Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

WORDS CAN NEVER express the appreciation of this 87-year-old woman for the two men who came from First Baptist Church of Augusta and cleaned the debris from the past ice storm. I had dragged some to clear the drive but still had gobs left, which they cleaned. God will bless them for their Christian spirit.

WE JUST DID OUR first Good Friday Cross Walk. It was a holy time of reflection. Thank you to the organizers and the four south Augusta churches for giving us a good opportunity to walk, pray, study the Scripture and sing praises to Jesus, the Son of God.

BIG RAVE FOR BUTT Bridge. I love the lions. Please preserve them.

MR. MICHAELS AT the Commissary at Fort Gordon is such a wonderful person. He helps people beyond his duty. I hope that Fort Gordon appreciates this man. May God bless him and his family.

A HUGE RAVE TO Marie Gunter for teaching gardening to her elementary students. What a service she is providing for the community and the children by sharing such a valuable skill and learning opportunity.

A RANT TO THE raver who paid only $7,000 for highway construction, food inspection, airline safety monitoring, military defense, pensions and medical care for seniors, water quality inspections and his/her use of recreation facilities. If all you paid in federal, state, Medicare, Medicaid, city, county and state taxes was $7,000, you need to get another job so you can pay more taxes like the rest of us.

‘THE CHRONICLE’S’ APRIL 18 editorial “Flash! Drivers have free speech rights!” expresses the viewpoint of a disgruntled adolescent who got stopped for speeding. Sorry, but there are often consequences to be faced for performing a dangerous action. As learning experiences, consequences should be memorable without resulting in someone’s injury or death. Flashing headlights to warn drivers of speed traps might be a temporarily entertaining little game, but the memory of a stiff fine, or just a stiff lecture, might last long enough to make a speeder behave more responsibly. Flashing headlights might or might not be legal, but equating that with free speech is just plain silly.

APPARENTLY SOME drivers are anticipating a “right to tailgate” law. The morons blow their horns loud and long at people who slow down to make a legal left turn.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/25/14 - 05:09 pm
"While flashing headlights

"While flashing headlights may or may not be legal, equating that with free speech is just plain silly."

A federal judge clearly stated it was a matter of free speech, so who is just plain silly?

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/26/14 - 06:52 am
Countdown: Return to a US Constitution based America

999 days
18 hours
07 minutes
53 seconds

We hope!

JRC2024
JRC2024 04/26/14 - 07:02 am
I flash my lights if there is

I flash my lights if there is a speed trap. I hope others do the same for me. You may or may not be speeding but you can be prepared.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/26/14 - 07:23 am
In my book it is simple

Our Law Enforcement has stood by the statement for generations,
"It is about Safety and NOT revenue."

So me flashing my lights brings people into compliance with the law.
I am increasing roadway safety.

When I flash my lights at the person who forgot to turn on their Headlights @ (rain dusk etc) I am increasing roadway safety.

When others are approaching a Speed enforcement zone to fast and could run into much slower moving traffic. I am increasing roadway safety.

When I see LEO's in the roadway doing traffic stops, which are in harms way for rubberneckers. I am increasing roadway & LEO safety.

BTW: Traffic Accidents are the single most Leading Cause Of Police Deaths while on the job.

Roughly half of all officers killed in the line of duty die in traffic.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/26/14 - 07:28 am
Arresting Flashers

The only flashers who should be arrested are those wearing raincoats.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/26/14 - 07:37 am
BIG RAVE FOR BUTT Bridge.

Me too...I'm in love with that bridge too.♥ Don't change a thing.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/26/14 - 07:40 am
appreciation of this 87-year-old woman

I hope more good things come your way....I thank them too.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/26/14 - 07:42 am
Marie Gunter for teaching gardening to her elementary students.

Probably the best lesson they could possibly learn...I'm surprised she had time with all the rules & stuff they have today...

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/26/14 - 08:13 am
"The morons blow their horns

"The morons blow their horns loud and long at people who slow down to make a legal left turn."

Well, they probably would not do that if the drivers who were slowing to make a legal left turn WOULD PUT ON THEIR LEGALLY REQUIRED LEFT TURN SIGNAL when they began slowing below the speed of the flow of traffic speed.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/26/14 - 08:21 am
Mary Dits For Louis Harris Award

I saw the other day a radio person received the local journalism award from the Rotary Club. Giving the award to a radio person (and I realize Harley Drew got it previously) represents the change in journalism to other media. The next step is to recognize online journalists of various kinds. Of course the Chronicle is transforming to an online entity and many of us “citizen journalists” participate. Others do You Tube videos. I nominate Mary Dits, the fearless and brilliant, online news anchor for the next award. If she’s too controversial give it to Riverman. I’ll text in my acceptance speech.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/26/14 - 08:27 am
controversial give it to Riverman

NOW..that would be controversial...you know dang well that you have lovers & haters on here.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/26/14 - 08:28 am
RM -ref: Flashers in Rain Coats

Google
Female Flashers in Rain Coats
and say that again☺

It is humor people just humor...

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/26/14 - 10:09 am
Noc, after viewing the female

Noc, after viewing the female flashers, I've changed my mind. Leave THOSE flashers alone.

SeenIt, you mean someone hates Riverman? Say it ain't so.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/26/14 - 12:54 pm
RAVE for the Eastman Gun

RAVE for the Eastman Gun Show.

We picked up:
2500 rds of CCI 22LR's for $200
250 Home Defense 9mm rds for $130
A New 10mm Mag. for the 1911 DL S70 for $45
15 degree offset for mount for the 1903A2

Good size back flowing crowd.
Most purchasing Ammo at normal prices and there was plenty of it.

The Rippoff Ammo dealers quickly learned this was not that type of Gun Show and remarked the 100 rd 22LR boxes down from $50 to $15 and $20.

Saw plenty of 9mm 115gr FMJ 500rds for $130.
Saw plenty of 38, 357, 40, 44 etc. also.

The only higher than normal Ammo prices due to demand were
Mushroom Hollow Points and Flesh rounds.

Great show, just ran out of $$$$ too soon today.

american rose
american rose 04/26/14 - 04:45 pm
There are no signs saying don't flash your lights, but we all

know we are not suppose to do it. Well, what about the handicap signs in parking lots. There they are, saying there is a fine if you park there illegally. Real money to be made, and is enforced in Columbia County ($125). So why is Richmond County dragging their feet on this one. I see tailgating and excessive speeding all the time, but where is law enforcement. They must be drinking coffee for their health or sitting off the road talking on their cell phones.

corgimom
corgimom 04/26/14 - 07:05 pm
So whatever happened to the

So whatever happened to the supposed shortage of ammunition?

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/26/14 - 09:23 pm
????? What happen to the Ammo Shortage ?????

Simple.

The DHS got caught buying up the market, at the same time the Obama Admin tried to BAN over 100 LEGAL firearms based on looks.

After being caught purchasing over 1.2 Billions rounds, enough for 5 to 10 years worth of Federal Training and enough the supply the Afgan and Iran wars both for 5 years.

After being caught purchasing calibers the FED's does not even use.
(32, 22/270 44mag, 357 mag etc....)

Then stocking piling it is several locations in the weather.

CONGRESS Finally stepped in.

But the shelves were bear.

Ammo Makers estimate it will take another 14 months for 22cal and some caliber to be back to normal supply levels.

However, the NEWER Gun Powders now being used are suspect, having to conform to NEW EPA rules and the Manufacture Load data has been altered to reflect the new Chemical mix composition.

Example:
Using W231 powder for a 40cal 180gr starting load 5 years ago was was 4.1.

Now using the same powder a starting load is 4.4 grains and the
PSI levels are at least 18 to 20% lower?