Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

KUDOS TO THE Colum­bia County Commission for balancing the new $190 million annual budget without imposing a property tax increase. Now, if you can figure out a way to annex the parts of west Augusta that are in Richmond County, we’re ready, willing and able to help improve your property tax digest. We’re facing a property tax increase, a stormwater fee and another “give everybody some more free tax money” special purpose local option sales tax vote next year.

PLEASE ASK DANIELLE Moores whether the Hot Foods people are really still on Broad St. I think when I passed it on the Washington Road bus that the building is now closed.

INSTEAD OF WASTING money and time on July 22, why don’t we have those runoffs in November? Those people can’t begin serving until January anyway, right?

I’D LOVE TO SEE President Obama publicly support breathing. Then all these so-called conservatives wouldn’t take another breath just to spite him, and we’d be back to a conservative movement that uses its brains instead of just following whichever talking head that incenses the people the most.

I FILED FOR DIVORCE more than seven months ago and still haven’t received a court date nor has my soon-to-be ex-husband been served. I have received every excuse from the calendar is full, the judge is having surgery, the judge doesn’t work during the week of the Masters, one sheet is missing out of my paperwork (this was the most recent lie I was told). I was given the last excuse after I called and demanded to know why I know people who have filed, taken their parenting class and had their divorces finalized, all after me and with a different and obviously more organized judge and clerk.

GET YOUR FACTS straight. Okinawa was the largest sea-borne invasion in history. It was twice the size of D-Day in troops, ships, aircraft and deaths.

IT’S A SHAME HOW feebleminded youngsters are committing armed robberies for pills to bolster their habit. The judge needs to send them on a long ride.

countyman
20585
countyman 06/11/14 - 07:33 pm
Double standards

#1.. Wow.. The article related to the CC budget was just printed yesterday and somehow there's a rave praising CC already.. It's sad when even some of the citizens in Richmond County fall victim to the media coverage..

The only people mentioning a property tax increase are 2-3 commissioners and you need six votes.. The city needs to enact the excise tax(1-2 years) and make other cuts..

The person doesn't want to pay the stormwater fee in Richmond County, but is willing to be annexed by a county with a stormwater fee already in place.. They don't want to support the upcoming splost in RC, but the upcoming splost in CC is irrelevant..

countyman
20585
countyman 06/11/14 - 08:00 pm
CBD is an great place to live, work, and play!!!

The $1.3 million 356 Sushi & Martini bar will open at 1033 Broad and include outdoor seating..

Please support downtown and the local businesses... Every vibrant city must provide a dynamic urban core.. The city of Augusta must do a much better job of promoting downtown(events, festivals, new businesses, branding, etc) and enact the vacant property tax.. The Multi-Modal transportation center, Broad street veranda, expanding the park at the Riverwalk, police substation on Broad, and cameras(all the major corridors across the city) offer solutions to attract private growth...

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/12/14 - 03:15 am
Well Connected Lawyer

It appears the husband of that woman trying to get a divorce has a better connected lawyer than she does.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/12/14 - 04:43 am
Obama Supports Breathing.

We don't have to worry about Obama publicly supporting breathing. He can't figure out a way to tax it and redistribute the air.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/12/14 - 03:44 pm
Chronicle Praising Columbia County

I think they are far too hesitant to praise Columbia County as it speeds along becoming one of the premier counties in the nation. I think I understand why, but just saying...

iaaffg
iaaffg 06/12/14 - 06:12 am
just got back from san

just got back from san antonio; while there took a walk on their extended riverwalk (not the section that's downtown w/all the restaurants/bars/hotels, but the other end) and it was absolutely gorgeous. amazing what can be done when people work together and not against each other. also, amazing what can be done with tax monies, putting it towards things for the benefit of all citizens (especially those paying the taxes) instead of towards things that benefit only those who don't pay any taxes at all.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/12/14 - 06:34 am
Annexation is legal in Ga.

Under OCGA contiguously connected group and/or line properties the are connected to another county or town may vote to be annexed since the legal precedent was established here in the RC/CC over 30 years ago. Back in the later part of 1979 or early 1980's part of a community voted on Joining Columbia Co. or sticking with Richmond Co.

Now think about the amount of TAX rev and property taxes that ARC stands to write off the books.

Now think of the Taxes that those that changing counties will save.

Now think of the future tax increases they will not incur due to "Projects" that overrun, by 2 or 3 x the estimates?

Now think of the $$$Millions$$$ not handed over by tax payers that would be wasted keeping up a Dying downtown with senseless idea after expensive idea.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/12/14 - 06:53 am
BTW: DIST 8

ANNEXATION Or De-consolidation is NOT DEAD.
Plans have been in the works for a vote now for a while.
Picking a date only requires filing notice, Photocopied stack of petitions & 10 volunteers working Friday & Saturday to collecting signatures in front of South Sides stores and parking lots.

According to OCGA all it takes is 10% of the registered VOTING voters to sign a petition asking for a YES or NO vote be included on the ballot.

Now think if the requirement is 10% that voted in the last election which was 30.02%, (29943) that means less than 3000 signatures are needed to get it on the ballot this NOV. WITHOUT ANY ARGUMENT.

However we are talking Dist 8 Voters that Voted.
Dist 8 only had 3453 votes so the Petition only needs 350 signatures to place it in the ballot in Dist 8.

OBTW: it was 24 votes that were written in, not 22.

and although Wayne ran unopposed he still got 99.14% of the votes cast with 2770 votes.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/12/14 - 06:55 am
COUNTYMAN - Question

Whats up with Regency Mall?
Been seeing a lot of activity that this week down on the Moneky Ward end of the mall.

corgimom
corgimom 06/12/14 - 07:27 am
Those Downtown businesses are

Those Downtown businesses are like a revolving door, you think people would get the idea that it can only support a certain amount of business. The restaurant business nationwide is in trouble, so hey, let's start a new restaurant.

And then they will wonder why it won't do well.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/12/14 - 07:36 am
Will Earth to have a mild Friday the 13th?

Three large solar flares are expected to pass over Earth on Friday.

I wonder now many people will be yelling into their cell phone this time....
CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/12/14 - 07:47 am
TRI-CARE & MANDATORY MED SHIPPING

We got our 1st mandatory shipment in yesterday. But while we were in conducting our closing Walk Thru - 162 miles away.

It sat on the front porch unguarded, in a Styrofoam container packed with ice bags with 90 days worth of Oxycontin, insulin, and etc....
from about 1:30pm until we discovered it this morning at 7:30am.
90d Heat / Rain and etc..

Given the shipping container, Ice bags, USPS postage, shipping and handling and etc...

How is this more cost effective and secure than Barney's Pharmacy?

corgimom
corgimom 06/12/14 - 07:59 am
Because they buy the drugs

Because they buy the drugs dirt-cheap from the manufacturer, nocnoc. Even with the packaging and shipping, they still save money, because they have huge economy of scale pricing.

Those drugs only cost pennies on the dollar, but the pharmacies make a fortune off of them.

This is why we stopped having ours shipped too (we have a choice, mail order or pharmacy pickup), ours were sitting all day long in a black metal mailbox, right at the street.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/14 - 08:06 am
Still on your porch?

I'm surprised you still had a package there....were the dogs in the yard?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/14 - 08:11 am
Say what ctyman??

"The only people mentioning a property tax increase are 2-3 commissioners "

Do you read the same Augusta Chronicle?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/14 - 08:29 am
Hah--can we all meet in that kitchen?

. Go sit in your friends, Mr. and Mrs. Bob Young’s kitchen and try to figure out who, what and where you are.
(RMs message to Barrow)

I'm trying to figure out where I am....because this country can't be the same one I grew up in...somebody is lying to me.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/12/14 - 08:45 am
Divorce

I feel the pain of the lady going through the divorce. But I have to say that if the justice system has not even served notice to the husband, that she's got a much longer wait ahead. The people who get divorces quickly are divorces where both parties want out. If one side wants to stall, you can wait a long time indeed.

JRC2024
JRC2024 06/12/14 - 08:53 am
Iagree with you iaffg. All

Iagree with you iaffg. All things should be done for the benifit of those who pay taxes and work to support themselves.

shamrock
shamrock 06/12/14 - 08:58 am
San Antonio

I had the opportunity a couple of years ago to spend a week in downtown San Antonio. A friend, who lives there, explained that the downtown area is the "safest zip code" in the entire city. That area is their "bread and butter" and they use a combination of visible law enforcement along with undercover officers to keep the area safe. The safety translates to more visitors, more money and continual improvements. Man or woman can walk down the street late at night and feel safe! If only the ARC commission had the same foresight instead of continually bickering over the small stuff.

Itsallnew11
Itsallnew11 06/12/14 - 09:16 am
Marshall's Department

Regarding: TRAVELING IN AND out of the Augusta airport, I notice security is provided by security guards in blue uniforms. Most airports of this size and larger have local police or sheriff’s deputies. Why not our city?

The officers in blue at the Augusta airport are US Marshalls. I think they are more than qualified for the job.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/14 - 09:24 am
I still miss Conway

I can't do this on my ooowwwwnnn....but you'll have to lead me oooonnn.....sing it Loretttiee......♥

How do ya like this one Miss Peach...:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/12/14 - 09:31 am
San Antonio VS. CSRA

Well, let me one up all the San Antonio supporters. I LIVED there for two years and kept Bexar County (pronounced Bear) for years as my legal residence while in the Army. No state tax in Texas. It's probably the prettiest and most economical big city I've been in. But keep in mind, as I said the other day, I could have moved there or anywhere else when I got out of the Army and I chose the CSRA. The problem with San Antonio and other big cities is the obvious...the crowding. I can fish on the wide Savannah from my house and dock in Martinez and only see one or two boats. If I fished in Salado Creek there it was like 20 people fishing in a ditch. Appreciate what we have here is what I'm trying to tell you. It honest to God beats anyplace I've seen.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/12/14 - 09:32 am
Racial Divide in San Antonio

There is also a division of the neighborhoods around San Antonio as we have here. The difference is it's the whites and Hispanics there. The whites live out on the north side. I'd always wanted to visit Mexico and figured I would when I lived in San Antonio, but changed my mind after a while. Parts of the city were totally Hispanic, signs and everything with few who spoke English. I didn't need to go anywhere to have the Mexican "experience."

Eos
Eos 06/12/14 - 09:39 am
Pharmaceuticals

Maybe a solution is to get a P.O. Box for your meds? https://www.usps.com/manage/get-a-po-box.htm

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/14 - 09:42 am
Since Gwinnett is the MOST diverse in state

I don't have to go anywhere to have any experience....heh

As a matter of fact...right here in this neighborhood proves that! Not complaining because we do have good neighbors.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/12/14 - 09:51 am
Ah, so you saw my reference

Ah, so you saw my reference to Conway when you and Corgimom were giving me heck for saying Loretta should retire? Heh. I mean you just KNOW she and Conway had something going on. Just like Dolly and Porter.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/14 - 09:56 am
yep, river

I read you once in awhile....LOL

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/14 - 10:04 am
At the Ole Bell in Augusta

One of the best country music shows of all time (to me anyway)

Conway & Loretta
Dolly & Porter
G Jones & Tammy
All were great that night.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/12/14 - 10:17 am
Wow, That Was a GREAT Show

I never wanted to be a rock star. I always wanted to be a country music star, drinking liquor when I wanted, committing adultery with women like Dolly and Loretta and singing a gospel song every now and then to repent. I read Kris Kristofferson story and he talked about when he lived with Janis Joplin. He said he would get up every morning intending to leave and she would give him a big glass of whiskey and that would end all thoughts of leaving. When he and Rita Coolidge would perform together she said he always sang drunk with his eyes shut. Yup, I could deal with all that.

Upscale addiction treatment facility opens

The facility off Bennock Mill Road is a cutting-edge residential addiction treatment facility, combining evidence-based treatment and wellness approaches like diet and personalized exercise ...