Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

TO THE AUGUSTA Commis­sion: As a voter in the majority who voted no to the special purpose local option sales tax, I will continue to vote no each year if you continue to give that taxpayer money to private entities such as Paine College.

GOOGLE IS planning driverless cars? As an ex-truck driver who attended safety courses year after year, I wonder whether the complexities of driving in an environment where thousands of things a second are changing is possible yet in a computer? Perhaps they’ll be safer than those who insist they can talk on a cellphone and drive at the same time. Those cars might actually make the road safer.

RANT FOR THE PEOPLE in Atlanta who brought us a six-month lame-duck period for the mayor. Six months of Deke Copenhaver making decisions and Hardie Davis giving his opinion to Chronicle reporters. We only need one mayor at a time.

RANTS TO THE local news stations. They start their program with the weather, then 3-4 minutes of local news, and then they start on news from around the world that has been on the networks and cable news all day. I am sure there is enough local news happening that they could devote at least 15-20 minutes to it.

THE PAST FEW MONTHS my water bill in Columbia County has been repeatedly $10 higher. Nothing at my home has changed, not in 10 years. Does anyone else notice theirs being higher than the norm?

I AGREE WITH THE ranter about Berckmans Road. How can you let one private club move a street for the inconvenience of the several businesses and thousands of other residents who use that road for the other 51 weeks of the year?

HOW ON EARTH CAN the brand-new convention center have leaks of the roof already? Isn’t it still insured? And stop the talk of getting more money for an expensive walkway. Try out the pedestrian lights and crosswalk markings. Do we look like we are ready to pour money down the gutter?

A WONDERFUL KINDNESS was shown to a 90-year-old, young-at-heart woman at Cheddar’s last Saturday. A young gentleman helped Ms. Dottie celebrate her birthday with a monetary gift. Your kindness and generosity were much appreciated. Our group was impressed with your kindness and compassion. Ms. Dottie will still be talking about you on her next birthday. You made her day.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/05/14 - 09:37 pm
Clear State #1

SPLOST 's are to better the county.

Not to be used line pockets and help out PRIVATE Businesses and NON-Profits. These should live or die by their products and services, NOT the Taxpayer Wallet.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/05/14 - 09:39 pm
#2 Yes the charter needs

to be changed to reflect the election changes.

A 6 month Lame duck can lay a lot of bad eggs.

countyman
countyman 06/05/14 - 11:18 pm
New to the market!!

The rumor around town involves REI coming to Augusta in the future... This could be further along in the process compared to the other rumors(Chipotle, Dave & Busters, or Fuddruckers)...

babyboy
babyboy 06/06/14 - 03:29 am
Someone left a loaded gun in

Someone left a loaded gun in the toy aisle of Target.

A Target employee found a loaded handgun in the toy aisle of a South Carolina store last week, just days before activists began petitioning the retailer to ban firearms from its stores. The gun,loaded with live ammunition, was found sitting atop a superhero Playskool toy box at a Myrtle Beach store last Friday.

corgimom
corgimom 06/06/14 - 05:33 am
Ranter #5- You have a leak

Ranter #5- You have a leak somewhere.

Toilet, dishwasher, faucet, under the house, under the sink. Check your outdoor faucets too.

You could also have a leak in the pipe running from the meter to the house. If you can't find it, call a plumber.

That ice storm did a lot of damage, including pipes.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/06/14 - 05:36 am
Reminds Me Of Law Enforcement Center

They better spend a few million to fix the leaky roof at the TEE Center. The basketball courts may get messed up.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/06/14 - 06:15 am
Inherited or Acquired Traits

I believe it follows that the grandson of the worst president in U.S. history would likely be the worst governor in Georgia history. Whether the traits are inherited or acquired, I don't know, but they appear to be two peas in a pod.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/06/14 - 06:31 am
REI

Did their Security Assessment years ago and got to tour the warehouse and distribution facilities...

Their are not like a Academy, Cabela's, Gander Mountain

If they come, it will be a different setup.... think West coast Touchy Feeling walking with Nature.

NOTHING HUNTING.
The closest thing you'll come to a rifle, is a Map of the Rifle Gap Trails.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/06/14 - 06:31 am
OK where are we on President & Administration Scandals?

I am sorry I seem to of lost track.

Is it still
The Terrorist Swap, that was supposed to shift the attention from the VA Scandal, which was suppose to shift the attention from IRS Scandal, that was supposed to shift the attention from the Benghazi scandal, which was suppose to shift the attention from the Mass AMMO purchases and dumping, etc....

Heck there are so many I have lost track.

Airman
Airman 06/06/14 - 06:39 am
Water bill

I had a similar problem in another county. I requested an answer based on past usage. The county water people came out and inspected. After checking all water sources were closed my meter continued to run. The inspector came back into the house with some food coloring in a bottle. He poured some in each toilette tank. Two of the three had a small leak. I repaired the toilettes and wala my bill came back down.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/06/14 - 07:01 am
Touchy feely

You have a lot of touchy/feely folks in Augusta ...that would be right up their alley.....downtown Augusta.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/06/14 - 07:12 am
California Chrome don't let me down

It is time for the biggie to happen....pleeeeze let it.

I wish I knew how to bet online....maybe not though...I could start a bad habit!

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/06/14 - 07:19 am
seenit

The only way to make any money would be to bet against California Chrome. So, if you want him to win, don't bet on it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/06/14 - 07:29 am
Explain that JTF

What horse should I bet on...esp since I think Chrome will win?

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/06/14 - 08:03 am
Statiscally speaking

You have to bet $5 to win $2 at this moment. The odds will probably drop as more people bet on CC closer to post time. Are you going to risk that? He has a 66% chance of winning (according to odds makers). Do the math. Look at the horses before him who have won the 1st two and then lost the longer race. Lot's of really good ones. Again, you might very well win. But, you would have to put up a great deal to win very little (percentage wise). Bet against him and the opposite is true. But, it is great fun either way.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/06/14 - 08:12 am
ok...I see said the blind man:)

Will you be my finance man?? haha

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/06/14 - 08:14 am
Augusta needs the horse racing!

Ctyman--that is something you could push...many would flock to that!

Gotta run right now....see yall later.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/06/14 - 08:18 am
Finance man

You wouldn't want me. river has all the money.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/06/14 - 08:26 am
Maybe he has $$$

Amazing isn't it......if he didn't spend time on here, he could be filthy rich..lol

Maybe even like Sterling BUT that money would go to his head too! He would stay in trouble all the time....heh heh..
bye

jimmymac
jimmymac 06/06/14 - 08:26 am
BABYBOY

This looks like a set-up by the anti-gun group trying to justify gun bans in stores.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/06/14 - 09:21 am
"HOW ON EARTH CAN the

"HOW ON EARTH CAN the brand-new convention center have leaks of the roof already? Isn’t it still insured?"

Hey....it was built under a contract from our Procurement office wasn't it? I'm starting to think they put "roof must leak" in the contracts. Remember the Law Enforcement Center. I don't think they had gotten moved into that thing good before the roof started leaking. Or maybe the TEE's roof was damaged when we had to do the Paul Simon/Marriott Corp. $million HVAC system upgrade on a brand new system that already met state specifications.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/06/14 - 09:49 am
Berkmans inconvenience?

"thousands of other residents who use that road for the other 51 weeks of the year?"

HOW?? Just where is the inconvenience? I submit that it will be more convenient to the majority.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/06/14 - 09:56 am
Driverless cars

Will drive auto crashes to near zero. Computers don't take chances, don't weave in and out, don't speed, don't text, don't drink, don't go to sleep, don't fuss with pets and children in the car, don't put on makeup, talk on the phone, tailgate, or anything else but make millions of computations per second to get you where you are going as quickly and safely as possible.

The rare glitch or electronic disturbance may cause a crash; but on balance, your odds of being in a wreck are exponentially lower than it would be with humans at the wheel.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/06/14 - 10:00 am
RM1 - grandson of the worst president in U.S. history

Only for a short period
President Obama does not have any Grand Kids yet☺

BamaMan
BamaMan 06/06/14 - 11:28 am
Water bill

Have the water rates in Columbia County gone up in the last few months?

allhans
allhans 06/06/14 - 12:16 pm
A driverless car would take

A driverless car would take all the fun from the back seat drivers.
I wonder if we would still press the floor boards to help the computer stop the car.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/06/14 - 12:52 pm
Ha! allhans; I don't know

Ha! allhans; I don't know what my mother would do! Her butt prints are in the seat, a dent in the floorboard from stomping the brakes, and grip marks on the passenger armrest.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/06/14 - 01:14 pm
computer driver cars

If we had had these when I was a teen.
We would not had to park out by the Airport or off the Levee/Lovers lane in all those fields.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/06/14 - 01:25 pm
How To Go Broke Fast

Oh, we all know JTF is the wealthy one. The subcontractors (especially the ones from Atlanta) have taken all my money as I renovate my newly bought house. Don't mistake that for new house, heh. It's been three months since I bought it and the work continues. I have to wonder about the former owners. Carpet with the aroma of their two big dogs. Ya know? But what the heck, I can work another decade or two. No big deal.

stuaby
stuaby 06/06/14 - 04:13 pm
Driverless carsThis will

Driverless cars

This will only be beneficial if everyone has such a car. Otherwise, some people who are still driving manually will create havoc.

I'm sure the price tag will be prohibitive initially also.

The other problem is that one would be beholden to speeds that are programmed. I wouldn't want to be tooling down I-20 at 65 mph--or less even.

One good thing, I'm sure, is that the computerized cars will drive in the right lane unless passing. So, based on that, bring em on! I would be able to drive without being blocked by "I'm doing the speed limit" people.

Kettle donations rise in 2014