Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

OH, MY GOODNESS, Alvin Mason, no arts with the special purpose local option sales tax money but funding a private college in Augusta. How sad are you. I’m still trying to figure how tax dollars can be used for a private college. That is why I’m worried about this tax vote. You won’t get a yes from here just because of the private college.

WHEN A COUNTRY’S news media start colluding with the government to lie to the American people to protect the president’s failed policy and lies, you have a country in peril of losing itself. Shame on the media’s continued lies and cover-up of what really happened at Benghazi, Libya.

THIS IS A RANT AGAINST the NBA. What happened to Donald Sterling’s right of freedom of speech in his own home? This is a blatant form of communism.

RANT TO POLICE officers who show up to the wrong address and kill family pets. If they show up at the worn address and we shoot their K9 dog, they charge us. When they show up at the wrong address and shoot our dogs, they felt threatened and nothing happens. That is injustice, and I am getting sick of this police injustice.

I AM A SENIOR CITIZEN and a great grandmother and when I go into a restaurant, none of my family are going to cry and cut up and disturb other people’s meals. It is ridiculous the way people let their children get up and run around in restaurants and scream and holler. I don’t blame that teenage girl for complaining. That woman had no right to throw anything at anyone. What she should have done is take that child out and calmed him down.

RANT FOR THE NEW golf cart law. There is a woman who drives up my road talking on a cellphone with a little baby in her lap and another one in the back seat. She is just looking to get her kids killed. Somebody needs to put a stop to this.

PEOPLE NEED TO remember when they are voting for mayor that some of the candidates have been in trouble for things that, if we had done, they would have put us under the jail.

A FAMILY OF FOUR will spend $2,000 a month to eat out. They charge you for everything they put on a sandwich, but they don’t deduct anything when they take something off. It is a rip-off.

RANT FOR THE WAY they did Donald Sterling. If he had been black and said that about whites, nothing would have been done about it.

A RAVE FOR THE NAACP of the Los Angeles chapter with this situation with the Clippers owner making those comments. I see that for once they are going to return the donations made by Sterling. It must be a serious situation. It is a nice gesture to return all the money. Once a gain a rave to the NAACP.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/05/14 - 06:02 pm
#4

I agree with you about pet killings; I think sometimes these guys are just too trigger happy. I'm sure there have been some justifiable instances where a vicious dog posed a serious threat, but all in all, the instances I've read and heard about don't all seem to be aboveboard.

It is not like they don't have pepper spray, batons, and other non-lethal forms to fend them off. Gee whiz, pepper spray is generally effective for an 800lb bear.....

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/05/14 - 06:43 pm
Alvin Mason Didn't Say That

Alvin Mason didn't say he believed the SPLOST should include Paine. He is against the SPLOST, period. He said it's not legal to fund private entities. He didn't leave Paine out of the mix. He also said it doesn't mean he's against the arts...or Paine, but only using the SPLOST in what most believe an improper manner.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/05/14 - 06:46 pm
Strolling Down Laney Walker Blvd

Sylvia’s column Sunday focused on the huge amount spent on the Laney Walker initiative and that they now want a $2.5 million bridge loan. Let’s go over what has happened. Keep in mind, the project will be paid $750,000 a year for 50 years. Let me help you here. That’s $37.5 MILLION. The project spent $8 million in its first three years. They pay $45,000 a MONTH for “project management.” They pay $6,000 a month to SOMEBODY to create favorable media attention for the area.

To put it bluntly, this thing has turned into a rip-off of monumental, historic proportions. We understand it was created as described in a Commission meeting as a pay-off for the TEE Center, but isn’t it time to stop the insanity?

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 05/05/14 - 07:08 pm
RM... sounds like countyman

RM... sounds like countyman was knocking back some stacks.... (theory only)

stuaby
stuaby 05/05/14 - 08:26 pm
"WHEN A COUNTRY’S news media

"WHEN A COUNTRY’S news media start colluding with the government to lie...you have a country in peril of losing itself."

I think you can go ahead and start speaking past tense--as in "lost", rather than "losing" Too many people are happy with the ideology of the Democrat/leftist-media syndicate.

The only thing that remains to be seen is how it all plays out, how long it will take and how ugly it will get.

harley_52
harley_52 05/05/14 - 08:41 pm
"....but isn’t it time to stop the insanity?"

Perhaps it is.

Have you discussed it with your Commissioner?

harley_52
harley_52 05/05/14 - 08:47 pm
"The only thing that remains to be seen....

....is how it all plays out, how long it will take and how ugly it will get."

You're probably right, but in the words of Sir Winston Churchill...."Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/05/14 - 08:54 pm
I Use Butterman's Address

Harley, since Butterman lives in Richmond Cty I thought it would be okay with you if I commented about Sylvia's column on the Laney Walker debacle.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/05/14 - 09:01 pm
Are they JOKING!!!!!!!

This "good, sweet kid" goes into a Waffle House with a gun and an accomplice, and robs it. An armed patron with a cwp shoots him dead and the family blames the patron.... Said "he was not in any danger, the robber was leaving".

harley_52
harley_52 05/05/14 - 09:05 pm
Butterman Lives In Richmond County?

How convenient.

Of course you should comment about the "Laney Walker debacle." But since it doesn't involve any of your taxes, and since you are unable to influence the situation with your vote, maybe it would be more effective if Butterman were to pick up the standard. I mean as someone who could actually do something, rather than just whine.

gargoyle
gargoyle 05/05/14 - 09:19 pm
These are the news reports

These are the news reports not picked up by national news. It isn't hard to see the agenda based reporting by sources such as the Associated press.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/05/14 - 09:35 pm
I guess Sylvia is just whining

I guess Sylvia is just whining, too, since she lives in McDuffie County. I hope The Chronicle doesn't make us move to the county we write about like they did Steve Crawford. I mean that could get out of hand and I could end up back in Ludowici much as I write about it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/05/14 - 09:26 pm
Gage, I Doubt It

Gage, I doubt Countyman gets into things like that. He's too vocal.

harley_52
harley_52 05/05/14 - 09:34 pm
"I guess Sylvia is just whining, too....

....since she lives in McDuffie County."

Gee, I wouldn't say that. She's reporting. Researching the facts, then reporting for the Chronicle. It's her job.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/05/14 - 09:42 pm
Not Exactly Reporting

Sylvia is not exactly reporting with a column. It's a combination of reporting, opinion and humor. I'm commenting. That's my job.

The Sunday piece Grady Abrams wrote addressed the issue of living in other counties and writing about Richmond County. He lives in Columbia County, but still feels obligated to write about Richmond County he said. He probably knows Richmond County politics from the black perspective as well as anyone.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 05/05/14 - 09:44 pm
It seems countyman may have a

It seems countyman may have a case of CYA-ngitis

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/05/14 - 10:22 pm
Here lately I wonder if I am doing the right thing

moving to the North GA mountains?

Belize is looking better and more stable everyday.
English is the OFFICIAL Language there also.

Income Tax has a flat rate of 25% that is applicable to both individuals and companies.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/05/14 - 10:23 pm
SPLOST 7 Engineering Section $50M "To be Determined"

Does anyone DOWNTOWN want to narrow the Scope of USE and WHERE this $50 Million Dollar slush fund will be spent?

By NOT spelling it out in the SPLOST, it can be used anywhere and anyway the POLITICIANS SEE FIT.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/06/14 - 12:27 am
Back To Laney Walker

What role do I view myself as fulfilling? I don't know. What role does anyone feel like they are filling by commenting? This whole internet thing of commenters in online newspapers is so new, no one knows exactly how to take it. I GUESS I have goals to be appreciated in some humanistic sort of way. I don't think God is evaluating my posts...unless Harley is God...and then I'm in trouble :).

I comment on news, columns and editorials in the Chronicle, no matter what area it is about or who. I try to use humor and be insightful, but I'm dang sure not always successful and not able to make SOME people smile and not take things too seriously.

By the way, I seriously told you 4 people use the Riverman1 name for various subjects. You don't believe that, but you believe I'm Butter. Heh. Go figure. You puzzle me thinking I'm Butter. So how do you feel about the Laney Walker fiasco, to get back on subject?

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/06/14 - 12:29 am
Admire Sylvia and Grady

"Anyway, you're comparing yourself to Sylvia Cooper and Grady Adams now?"

Well, I certainly admire both greatly and would do well if I could emulate either in even the smallest way. If you used the words of Winston Churchill I wouldn't think you were comparing yourself to him.

corgimom
corgimom 05/06/14 - 01:04 am
Gargoyle, there are 305

Gargoyle, there are 305 million people in the US. The Associated Press has only a limited space to fill, and has to choose their stories carefully and based on broad topics that interest many.

And if that's your idea of an "agenda", well, have at it.

corgimom
corgimom 05/06/14 - 01:07 am
Oh, now the media is

Oh, now the media is conspiring with the White House on coverups and lies?

This has me rolling, all we need now is Hillary to go on tv and announce it as a vast right-wing conspiracy.

Until this happened, I bet you that virtually no one had ever heard of Benghazi and even now, still couldn't find it with a map and a flashlight.

bubbasauce
20641
bubbasauce 05/06/14 - 01:55 am
Now we know what news you

Now we know what news you watch Corgimom, would it be CNN or CNBC? Why don't you try watching something that gives you some truth in the news, like Fox news. This is the only channel that has not been corrupted by the lap dog media that is everywhere now!

iaaffg
iaaffg 05/06/14 - 05:08 am
the dog is out again. i bet

the dog is out again. i bet that dog howls the 'imagine' song by that idiot lennon every time it can.

Kos
Kos 05/06/14 - 06:02 am
Sheriff's Deputy who smiled

Sheriff's Deputy who smiled while choking a black student unconscious is fired. Sheriff's Deouty Frank Phillips,47, who was recorded choking a college student into unconconsciousness, and then hitting him around his head,while several other officers were cuffing him , has been fired.....Police had stated the student was resisting arrest, but the video, taken be a local freelance photographer/ journalist shows he was not resisting at all and that the Deputy had a grin on his face as he deliberately applied a choke that cut off blood to the student's brain, a potentially VERY dangerous and sometimes fatal means of assault. I'm glad this man is no longer a police officer, but I am waiting for criminal charges which do not seem forth coming.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/06/14 - 06:44 am
QUESTION - related to Campus Shooting

A on Friday, Feb. 28, 2014 GRU had 30 days to respond to a Civil rights Lawsuit over Officer Martins lying on the stand and other abuse issues.

WELL
30 days has long passed what was the response ?
I seemed to have missed any follow up article.

Including the RCSO/GBI one on the more recent shooting incident he was involved in.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/06/14 - 09:23 am
As far as collecting NEWS & Information

According to SUN TzU (as applied to the 21 century)
All sides of the political spectrum should be monitored to know all political camps plans and opinions.

So yes I tour various media sites ranging from Far Right to Far
Left.

GOD help us if either end gets control.

BTW:
A few years ago I started noticing Overseas NEWS sources were better at providing facts that for whatever reason failed to get into the USA NEWS while the Media Frenzy Battle was at it height. So I now regularly read online versions out of England and Germany.

Example:
The Daily Mail & Daily Mirror (London England) about 4,000 miles away, had better factual info on the FedX Shooting than local papers, I have to wonder why? In this example the America readers were treated to misinformation galore: multiple weapons, hundreds rounds of Ammo and Assault rifles, Dressed like RAMBO, caring a BIG RAMBO Knife, scores dead and wounded, multiple shooters and fire bombs and more pistols.

The London papers correctly said 1 shotgun, 1 person and were already releasing the shooters background data.

So yes when Overseas papers 4,000+ miles away, have better factual info than local papers, we should all wonder why?

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/06/14 - 08:00 am
Hello whiners

This place would be dead without ya...keep on keeping oooon!

Btw, I don't live in Fulton--DeKalb-or many other counties BUT I do pay taxes in 4 counties...sooo I'm letting it rip & don't care what 'others" like about that.

Noc, I think the N Ga mountains would be a great place to settle...the water is clean---grows nice veggies---very little crime--taxes are low....great fishing too.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/06/14 - 08:13 am
Wow while Sterling's freedom

Wow while Sterling's freedom of speech wasn't compromised but we see Rutgers -a state govt school receiving federal funds-is denying Condy Rice her right to free speech. The faculty-state employees-were a part of the protest to deny her free speech. The DOJ needs to investigate and all their federal support withdrawn-the govt can't deny free speech. The professors were not acting as citizens but representing faculty of the school-a govt entity.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/06/14 - 08:23 am
corgi, please

I find it hard to believe that YOU don't see a coverup about Benghazi....it had NOTHING to do with a stupid video...NOTHING..

If they came out & admitted that, the whole thing would evaporate.

'Go Downtown' initiative gets mixed reviews

The "Go Downtown" initiative aims to foster a downtown environment that welcomes the college community and creates business for merchants. The event is held every third Thursday of the month ...