Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IS IT JUST ME, Augusta? Anytime I see the words “Georgia Regents” or the initials “GRU” in the newspaper I immediately stop reading the article. And I feel sorry for the athletes having to wear that horrible name on their uniforms. I can just hear them having to explain what a Georgia Regent is to other teams. Horrible.

THANKS TO THE two young men who helped us try to capture our runaway dog Monday night at Brookfield Park on Mayo Road. We didn’t catch him, but you ran so hard (especially John of the Air Force.) You ran like the wind. God bless you both for your efforts for strangers.

I’LL VOTE IN THE Republican primary against Nathan Deal. If he wins, I’ll vote for the Democrat or independent in the general election. Deal is no friend to Richmond and Columbia counties.

I WANT TO THANK the people in the emergency room at Trinity Hospital on Easter Sunday. I took my mother there and she could hardly breathe at all. They took her right in and did a fine job on her. Even though she didn’t have insurance, they treated her very well. God bless you and thank you so much.

RANT TO ANY hourly worker who is against unions.

MR. MILLS, WHO wrote a letter to the editor, is absolutely incorrect. He doesn’t understand that Harry Reid and his son made a deal with China. This is the problem with America; they are asleep. They are not paying attention.

BILL LOCKET TALKS about his military experience and following the chain of command. How many times has he deviated from the chain of command in the Richmond County government in the Augusta Commission meetings?

RANT TO THE GOP bullies in Oklahoma. I think Attorney General Eric Holder should take whatever Secret Service necessary to protect him to Oklahoma and give his speech. I don’t think this country needs to be run by bullies of either party.

RAVE FOR GRU Cancer Center for having free screenings for people on Thursday. I missed it and hope they will have another free screening day soon. Please put it in the paper.

RANT FOR LOCAL newscasters, the newspaper and Richard Roundtree. How do you break into a car that is unlocked? People in Georgia are brain dead. I can’t wait to get transferred out of here.

unapologetik
unapologetik 04/29/14 - 03:01 pm
For the last rant...whether

For the last rant...whether it's unlocked or not. If you don't have permission and you enter a vehicle, it's considered breaking and entering. Hopefully your transfer will be swift since you have such a problem with GA.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/29/14 - 05:38 pm
Some State handed B&E different than entering an unlocked car

Auto Burglary by FORCED FORCE ENTRY
I believe is 1st degree (Forced) and carries a stiffer sentence.
5-20 2 slaps on the wrist and probation.

Actually there is a stiff jail times but they are usually not imposed by judges. (Unless its a Politicians or Judges house/vehicle)

The 2nd degree (unlocked) version carries 1-5 years.

Gage Creed
19407
Gage Creed 04/29/14 - 08:30 pm
Last ranter.... "Bless your

Last ranter.... "Bless your heart".... BuBye

Young Fred
Young Fred 04/30/14 - 02:59 am
Rave 2

..."Ran like the wind"..

Heck Ya!

Young Fred
Young Fred 04/30/14 - 03:07 am
Rant 3

I here ya! I'm voting, campaigning, hoping, praying, yearning, against Graham. But if he wins the republican nomination, I'll be his best buddy!

Young Fred
Young Fred 04/30/14 - 03:13 am
I have to wonder about -

anyone who would

"RANT TO ANY hourly worker who is against unions."

I have to ask - do you believe everything you're fed? - or - are you just against work?

iaaffg
iaaffg 04/30/14 - 05:07 am
ranter #5: i bet you probably

ranter #5: i bet you probably go around humming that asinine, lame-butt song 'imagine' by mr hypocrite john lennon all day long, don't you?

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/30/14 - 05:39 am
WHAT SPLOST MEANS TO AVERAGE JOE

Whether you are rich or poor, Live on Walton Way Hill or on East Boundary, or if you live out in the sticks on the South Side.

Here is what that 1cent mean to you and your family.

Over the course of 1 year if your family spends $1,000 a month
or yes even EBT, you'll end up short $120 a year if this SPLOST passes.

So pick any of the following or think of what you could have spend that $120 on instead:

1 week of Groceries
3 tanks of gas for your cars.
3 water bills
10 - 12 packs of a major beer brand.
1 spare tire for you car
1 doctor bill
10 movie tickets
10 boxes of baby diapers
10 cans of powdered baby formula
40 school lunches
12+ less Hamburgers & Fries and a soda lunches
2 pair of GOOD shoes
clothing
30 boxes of 22LR (50)
24 packs of cigarettes
1 private dance at the Disco
2 to 4 parking tickets.
20 packs of rolling papers
A fishing license, a good rod and a good reel and fishing tackle
and other...

TO BUSINESSES
that 1 cents means each of the listed above will be items you will not sell because ARC collected it in taxes.

Why I VOTED NO

* There are too many projects on the list and the projects that are on the list are too expensive and wasteful.

*Many of the projects are unspecified pots of money for the County Commission to decide to spend at a later date on the priorities that they determine.

*SPLOST is was never legally approved for Business Handouts.

*When did we borrow $8Million from MGC?

*Why are we paying MCG after they slapped us in the face?

*Why is Paine College a PRIVATE college almost bankrupt on the SPLOST list?

*Why $5+ Million for defunk movies houses that have not turned a profit after previous handout over the last 15+ years ?

* Why special interest $$$$ for the Mills that GRU/MGC has never wanted?

* Like previous SPLOST's the $$$$ is NOT being spend countywide, but instead is being focused again Downtown.

* Based on previous SPLOST's. Too much $$$$ going into slush funds without honest and independent accounting reviews on how and where it is being spent.

* They want a SPLOST AND RAIN TAX both this year?

* Why not eliminate the Special Interests from S7?

Remember every Penny collected in TAXES is a Penny that does not buy or pay for some thing.

It hurts Families and it hurts Businesses.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/30/14 - 05:58 am
"I think Attorney General

"I think Attorney General Eric Holder should take whatever Secret Service necessary to protect him"

And I think that if the Secret Service was really a law enforcement agency they would arrest Eric Holder for violation of his oath of office for failing to enforce the laws of the United States of America and contempt of Congress.

Young Fred
Young Fred 04/30/14 - 06:36 am
Here, here, dichotomy!

What decade was it when oaths and rule of law suddenly became passé?

Young Fred
Young Fred 04/30/14 - 06:37 am
Here, here, dichotomy!

Still can't get used to this dang "pad"

Airman
Airman 04/30/14 - 06:45 am
Unions

All I can say is I have been involved with unions, first with the USPS, dues were low and they had a cheap and excellent health plan if you were a member. This was in the late 80's early 90's. I left the PO and went to work part time for a major airline. Within in the year a vote came to unionize, baggage, ticket gate agents etc. I was much older than the majority of the other employees. I took the job for the flying benefits. I advised the guys to vote NO. They argued that we would get an immediate raise of 3$ an hour. Well the airline unionized, we got the 3$ an hour raise, but now we had union dues and no longer free health care. My pay dropped 84$ a month, i worked 20 hours a week. 6 months later we had more employees and I was cut to 16 hours a week. Union membership was growing. * months later I was injured on the job. 14 months later I got a union negociated settlement of less than 10k$. Woohoo, I ended up on social security disability and no benefits from the airline because they declared bankruptcy three months after the forced settlement. OK sure my take home on disability is more than I made with the airline, but I cannot work. I was not working for the money but for the bennies and I enjoyed the job. I firmly believe had the union been voted NO the airline would have never declared bankruptcy. They are no longer unionized and are doing great. I missed being able to get off work and have my family meet me at the airport and taking off to places unknown for a long weekend, free air and super discounted hotels were the life . UNION SUCK and ruined this country

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/30/14 - 06:58 am
Unions

Good post, Airman. Unions don't help the average working stiff. But they provide a group to join so the members can feel special. That's what it's all about.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/30/14 - 08:07 am
Union Dues

When I was 17, I lied about my age and went to work in a South Carolina shirt factory at minimum wage. No one at the factory had ever voted on the union, but they took out union wages on everyone.

The national company had an agreement with the union based in New York that all of their factories nationwide had to collect union dues on all workers. It was a pretty big hunk of my paltry paycheck. What did the union do for me? Absolutely nothing. It was absolutely back breaking "production" type work. But I needed a job and stayed there almost a year. No complaints except for the union dues I paid against my wishes.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 04/30/14 - 08:21 am
"Deal is no friend to

"Deal is no friend to Richmond and Columbia counties."

My sentiments, exactly. I found it interesting that someone took the Commissioners to task for not showing up for a bill signing with the governor last week.

It's an election year and he is doing what politicians do---flip flopping around the state to garner support and votes.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/30/14 - 08:26 am
Sorry Bout That

So Oklahoma is using a new technique and had a difficult execution. They had to draw the curtain so the observers couldn't see the man thrashing around. He died of a heart attack about 40 minutes later. By the way, he was being executed for murder, rape, kidnapping and robbery of innocent people. Instead of feeling bad about it, I say that execution technique should be used for all executions.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/30/14 - 08:50 am
My thoughts precisely RM.

My thoughts precisely RM. When I read that article last night about the heinous crimes he committed; I thought "good, maybe there is some justice after all." I hope he suffered mightily.

BamaMan
BamaMan 04/30/14 - 08:51 am
Oklahoma execution

It that supposed to make us feel sorry for him? What did he do to DESERVE execution? I doubt it was painless.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/30/14 - 08:55 am
Unions

Why can't I get pro-unioners to engage in a debate about having a American Workers union covering every employee under the level of executive. I mean, unions are good right? So why wouldn't it be good to have 99% of working America represented?

harley_52
harley_52 04/30/14 - 09:16 am
The Death Penalty....

The Attorney General of Oklahoma should issue a press release stating "If you're thinking about murdering someone in Oklahoma, you'd better think twice. We've been having a little problem with our executions lately and it has become a pretty gruesome and horrible undertaking. Fair warning....."

The Florida AG did something similar when their electric chair was causing sparks to shoot out the top of the head of their executionees a few years ago.

harley_52
harley_52 04/30/14 - 09:24 am
Public Service Unions...

...may well be our downfall. Even George Meany recognized that public service (aka government) employees should NOT be allowed to unionize. FDR warned us too. We have ignored their warnings and now suffer the consequences.

When politicians and unions "bargain," it's YOUR money they're bargaining with and politicians have no qualms about promising the moon in order to obtain union money and union votes in return. The result will bankrupt governments at all levels and insure unions will withhold public services at times they're needed the most.

jimmymac
jimmymac 04/30/14 - 09:43 am
UNIONS

When I got my first full time job it was at a union chemical company. I eventually became president of the local. During my time there I grew increasingly wary of the international union. All they ever cared about were the dues and virtually ignored us unless they wanted a dues increase. I used to tell the rank and file at our meetings that we had the international on one side and the company on the other and we were in the middle fighting them both. When I left that company I became salaried management at an American auto company and I saw first hand why the big three were almost driven out of business by the unions. All the unions do is prop up the bad worker at the expense of the good worker. A good employee doesn't need a union just the bad employee.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/30/14 - 10:24 am
Print Edition

I hope they publish Riverman's 9:26 comment in tomorrow's print edition under the R&Rs.

Also, I hope all R&R online readers pay attention to Harley's 10:24 comment. Absolutely correct.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/30/14 - 10:32 am
See, all I can get is a

See, all I can get is a thumbs down. Apparently no pro unioner is able to present a cogent argument as to why if unions are so good, it would be a great idea to unionize every employee in the country. Sauce for the goose and all that.....

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 04/30/14 - 10:33 am
@LL 11:24

I will be happy to submit it. The night editors actually pick them, but I send them the choices.

harley_52
harley_52 04/30/14 - 11:16 am
IAD...

Your question presents a logical fallacy. Your premise is that if a little of something is good, a lot of it must be really good. That premise is faulty.

If you doubt that, remember that drinking six, eight ounce glasses of water every day is good, but drinking six thousand of them will kill you.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/30/14 - 11:34 am
My Headline - OK State AG Blames Anti-Death Penalty Group

Liberals strike again.

The problems with this Oklahoma execution can be directly traced to the those in the Anti-Death Penalty crowds blackmailing the suppliers.
Suppliers that had been supplying the effective ZERO Pain and ZERO Suffering execution drugs for years.

This Murdering / Rapist suffered only because of THEM.
It would not have happen if not for their meddling in a
USSC approved process.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/30/14 - 12:09 pm
UNIONS - and how they affected our family.

1920-30's
My grandfather was forced to move with Spaldeing Baseball to NC because of a Union group threatening him and his family.

1970's Early on I took a job at Ga Steel here in Augusta. I was hired as a STAFF member so the plant could avoid me being a Union member. They had the Teamsters in the shop. 10 cents over minimum Wage if memory serves me. Enough to cover the Union dues. As a Staff member doing the same job I was 10 cents more (no dues) Job lasted 2 days I quit after threats and my vehicle was damaged in the parking lot. Another guy was not as lucky a piece of steel accidentally fall on him and hurt him good.

Jump forward - 1978? Hydreco opens on Tobacco Rd. by shifting 1/2 plant production to NON-Union Augusta. My job was $3.25 dollars over min/wage. Worked there 18 month. The union at International Harvester goes on strike over 11 cents per hours. Hydreco is crippled because IH is our 2nd major purchaser. A few layoffs and the UNION decides to it time to try here. The employee's vote yes on promises the union. The employer wonders why have 2 Union plants they already have a Union Plant in Mich. They close Augusta, and open NON-Union plants in Mexico and other location in Asia.

1980's Plant Vogel - Local 150 Pipe fitters. Had to get 2 union people to move a 5 pound piece of steel I was testing, after being written up for taking work from the union. My NDT tests took from 15 to 30 mins.
which they got to sit until I need the pipe rotated 180 degrees.

1990's Las Vegas - N+I NOC Team doing security specials running Fiber Optics on a catwalk 40 feet up. Labor Union guys show up and threaten to toss me and another team member off the catwalk.
My Security Team showed up when i hit the panic button on my radio. They were removed from the building and fired. Next morning their shop steward shows up with them and puts them back to work. Yes after threatening to kill people, yes they went back to sitting on the catwalk at 23.50 p/hr.

So the Union has cause me and family nothing but grief.

Unions like many things, were once good intended things and badly needed. But like almost all good intend ideas the Union was taken over
by Power seekers and corrupted at many levels.

Ask Jimmy, if you can find him☺

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/30/14 - 01:10 pm
Rant regarding online

Rant regarding online listings, such as whitepages.com that list your property/address with other people's names on it, which also means you didn't give permission for anyone to be listed there. Doesn't anyone check these things?

Young Fred
Young Fred 04/30/14 - 01:52 pm
Harley has so many good ones...

...It's hard to pick just one - I'll pick this one:

"Labor unions had their place in the history of our Country, but like the typewriter, their time has now come and gone."

My experience with a union was waaaaaay back about 1983. I was hanging sheetrock ("drywall" to you Yanks) for, get ready, the Medical College of Ga - MCG at that time.

My foreman approached me and told me to "lay off" the work, what the heck was I trying to do "work them out of a job!".

I was raised to do the best job possible, to give 100%. My foreman told me, my hard work was hurting others!

Granted, my experience is anecdotal, but I've seen nothing in my many years to suggest my anecdotes are incorrect.

Too bad - A once great American tradition has been taken over by liberals and sloth!!!

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.