Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

WHENEVER THE CITY is cutting down trees and repaving roads, it would be so nice if they would put in underground power, even if it was just a few neighborhoods. It would be more modern; it would look better, and when there is an ice storm, you wouldn’t have to worry about downed lines. The best time to do this is when they already digging to fix the roads or replace trees.

IT IS SO FRUSTRATING to stand in a checkout line and watch the first person in the line wait until the cashier tells them what they owe before they start looking for the means to pay. Do they think it is going to free?

SHAME ON YOU (Chronicle) for not putting anything in the paper about Man/Women of the Year for the Lymphoma and Leukemia Society. These folks worked very hard to raise greater than 200K in the fight against blood cancers. Congratulations to everyone that worked so hard to make it a success. (If you put something in and I missed it. I apologize).

IT TURNS OUT THAT “POW” Bergdahl is actually a deserter. Bergdahl’s father is writing sympathetic letters to the Taliban. And Obama releases five leaders of the Taliban -- who no doubt -- will kill more Americans. Absolute Insanity!!

WHATEVER FORMER VA Chief Mr. Shinseki may have or have not done that resulted in the sorry state of affairs at the nation’s VA Hospitals, it is now a moot point. A blood sacrifice has been made. The Media God has been appeased. The mess has been atoned for. Now we can go back to business as usual and the media minions can re-enter the fray to make the world safe for Truth, Justice and the American Way. No one should notice that in addition to our veterans, the Obamacare bell tolls for us also. Sleep well.

WHAT A BIG MISTAKE to swap five high level Taliban commanders for an army deserter. It’s laughable and stupid to think that those five will keep away from Taliban activities once they arrive in Qatar. What happened to our philosophy of not bargaining with terrorists? This episode shows how this administration lacks leadership!

MARION WILLIAMS, the goats like to eat early, so don’t be late.

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED that they canceled the parade and welcome-home for our newest traitor. I also heard that Jane Fonda volunteered to ramrod the whole thing. That would have been great – traitor to traitor.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/08/14 - 06:21 pm
No class,

but who is surprised after seeing the classless behavior abroad from his wife. Of course, his subjects and down thumbers will see nothing wrong, as they probably never learned decorum either.

Tweets from the French after he is whacking gum during the D-Day ceremony:

1. Barack Obama and his chewing gum disgust me. What a lack of respect; it’s revolting.
2. Obama and his chewing gum… Shouldn’t somebody tell him this is an homage to the soldiers?
3. Obama and his chewing gun: American class!
4. My mother told me to “tweet to Obama and tell him that it’s a lack of manners to chew gum during a ceremony.”
5. Obama too impolite; he’s chewing gum.
6. Obama in the middle of chewing gum! If he were in my class, he wouldn’t get away with this!
7. I find Obama much too happy for the occasion, and he’s annoying me with his gum.
8. Barack Obama with his chewing gum; he respects nothing. He’s funny, this guy!
9. Obama’s chewing gum… Seriously…

What was that again about this president restoring America’s standing in the world? Just something to chew on.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/08/14 - 06:44 pm
About those driverless cars

we talked about the other day.

When the first automobiles were made, the folks on horses predicted the same calamities. It all worked out didn't it? I doubt any of us posting today will live to see widespread use of them, but bet your sweet bippy that is the next major stage of transportation. The Jetsons in a couple of hundred years maybe, but "automatic" cars are right around the corner.

As far as speed limits, if I am kicked back relaxing, and not having to deal with traffic, what is 5mph + or -?

countyman
20153
countyman 06/09/14 - 02:39 am
#1.. Agree 100%The former

#1.. Agree 100%

The former Wife Saver on Highland Avenue will soon have a new tenant(restaurant)..

Either help create a neighborhood village concept alongside the Surrey Center or demolish the homes and let the private sector expand the center..

corgimom
corgimom 06/09/14 - 05:45 am
Ranter #2- It takes all of 15

Ranter #2- It takes all of 15 seconds to pull out a wallet or get a debit card out of a purse. You must lead some life, if that' "frustrates" you.

As for me, I am too busy watching the minimum-wage clerk ringing up and bagging my groceries and catching the mistakes they are making, so sorry that it frustrates you for me to spend an extra 15 seconds.

Now, if you really want to complain about something, talk about how the stores require management overrides for just about everything, because they've had so much employee theft, and it takes 10 minutes for the manager to get there.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/09/14 - 05:45 am
Demolish the homes???

Demolish the homes???

corgimom
corgimom 06/09/14 - 05:48 am
Yeah, Riverman, absurd, isn't

Yeah, Riverman, absurd, isn't it?

I don't know where he thinks poor people should live, North Richmond maybe? *snort*

corgimom
corgimom 06/09/14 - 05:50 am
Itsa, I don't know, is that

Itsa, I don't know, is that worse than when Betty Ford would appear on camera drunk?

And who cares what the French think about anything? If it hadn't been for the US, they would be speaking German about now. How quickly they forget.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/09/14 - 05:52 am
In A Hurry To Checkout

About the person who wants the person checking out at the register to have his or her wallet out before the clerk is finished scanning the items, slow down a bit. A few seconds more are not that important in the grand scheme of things. We are all going to checkout before it's all over, if you know what I mean. Look at the front pages of the tabloids while you are standing there or something. If you are really in a hurry use the self-checkout line where you can absolutely go like a speed demon if you want.

Airman
Airman 06/09/14 - 06:52 am
Buried cables and lines

Don't expect this to be done. The city repairs the roads, then your various cable companies have to do their own cables. Then the power companies . All of the overhead stuff is scheduled to be buried at some point in time but is done on a budgeted basis. They are not like our government . Spend money that's not in the budget, if they did it would bankrupt them and we would not need cable

Airman
Airman 06/09/14 - 06:59 am
The President or Czar

The President or Czar or what ever he is does not care how he projects his image in public. He has no manners and in my opinion does he have feelings. The smiling during the somber times is worse than the gum. Most of us were taught in grade school not to talk with your mouth full and not to chew gum while talking or giving a speach. My parents taught me not to smack my gum or chew with my mouth open.. If he is chewing Nicorette between smokes then you just need to chew a couple of times then park it by your gums. But then again directions are not for him he has a pen.

iaaffg
iaaffg 06/09/14 - 07:19 am
the prez chews gum during a

the prez chews gum during a solemn ceremony. lebron james acts like a street thug waiting to rumble during the singing of the national anthem in s.a.: what's bred in the bone will out in the flesh; actions speak louder than words, etc.etc. those who show no respect, get no respect, doesn't matter if you hold the highest office in this country or can shoot a basket through a net from 100 yards out.
impatient people at the register: get over yourself. you are not the only person on the earth and the sun does not revolve about your insignificant little body, hopes, dreams, and schedules. you are probably a tailgater on the highways, too, no doubt, the ones who ride up on bumpers and flash lights impatiently and beep the horn. we laugh at you.
prez trades terrorists for a coward: why does this surprise anyone at this point? when has this guy done anything that makes any sense?
ripping up folks' lawns for 'progress': yeah, we need more roads, more asphalt, more concrete, more room for the people who can't wait in a store line w/o spazzing out to be able to get to their next destination in 3.5 minutes, rather than the 5.6 minutes it was previously taking. i wonder, when it comes time to meet the grim reaper, will they also be as pressed for time and in a hurry?

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/09/14 - 07:58 am
This SC Driver Has Got Talent

Sat 4PM Broad 10th street headed towards 5th street.

White Female Driver
20-25 y/o
Brownish hair
White Ford SUV newer model.
Tag 55#????

Left hand out the window with lit cigarette.
Right hand holding a smart phone up next her ear talking.
Left Knee driving the car.
6 blocks with stoplights & lane changes.
PLUS, she managed to turn left on to the 5th street bridge.
ALL without using a either hand.

That's talent, stupid dangerous talent.

Airman
Airman 06/09/14 - 08:12 am
Nocnoc

I came to your fair city this weekend for family reasons. On I20 between Thompson and Augusta I witnessed a female driver in a Ford SUV with her iPad on the steering wheel. I slowed as I passed her and asked my wife to see if it was a map on the screen, still no excuse. Turns out it was easily recognized as an iBook . She was driving about sixty in a seventy reading a book. As we approached Grovetown she passed me, I was doing seventy five. Yep within 3 minutes she had slowed down, I guess for a good part of her book. Could not resist the temptation to blow my horn. Hindsight it was stupid because she could have swerved and caused an accident. She sped up once again and disappeared. I found her again on exit 5 in South Carolina, yes she was on the shoulder and one of South Carolina's finest was writing her a love letter on the side of the road. Must have been love at first sight

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/09/14 - 08:16 am
airman

You reported her, didn'tya? lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/09/14 - 08:20 am
President in public

I liked it when his Mrs made him change seats when he was flirting tooo much...I think that was at Mandela's funeral.

He was having too much fun..:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/09/14 - 08:20 am
Chewing Gun Incident

Reminds me of Deke when he gave the graduation address at ASU.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/09/14 - 08:23 am
Can you do that?

Chewing Gun Incident

I didn't know you could chew one of those things...dang!

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/09/14 - 08:26 am
Ha...that's so funny I won't

Ha...that's so funny I won't change it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/09/14 - 08:29 am
About Chewing Guns

Reminds me of Sally Struthers in Bullitt. Yeeeeooooowwww!

justthefacts
22078
justthefacts 06/09/14 - 08:35 am
Can't help but notice

All the driving incidents above involve women. Driving and voting..........

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/09/14 - 08:37 am
We have a change of address

Doctors--Dentist--rehab center..

Just send our mail to one of the three....that is where we will be...dang snotty good ole days is what they call it!
I'm throwing the dice & taking #2 today--he will take #3.....geez.

They must have been drinking when they named these days the golden years. seeyall

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/09/14 - 08:38 am
Females--haha

Watch it JTF.....:)

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/09/14 - 08:44 am
Just for the record

Note the WORLDWIDE part CM?

President Obama was caught on camera chewing gum during the D-Day ceremonies in France as Queen Elizabeth II was welcomed, and Twitter feeds worldwide exploded with criticism.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/6/obama-chews-gum-d-day-cer...
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/09/14 - 09:16 am
#2

I feel your pain. Men with wallets are bad enough, but women who are standing there with the purse on the shoulder are worse. Unsling the purse, unzip it, find the wallet, get it open, count out the paper, scratch around in the bottom of the purse searching for three pennies, can't find them, dig around in the wallet again for a nickel.... OR, stand there waiting for a total before ever making a move to write a check. This, after being third in line with plenty of time to get the check mostly made out. If you are lucky, they don't argue over the nickel discount they thought they should have gotten on the can of beans.

Yup, I feel your pain. These same people are probably the ones who get in line at McD's drive through, and when their turn comes still haven't made up their minds on what to order.

It is not that I'm in a hurry. I just consider it impolite and inconsiderate to those behind you. At the store, on the road, or anywhere else my actions affect others; I make a conscious effort to not be a nuisance to others.

justthefacts
22078
justthefacts 06/09/14 - 09:23 am
seenit

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/09/14 - 10:16 am
We have lost our collective

mind in this country!

"First-grader Darin Simak goes to Martin Elementary in New Kensington, PA. On Wednesday he went to school just like any other day but, when he arrived, he realized there was a toy gun in his backpack.

What did Darin do?

Darin tried to do the right thing by immediately bringing the toy gun to his teacher and explained that “he knows he’s not supposed to have it.” His mom, Jennifer, said, “So I send my child to school. My child discovers a fake toy gun at about 1:30 p.m. He turns it in to the teacher and he’s sent to the office and suspended.”

hoptoad
hoptoad 06/09/14 - 10:35 am
Corgimom's comments several days ago

Corgimom asked the question “Who THINKS like that?” in one of her previous comments about a ranter’s post who said he thought America should take a firmer stand against our enemies.
Americans tired of watching our young women and men provide training, education, medical assistance, supplies, and kindness to the Islamists only to have them turn around and kill those very same young men and women; Americans tired of politicians running our military dictating our soldiers be diplomatic and sensitive instead of allowing commanders who are trained, knowledgeable and experienced to conduct conflicts wars or conflicts; tired of wars/conflicts needlessly lasting for years because we must be must be diplomatic and sensitive- that's who thinks like that!
America needs to send a direct, firm, no-nonsense message no matter how harsh it may be, to curtail and hopefully put an end to the terrorism that is constantly visited upon Americans.
“You mean like the Nazis and the Japanese did to American POW"s?”
I guess it’s alright for them to cut off our soldiers’ heads and drag them through their streets? These terrorists are not a nation or a country. They are comprised of people from many different countries, and are thus more like gang members. We should never have negotiated with them especially for the price we paid. These men are NOT POWs, they are criminals – mass murderers. Why didn’t Mr. O just agree to give the terrorists some of our taxpayers’ money which is what they first requested in exchange for Bergdahl, Mr. Obama is certainly not shy about whizzing away our money everywhere else?
“And learn your American civics, too- the President is the Commander-in-Chief of the military and had EVERY RIGHT to do that. That was not an executive decision,that was a military decision.”
Civics was taught to me in high school in the 50’s and I do not remember anything in that class that stated the president has the right to deal with terrorists and turn mass murderers loose. Maybe I was absent that day! The president can pardon American prisoners but as far as I know a president doesn’t pardon non-citizen terrorists. He personally signed a document stating he would inform congress of these actions 30 days in advance. While he may have left himself a loophole in case of emergencies, this was no emergency and was contrived with only his devoted minions many months ago. He had more than 30 days to inform the intelligence committee but he lied once again. This was not a military decision, this was a political decision that is backfiring on him and, as usual, the media and liberal talking heads are trying to cover his behind by making unfounded assumptions about the circumstances surrounding this soldier’s acquisition. This president has none of the qualifications, education or experience, or ethics to be called Commander-in-Chief. This administration is lead by a narcissistic, egoistic prevaricator who doesn’t deserve to be called Commander-in-Chief just because our uninformed and misinformed population voted for him.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/09/14 - 11:43 am
Welcome aboard hoptoad. Your

Welcome aboard hoptoad. Your comment is spot on.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/09/14 - 12:35 pm
CSRA, CSRA, CSRA!!!

Yesterday, someone lamented there was nothing to do in Augusta and that created a little discussion. It rang a bell with me of something I read decades ago in the old Charleston News and Courier newspaper. A young woman wrote a letter to the Ashley Cooper column saying there was nothing to do in CHARLESTON. She said all her friends agreed with her.

The answer was you should look inward when you can’t find something to do. You are overlooking the obvious for various reasons. Then the examples of the beaches, parks, history, libraries, theaters and so on were given as activities that the letter writer and her friends were overlooking.

Folks, that applies to Augusta and the CSRA soooooo much. Around a metro of a half million people, we have year round world class golf, horses, shooting and boating of all kinds spread around a river, a huge freshwater lake, rolling hills of Aiken County, shopping of all kinds, an urban downtown and the quaint city of Aiken. The wealthy have been coming here for over a hundred years. Sure it’s not a plastic Disney Land, but it’s as real as it gets.

Keep in mind, I lived in Charleston, Washington D.C., Hershey, PA, San Antonio, Columbia, Savannah (Hinesville actually), Dothan, AL, Fayetteville, NC and 4 years overseas with numerous extended stays in various places abroad and in the U.S. I was never stationed here although I knew it well. I chose to move here when I got out of the Army and could have chosen any of the other places. I get what the cultured visitors to the CSRA see.

justthefacts
22078
justthefacts 06/09/14 - 12:46 pm
Here comes Hillary

New Book, ABC Special prime time interview. The Mainstream media begins the coronation of the next Prez.

DIANE SAWYER, ABC NEWS: It has been reported you've made $5 million making speeches, the president's made more than $100 million.

HILLARY CLINTON: Well, if you -- you have no reason to remember, but we came out of the White House not only dead broke, but in debt. We had no money when we got there and we struggled to, you know, piece together the resources for mortgages for houses, for Chelsea's education, you know, it was not easy. Bill has worked really hard and it's been amazing to me. He's worked very hard, first of all, we had to pay off all our debts which was, you know, we had to make double the money because of obviously taxes, and pay you have at debts, and get us houses and take care of family members.

You reckon $100 Million was enough?