Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RAVE FOR DR. NESBIT Dasher, the best doctor in Augusta. Enjoy your retirement.

SPORTS ARTICLE TODAY, again with no mention of the name of the sport. The name “French Open” probably means tennis, but could it be golf?

THIS IS A RANT FOR the golf coverage of The Chronicle. Every day there are articles on golf – some days complete pages. I am a full-time subscriber for over 20 years, and not every one is a golf fan. There is a four-day national NHRA drag race held every year at Commerce, Ga., which is about 120 miles from here. There are not as many people attending this event as the Masters, but there is always a very large crowd and there are competitors from many parts of the world. Just as the PGA has its stars, NHRA has its stars, and they are very fan-friendly and accessible to us, so how about just a little coverage of the “other” national events in Georgia.

TO EVERYONE WHO is concerned about the trading of five of the most heinous war criminals for one American – not to worry – didn’t our president say he would be keeping an eye on them? Now, don’t you feel better!

THE ONLY THING I would like to know is why did Richmond County summer school have to be out at Cross Creek with all the traffic tie-ups they have with road construction?

THE CHIEF OF POLICE in Harlem gives himself a pat on the back, but he doesn’t do that much.

RANT TO PRESIDENT Obama, who claimed General Motors was alive after bailing them out. Yet they have had to recall more vehicles than they have sold in the past few years. Autoworkers were caught smoking pot and drinking beer on their breaks; maybe that’s why the vehicles are not being assembled properly. But thanks to the unions, nothing is done to workers no matter what they do wrong. It had to get to the point where people were killed or injured before anyone has finally been fired, reprimanded and held accountable.

RANT TO FORT Gordon’s Army library on post. While the military now accepts gays, there is no call for the library to promote gay pride with decorations as you enter the library. Children do not need this pushed on them. I cannot believe that the post would allow these decorations to be put up in the library.

WHERE DOES JASON Carter get off calling himself a conservative?

Sophisticated
Sophisticated 06/12/14 - 07:37 pm
Jason Carter is running for

Jason Carter is running for Governor of Georgia because he believes in Georgia because at its best Georgia's kids learning in the very best schools, an economy that work for middle class families, and an honest government that works for everyone. Jason is an attorney @ Bondurant, Mixson& Elmore LLP where, in addition to his business litigation practice, he has logged hundreds of pro bono hours litigations on behalf of some of Georgia's most vulnerable citizens. He fought to protect voting rights and challenged an overtly partisan reapportionment of the State Senate.

For his services, Jason has received the Stuart Eizenstat Award from the Anti- Defamation League. Jason serves on the boards of several charitable and public interest organizations including Hands on Atlanta, The Dekalb women's Resource Center to end Domestic Violence, and the Georgia Bar Foundation. He is the member of the Board of Trustees of the Carter Center and the Emory University Board of Vistors

stuaby
stuaby 06/12/14 - 08:10 pm
@Sophisticated:All

@Sophisticated:

All meaningless. Not impressive, at all.

All I need to know, at this point, is what party he's identified with: DEMOCRAT.

Which means, to me, that he is:

Pro open borders.
Pro anything homosexual.
Pro "we need to stop global warming, right NOW, whatever the cost"
Pro unrestricted abortion.
Pro unrestricted social program spending.
Pro "tax whoever has got a little money in the name of the 'little guy'"

I could go on and on and on and on-but my fingers are tired.

I don't want to hear anything he has to say--it's nothing but empty words; just like Obama. I don't care if he's said anything in opposition to the above. I don't give a rat's tail what he's done. I don't care who he's related to. I don't care who has endorsed him. I don't give a rat's tail what awards he's won. I don't care what his college degree is in. I don't care whether he's passed the bar exam. I don't care how good he looks. I don't care whether he has children or not.

His party affiliation says it all. DEMOCRAT. That's all I need to know.

Soph, this is one of the most shameless plugs I've ever seen for a political candidate.

sawgrass
1940
sawgrass 06/12/14 - 08:09 pm
Corgimom

I'm sure Corgimom will make an "off the cuff comment" on how our President has the power, thru his office, to grant releases to any federal prisoner including POWs. She makes it a point to accuse anyone who disagrees with her that they must have slept thru their Civics class. At this point she is correct. The President does have that power. However, the people at Guantanamo Bay are not classified as POWs! They are classified as detainees. Big difference.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/12/14 - 08:57 pm
SAIGON PART 2

As we watch on the overseas TV Channels I am seeing the emergency evacuation of Americans out Baghad as the ISLAMIC Terrorist convoys move in. In watching I am reminded of the Vietnam War ending in negotiated and over-publicized lie of it being a "draw" and the fall of Saigon.

Whatever the reason we went into Iraq, America intervention resulted in a Tyrant and his sons being removed from of power. A family of murderers that killed anything in their way to stay in power.

Like Vietnam we propped up IRAQ with US $$$$$ for food, fuel, rebuilding, and with the most expensive thing we have, the lives of our troops.

Like Vietnam our well meaning leaders in Washington handed FREEDOM to a population that had never lived it, understood it, had had the means, or gumption to protect it. It likely because we as Americans don't understand "Go With The Flow" to stay alive. Each of us are always bucking the system in some way or form. It is our nature as Americans, but IRAQ for the last 70 years it meant Death.

However you count it and look at it, once again, after the 1000's
of deaths of US Soldiers while freeing a repressed IRAQI society,
we are now leaving and the country is falling back into the same
despair. As we leave, Washington Politicians in power are
allowing the very terrorists group of 9-11, to move in and take
control. Sure Washington talk and play like they are supporting
IRAQ, but that will fade more and more and end before the 2016 elections.

You would think Washington would have learned that setting WITHDRAWAL dates in stone, is just giving the enemy a time table of attack and forethought for planning a Media Co-OP's.

So again as we are leave, we leaving another country not prepared for self rule, a country that will become a breeding ground 1000's of ANTI-USA terrorists.

But my biggest gripe is not IRAQ Political problems.

For me it boils down to these questions.
Why did we send troops to die or be crippled for life, if this is the NEW USA typical mission plan for US Military occupation?

What have America's or the Iraqi's gained for the 1000's death?

Because right now, to me, right this minute.
It seems the only winner here is the MILITARY INDUSTRIES COMPLEX.
Those that made $$Trillions$$ off this 10+ year war and
occupation.

The very thing President Eisenhower warned us about prior to Vietnam back in 1961 as he was leaving office.

WASHINGTON HAS FAILED US AGAIN

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/12/14 - 09:03 pm
Traffic on Old Waynesboro Rd during Hwy 56 Construction

Could someone please RETIME THE Traffic Light at Old Waynesboro Rd and Hwy 56.

Old Waynesboro Rd has become a popular Detour during the new construction for everything leaving the nuke Plant in Burke Co.

The Nuke Plant and Summer school Traffic is backing up a mile at different commute times of the day. All while the traffic light is still set to the old traffic patterns.

About 10 cars about every 2 mins.

dwb619
dwb619 06/12/14 - 09:08 pm
nocnoc 8:57

EXACTLY!

Airman
Airman 06/12/14 - 09:22 pm
Ranter 4 and 7

Yes I feel really good. Obummer doesn't lie. Gang when I say that why does not nose feel like it is growing.

Ok the rant on GM. It is hard to recall more cars that you sold, but that's being a nit picker. I am not a supporter of the unions but in this case they are not at fault. The engineers ignored the problem for years. The ignition problem starts and stays at the top.

Airman
Airman 06/12/14 - 09:27 pm
Sawgrass

I would be shocked if she did not!

corgimom
corgimom 06/12/14 - 10:08 pm
Sawgrass, nope, sorry, I

Sawgrass, nope, sorry, I didn't accuse anybody of sleeping through Civics class.

I was addressing a post where THE POSTER said "I must have slept through Civics class." I didn't accuse anybody of anything.

Go back and read it. And then shame on you for accusing me of something I didn't do, but that reflects upon YOU, not me.

I ALSO said that a President has the power to pardon ANY FEDERAL PRISONER.

I didn't say that a President could pardon a POW.

But hey, sawgrass, next time, get your facts straight, you know, it is unseemly for you to accuse people of saying things that they didn't say. Not to mention rude, and just plain silly.

But that's ok, your post made me laugh!

And I COULD get you spanked for insulting me, except for that you didn't insult me, I can't get insulted when I read funny stuff.

But seriously, the next person you pull that on- you'll get reported. I even got reported because I hurt somebody's feelings when I was writing to somebody else, mentioning them by name, and somebody else thought I was referring to them! Around here, you get reported for insulting people that you didn't even know that you were insulting!

corgimom
corgimom 06/12/14 - 10:12 pm
Ranter #7- a book was

Ranter #7- a book was published in 1971, by Arthur Hailey, titled "Wheels".

The part about autoworkers being drunk and impaired- you'll read about it in that book. And that was back in 1971. That is nothing new.

Great book, packed with insider information about the auto industry.

And don't buy a car manufactured on a Monday or a Friday.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/12/14 - 10:25 pm
#5

Ranter #5 asked:

Why did Richmond County summer school have to be out at Cross Creek with all the traffic tie-ups they have with road construction?

I think you answered your own question.

:-~

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/12/14 - 10:34 pm
Carter

Sophisticated posted:

Jason Coarter fought to protect voting rights and challenged an overtly partisan reapportionment of the State Senate.

Excuse me, but Jason Carter sought to have a federal court overturn a Georgia law that requires us to present a photo I.D. to show that when we appear in a polling place that we are indeed the person we present ourselves to be. Carter should hang his head in shame to oppose Voter I.D. laws.

Vote him down!

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/12/14 - 10:56 pm
Jason Carter is Jimmy's

Jason Carter is Jimmy's grandson. That's enough for me right there.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/12/14 - 11:06 pm
The Killing Fields

The Iraqi killing fields are about to begin.

corgimom
corgimom 06/12/14 - 11:10 pm
They put summer school in a

They put summer school in a school where there isn't any major construction, renovation, or cleaning projects planned.

It's too dangerous to have kids in a construction zone.

deestafford
deestafford 06/12/14 - 11:20 pm
nocnoc, Our model after we conquer a country....

Our model after we conquer a country and occupy it should be the way GEN MacArthur ruled over Japan until it was ready to be on its own.

The Japanese worship MacArthur for what he developed them to be. The problem of course is the total lack of people with his knowledge of history and fortitude to get the job done right.

The civil libertarians would be all over someone if they ran a country the way he ran Japan. Shoot, we can't even finish a war right by totally crushing the enemy and destroying his will to fight. I guess we don't want to hurt his feelings and self-esteem.

I guarantee if something like the above would have been done as it was in Japan Iraq would be a totally different country and Al Queada or any of its sympathizers would no longer exist in Iraq.

corgimom
corgimom 06/12/14 - 11:23 pm
Dee Stafford, do you think

Dee Stafford, do you think that Al Queada only exists in Iraq?

What would you do, level the entire Middle East and Africa, too?

That's why that old model is useless in this, the terrorists are spread out among several countries.

It's not just one isolated country that is an island, it's all over the Middle East.

countyman
20609
countyman 06/13/14 - 12:31 am
CBD is an great place to live, work, and play!!!

The sign for the new Sprint Food Metro Market is up on Broad street..

851 Broad street(right next to the Augusta Common)
1st floor= metro market and covered outdoor seating/indoor seating
2nd floor= Sprint offices

The new construction will help spur redevelopment along Lower Broad and the city must take advantage of the location.. The events held at the Augusta Common need attentional publicity and the city of Augusta can even partner with Sprint in the future.

corgimom
corgimom 06/13/14 - 12:51 am
Countyman, with every price

Countyman, with every price increase at the gas pumps, the attractions at downtown have to get bigger and better. And they don't, all of those festivals are pretty much the same. After awhile, they blur and if you've been to one, you've been to them all.

There has to be a strong reason to get people to drive 15 or 20 miles, and the population just keeps moving farther and farther away from downtown. And these festivals- which draw a lot of families- are competing with all the activities that kids now do on weekends.

The competition is stiff and getting worse. Parents that work have jam-packed weekends, and they might go to one or two festivals, but they aren't going to keep doing it weekend after weekend.

corgimom
corgimom 06/13/14 - 12:54 am
A tiny little market- it

A tiny little market- it doesn't even look as big as a 7/11- and you think that will spur redevelopment?

Really?

Wow.

corgimom
corgimom 06/13/14 - 12:56 am
Gotta say, I agree with

Gotta say, I agree with Stuaby.

Who cares where Jason Carter practices law? Who even cares that he practices law?

I wouldn't care if he cleaned the cages at the Atlanta Zoo, he's just another windbag politician.

corgimom
corgimom 06/13/14 - 12:56 am
Jason Carter is another one

Jason Carter is another one that would roll in dog mess if he thought it would get him elected.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/13/14 - 04:38 am
Sprint Food Market

I actually believe the gas station on the corner is bigger than the Sprint Food Metro Market Cman says Augusta should partner with. The busy gas station has a little eating area and place where people scratch off their cards, plus a sub sandwich shop in the back. By the way, what's "attentional publicity?" Is that a typo?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/13/14 - 04:50 am
Fascism

Countyman posted:

. . . the city of Augusta can even partner with Sprint in the future.

City government "partnering" with a grocery store. I'm sure Benito Mussolini is smiling from his grave, while George Washington is sadly spinning in his.

Where else but hell can our city go with this diabolical notion of "partnering" with well-connected businesses? The non-connected businesses are just flat out of luck.

Governments picking winners and losers in what should be a free marketplace is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/13/14 - 06:03 am
My Simple Example

On why ARC T-SPLOST collections are LOW Again.
-----------------------

It does not take a MATH WHIZ to understand human nature.

Gas Prices yesterday @ Kroger in GA $3.59 & in SC $3.39 (no discount)

My trip across the river to SC completely fill up
saved me $3.80 x 52 or $197.60 a year
$197 buys a lot of other things.

While In North Augusta the wife shopped Hamericks, I shopped
a clean and easy to find a parking spot and NA Wally World. We ate at The New China Buffet (it improved since last visit) next to Radio Shack spending another $283 dollars while we were there.

TSPLOST and lower gas prices in SC has lost ARC & GA their 7% or $19.81 in taxes while I saved on Gas.

NOTE:North Augusta Sales tax are 1% lower 7% vs 8%.

The problem with TSPLOST was pointed out early on.
It relied on 3 key tax bases AUGUSTA, MACON, COLUMBUS to generate $$$$. The problem is 2 of the 3 border states where the Gas is cheaper a few miles away.

So if only 20% of Augusta or Columbus Ga choose to drive a few miles that can easily account for the reduced TSPLOST collections.

QUOTING THE AC Article July 2013 by Susan M.
"The extra 1-cent tax on sales fell 14.7 percent be­low state estimates for the Central Savannah River Area region"

BUT DON'T FORGET
I also shopped while there, so that $19.81 x 52 x 10,000 shoppers a year means GA/ARC could be losing as much as $10,301,200.00 a year in taxes.

Given this simple human shopping logic, ARC government still wanted to pass S7.

iaaffg
iaaffg 06/13/14 - 06:24 am
who let the dog out again?

who let the dog out again?

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/13/14 - 08:07 am
Traffic on Old Waynesboro Rd during Hwy 56 Construction

My question is, why did they close lanes on Old Waynesboro at the intersection and close lanes on 56 from Old Waynesboro to north of Tobacco Rd WHEN THERE IS NO WORK GOING ON IN THAT AREA YET.

It was totally unnecessary to create that currently occurring traffic cluster.......err......goat rope and traffic back up on Old Waynesboro Rd until they actually start work on that 1/4 mile stretch from Old Waynesboro to Tobacco Rd. The traffic back ups were already bad enough during school rush hour(s) but things are absolutely HORRIFIC now. It might could be made a LITTLE better by changing the timing on the light but not by much.....and that would just cause longer back ups on 56 going in both directions. There was NO reason to alter the traffic pattern at these intersection until they were ready to the work....you know....the probably 2 weeks worth of work they actually need to do in that little 1/4 mile stretch.

And as for PLANNING, which we have NONE of in this county, they SHOULD have fixed the Old Waynesboro intersection at 56 BEFORE they built 2 schools on Old Waynesboro and a 3rd school on Brown Rd. Residents out here are virtually trapped by school traffic and school buses twice a day when things are normal and they are ACTUALLY trapped now that we have the mismanagement of the construction on 56.

There was NO reason to screw up these intersections until they were ready to do the 2 or 3 weeks worth of work from Old Waynesboro to Tobacco Rd. My guess is that this will be the last area fixed and we will be trapped like rats for a couple of years. But hey it's the south end.....they don't have to consider the residents.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/13/14 - 08:10 am
Wow the military can support

Wow the military can support gay pride? Can they support religious groups too? I think not. Funny though homosexuality is chastised by Abrahamic religions so is supporting homosexuality supporting ant-religious views and atheism-which the SCOTUS says is a religion. LOL. That is called progressive logic-usually used to protest any hint of church and state and prevent the Fort from expressing any religion.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/13/14 - 08:11 am
Another 9-11 in the making??

With the takeover of banks & oil fields, will we see another disaster here...& shouldn't the European nations be just a tad concerned about this...I agree the US should do their part but we have an invasion coming from our south right now....babies in diapers can be dangerous stuff!
Get tuff or get out of congress....right now, I don't think we can handle kids at border much less Iraqi...

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/13/14 - 08:15 am
Old Waynesboro Rd mess

dichotomy & noc

My guess is that they KNOW where you two live & this was done on purpose because of your posts to veto splost...nothing else BUT THAT!
Nothing else makes sense....:)