Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

NEWS HEADLINES - Former Senator Charles Walker hospitalized for surgery - details not being released. Then, he served 8 years in federal prison and was in a halfway house at the time of hospitalization. Did the prison sentence statement make any difference? What did that have to do with the price of tea in China? We all needed to know that little tid-bit.

RAVE TO THE YOUNG doctor (or dental student?) from GRU who entertained the young girl who was stuck at Thai Kitchen while her parents worked. He and his date were kind enough to keep her occupied during their meal by talking to her, educating her, and performing magic tricks.

WHO ADVOCATED FOR Charles Cummings? Isn’t he the one who could not handle the business, then got his wife to take on the name of a business that the employees didn’t even know? That is NOT what we need for a mayor!

GOV. NIKKI HALEY is correct in saying food stamps and Medicaid is being abused in this country. And more so since Obama has been in office. You are taken advantage of the taxpayers. Get off your lazy butts and go to work like the rest of us. The poor isn’t as poor as many may think?? They just believe I am entitled and you owe me attitude.

RANT TO SPORTS WRITER Scott Michaux and all his negative comments about the 2014 Masters. Just because the history that was made was not the history he hoped for didn’t make the back nine on Sunday a “dud”, as he stated. All the negativity that was in his commentary does not detract from the fact that Bubba Watson did what he had to do to win the tournament. He played smart, steady golf while those chasing him made mistakes that kept them from making a serious charge. Enough of these articles, Mr. Michaux; give credit where credit is due and recognize the great golfer that Bubba Watson is and that he’s one of the sport’s favorites. Maybe “your “ guy will win next time.

IT IS A SHAME WITH all the construction on Mike Padgett Highway we still have people like the one in the white Infiniti this morning. I hope you got where you were going since you put my grandchildren and several others at risk by passing on a double yellow line in front of IP. I just want you to know I do have your tag number and a picture of your car and I did turn in to the sheriff’s office.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/26/14 - 08:00 pm
Med. Student in Thai Kitchen

Nice story about the Thai Kitchen. I can see it in my mind as it happened. Potential spouses doing childcare together.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/27/14 - 08:12 am
Knock Knock

Is this thing on. Great race in Richmond last night. Tired.

corgimom
corgimom 04/27/14 - 08:21 am
Ranter #4- have you ever

Ranter #4- have you ever stopped to consider the number of people that ARE working, that DO have jobs, and that qualify for food stamps and Medicaid?

You know, like people in the military that qualify for food stamps?

Oh wait, then you couldn't demonize poor people if you took that into consideration. My bad.

If only the 17,000 unemployed people in Augusta would just get off their lazy butts and go to work, why, this world would be a better place! Because everybody knows that there are 17,000 unfilled jobs in Augusta that are just begging for someone to fill them!

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/27/14 - 08:44 am
MY Simple Solution

If you are getting something from the Taxpayers
Work it off.

Workfare, Not Welfare.
Cleanup crews and City assistant staff are always needed somewhere in ARC.

sawgrass
1920
sawgrass 04/27/14 - 01:55 pm
corgimom

Ranter #4 is agreeing with Gov. Halley on the continued abuse of food stamps, welfare and Medicaid. I also agree with that post #4. Too many people in this country live from cradle to grave on food stamps and welfare. That program was never designed for that. You stated "And of course, the fact that there are too many people and too few jobs- no, that wouldn't be a problem, either." That is direct reflection on our President. But, I'm sure there are no concerns such as this in Charlotte.

JRC2024
JRC2024 04/27/14 - 10:29 am
Corgi, you need to open your

Corgi, you need to open your eyes and just look at the food stamp and welfare people. From an employers standpoint when I try to hire someone in that situation they ALWAYS say can I get paid cash instead of a check where they will get a W-2. OR they just will not work or they want the check in someone else's name. I just do not worry about them any more. They always seem to get by.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/27/14 - 11:27 am
JTF

Yep, a good race. Nothing in the Chronicle about it. The Braves are playing well. My man, Evan Gattis, homered again. BJ and Uggla still not doing much.

KSL
KSL 04/27/14 - 12:13 pm
corgi

If there are too many people looking for work and too few jobs, why are there any unfilled jobs out there?

KSL
KSL 04/27/14 - 12:15 pm
Rhetorical question. I

Rhetorical question. I already know the answer.

KSL
KSL 04/27/14 - 12:24 pm
Noc

I can think of dozens of ways for them to "wotk off" some of their assistance from the giverment.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/27/14 - 02:42 pm
River

U R right about Gattis. We r going to need him later today. Yep nascar doesn't get much coverage. Fun to go though.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/27/14 - 02:58 pm
As long as we have between 15 and 23 Million Illegals

living and WORKING in the USA.

I will always see that many jobs that COULD be filled by those that currently live off the Government.

sawgrass
1920
sawgrass 04/27/14 - 03:18 pm
corgimom

Another liberal answer for our problems in our country.

happychimer
happychimer 04/27/14 - 03:37 pm
And what's wrong with answer

And what's wrong with an answer from a liberal? You think only conservatives can give answers? We are not all alike. We each are different, thank God. So we should accept others just the way they are, and quit slinging hateful slurs.

stuaby
stuaby 04/27/14 - 04:29 pm
Tina Dupuy said: "...we

Tina Dupuy said:
"...we [Liberals] have the facts on our side..."

She then went on to present one of these "facts" by saying:
"In 2011 the top 400 Americans have more wealth than half of all Americans combined. Four hundred people own half of everything there is to own."

Yes, leftists have lots of facts. The problem is that they have no idea how to interpret them.

The measure of how well or not well people are doing is not by comparing wealthy people to unwealthy people. True measures come from things such as per capita income, per capita savings rates, per capita debt, relative purchasing power per capita, etc.

Wealth comparisons lead the low-discernment type to believe that the wealthy have what they do because they snatched it away by force or deception from the less fortunate. How does that work? Did the multimillionare Madonna snatch her millions by force?

sawgrass
1920
sawgrass 04/27/14 - 04:48 pm
happychimer

I never slung hateful slurs. However, we have an epidemic in this country which involves food stamps and welfare. People think the government "owes" them free support. This free support is passed down for generations. It is not my responsibility to take care of a healthy person who refuses not to work. Who, in fact, chooses to have baby after baby which brings in more free money from the government. Anyone on welfare should be required to take and PASS a monthly drug test. I have to do that at my place of employment. My tax dollars pay for that free money. I'm tired of supporting people who choose not to work.

happychimer
happychimer 04/27/14 - 05:41 pm
sawgrass everyone knows there

sawgrass everyone knows there is fraud in foodstamps and welfare. That is nothing new. Instead of attacking those people who get assistance, put that energy into stopping the fraud as much as possible. Everyone on welfare can't work, and of those, some want to work and can't. I know someone who was on assistance about 2 years before he died. I saw him break down crying because he could not work anymore. His health was so bad that he could not lie down and sleep. He chose to work, but his body would not allow him to work.

sawgrass
1920
sawgrass 04/27/14 - 06:08 pm
happychimer

You said I made hateful slurs. That is untrue. I said people abuse the system. I understand some people need help, which I am happy to provide. However, a vast majority of people (no matter what race) chooses to be parasites on my government. That is what I don't like. People need to learn to get a hand up, not a hand out. Use government funds for educational advancement, job training and development, not money to have baby after baby. Again, if that is the case, mandatory drug screening is required. If you fail, you go off government aid. I have to pass drug screens at my job to keep it. So should they.

happychimer
happychimer 04/27/14 - 07:36 pm
sawgrass I was talking about

sawgrass I was talking about those who sling insults. I see it everyday here and other places.

Azziz UNLV president finalist

Ricardo Azziz, who has been mentioned in the past for other open university positions in Florida and Texas, is one of three finalists for the position.