Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

ALL THE SURPLUS military gear that the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office acquired was free to them, but who do you think paid for the equipment in the first place? Us hard-working taxpayers, that’s who.

THANK YOU TO King Jesus for victory in the Hobby Lobby case. Praise God! If people would put their trust in the Lord Jesus, this country would be a better place.

RAVE TO THE Thurmond Dam manager. I understand that you have been there only a couple of years, and let me say you are doing a great job keeping our lake level up.

APPARENTLY, SHARON Broady is in the wrong job; maybe she is more suited to her last job as deputy warden at the Richmond County Correctional Institution!

INSTEAD OF ASKING American citizens to be responsible for illegal immigrants, our government should be asking the governments where these people are coming from to take responsibility. As for the problem at the border, keeping them out? I say line the border with guards with guns and let them use those weapons.

RANT TO THE speeders on Mike Padgett Highway in the construction zone. Richmond County police need to patrol this area more.

I HOPE THAT President Obama knows what he is doing by nominating Robert McDonald as the next Veterans Affairs secretary. McDonald’s past needs scrutiny, particularly what caused him to resign his position as chief executive at Procter & Gamble, where he was under pressure from investors concerned he was not doing enough to boost performance. We all know that performance (or lack thereof) is the big issue at the Veterans Affairs.

I AM IN SHOCK! Obama selects a former Procter & Gamble CEO to head the VA. Obama actually picked someone who has a past résumé of accomplishments. Normally, the only qualification for an Obama appointment is that they hold a radical, left-wing view.

ONCE AGAIN I listen to our commander-in-chief tell a tall tale about a problem with the Republicans not passing immigration reform. He fails to tell the public how many bills the Republicans have sent to the Senate only to have Harry Reid refuse to address them because they do not include amnesty; that’s why he is unwilling to deal with the Republicans.

BIG SURPRISE THAT Beam Paving got the contract to pave the North Augusta Greeneway.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 07/14/14 - 07:51 pm
1st rant...AND???

1st rant...AND???

happychimer
19537
happychimer 07/14/14 - 08:27 pm
The man in Texas, who killed

The man in Texas, who killed a man, woman, and 4 children, was looking for his wife to kill her. Police used military gear to stop him. Yes we paid for it in taxes. We also are paying for worthless wars that are being fought because of greed and the almighty dollar.

harley_52
harley_52 07/14/14 - 08:28 pm
"I say line the border with guards with guns....

....and let them use those weapons."

Use them to do what? Kill women and children trying to cross the border? Heck, we won't even let our soldiers try to kill terrorists they see shooting at them if civilians are in the general area. Our "rules of engagement" have prevented us from winning wars and have cost the lives of thousands of American soldiers.

You don't REALLY believe we'll let them shoot civilians crossing the border, do you?

If they can't shoot, how long will it take for people to mock them and stick flowers in the barrels of their rifles? What do they do when border crossers start throwing rocks at them? Kill them? Will we then arrest the soldiers and court martial them? Ruin their lives because we put them in an impossible situation and then use them as scapegoats?

We had better think it through very carefully....

JRC2024
JRC2024 07/14/14 - 09:19 pm
Harley, I agree with you

Harley, I agree with you about the rules of engagement. They are horrible and put all our men in danger. Put a senator and several congressmen or women in the same situation and I bet you would see the rules change. Let one of them get killed and all hell would break loose.

JRC2024
JRC2024 07/14/14 - 09:24 pm
Happy, I don't know much

Happy, I don't know much about the wars but I did have an LTC that was pretty much in the know tell me he thought that they were useless. That the Afgans and the others would be your best friend when the money was flowing but when it stopped they would turn to the one that was giving. Those 18th century people have lived like that for thousands of years and will never change. They are too stupid to see that their way of life is horrible.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/15/14 - 12:26 am
Law enforcement is one group

Law enforcement is one group of people who I am happy to have my tax money go towards whatever will help them do their job. They put their lives on the line every day, protect us and are not paid enough for the job they do.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/15/14 - 12:15 am
World War II vs Vietnam

The difference in the rules of engagement between these two wars was the reason we had such a mess in Vietnam. When politicians, many of whom are lawyers, sit on their fat behinds in DC and tell the soldiers who are being shot at what they should and shouldn't do, you can bet we are going to have a SNAFU.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/15/14 - 12:29 am
Obama has routinely placed

Obama has routinely placed his hand-picked minions in positions in which he knows they will serve him well. When he announced he was selecting McDonald, I was surprised that he finally chose a man with business experience. However, I wonder if this man will be so grateful to have a job after his trouble with P & C that he also will quickly fall into lock step with the rest of O"s administration.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/15/14 - 03:39 am
Dam Manager

The management of the lake has also been beneficial to the river. Adequate flows and levels seem to be the norm even in, yet, another record drought. Kudos to the dam manager.

harley_52
harley_52 07/15/14 - 06:04 am
"The difference in the rules of engagement....

....between these two wars was the reason we had such a mess in Vietnam."

Not just Vietnam, @hoptoad, all wars since WWII. You are absolutely right.

We don't have the guts to "win" a war anymore. We don't even try. We don't even use the word "win" any more. Our goal has become "ending," not "winning." We send people off to lose their lives and limbs and we bankrupt the treasury, but we lack the political will to finish the job. It's a tragedy. It's a national disgrace. It's disgusting.

Don't send armed soldiers to the border without the authority to shoot to kill and the political will to back them up when they do.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/15/14 - 06:18 am
Rant #1 misses the other picture

why does RCSO need almost $700,000.00 worth of MRE's.
Are they expecting a civil disturbance and will need to lock up about 3000 for a year?

Having eaten MRE's many a time while on Field Assignment, you never guess they have a expiration indicator based on temperature.

The hotter the MRE's get the shorter the shelf life.
Yes MRE's last according to stored temp. not a date

So What is RCSO going to do with $648,000.00 worth of spoiled MRE's, unless they are anticipating a major influx of Prisoners, situation where there will be disruptions in the food supply chain. OR they are going to donate them to the Homeless.

Of course the bright side is it did not cost the ARC taxpayers twice .

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/15/14 - 06:21 am
One of the few things I learned working around the Military

Soldiers are Not Policeman.
Even an MP is trained for combat.

So The Politicians need to quit using them in Police actions type conflicts and let them kill problems like they are trained to do.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/15/14 - 06:25 am
Men and Lady

Please at least put down the @#$^% Cell phone when making a Right or Left turn? That way it won't take you 2+ mins to turn a inch at a time to get out of the way.

That goes for backing up & parking also.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/14 - 07:20 am
and that will be our downfall MFather

"Conservatives are NOT outnumbered, not by a long shot!! They're just simply more quiet than their counterparts!! "

Speak up--get up--if you are riled, get off the pot & take control of this run away country.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/14 - 07:26 am
Yesterday on cnn

I had respect for this black tv spokeperson til yesterday....she is a very attractive lady & usually gives good advice but yesterday she went on & on about talk of TAKING THIS COUNTRY BACK....she said & truly believes that meant TAKE BACk FROM BLACK AMERICA.....all the time she said we need honest talk about the problems in the USA...

HOW CAN WE have honest talk when they only see black when talking about OBAMA???
I mean take it back from the bennie crowd---I mean take it back from illegal onrush---take it back for the hard working middle class --we are losing pay whith each & every decision made lately...

Take your head outta "something"....I'm sick of this woe is me because I'm bllllaaaaccckk.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/14 - 07:51 am
New way of USA life!

We are doing this all wrong...we need to put ads in central America telling them they have to go DIRECTLY to Washington DC to get any bennies from this country....first check in at the WHouse.....& touch Obama's coattails......kiss his feet like the main stream media does.

corgimom
corgimom 07/15/14 - 08:09 am
What hoptoad said, I agree

What hoptoad said, I agree 100%!

corgimom
corgimom 07/15/14 - 08:10 am
Harley, another great post!

Harley, another great post!

corgimom
corgimom 07/15/14 - 08:12 am
nocnoc, MRE's are invaluable

nocnoc, MRE's are invaluable in case of a natural disaster.

Like the ice storm. Or if a tornado hits.

corgimom
corgimom 07/15/14 - 08:13 am
If conservatives are in the

If conservatives are in the majority, we wouldn't have had Obama for the last 2 terms.

Results don't lie.

myfather15
myfather15 07/15/14 - 08:20 am
Harley

You're absolutely right with your first comment!! As a LE officer, I would NOT want to be on the border, faced with the split second decision whether to take a life or not; knowing that I will likely be the one scrutinized and sent to prison!! For what? Doing my job?

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 07/15/14 - 08:26 am
".. MRE's are invaluable in

".. MRE's are invaluable in case of a natural disaster."

Not if they spoil, then they're just landfill stuffing.

C-Rats, now there's a long lasting (if not quite appetizing) menu item. :0)

myfather15
myfather15 07/15/14 - 09:23 am
Corgi

In my opinion, we have Obama for one of two reasons. Conservatives, many of my own cousins and other family, said they couldn't vote in the last Presidential election because of their faith (misguided); or our elections are a fraud; which in my opinion is very likely!! I've never hidden the fact that I DO NOT trust elections!! To say that voter fraud doesn't happen is denying reality!! Do you honestly believe, that with today's computer system voting, that it's impossible that someone could hack it and distort the numbers; and this couldn't be covered up? The level of deciet in this world, is going to be mind-blowing, when we learn the WHOLE TRUTH, upon His return!!

Many Christian Conservatives truly believe they don't need to be involved, simply trust God and let Him handle everything!! Many don't believe they have to do anything, except attend weekly services and wait to be raptured out of this mean, awful world!! Seems almost daily, I'm hearing people say things like "Well, we can't do anything about the world, so I'm just waiting for Christ to take us out of here." Well, I'm waiting for Christ's return as well, but in the mean time; I'm ACTIVE and STANDING for what I believe in!!

Well, the trust God part I couldn't agree with more. He is exactly who I have my trust in!! But, for anyone to believe that God doesn't want His people to be active and STAND UP; is terribly misguided!! Those people need to read ALL the Bible, not just the salvation aspects!!

Unfortunately, it's hard to get those people active and involved!! They're confused, frustrated and many are detached because of this!!

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/15/14 - 08:39 am
"He fails to tell the public

"He fails to tell the public how many bills the Republicans have sent to the Senate"

He also fails to tell the public that the Republicans have ONE VERY REASONABLE DEMAND to be part of ANY immigration bill......SEAL THE BORDERS FIRST. You cannot solve an open-ended problem by throwing money at it. You MUST control the problem before you can address the status of the illegals already here.

historylover
historylover 07/15/14 - 08:43 am
SeenIt

"I mean take it back from the bennie crowd"
"... to get any bennies from this country."

What does the term "bennie" mean? I haven't heard that before.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/15/14 - 08:45 am
Children's Crusade

Remember the Children's Crusade around the year 1200? Tens of thousands of children marched to try to free the Holy Land from the Muslims. It ended in disaster. This invasion of the U.S. by children reminds me of it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/14 - 09:06 am
I haven't heard that before.

REALLY!!!!!

bennies=benefits (non deserved)

freedombelle
freedombelle 07/15/14 - 09:38 am
bennies???

I have never heard of that either..the word benefit isn't a long word so use it. Also MRE"s can be stored in cool places so as not to spoil!

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...