Rants & Raves

Comments from readers

THE POLITICAL SIGNS need to come down. They are eyesores. We are tired of seeing them.

IT MUST BE NICE that some veterans can get free homes, while the Vietnam veterans get nothing. We are treated like trash.

GOATS, GOATS. DON’T forget to let Williams out with the goats.

I AM DISABLED; IF I receive a robo-call from a political party or person, I make a notation of who called and then I do not vote for them.

RAVE FOR OUR VETS. Thank you, all of you.

RANT ABOUT YOUNG teenagers today. I work at an all-you-can-eat buffet. One guy walked out because it was too much work for the money. I don’t know who he thinks he is, but sometimes you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. That’s the problem with kids today: they don’t want to work. They want everything served to them on a silver platter.

SENATE CANDIDATE Michelle Nunn “stopped short of calling for (VA head) Shinseki firing…” She’s not even in office and she’s already playing politics.

SO MANY PEOPLE turn their hearts toward God on Sunday, but then on weekdays they will pass you by and won’t even give you a ride.

WE LIVE ON LA VISTA DRIVE in Evans. For the last week somebody has been taking the mail out of our mail boxes and throwing it in the bushes. We have watched, but we haven’t seen anybody yet.

RANT FOR YOU PARENTS who have kids graduating. You need to teach them how to send out thank-you cards when people send them money in the mail.

I WANT TO RECOMMEND the veterans memorial to all the veterans living in Blythe. It is beautiful.

THANK YOU, GLENN Hills and Westside ROTC, for laying flags at the graves of the veterans at Westover cemetery.

LAST WEEK, INSTEAD of riding in the motorcade from the White House to the Department of the Interior building, Obama chose to walk. As he was leaving the White House grounds, he said, “The bear is loose!” I wonder how many of his Secret Service guards had to stifle a laugh when he said this?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/31/14 - 04:18 pm
Bear Is Loose

Isn't the bear the symbol of the old Soviet Union?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/31/14 - 05:33 pm
Holiday Trash Pickup

Last weekend (Memorial Day weekend) I spent a good deal of time on a ladder with my trusty pruning saw removing dead limbs and also removing green limbs where things were too crowded or were scraping my roof. I amassed a great deal of tree trimming debris.

During the week I cut the limbs into 4-foot lengths and generally tidied up. Then on Thursday afternoon I fashioned two fairly large piles of tree trimmings on the curbside, because my trash pickup day is Friday. I knew the amount of debris was pretty large, and I hoped they would get it all on Friday, but if they only got half it would be okay, as the rest could wait another week.

When by late afternoon on Friday there was no pickup of household garbage, waste for recycling, or tree trimmings, I realized that the holiday had set things back by a day.

On Saturday, the recycling truck came by around 11:00 a.m. Then the garbage truck came by around 1:00 p.m. When 5:00 rolled by, I thought there would be no yard waste pick-up. Lo and behold, the truck rolled up about 6:15, and they picked up both piles. I went outside and thanked the workers as they cleaned it up.

- - - - - - - -

Then I got to thinking. If they are going to pick up trash on Saturdays on weeks when there is a holiday, which is better:

a. pick up the trash on the holiday, or

b. pick up the trash on Saturday?

Both options would involve the use of overtime. Maybe the city could poll the trash pickup operators and see whether they'd prefer to work the holiday and have Saturday off. Any comments?

stuaby
stuaby 05/31/14 - 07:34 pm
@ Rant/Raver #1: OK. Pick

@ Rant/Raver #1:

OK. Pick them up as you see them, Miss. Why wait on someone else if it bothers you?

stuaby
stuaby 05/31/14 - 07:39 pm
@ Rant/Raver #2: I agree. ♪

@ Rant/Raver #2:

I agree. ♪ Must be nice ♪♫... as the song goes.

Apparently, being a veteran is like entering your name in a raffle. Some win. Most lose.

Just look at the score by the guy with the yellow corvette who served 4 yrs and never saw combat.

stuaby
stuaby 05/31/14 - 07:47 pm
Mercy! These rants and

Mercy! These rants and raves! Are these the best that are submitted?

I used to submit rants. I would sit there and think and think and think about something significant to say about the news of the day. Clean rants with no personal attacks. About 1 in 20 were posted. While this was going on, rants like numbers 3, 8 and 9 above got posted routinely.

I stopped submitting them.

stuaby
stuaby 05/31/14 - 07:56 pm
The knee-jerk reactions to

The knee-jerk reactions to anything having to do with race has gotten so far out of hand that it's ridiculous and insane.

You can't even talk ACADEMICALLY about minstrels who wore blackface without losing your job!

This was a history lesson, explaining how things used to be, and the guy lost his job over it.

This is an insane nation, at this point.

I'm glad that some of you people posting here are happy with the way things (like this) are going in this country.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/31/14 - 08:25 pm
Yes stuaby

PC has and is running amok. One of my favorite actors is Morgan Freeman, and I recall the flak he caught from the hand wringers over his role in Driving Miss Daisy. Instead of recognizing that Hoke was a sharp guy who figured out how to get by in a difficult time; not to mention the heart tugging part of his developing friendship with an old jewish woman; they wanted to castigate Freeman for accepting the role of a shuffling house negro.
I saw it as a story of triumph.

stuaby
stuaby 05/31/14 - 09:08 pm
itsanotherday1, it's just

itsanotherday1, it's just nuts. All of it. Freeman was fantastic in Driving Miss Daisy, but because he played the part of a trustworthy, hired negro during a time that a black man was lucky to have to job like this, it's no good, according to the race lords.

My skin is just about a half-shade darker than Will Smith's, and _Huckleberry Finn_ is one of my favorite books from my formative years. Yet, let the race lords tell it, it might as well have been written by Adolph Hitler or the Ku Klux Klan.

At some point, something has to happen to straighten all this out...

stuaby
stuaby 05/31/14 - 09:15 pm
"As for My people, children

"As for My people, children are their oppressors, And women rule over them. O My people! Those who lead you cause you to err..."
Isaiah 3:12
(New King James Version)

corgimom
corgimom 05/31/14 - 09:40 pm
stuaby, the signs belong to

stuaby, the signs belong to the candidate, and removing them is theft.

The only signs that somebody can legally remove are the ones on their own property.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/31/14 - 10:04 pm
Right of Way

If the signs are in the road right of way, then technically they are litter, and anyone may pick them up and dispose of them properly.

Darby
Darby 05/31/14 - 11:17 pm
"RANT FOR YOU PARENTS who have kids graduating.

You need to teach them how to send out thank-you cards when people send them money in the mail."

Now THAT ranter sounds just like my wife!

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/01/14 - 06:51 am
I still like the idea of a political bonfire rally.

To attend, bring 5 signs for Free attendance or $5
plus with ALL candidates kicking in some refreshment $$$$.

Then have a Big Bonfire, with 2 ARC FD pumpers nearby to be safe.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/01/14 - 07:00 am
IF they the candidate retain ownership

Then start fining them $100 a pop per sign for littering.

But, try getting any DA anywhere to enforce that.

BTW: Speaking of the Court System.
Whatever happen to the Cracker Barrel Lawyer and the $8,000 Diamond Ring case?

Has it ever come up yet, or is this a new form of Professional Courtesy?

corgimom
corgimom 06/01/14 - 07:03 am
No, LL, they are still the

No, LL, they are still the candidate's property. If they are on the right-of-way then whoever owns the right-of-way has to remove them.

corgimom
corgimom 06/01/14 - 07:04 am
If somebody is old enough and

If somebody is old enough and smart enough to graduate from a school, they are old enough and smart enough to write their own thank you note.

Just don't give them any more money. If asked, say, "I sent money for his graduation, he never said thank you, so I know that he didn't like that gift- and so I won't do that again."

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/01/14 - 07:32 am
Campaign Signs

I don't believe a policeman would arrest anyone for removing campaign signs, nor would a jury convict if the case somehow made it to court. Heck, why would the owner, the candidate, complain about the removal?

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 06/01/14 - 07:34 am
Last Rant

They are probably not as immature as the writer is.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/01/14 - 07:35 am
That's The Devil Walking Down The Road

About praising God on Sundays and not giving rides on weekdays. I can't be sure that's not the devil walking down the road. I'm sure God understands me not giving rides.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/01/14 - 07:58 am
Gogick's Article?

What happened to Gogick's from the archives article? It says not found when clicked.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/01/14 - 08:03 am
Amen RM

There was a time that I would offer a ride, but that was 40 years ago. Not on a bet these days.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/01/14 - 08:12 am
Rock and a Hard Spot

Recently President Obama took a trip to Afghanistan to be quietly out of the USA on Memorial Day.

We are now told to understand his trip resulted in the release of a US POW held by the Taliban forces.

We are told President Obama has been accused of violating U.S. laws by approving a prisoner exchange of five Guantanamo detainees for the release of America's only prisoner of war,
Bowe Bergdahl.

A US solider who has been held for five years by the Taliban.

BUT here lies the conflict.
While I am happy the POW has been returned.
In the process the Taliban men being freed have 'the blood of Americans on their hands'. It turns out these five Afghans are among the most senior members of the Taliban being held at Club GITMO, and included one who had direct ties to Osama bin Laden.

So while I am happy, in fact overjoyed, to get the POW home,
I am left wondering what the freed Taliban will do later own.

Plus now the USA Administration has established policy of hostage exchanges with Terrorists...

So for whatever the reasons, whether it be Political or Olive Branch for the exchange, there will be mixed feelings.

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/01/14 - 08:20 am
The Story also has another side issue

Was Taliban POW a deserter?

It seems the Soldier 'sent emails that he was planning to leave his post after becoming disillusioned with the war.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/01/14 - 08:17 am
NocNoc please tell me that

NocNoc please tell me that isn't true. Because if it is how come i haven't heard a thing about it. And aren't people raising hell. I'd let the soldier die-he is a soldier and knows the possibilities and if me I would gladly die rather than release the enemy. Sorry to say these terrorist are responsible for lots of deaths and if I was released I would probably kill myself once I discovered they exchanged my life for these murderers who had killed my brethren soldiers. Funny how Obama give no significance to lives of the unborn but is willing to sacrifice national security for the life of this one soldier. Soldiers are expendable-that is war.

KSL
KSL 06/01/14 - 08:39 am
Rest assured, whatever is

Rest assured, whatever is good for America, Obama is going to do the opposite.

sawgrass
sawgrass 06/01/14 - 08:52 am
Corgimom

Your answer to Little Lamb makes no sense. You're saying that if the state owns the right of way, then it's the state's responsibility to clean up and remove the campaign signs? That is ridiculous.

corgimom
corgimom 06/01/14 - 10:17 am
Yes, sawgrass, that is true.

Yes, sawgrass, that is true.

And people HAVE been arrested for taking down candidate's signs.

Fining them is the best way to get them removed.

corgimom
corgimom 06/01/14 - 10:21 am
Bizkit- soldiers are

Bizkit- soldiers are expendable, but fetuses should be protected?

Now, THAT is an odd way of looking at things. But if that's how you feel, whatever.

Soldiers are people, they are human beings. Fetuses are not.

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 06/01/14 - 10:34 am
Campaign Signs

With the exception of the Mayor's race, there are quite a bit of run-offs still to come this month..

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/01/14 - 11:46 am
That's ignorant a fetus is a

That's ignorant a fetus is a human being it just isn't a legal person-big difference. But sometimes it is a legal person too. It is against the cell theory, evolution and all biology-the fetus doesn't magically transform from an inanimate blob to a human being at birth. Soldiers are expendable is a fact of the last 6000 years of recorded history.