Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RAVE FOR THE AUGUSTA Utilities Department for retrieving my grandson’s cellphone that he dropped into the storm drain in front of my house. On the morning of June 23 my wife called customer service and explained the situation and the sentimental value of it because it belonged to his deceased dad. She made a phone call and shortly after a service tech was in front of my house. He went into the drain got the phone, offered me some ideas on how to dry it out, wished me good luck and was on his way.

THANKS TO THE Chronicle for taking pictures of the Augusta Pride Parade and Festival. I was able to spot the businesses that support perversion in our community, and I won’t be visiting any of them.

RAVES TO THE FOLKS at the Evans bicycle shop Chain Reaction for their great help and service on Saturday! Even though the shop was closed, they reopened their doors and helped repair our malfunctioning bike rack. Furthermore, they refused any payment/compensation for work completed. It’s great to see such unselfish service this day and age.

HEY, COMMISSIONERS, you know the Augusta Animal Control director is a joke.

ENJOY THE PUBLIC fireworks shows, but please do not set them off at home. Be mindful of the soldiers who have returned with PTSD and the pets that are frightened by the noise. And be considerate of your neighbors. Just because fireworks are legal does not mean they are a good idea.

TO THE PEOPLE in Columbia County who did not vote in the primary election: Do you realize that you have allowed 20 percent of the population to choose your prospective leadership? You have another chance. Vote in the runoff on July 22. Don’t wait to vote in the November election to make your voice and your vote known. It is time to wake up.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 07/11/14 - 04:33 pm
Rant/rave regarding fireworks

Rant/rave regarding fireworks should have been published last week, before the 4th. It was a nightmare in my neighborhood. The fireworks were not sparklers or "legal'. Thought we might have to go look for "Charlie", as it was like Vietnam around here.... or Bombs over Baghdad. Dogs running down the street, trying to flee. Smoke all in the street. Sounded like cannons all night long. It was utter chaos. Called dispatch, then called again. Then, no answer, no cop, no one cared. Total waste of time to call dispatch. If Richmond County needs revenue, there were plenty of people to cite. Wonder how many citations were written, how many fireworks were confiscated. I bet ZERO.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/11/14 - 08:58 pm
Ranter #2

While I don't condone the blatant indecency some gays display, I do not think businesses should refuse to serve any customer no matter what his or her sexual preference happens to be.

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/11/14 - 09:08 pm
Some of my neighbors set off

Some of my neighbors set off a lot of loud, spectacular fireworks on the 4th. I tolerated the noise because of the reason for the celebration, but the worry that one of the lighted "bombs" would land on my roof and set my house afire was unsettling. The lady across the street called the police who put a stop to it(Columbia County). There are two large open fields close by that could have been more safely used and we would have enjoyed them a lot more.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/11/14 - 11:02 pm
I too was a little concerned

I too was a little concerned with a few of the "boomers". Those are usually reserved for the professionals. I don't mind the firecrackers and bottle rockets, but some were inconsiderate enough to keep firing them off into the late hours when most are trying to get some sleep.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/11/14 - 11:05 pm
The bike shop

I am not surprised to hear of your experience. Phil Cohen is "good people", and his staff are excellent too. He has built a successful business through top notch customer relations. We are lucky to have him as a merchant in ColCo.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 07/12/14 - 02:09 am
4th of July

"where we celebrate our independence by scaring the crap out of the country's dogs."
Ron White.

countyman
20581
countyman 07/12/14 - 02:12 am
Augusta Exchange area & ADP

The job market in the Augusta Exchange area continues to thrive.. The Benton House(assisted living facility; 43k SQ. FT.) will build a new campus at 1164 Interstate Parkway.. The Harrington Park Health & Rehabilitation campus (short -term rehab facility; 45k SQ. FT.) is already under construction near the Augusta Exchange(511 Pleasant Home road)..

Rendering of the Benton House location in Johns Creek, GA..(Suburb of Atlanta in North Fulton County)..

ADP is looking to acquire new office space for 100 employees(spin off company)... This presents a great opportunity to bring office jobs to downtown or South Augusta(main campus in West Augusta)...

countyman
20581
countyman 07/12/14 - 02:14 am
double post..

double post..

iaaffg
iaaffg 07/12/14 - 05:51 am
yes we had the noise show

yes we had the noise show here in evans, too, with the loud war-like sound effects. no colorful displays of blue, red, green, etc., just a lot of noise which made us all look at each other and say: gee golly whiz am i in afghanistan? and it went on well past regular firework hours, very annoying. the people putting these so-called 'fireworks' off are probably the same ones who have the dogs that bark incessantly, talk loudly on cellphones in stores, and tailgate on the road: i call 'em the bubbleheads because apparently they all believe they live in a bubble where they can do whatever they want and say whatever they want and it doesn't affect anyone else. self-centered buttwads, with no respect or thought for others. i hope they burned their fingers and ripped a hole in their tympanic membranes.

corgimom
corgimom 07/12/14 - 06:16 am
Where I live, it was like

Where I live, it was like being in a war zone, and it went on till 2 am. It sounded like cannons were being fired.

And we kept hearing sirens all night long, that was the first time we heard that.

It was awful.

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 07/12/14 - 06:48 am
4th

Out here in the country was great fun!

SimpleGirl
SimpleGirl 07/12/14 - 07:09 am
Same here

I don't understand why it is legal to shoot fireworks in neighborhoods. I live in NA and it was terrible. On Sunday night, July 6th around 10pm, it was so bad it sounded like the ones they shoot at the Augusta celebration by the river! Neighborhoods are filled with animals and elderly people and families with children who just may not want to hear the terrible noise and especially, the risk of fires. If you want to shoot fireworks, how about being considerate of others, go out in the country and do it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/12/14 - 07:12 am
Lead us out of this mess--he says

Poor Joe....I needed a smile this am...

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Vice President Joe Biden on Friday condemned the political gridlock crippling Washington, calling on Republican and Democratic governors alike to lead the nation "out of this mess" while insisting that Congress approve billions of dollars to repair the country's aging infrastructure.

"The way things have gotten today, and I'm not singling out any party or any group of people - the politics, the culture in Washington, it's become too personal, it's too corrosive," Biden said during a meeting of the National Governors Association. "I think you've got to lead us out of this mess we're in."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE GOVERNORS DIDN"T MAKE THE MESS --JOE!!
btw--they have tried to change the tide...

hoptoad
hoptoad 07/12/14 - 07:18 am
This president won his second

This president won his second term with about 50% of the 50% of people that voted (not sure of the exact figure, it may be a little more or less) which means he won with only about 25% of the votes cast.

It would be a disgrace to let this happen again, vote in the July runoff and most importantly in November.

IMHO, this president realizes his popularity is waning and therefore, hurting the entire democrat party. This may be why he has allowed so many illegals to invade our country to shore up votes for the dems. I heard on the news yesterday that a mayor in one of the California cities is not only going to give them drivers' licenses, but is going to let them register to vote. This is against the law that states you must be a citizen to vote. So this mayor is encouraging them to do yet another illegal act against our county. I wonder if our DoJ will intervene, NOT.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/12/14 - 07:28 am
We will keep shaking that bush hoptoad

Just hope we can shake the nuts (in DC) off the tree!!

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/12/14 - 07:55 am
Fireworks

Coolers, lounge chairs, neighbors all gathered in street, little kids shrieking with joy, even the teenagers hanging around, good music booming. Great time. Neighborhood Security rode by every once in a while. Waved and moved on. Only the dogs and old people hate it. They both get over it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/12/14 - 07:55 am
Number of stolen vehicles drops

Please read that article..

Now, to all the naysayers on here who complain about the negative posts about a "certain" county...just tell me the reason the numbers are soo much higher than Columbia county......if you have a legit reason, you may be able to change my posting on here. maybe.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/12/14 - 07:56 am
They both get over it.

My old dog says she won't get over it! :)

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/12/14 - 07:59 am
I know, I know

More car thieves in Richmond???

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/12/14 - 08:00 am
^^^^you can't play

YOU don't live in the county!! funnyguy.

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/12/14 - 08:07 am
But

Did you know, statistically speaking, your car is safer in Richmond Cty than Anderson, SC?? You can look it up!

KSL
KSL 07/12/14 - 08:17 am
Aiken suburbs, not in the

Aiken suburbs, not in the city, fireworks legal. Lots all around us. None after 11 pm. I really like where I live.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/12/14 - 08:24 am
safer in Richmond Cty than Anderson, SC??

I bet it is safer than Mexico too...statistically speaking, of course.

EnoughAlready2
EnoughAlready2 07/12/14 - 09:50 am
To ranter #2.....

I wish you could be gay for a day.....maybe it would help you redefine the definition of "perversion".
I am very openminded and I believe in equal rights, but I will admit drag queens, dog collars, and other stereotypical displays are not helping the gay rights movement. Remember this, for every gay display that offends you, there are millions of other homosexual persons on this planet who are just trying to live life the best way they can while dealing with the idea that their entire life is looked at as something perverse. It must feel like hell on earth. I wish every person on this planet could experience being gay for at least an hour......forget the notion of an entire day. I think one hour is enough to make it an eyeopening experience. We have one life, and one planet in which to live it. This is not a rehearsal.......
"the greatest of these is love".

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/12/14 - 10:07 am
Well said enoughalready. I

Well said enoughalready. I have known personally a handful of homosexuals over the years and would not consider most of them "perverts". Most are not flamboyant or noticeably effeminate; and some even vote Republican... They just want to be left alone and go about living.

Unfortunately for them, the "faces" of the gay community are the flamboyant, promiscuous ones who are militant about their outlandish behavior.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/12/14 - 10:27 am
HEY, COMMISSIONERS, you know the Augusta Animal Control director

"HEY, COMMISSIONERS, you know the Augusta Animal Control director is a joke."

From what I've seen and read, I would say the woman is not competent to serve in a higher level capacity. She appears to be the typical government type employee who is unable to think on their own; instead, rigidly relying on SOP's. A high school graduate with "0" experience could do her job as it is being carried out now, provided they could read and understand instructions.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 07/12/14 - 10:53 am
Animal Control

You are so right - itsanotherday1 - and I have high hopes (and also hope I won't be disappointed) that things will continue to move along and the animal shelter will be turned into what it should be - a "shelter" and finding homes for animals that are adoptable. Understandably there are always some that cannot be helped and are better off across the Rainbow Bridge.
But not the quantities that have been put down in the past - NEVER AGAIN!

gargoyle
gargoyle 07/12/14 - 10:57 am
Next year the 4th is on a

Next year the 4th is on a Saturday so bet on a uptick of the festivities. I love the smell of gun powder, reports and flashes of light it feels like freedom to me . This old dog grabbed a drink and sat on the porch and watched the show. Years ago we had a dog that got over excited at the sound , after talking to the vet he came up with a solution that made the 4th , New Years and Halloween much less stressful for the knuckle head .

Darby
Darby 07/12/14 - 11:50 am
"While I don't condone the blatant indecency

some gays display, I do not think businesses should refuse to serve any customer no matter what his or her sexual preference happens to be."

Retired now, but if anyone had come into my business openly advocating homosexual practices, I would have found a diplomatic way to get him to look for another business.

On the other hand, if the same person had come into my store (and I knew him to be homosexual) dressed and behaving normally, I would have treated him as any other customer.

Saw a female in Wal-Mart not to long ago with a T-shirt announcing, "It's my p***y, so I make the rules". If I were the manager of that store, she would have been asked to leave!

Our community's children deserve better than that. Much better!

The same rules should apply for all.

Azziz UNLV president finalist

Ricardo Azziz, who has been mentioned in the past for other open university positions in Florida and Texas, is one of three finalists for the position.