Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT ABOUT HOW Augusta spends taxpayer’s money … going to Disneyland in California, for a training seminar! Spending nearly $20,000 when our county is talking about raising taxes to cover budget shortfalls, and nobody is talking about it? They could have trained closer to home, or even online.

RAVE TO THE BLACK conservative movement. Thank you for spreading the word to be responsible, self-reliant and accountable, working for economic development instead of blaming others for failures and being dependent on others for all needs.

RANT TO THE YOUTH football/cheerleading teams’ players, parents and coaches on Wrightsboro Road this month, hootin’, hollerin’ and holding up traffic looking for donations. As role models, these coaches and parents should be teaching these kids to work hard for what they want by providing some sort of valuable service, not standing on street corners soliciting handouts.

RANT TO THE AUGUSTA VA. I’m a 100 percent disabled vet trying to arrange an appointment with the ophthalmology clinic. I have called several times a week for over five weeks. No one ever answers. The VA operator tells me that one line is always busy and the other rings forever. Welcome to socialized medicine for the U.S. military.

WHY DO SOME WHITE people assume all blacks are on welfare? While shopping in my neighborhood BI-LO for Colonial bread the other day, a man and his family were behind me. He said, “Excuse me, madam, I need to get to the store brand bread. I work every day and can’t afford brand name.” I caught myself before I gave him a few choice words, but I work every day, too, to buy what I want. Never assume you know anything by just looking at people.

I THOUGHT THE MAIN reason for college scholarships was to get a college education. This is never mentioned in Mike Slive’s comments about the mighty SEC wanting autonomy from the NCAA’s rules. It just goes to show that all the “power conferences” care about is MONEY. They could give a rat’s rear about students coming to college to get a degree.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/15/14 - 09:14 pm
I'm With Ya

To that next to last rant, I'm with ya. You're right it was probably a racial thing, but it's not always the case with slights. I'm white and I get them when I'm dressed wrong and things like that. I had a lady at an Evans bank literally blowing cigarette smoke at me in her office and I don't smoke, until I called her on it before she went any further with her behavior. Us working people have to stick together, no matter the race or party.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/15/14 - 10:17 pm
Education

In The Augusta Chronicle story published on Sunday, we got a sidebar with a sentiment published many times in the Chronicle since the legislature adjourned. Here is the latest version:

When the [new concealed carry] law is activated in two weeks, permit holders also will be allowed to take firearms inside some churches, schools and government buildings, depending on the circumstance.

Instead of repeating this uninformative sentence over and over, how about publishing a story that informs citizens about what the circumstances are that will allow concealed carry in "some churches, schools and government buildings," and which circumstances will not allow concealed carry in those buildings. Goodness gracious, we poor citizens cannot find out by reading the stories we've seen published so far.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/16/14 - 06:49 am
Iraqi splinters

Can we splinter too?

I've been thinking we might need to do just that. I'm losing my sanity & I really don't know how much crazy stuff I can take anymore. I don't want to splinter Ga, just a few states in the north & west...I hate losing the movie stars BUT, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
I would like to keep the Grand Canyon in our group & Disneyworld--- & of course let us keep Memphis & the Grand Ole Opry in Tenn.

Also keep Key West too...I think I want to stay there a few months before everything blows up....I just saw one of the best sunsets of all time at the Keys...well a photo, not the real thing, even though I have seen the REAL DEAL!
I have seenitB4. :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/16/14 - 06:57 am
Sorry JTF

I know traveling would be awkward for ya....skipping some states to get to others won't be easy.

BUT, knowing you, you will find a way. :)

corgimom
corgimom 06/16/14 - 07:37 am
Well, I was in Walmart and I

Well, I was in Walmart and I had a woman call me a M F, not once, but twice, because I spoke to her misbehaving daughter.

Cross that one off my bucket list!

But I don't understand why anybody would have a "few choice words" for a stranger in a supermarket. Don't people have any manners anymore? When somebody politely asks me to step aside at the grocery store, I say, "Oh, I'm sorry" and I step aside.

There is now a LACK OF CLASS and manners.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/16/14 - 07:46 am
Manners--we don't need no stinking mannas

I once had an older woman hit the back of my car sitting at Eat A Plenty at corner of Deans Bridge & Gordon Hy...they had given me my drinks but not the burgers...I was still waiting by the drive thru window...My daughters said they weren't worried cause they knew I could take her--HAHA

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/16/14 - 07:49 am
When I say hit my car

She got out of HER car & pounded her fist on the back of my car.

Good dang thing I was having a good day.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/16/14 - 07:54 am
How to know when age creeps up onya

Last night right before bedtime I had the urge for some chocolate milk....I didn't want to turn on many lights so I fumbled thru the pantry...I thought I had the choc syrup & poured the stuff in my glass of milk...NOPE, it was grape jelly in the pour container...
I told myself that was the way I wanted it & that it was ok to drink it like that...I did not question my sanity....btw, it was pretty good. :)

hoptoad
hoptoad 06/16/14 - 08:12 am
Welfare

It's a shame a lot of people think all black people are on welfare, but the sad truth is that more are getting some kind of assistance than those that aren't. I know many blacks who also get disgusted with able bodied folks who opt to take from the taxpayers instead of becoming productive adults.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/16/14 - 08:22 am
Grape

I'll bet that grape milk was pretty good, SeenIt.

Once I made a batch of home made ice cream flavored with NuGrape sodas. Milk, cream, and NuGrape. It was pretty good.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/16/14 - 08:45 am
What if we did take days off

WORLD CUP FEVER: Workers in host country Brazil don't have to call in sick to watch the games. By law, they get the afternoon off on days the national soccer team has a match. Workers also have a holiday if the city they live in is hosting a game. In the town of Salvador, for example, people only have to show up for four full days of work from June 12 to July 2. Can you imagine that happening here? What event would you like to have time off to see?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Our event could be TAXED ENOUGH ALREADY day event...what some don't realize is that covers MANY things...

We need to get the backbone that will shake this country to the core...others protest at any & everything that floats their way...especially about flags they don't like.

Yes llamb...it was pretty good..I might try it again tonight!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/16/14 - 08:48 am
btw..

Some of the countries taking days off are the very ones sending their young'uns up our way...now think, they take time off & watch sports & we work to pay for bennies for these kids...DUH DUH
Do you see anything wrong with this picture??

Do we have a STUPID sign painted on our forehead??

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/16/14 - 08:50 am
I'm done now

Just counted my ducks & some are missing..see ya

jimmymac
jimmymac 06/16/14 - 09:56 am
RANT #5

Too many people are so full of themselves today. No one has the right to assume someone is on welfare just by the color of their skin. I've seen people use their WIC cards on stuff that I would cringe at paying for however. Even though it annoys me I would never say anything to them however. The government should disallow such use and that would end the problem. People selling their cards for cash is a whole other matter. I would have told the guy to mind his business.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/16/14 - 11:11 am
Killing Fields

1,400 captured Iraqi soldiers were executed by ISIS and put in a mass grave. See why Iraqis were so hesitant to join the US backed army. So much for trusting the US for support. Obama has totally mismanaged this crisis. USA Today had a scathing editorial about his inept handling of the situation.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/16/14 - 11:22 am
Obama: "Get Susan Ready"

When will we see Susan Rice come out to explain why Obama is not responsible for the situation in Iraq?

corgimom
corgimom 06/16/14 - 11:23 am
seenit, the older I get, the

seenit, the older I get, the less tolerant I am of nonsense and foolishness.

And it's everywhere, now.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/16/14 - 11:25 am
RAVE - for a great NON-LOCAL place to eat

You'll have to travel a bit.
But if you find yourself in the Covington area (exit 93 on I-20)
Take GA HWY 36 West about 10 miles from I-20 or 15 mins.
11885 Hwy 36 Covington, GA

Henderson's Restaurant
I ordered the 12 piece Shrimp Dinner and was stuffed after 8 pieces,
(we are talking Large Calabash style lightly breaded fried shrimp)
Fantastic dropped batter Hush puppies,
French fires to cooked order.
Great tartar sauce.
Sweet ICE TEA just right.
Great, always there service. With any server, not just the order taker
is seeing that the drink and meal is right.

Total Burn for the meal for the wife and I,
$31.95 which included a large slice of Lemon Pie, tax and ICE TEA's.

corgimom
corgimom 06/16/14 - 11:25 am
Seenit, I worked for a

Seenit, I worked for a manufacturing firm that had a branch in Michigan, and they were union. It was written in their contract that they could take off the first day of deer hunting season.

happychimer
happychimer 06/16/14 - 11:38 am
The person who said they

The person who said they needed to get to the store brand bread needs to get a life. He needs to get a life. If anyone were to tell me that, I would tell them a few things and not be nice about it. I am white, but I find it outrageous that anyone would be so rude and hateful as that loud mouth thang.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/16/14 - 01:24 pm
I agree HC. While I loathe

I agree HC. While I loathe freeloaders; I would never assume the person standing next to me is one unless they have demonstrated such. There is a huge difference in profiling someone for your own safety and profiling to make a social assumption.

corgimom
corgimom 06/16/14 - 01:27 pm
Well, I'm off (no snide

Well, I'm off (no snide remarks, please.) Off to go buy my hard-working husband some food for his lunch (which I pack every day to save money, by the way)

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/16/14 - 01:29 pm
Iraq

This administration has become a bad dream. Taking political stands unpopular with the opposition is one thing; but the glaring ineptness in administering both foreign and domestic policy is just mind boggling. One fiasco after another; what could be next? I shudder to think.

Airman
Airman 06/16/14 - 03:38 pm
Off is the new OK. Must be

Off is the new OK. Must be that new recipe grape jelly and milk. Did not have enough jelly so I substituted wine, is that ok Seenit

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/16/14 - 04:08 pm
nahhh

I will skip the wine & milk...I'd rather drink a beer..a hot one at that!

I know corgi...hunting is VEEERY important to the south too. You can eat what you kill yaknow & there have been days we needed that meat.

Pond Life
Pond Life 06/16/14 - 04:14 pm
" Never assume you know

" Never assume you know anything by just looking at people."

Notice the ranter says this immediately after he/she assumed that the person was thinking he/she was on welfare because he/she is black.

The irony isn't lost on me.

corgimom
corgimom 06/16/14 - 04:42 pm
You know, I read the

You know, I read the diatribes against Obama every day. If he read the weather report, there would be diatribes against that too.

None of us have access to the information that he does. Anybody that thinks that it happens just like the news media says it does, isn't right. And he was elected with the idea that he would end the wars and bring soldiers home.

Now, some of us may think that's a terrible idea. But that's what he was elected to do. If people wanted a stronger military presence, they would've voted for Mitt Romney.

And when Obama can win during the worst recession in 75 years, I'd say that sends a pretty clear message.

The two wars that Bush got us into drained the economy and threw us into recession. And wars are extremely expensive, and do people want this recession to continue? How many billions upon billions of dollars to people want to spend before they say "enough"?

Or do they want another South Korea, where we NEVER leave?

Pond Life
Pond Life 06/16/14 - 04:54 pm
Corgi.....the President

Corgi.....the President claims that he gets his information from the News like everyone else. He has used that excuse more than one time.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 06/16/14 - 04:56 pm
rant about welfare and food stamps

"WHY DO SOME WHITE people assume all blacks are on welfare? While shopping in my neighborhood BI-LO for Colonial bread the other day, a man and his family were behind me. He said, “Excuse me, madam, I need to get to the store brand bread. I work every day and can’t afford brand name.” I caught myself before I gave him a few choice words, but I work every day, too, to buy what I want. Never assume you know anything by just looking at people"

I don't think in terms of color of skin, I just dis-like ANYONE who can not save money, perticularly those on government assistance!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/16/14 - 04:58 pm
corgi

As much as I hate to say this,..the war on terror will never end...I doubt that we will see an end anyway....it will be an ongoing piece of crap we will deal with for all of our days....I gave Obama a chance to prove he could do the job...sadly, I think it is much MORE than he can handle, & now I think he would like to get rid of the dang job....
have to go now...will see yall in am..

UGA jumps up in 2 polls

The University of Georgia made the second-biggest jump of all the teams in the two national ranking polls, both of which were released Tuesday.