Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

LORI MYLES, YOU don’t have to drop out of the mayor race; your interview with The Augusta Chronicle will take care of that.

THIS IS A BIG rant on President Obama for again delaying the Keystone pipeline for political reasons. All you liberal Democrats who support him and think he is so great should pay $6 for a gallon of gas while Republicans should pay $2.

I DISAGREE WITH THE writer who said white people can’t go along with black people. Most of the leaders in Augusta are black, even the sheriff of Richmond County is black, so some white people must have voted for him. I watch some of the Augusta Commission shows on TV, and they are a joke. None of them can agree on anything.

NOW COMMISSIONER William Fennoy wants to open his mouth out loud about Charles Walker. I hope he notes if Walker is paying his own way to and from Augusta? His own medical bills at GRU? How about noting the different names of his current places like the CSRA Classic is now what? Augusta City Classic? What is the new name of Georgia Personnel? Did it make sure to get a business license? If not, how long has it been running under its new name without a business license? Inquiring minds want to know. And I’m sure the Feds do, too.

RESIDENTS OF SOUTH Augusta, you need to be serious about the folks wanting your vote. Are they going to look out for the other parts of Richmond County – Hephzibah, Blythe, Gracewood, Goshen, McBean, just to name a few? Yes, we need attention downtown, but remember where you live and what you need also.

THERE IS A SCAM out there. A family member was called by two men posing as detectives. Using the same name. Had her information and told her she missed a court appearance. She would have to pay a fine of over $1,000 to correct their files. To go get two green dot cash cards to pay the fine, or they would send a deputy to come get her and take her to jail. She thought a minute and said, come and get me. They hung up and she called and made a report of the scam. It seems local authorities were aware of the scam. Yesterday, there was an article in the paper about the scam. Beware, just another criminal trying to steal your money.

I AM EMBARRASSED that our educational system in America grants doctoral degrees to people who can’t make a coherent statement.

harley_52
harley_52 04/29/14 - 11:35 am
"I would just love to see some young, educated....

....energetic blood injected into the mix. It has happened in big cities everywhere, why not here?"

So would most everybody else. One danger we face is letting the "perfect" be the enemy of the "good." I'm not so sure there aren't a couple of good candidates in the mix right now, even granting there aren't any perfect ones.

Do you believe it's helpful to encouraging good (or even perfect) candidates to join the race when what they see day in and day out is personal attacks, mocking, and constant negativity from the citizenry, or worse, from non-citizens who seem to delight in dragging the City/County down?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/29/14 - 11:36 am
corgimom @ 9:34

"As for me, I'm just wondering when Bruce Jenner will man up and get his sex change operation"

You mean the guy who lets the family act like idiots? I don't like them either, BUT I bet they are laughing all the way to the bank!!

harley_52
harley_52 04/29/14 - 11:40 am
For What It's Worth....

I'm a little tired of professional politicians, smooth talkers, lawyers, and other gold diggers controlling the political process throughout the Country.

Look where it has taken us.

I'd like to see some "regular people" get involved in the process so we can see how it goes. I don't think it can be any worse.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/29/14 - 11:43 am
justthefacts @7:49

"I seriously doubt if what Joe thinks or needs ever enters Obama's mind"

I would believe if Joe is going to run for Democratic nomination, he would be well advised to distance himself from the Obama admin.!

corgimom
corgimom 04/29/14 - 12:58 pm
Bamaman, I can read just

Bamaman, I can read just fine, and the Charlotte Observer clearly stated that it was the United Church of Christ. I'm not confusing anything, don't know why you think that I was.

corgimom
corgimom 04/29/14 - 01:00 pm
Harley, if a candidate would

Harley, if a candidate would refuse to run for office based on our remarks on this blog, Augusta wouldn't need them, because they'd be too stupid to perform their jobs.

It is ludicrous to think that this blog would influence anybody not to run for public office.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/29/14 - 02:21 pm
Actually owning a 1st edition of "For Us, The Living"

The argument presented in the book
"that no act should be punished as a crime unless it actually damages another person in a measurable way."

Would go a long way at reducing needless court cases, lawyers and and victimless crimes.

harley_52
harley_52 04/29/14 - 04:50 pm
"Would go a long way at reducing needless court cases....

.... lawyers and and victimless crimes.

I think the single greatest deterrent to people filing weak, often frivolous civil law suits would be for us to adopt the "loser pays" system in place in the Commonwealth Nations and even some variants in some U.S. States.

Until we do, people have an incentive to file frivolous suits hoping the defendant will make some kind of a sizable offer to settle without a trial.

You can thank a huge percentage of medical costs to our system and our unscrupulous lawyers.

happychimer
happychimer 04/30/14 - 02:27 pm
t3bledsoe who said argue or

t3bledsoe who said argue or debate. I can talk without arguing or debating. I do it all the time.