
Read more at http://lastresistance.com/6573/diversity-university-wisconsin-wants-race...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What a waste of brain cells.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/14 - 06:27 am
The white Richmond County Commissioners

They will be used as token votes...

done for the sake of appearances or as a symbolic gesture. :)

hoptoad
21976
hoptoad 07/23/14 - 06:29 am
The veterans may be in

The veterans may be in trouble. Mr. McDonald, the new Obum nominee to head the VA says he will "transform" the VA Department.

Remember where we've heard that proclamation before? And look what happened.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/23/14 - 09:27 am
Effects of New Richmond County Government

It's interesting to consider moves they will make. Things can't get any worse than they've been so maybe this will work out better than some think. One thing I'm guessing they will reconsider is the millions being given to Matt Kwatinetz with little oversight in order to keep Deke happy. Kwatinetz may soon be peddling his wares in another city where he can find another mayor willing to support him.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/14 - 06:41 am
So dang close...

With all 2,727 Georgia precincts counted, Woods defeated Mike Buck 199,069 to 198,343 -- 726 votes.

hoptoad
21976
hoptoad 07/23/14 - 06:42 am
Dumbing down

The left continues their pursuit of making sure our children don't even try to gain enough knowledge that will afford them the ability to make a decent living. What's next, the government will assign each child to their chosen profession.

This is being done because, as we can see happening, the middle class is being destroyed. There are going to be only two classes left, the upper crust and the lower class. The lower class will have no stepping stone to enable them to reach any financial status other than where they started.

A "living minimum wage" is what the left wants to push on Americans so they will have just barely enought to live on, but there'll be no place for them to move upward.

The upper crust will consist of the government and whomever they deem qualified - the Hollywood & entertainment left, the pro basketball athletes, the union leaders and, of course, friends and family of those mentioned.

KSL
KSL 07/23/14 - 07:01 am
KSL
KSL 07/23/14 - 07:05 am
The number of comments on R&R

The number of comments on R&R have surpassed the number on the UGA football player. Why does it not appear in the most discussed list?

KSL
KSL 07/23/14 - 07:26 am
Now it does.

Now it does.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/14 - 07:28 am
Can't blame them for moving...

Beretta issued a stunning press release a short time ago confirming the centuries-old truth that “Berettas don’t bluff.”

It seems that Martin O’Malley and his fellow anti-gun Democrats have successfully created hundreds of new jobs… in Tennessee.

Beretta USA Announces Decision to Move Its Entire Maryland Manufacturing Capabilities to Tennessee

Beretta U.S.A. Corp., located in Accokeek, Maryland, announced today that it has decided to move its manufacturing capabilities from its existing location to a new production facility that it is building in Gallatin, Tennessee. The Gallatin facility is scheduled to be opened in mid-2015. Beretta U.S.A. had previously planned to use the new Gallatin, Tennessee facility for new machinery and production of new products only.

“During the legislative session in Maryland that resulted in passage of the Firearm Safety Act of 2013, the version of the statute that passed the Maryland Senate would have prohibited Beretta U.S.A. from being able to manufacture, store or even import into the State products that we sell to customers throughout the United States and around the world. While we were able in the Maryland House of Delegates to reverse some of those obstructive provisions, the possibility that such restrictions might be reinstated in the future leaves us very worried about the wisdom of maintaining a firearm manufacturing factory in the State,” stated Jeff Cooper, General Manager for Beretta U.S.A. Corp.

“While we had originally planned to use the Tennessee facility for new equipment and for production of new product lines only, we have decided that it is more prudent from the point of view of our future welfare to move the Maryland production lines in their entirety to the new Tennessee facility.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now they will invest 45million in another state....jobs lost.

historylover
19370
historylover 07/23/14 - 07:45 am
Myfather15

Just for the record, it is not against the law for children to work on farms as you stated above. Here is the law in Georgia:

"39-2-9. Employment of minors under 12 years of age
generally
No minor under 12 years of age shall be employed or permitted
to work in any gainful occupation at any time, provided that this Code
section shall not be construed to apply to employment of a minor
in agriculture, domestic service in private homes, or any specific
employment permitted by this chapter or to employment by a parent
or a person standing in the place of a parent."

Note that agriculture and domestic service are excluded from the law. So as you stated, "We don't allow children to work; so we can force them to HELP make their way!! So, government will have to support them; which means you and I!!! " is incorrect.

Not to mention a really bad idea.

hoptoad
21976
hoptoad 07/23/14 - 08:02 am
Ranter #1, I'm afraid your

Ranter #1, I'm afraid your dream of a non-policital solution to the fate of these children is only a pipe dream.

This was done for political reasons and O will never let it be solved to the political advantage of the Republicans.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 07/23/14 - 08:36 am
seenitB4, I noticed it was

seenitB4, I noticed it was 50-50 for awhile. What a shame that the CSRA couldn't get enough votes to make the difference for Mike Buck, after all he did here as a principal and coach, not to mention, he was the best qualified for the job. I will never understand the voting record in the CSRA. But I did vote, so I have no regrets, even if the bulk of my candidates didn't win, at least Perdue won his runoff. I'll have to step up praying for this city/county, it will need those prayers.

jimmymac
jimmymac 07/23/14 - 08:51 am
GUN

Good for Berretta USA. Let this so anti gun states lose jobs they deem not worthy of being in their state and let them go to states that will appreciate them. That wish holds for all businesses under attack. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Pond Life
Pond Life 07/23/14 - 11:20 am
Is there anyone here gulible

Is there anyone here gullible enough to believe that if even Lois Lerner's computer crashed, and even destroyed its hard drive, that her emails would become lost because of it? Is the IRS the only government entity that stores people's email in their desktop instead of using a pop3 or imap server?

Pond Life
Pond Life 07/23/14 - 11:20 am
Well, based on the thumbs

Well, based on the thumbs down, I guess there is at least ONE person who is that gullible.