Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man drowns while fishing on Savannah River in North Augusta

A 33-year-old man drowned in the Savannah Ri­ver on Saturday afternoon while fishing near North Augusta, authorities say.

The body of Toyian R. Williams was recovered about 5:30 p.m. by the Richmond County Dive Team, Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said.

Carlton said Williams was with a friend who called 911 about 1:45 p.m. after Williams slipped beneath some rocks after entering the water.

An autopsy will be performed Sunday, Carlton said, and toxicology tests are pending. Foul play isn’t suspected.

The North Augusta De­partment of Public Safety was called to the Hammond Hills area about 2 p.m., Sgt. Maurice Ransom said.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/28/14 - 05:23 pm
Location

Isn't this the Rocky Rapids area before it opens up into deeper water?

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 06/28/14 - 05:36 pm
God bless

his soul.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/28/14 - 07:46 pm
Hammond Hills

I would think that at Hammond Hills, the water is pretty still.

dwb619
dwb619 06/28/14 - 09:03 pm
Hammond Hills

In the late 60's we parked at the Hammond Hill Suburban Club (swimming pool) and walked thru the woods to get to the "rapids".

I don't know where this person fell into the river, but the water behind Hammond Hills is the teeth of the rapids. Spent many days tubing them.

shamrock
shamrock 06/29/14 - 10:28 am
What Does It Matter?

Just where or how fast the river was pales in comparison to the simple fact that a vibrant, promising young man, with his whole life ahead, was taken in just moments following a fall. I only met Toyian once, but my wife spoke of him often. He was like a son and I heard the gasp followed by sobs as she took the phone call from another co-worker last night. I heard a similar gasp followed by sobs as I called my sister ... the HR Manager for the same company. Toyian had just been promoted and already described by his new Supervisor as a "breath of fresh air". A handsome, intelligent, physically fit young man loved by family, friends and co-workers will miss him terribly and THAT is what matters. May God rest his soul and bring comfort to those he left behind.

jimmymac
jimmymac 06/29/14 - 08:12 am
LOSS

I extend my condolences to his family and friends for their terrible loss.

myfather15
myfather15 06/29/14 - 09:54 am
Enquiring minds, want to know

Enquiring minds, want to know I suppose. But I don't think any of the previous comments were disrespectful; just my opinion. Sad incident, all the way around. Prayers for the family!

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 06/29/14 - 12:57 pm
May The Lord bless you and keep you

Wish I could cut and paste -
23 Psalm: The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.

Darby
Darby 06/29/14 - 09:23 pm
For you Lilly....

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever."

Kettle donations rise in 2014