Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RAVE TO THE RECYCLING industry and Richmond County Sheriff’s Office. I helped a friend recycle some junk metal today. It is easier to get into Fort Knox than drop off recycling. My ID was checked three times and had to have my picture taken. Air-conditioning parts were banned. Good job!

MY CONCERN IS that schools do not have enough supervision. My child has had two major injuries that caused him to have to be seen in the emergency room. I am a concerned parent not for just my child but for the children in general. This is something that has to come to end soon before something even worse happens.

ONCE AGAIN, MICHAEL Ryan doesn’t bother to do his homework. Donald Sterling, who has donated to Democrats at times, is a registered Republican. What was that column you wrote about journalistic accuracy a few weeks back about? One thing is for sure – Ryan will repeat whatever he hears or reads, usually three days behind his primary source (Fox News, and rarely, if ever, checks the veracity of his opinions).

PLEASE DO SOMETHING about the panhandling downtown. We were in a Broad Street pizza place Sunday. A guy begs us for money. Then he sits down at the table behind us and starts eating the food left over from the party that had just left. Then he has the nerve to hold out a Styrofoam cup and ask us for beer. The staff made him leave, but that’s not the first encounter I have had and it’s quickly turning me off from going downtown.

RAVE TO GOV. DEAL for signing HB 826 today. This may surprise some people that have not paid closer attention to the Georgia legislative session this year, but come July, HB 826 goes into effect and decriminalizes (by the same exception cops and others have) campus carry in Georgia for those lawful citizens who have a Georgia Weapons Carry License.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK the nice gentleman who helped my husband Tuesday night at the Lady Antebellum Concert. He was having difficulty getting up the steps and you immediately came to his aid. God bless you and thank you so much.

HEY, AUGUSTA Commission, take $50 and buy or redo the Augusta seal on the front of your dais/desk. They show it on TV every time the media comes and it looks very ratty … or can you agree on that?

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/03/14 - 07:49 am
Let's Re-visit the Roving License Plate Readers

UPDATED TO CORRECT TYPO ISSUES

As some of yáll know I use to be heavy in IT Security.
So knowing the data collected every day on Average Joe and others has had me supporting EFF and others such legal groups since the day I left DOD / FED work in the Mid 1990's and over my short duration recalls in 2000-2002.

So far the parts of story had have been broken so far can be read here. http://www.wired.com/2014/05/license-plate-tracking/

It seems we have another mass intrusion into our daily privacy where companies have been collecting billions of records on where we drive. It is called the National Vehicle Location Service (NVLS). It boils down to the collected driving data of MILLIONS of drivers whereabouts all over the USA. By having Companies collect the data the Government is able to circumvent warrants and subpoena's by just purchasing the data from a 3rd party
(eg. Google, Ask, Yahoo, and 10,000 cookie trackers. we bump into everyday surfing the web.)

Remember? This is the tag tracking data we were was only to track stolen vehicles and Active crimes. So why is the data being collected and STORED since 2009? If the idea was as we were all told was to track down stolen vehicles and crimes in progress?

SIDE NOTE: Remember there was serious talk of placing Tag readers on the bridges leading to North Augusta and Aiken not too long ago.

ALSO
WHY SWEAR LAW ENFORCEMENT TO SECRECY?
A part of the agreement law enforcement must sign, which was uncovered recently, read as follows.

"You shall not create, publish, distribute, or permit any written, electronically transmitted or other form of publicity material that makes reference to LEARN or this Agreement without first submitting the material to LEARN-NVLS and receiving written consent from LEARN-NVLS."

(Still quoting)
"This prohibition is specifically intended to prohibit users from cooperating with any media outlet to bring attention to LEARN or LEARN-NVLS."

"Breach this provision may result in LEARN-NVLS immediately termination of this Agreement upon notice to you.

So Why the SWORN Secrecy to keep info from the Media/Press, the very people that inform the public?

==============
Again - My Apologies for updating my comment.
I had typo'd the EFF name which justifiability lead to CM and other remarks. An I thank them for pointing out the Typo's.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/02/14 - 07:54 pm
We recycled 50+ years of junk

After my Father-in-law past away early last year.
23 big dumpsters full and over a dozen trips to the scrape yards.

We made the mistake 1 time bringing in a 18 " piece of cooper pipe, weight maybe 1/2 lbs. You'd think we had robbed a banks. ID copied, paid buy check that took days to clear etc....

But then I remembered a Goshen Neighbor down the street from us that had his $3500 AC unit stolen while he slept for maybe the $50 worth metal.

An the Copper stolen out of 2 houses my Mother-in-laws owned last year.

YEP ID, document the sell all they want I support it.

corgimom
corgimom 05/02/14 - 08:09 pm
Oh, the Electronic Freedom

Oh, the Electronic Freedom Foundation? Now, THAT'S a credible source if ever I heard of one.

Honestly, how do all of you FIND these people?

corgimom
corgimom 05/02/14 - 08:11 pm
Oh, my bad, it's Electronic

Oh, my bad, it's Electronic FRONTIER Foundation.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/02/14 - 08:29 pm
Finding them is simple

Believing them is hard for some people that never have met them.
This NOT a group of Radicals, just a group dedicated to Privacy.
They uncover and have protected the public many times over the last 20 years that I know of.

Some the things they are working in the open now...

An thank them for proving DES & Triple DES was insecure. Their work lead to the use the Advanced Encryption Standard. Which is still used to date.

They also got a 4/4 star rating from Charity Navigator

BTW: For increased Privacy I use Tails 0.23 and OpenPGP myself.
Or Foxfire and Ghost. http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=08350

Airman
Airman 05/02/14 - 08:32 pm
Now Corgi seems to be the

Now Corgi seems to be the expert on source credibility What did you say your degree was in? You seem very knowledgeable on many subjects...sure you do

corgimom
corgimom 05/03/14 - 01:53 am
What I do know is that

What I do know is that SUPPOSEDLY the EFF has reprimanded Facebook, Google, etc for privacy violations- while TAKING CONTRIBUTIONS from them, and significant ones, at that.

You don't need a degree in anything to see the very glaring conflict of interest this poses, do you?

And it promotes itself as an international group, but then talks about how it is protecting the Constitution in cyberspace.

Well, the Constitution doesn't apply in other countries. So is it an international group, or not?

Because, Airman, nobody needs a degree in anything to research a company, and that's what I did. And you could, too.

iaaffg
iaaffg 05/03/14 - 05:21 am
who let the dog out?

who let the dog out?

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/03/14 - 06:23 am
Mom Wants More School Supervision

Kids play and sometimes get hurt. No need to call in the Gestapo teacher to “supervise.” Get up, brush off, learn something and get back in the game of growing up. Best to learn how to deal with hurt early on in life.

Riverman1
Riverman1 05/03/14 - 06:30 am
Columbia County Guardian ad Litem

"Give me a thousand or so dollars cash, I'll interview you at your house and talk to the judge about your custody case."

That sounds as if it would be illegal, doesn't it?

Airman
Airman 05/03/14 - 07:07 am
School injuries

Mine had their fair share. They are kids and they play hard and rough. I cant remember how many times I picked mine up at the nurses office and took them to the doctor/ER. I can also remember the poor teacher that was supervising this group at recess crying over my sons broken arm. Kids are going to be kids, they will mend, God made them that way. Like Riverman said get up and brush it off, it will make better adults and leaders of this world

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/03/14 - 07:54 am
In defense of corgimom

I typo'd my initial comment using "Electronic Freedom Foundation" as some of us older IT Hacks have come to nicknamed them and the several groups that feed data into EFF.org.

Internet Research in itself has become a Profession
Some use WebCrawler and few others like WebSpider all of which provide a lot more data.

BTW: Remember the Electronic Voting Machine Problems?
The EFF stepped in to protect those that uncovered the Electronic Voting Machine Problems and won. That were being sued by Diebold to cover up the problems and keep it from being discussed. Diebold at 1 point was conducting using the Lawsuits and the courts and ISP's to keep bloggers from sharing the problems uncovered.

So the EFF is a documented Citizen Watch Dog covering just not Privacy but also other Electronic issues.

nocnoc
nocnoc 05/03/14 - 08:04 am
Regarding the Judge in Columbia Co. that resigned.

now every such case he heard should be open to audit review.

Since He preyed on women and likely ruled in a few's favor for it.
It will be interesting to see how many X-husbands re-file.

Question:
Since this judge denied due process of law will he be charged with Civil Rights Violations which carry up to 40 years per violation?

Code of Conduct for GEORGIA Judges

Code of Conduct for US Judges

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/03/14 - 08:47 am
The Riverwalk couple

I'm very happy for this couple...if anyone ever deserved a good life, they do.
Congratulations on your wedding.♥

jimmymac
jimmymac 05/03/14 - 10:12 am
BEGGARS

My wife and I were approached by a pan handler while going into a pizza place on Broad St. He was extremely aggressive and it made me happy to have my concealed carry piece on me. I told him to go away because he's get nothing from me. A girl and guy from inside the place came and told him to leave. They apologized to us but it makes me unwilling to ever go there after dark.

Sweet son
Sweet son 05/03/14 - 01:41 pm
Love your comment on supervisionRiverman.

Like he said get up and get over it. I told my 5 year old gransdon yesterday to just get up and brush himself off when he fell of of his scooter.

Inept teachers don't supervise or teach!

happychimer
happychimer 05/03/14 - 08:41 pm
nocnoc the women who came

nocnoc the women who came forward said the incidents happened while the magistrate judge was guardian ad liden. The cases went before another judge,

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 07/13/14 - 12:28 am
guardian ad litem?

guardian ad litem?

2.1% inflation expected

ATLANTA -- Business executives in the Southeast see inflation a little higher than the Federal Reserve does, according to a survey released Friday.