Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

Hey everybody, I've been so busy after the Masters that I let our daily photos lapse. Nocnoc just sent in this one taken about a month ago of a vertical cloud that looked like a Funnel cloud descending on Downtown Augusta. It was taken from the parking lot  of Harvest table Buffet near Olive Rd. looking North towards downtown.
Thanks nocnoc for sending it in. If anyone else wants a photo posted here, Send me as large a version as you can to sean.moores@augustachronicle.com. You can also email me for any problems, concerns or suggestions as well. Have a good day everybody. - Sean  nocnoc
nocnoc
Hey everybody, I've been so busy after the Masters that I let our daily photos lapse. Nocnoc just sent in this one taken about a month ago of a vertical cloud that looked like a Funnel cloud descending on Downtown Augusta. It was taken from the parking lot of Harvest table Buffet near Olive Rd. looking North towards downtown. Thanks nocnoc for sending it in. If anyone else wants a photo posted here, Send me as large a version as you can to sean.moores@augustachronicle.com. You can also email me for any problems, concerns or suggestions as well. Have a good day everybody. - Sean

NONE OF THE Richmond County commissioners showed up when Gov. Deal was here. What an embarrassment. Rich­mond County commissioners have been an embarrassment for some time now, and this was just the cherry on top of the sundae. They all need to go. Please get rid of these people.

THIS BUSINESS WITH Ster­ling is disgusting. He said something in private. Chris­tians aren’t perfect. How about Jesse Jackson saying Hymie Town? He never got in trouble for that. It is a disgrace. I can’t even watch the news any more.

THIS IS A HUGE RANT for District 1 Commissioner Bill Fennoy. You are just another deer with his headlights out.

SPLOST DOES nothing for south Augusta. We need work done on Highway 25. We need Windsor Spring Road worked on. We need a lot of things, but all they want to do is finish downtown where only 105 of the population lives. 80 percent of the population lives in south Augusta, and we need SPLOST. Oh yeah, Mr. Roundtree probably wants another $80,000 patrol car.

IF A CAR IS UNLOCKED and it doesn’t belong to you and you get into that car, it is considered breaking and entering. Just like if a burglar walks into an unlocked door, that is breaking and entering. That is the law in Georgia.

I HAVE BEEN RETIRED for a year and a half from a job that I worked for 35 years. And I’m 69 years old. I can’t get a job around here anywhere. You put in an application and you have to go online or they don’t want to talk to you. People in their 60s and 70s still need a little income. It is getting ridiculous.

IT’S NICE TO HAVE a National Day of Prayer, but you don’t have to wait for that. You are supposed to stay with a prayerful attitude without ceasing.

I DON’T AGREE WITH the words Mr. Sterling used, but he has the right under the Constitution to say them. Everybody is going crazy about it. You hear people in south Au­gus­ta saying worse than that and no one says a word.

A GRU OFFICIAL SAID on the radio that over 40 percent of medical training is now being done outside of Augusta and proudly stated that the percentage is going to increase. Richmond and Columbia counties, vote out Deal or MCG will be leaving Augusta. That has been the plan since Azziz came.

happychimer
19347
happychimer 05/04/14 - 07:03 pm
Sterling has the right to say

Sterling has the right to say what he wants to say, but he should be prepared to suffer the consequences. He is owner of a professional basketball team. Nobody wants to hear such hate except people of Sterling's kind.

harley_52
harley_52 05/04/14 - 07:55 pm
"I DON’T AGREE WITH the words Mr. Sterling used....

....but he has the right under the Constitution to say them."

Two separate issues. First, the NBA. He signed some sort of contractual agreement with the NBA when he bought the team. He'll have to abide by the contract's requirements. If he violated it, he'll pay the price. I don't know the particulars, but the lawyers will fight it out.

Second, the public. For that, I totally agree with your sentiment. He said ugly things. What he said might be reprehensible, but it is NOT illegal. Beyond that, most of us have said things in private we would not want made public at one time or another. His words were private and the woman involved both baited his comments and illegally recorded them.

The reaction of many people has been bewildering. Hypocritical. Holier than thou. Disingenuous. All of those things. Lots of people say ugly things every day. It looks to me that many people have seized upon this situation to prove how pure and non-racist THEY are. The more they attack him, the better they make themselves feel. A badge of honor, so to speak.

Troubling, for sure.....

dade30906
dade30906 05/04/14 - 08:43 pm
Will the next player or coach

Will the next player or coach who utters the n - word on the court be suspended? It would be consistent with the NFL's potential ban of the n - word. What if he says it elsewhere in public or during a private phone conversation? For now, who cares? Sterling publicly proclaimed his racist and misogynistic opinions to anyone with working ears. His methods of managing the team oozed racial bias. For the purposes of the NBA and Sterling's future as an owner, he effectively forfeited his privacy on this matter years ago , however , former commissioner of the NBA David Stern failed to expose Sterling's racist tunes. Why not also examine the beliefs that informed Sterling's comments and, more important, how they became institutionalized in the Clippers organization and Sterling's other businesses? The former commissioner (David Stern) enabled Sterling by allowing a plantation mentality.

harley_52
harley_52 05/04/14 - 08:59 pm
Is The "N" Word...

...the only word that invokes the wrath of hell upon any WHITE person who dares utter it, even in the heat of anger? Is is ONLY white people who are banned from using it? Is it possible for people of other races to say equally repugnant words? Who decides these things? Who decides how, when, and upon whom these horrors are heaped?

How many of us has NEVER used an offensive word, even the "N" word in some context, at some time?

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/04/14 - 09:05 pm
Well stated Harley!

I agree with HC too, except for the hate part. If the man hated black people, the last thing he would be doing is owning a business comprised primarily of black people. I would bet that like most who have a bias, it is about the predominant culture, and not the color.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/04/14 - 09:11 pm
Retired person

I understand your pain. I've had some offers, but nothing that interested me. The things I have been interested in however, not even a "sorry but we filled it" note. It really bugs me because I am well qualified and only 59. I need to do something challenging, but no one is interested.

harley_52
harley_52 05/04/14 - 09:50 pm
"I would bet that like most who have a bias....

....it is about the predominant culture, and not the color."

Life is full of bias. We're all biased in lots of ways. It's bias that gets us through life. Ford, or Chevy. Michelob, or Coors. Marlboro, or Camel. Brick, or wood. Boy, or girl. White, or black. Catholic, or Jewish. Augusta, or Columbia County. Catfish, or lobster.

Laws exist to keep us from discriminating against others in certain aspects of life on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, age, and maybe other things I'm forgetting. Laws, however, cannot regulate biased thoughts, or even biased words amongst private citizens in private lives unless they violate the laws. Using the "N" word in a private conversation is NOT illegal.

So why this deluge of emotionalism and anger because some old white dude expressed his personal bias against blac...er, I mean African Americans? Why not in other circumstances? Why not for using other words?

JRC2024
JRC2024 05/04/14 - 10:00 pm
Harley, you know what I do.

Harley, you know what I do. Just the other day I was at a black customers home and she was complaining about living under a white President all her life and she was now happy that she was living with a black President. She was saying the boy this and the boy that. I told her to listen to what she was saying and she told me she could say it but I couldn't. We all say things we shouldn't and she is one of them that does but thinks it is alright because she is black. I don't put much stock in what people say in private

corgimom
corgimom 05/04/14 - 10:11 pm
How racist can you be when

Personally, I don't blame the man for flipping out when he saw her with Magic Johnson, most men would not want their girlfriends hanging out with somebody of the opposite sex who has AIDS. For obvious reasons.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 05/04/14 - 11:52 pm
@corigmom "How racist can you

@corigmom
"How racist can you be when you are a white man and you voluntarily enter into a romantic relationship with a black woman, you own a business where the majority of your employees are black, and a huge portion of your customers are black?"

I don't think you are serious, but I will give this a stab. There are many people who can divorce themselves from a person's humanity and see them as objects that can yield a profit. Slave owners did not recognize the humanity of slaves, but owned them because of the profit they benefitted from the free labor.

There was a certain Senator from the great state of South Carolina who built a career on his stand for segregation, all the while knowing he had fathered a daughter by a Black woman who worked for his family. He visited her, and reportedly gave money toward her support while she was in college. All the while doing everything he could politically to keep Blacks and Whites separate.

I don't know what was in Sen. Thurmond's "heart" but it is clear where his "hard" was.

For the record, it is my understanding that Magic Johnson, thanks to some great healthcare, is HIV Positive. He does not have full blown AIDS.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 05/05/14 - 12:07 am
Benghazi!

Last week one poster commented that other than Benghazi, never had a US ambassador been killed while in service.

NOT TRUE.

"How many U.S. Ambassadors have been killed by militants?

Since World War II, the following U.S. Ambassadors have been killed by militants:

John Gordon Mein, Ambassador to Guatemala, August 28, 1968. Mein was killed by a gunman in Guatemala City.

Cleo A. Noel, Jr., Ambassador to Sudan, March 1, 1973. Noel was taken hostage in Khartoum and killed by his kidnappers.

Rodger P. Davies, Ambassador to Cyprus, August 19, 1974. Davies was shot during a demonstration at the Embassy in Nicosia.

Francis E. Meloy, Jr., Ambassador to Lebanon, June 16, 1976. Meloy was killed by a gunman in Beruit.

Adolph Dubs, Ambassador to Afghanistan, February 14, 1979. Dubs was captured in Kabul and was killed during the rescue attempt.

J. Christopher Stevens, Ambassador to Libya, September 11, 2012. Stevens was killed in an attack on the Mission in Benghazi."
(Source:www.history.state.gov)

These attacks occurred under both Democrat and Republican presidents.

The American Foreign Service Association maintains a list of foreign service officers killed in the line of duty.

iaaffg
iaaffg 05/05/14 - 04:26 am
inquiring minds would like to

inquiring minds would like to know why did the mooching gold digger stay with the rich white basketball team owner if he's such a racist and his comments were so disturbing to her? i guess the prospect of going out and actually making a living on her own was perhaps a bit more daunting than just playing kissy-face with a wrinkled old geezer with deep, deep, deep pockets who apparently met her every little gold-digging whim. apparently the moocher was happy playing status quo until the actual WIFE of the rich old geezer decided to take her to court, then suddenly his 'racist' words became a huge issue and her crappy little trump card. hope the rich old geezer takes her to court for violating his privacy but probably not, he's probably still only thinking with the wrong head. if this man is going to be persecuted for something he said in private, on a recording for which he was unaware and gave no permission, we are all living on a very slippery slope indeed. it is this aspect of the whole thing that should be worrying us, not the words he used.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/05/14 - 06:25 am
Benghazi

Truth, the commenter's mistake about past deaths is immaterial to the issues surrounding Benghazi; unless of course, there was a coverup of the incompetence leading up to the deaths.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/05/14 - 06:29 am
GA Burglary LAW

While Judges treat Forced Entry vs Non-forced much differently.
The Old OCGA 16-7-1 made no provision for that. THE OLD LAW ON BURGLARY – The crime of burglary currently consisted of simply one statute that makes it a crime to enter the dwelling house of another with the intent to commit a theft of felony within.

However the GA. Burglary law was rewritten this year.
As I have read the new law slated to take affect this year.
There will be two degrees of burglary.

1st Degree burglary will apply to a dwelling house or any other location used as a dwelling of a person. (similar to the current burglary law). The punishment provision will be 1-20 years in prison.

2nd Degree burglary will apply to a building, structure, vehicle, watercraft and does not apply to a dwelling inhabited by people. The punishment provision here will be reduced to 1-5 years.

WHEN THE CHANGE IS ENACTED
then Georgia Law will now separate Building Burglaries from Car Burglaries and penalties will differ greatly.

So expect more car burglaries .

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/05/14 - 06:51 am
Truthmatter - Thanks for the facts

Good facts, Thanks for digging them up.

1x Lyndon B. Johnson President of the United States in 1968
1x Richard Nixon President of the United States in 1973
2x Gerald Ford President of the United States in 08-19-1974 & 1976
1x Jimmy Carter President of the United States in 1979
1x Barack Obama President of the United States in 2012

We have a Tie 3/3.

But in all fairness out of these listed
Only President Barack Obama's administration went with a COVER UP.

Only President Barack Obama's administration hid emails and buried documents and fabricated a bogus reason for what appears for re-election reasons.

It appears we now have a Democrat equal to President Nixon.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/05/14 - 07:14 am
Can anyone be too white?

I once had a black woman tell me that I was too white...now, if I had said she was too black all H**8 would've busted out..heh, I am too light & if I keep having vacations from H*** like I just had I won't ever get some tan ...
BTW...what is the "perfect" color?

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/05/14 - 07:20 am
The coverup is the freaking problem..

Why is that so hard to understand....dang....if S Rice had said we had a terror attack & our men were killed in the embassy, the whole thing would have blown over ...BUT NO, that is NOT what happened.....changing history to win an election is what happened.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/05/14 - 07:23 am
To this

"SPLOST DOES nothing for south Augusta. We need work done on Highway 25. We need Windsor Spring Road worked on. We need a lot of things, but all they want to do is finish downtown"

Take your fanny downtown & put signs on your car saying that....call the commish everyday & have all your friends do the same...you have been neglected for a long time & if you don't change your tactics, it will get worse.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/05/14 - 07:37 am
cherry on top of the sundae.

You will see the cherry when the next splost money is spent....you will be saying.."What the he** just happened""

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/05/14 - 07:38 am
Retirement Blues

Listening to you guys, it reinforces my belief that you should keep working your job until you are dang sure you don't want to work at anything anymore anywhere.

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/05/14 - 07:39 am
Bill Kirby

Rave to Mr. Kirby's latest video. Interesting, as they always are.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/05/14 - 07:49 am
Haha

I see the "cool" guys have arrived..:)

I want to be positive but lately it is so hard to do....just reading the dang news puts a damper on my day...private conversations....race race race....shooting in school & work places....has it always been this bad...or is it we have CONSTANT 24 hours a day news....it stinks.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/05/14 - 07:53 am
Hey, Cool Lady

Harley explains the Sterling episode well. My feelings, too.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/05/14 - 07:58 am
yep, harley nailed it! :)

I'll take chevy--brick--boy---lobster--catholic....make my beer a bud light though!

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/05/14 - 07:59 am
seenit

I think it always been this bad. Just 24/7 news cycle exposes it more.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/05/14 - 08:10 am
Now Dems are balking to not

Now Dems are balking to not participate with Congressional Hearings on Benghazi, which after they spent all that money on the Plame affair which they knew was a hoax they have no credibility. I think if they do they should be charged with obstruction of justice and aiding in the cover up. Wow maybe we can get Obama for this and a bunch of Dems and news media that are complicit in this cover up of sacrificing the Benghazi embassy and its people for political expediency. Course Plame did make millions for her book about this ruse.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/05/14 - 08:19 am
Restricting the N word should

Restricting the N word should be a breach of our constitutional right to free speech-whether it is govt suppression or societal suppression you are still suppressing freedom-what next burning books that have "racist" words. Course I guess we do have the freedom to burn books like the bible or koran, us flags, Huck Finn, effigies of politicians, etc. I think we need to burn effigies of Sterling, maybe burn a cross in front of his house. Then next we will hit Shaq's house because of his discriminatory comments toward a handicapped fellow with a genetic disorder. We have got to ban Shaq from basketball and fine him 2.5 million-otherwise we just look foolish. We have to stand consolidated we will not tolerate discrimination no matter the ethnicity.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 05/05/14 - 08:18 am
iaaffg @ 5:26 AM

"if this man is going to be persecuted for something he said in private, on a recording for which he was unaware and gave no permission, we are all living on a very slippery slope indeed. it is this aspect of the whole thing that should be worrying us, not the words he used"

As of the way things stand currently, the slippery slope has indeed become the rule, not the exception!!

justthefacts
justthefacts 05/05/14 - 08:21 am
Beer

Speaking of beer, stopped in to the new pub O'Donovan's Sat. night. The Guinness was great.

Bizkit
Bizkit 05/05/14 - 08:23 am
I don't think I've used the N

I don't think I've used the N bomb since the 80s-I got in an argument with my black friend and we started with the racial slurs. We laughed afterwords cause neither of us are racist and we were just angry and resorted to ad hominem. But now to make a statement about freedom I am going to adopt this word and use it flagrantly-why because I should have the freedom to say this silly word. I mean the word "God" offends people more and more, remember the Dems had to force it in their platform because it was voted down, so are we going to ban "God".