Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

TO THE PERSON praising Bubba while dissing Tiger: Obviously, you also want to avoid Michaux’s column. One thing that everyone should highly praise Tiger on is that he made the announcement very late about his withdrawal or else Augusta would have suffered a withdrawal of thousands of his fans, too.

I WONDER WHETHER Bubba Watson’s sponsors will make the Waffle House take down any photos, the way Phil Mickelson’s sponsors made Krispy Kreme take down his? But then, Bubba was not wearing the Augusta National jacket like Phil was.

RAVE FOR A DREAM come true. For job reasons, I moved from Richmond County to the Northeast. Hopefully, I will find a better-run government and get some elected officials who will spend my tax money appropriately and not act like a bunch of jerks that I have become used to. It is no wonder folks are leaving Richmond County.

RANT TO PAINE College for changing their Druid Park Avenue crosswalk light to change on a timer. Now it turns every 60 seconds (even without any people crossing) and makes the cars wait at a red light for no reason.

ALVIN MASON HAS had two terms on the commission, and has not done anything positive for Augusta. He is just another arrogant politician.

VOTE FOR HELEN Blocker-Adams. Her only agenda is the betterment of all of Augusta, not just one segment of it.

EVERYONE IN AUGUSTA needs to vote no on SPLOST. They don’t know how to use the money we gave them years ago. All commissioners need to resign. None of them is doing a good job.

RAVE FOR LORI Myles mayor. Maybe a woman can change the image of the commission meetings and focus on the business at hand instead of personalities.

I’M GOING DOWN THE highway and doing the speed limit and they want me to move over so the person behind me can speed and kill himself or somebody else? I think this is the worst law that’s ever been made. It needs to be repealed.

TO THE RICHMOND County motorcycle cop who ran across the street and yelled at the driver turning into the Lodge on Heath (April 18) instead of halting traffic and helping him turn: You made a very bad impression on some very important people visiting The Garden City and the Masters Tournament. You disgraced the uniform.

corgimom
corgimom 04/24/14 - 03:49 pm
The motorcycle cop was DOING

The motorcycle cop was DOING HIS JOB, and not everybody in RC caters to Masters' guests.

Why SHOULD he halt traffic and help that driver turn? Ok, from now on, when I come to Augusta, I want a police officer to stop traffic so that I can turn left into a parking lot.

Remember about how LEFT TURN YIELDS THE RIGHT OF WAY?? As in, state law?

No, he wasn't a disgrace, he is exactly what Augusta needs, a fair and impartial police officer!

corgimom
corgimom 04/24/14 - 03:50 pm
And if a guest comes to

And if a guest comes to Augusta and thinks that they are above the law, please, by all means, STAY HOME from now on!

"Important people", oh PUH-LEEZE!!!!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/24/14 - 10:02 pm
Love your 3:50 corgimom. Amen

Love your 3:50 corgimom. Amen to that!

stuaby
stuaby 04/24/14 - 11:58 pm
Mud pies, all.

Mud pies, all.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/25/14 - 06:22 am
Give Visitors A Break

When I’m in another city I appreciate being given breaks driving due to not being familiar with the area. I remember being in Fort Lauderdale for a conference at the Yankee Clipper a few years back and having to make a left turn on that busy street. There were signs all up and down saying no left turn, but that was the only logical way I could get where I needed to be. People behind me patiently waited for my law breaking and a cop witnessed my crime. He did nothing. I agree with the ranter that the officer should have given the visitor a break. It ain't going to kill us.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/25/14 - 06:41 am
April 18th??

The Masters? Bet they wondered where everybody went.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/25/14 - 07:07 am
Moving to the Northeast?

Yep, they will definitely spend your tax dollars wisely. Your dream is about to become a nightmare. Hope you got a nice regional diff in your comp plan.

sawgrass
sawgrass 04/25/14 - 07:23 am
corgimom

If the person was an out of town guest, could it be possible the driver was confused or maybe even lost? Maybe Charlotte is such an easy town to navigate, even to novice drivers but there are confusing traffic patterns in Augusta if you are new to the area. I'm sure you never have any problems driving in an unfamiliar area.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/25/14 - 07:33 am
Guy Hit With Golf Club

I see where a guy trying to buy drugs downtown was struck with a golf club and robbed of his money and clothes. I can only visualize the tournament official saying quiet please and holding up his hands before the swing.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/25/14 - 07:59 am
Love him or hate him,,folks still want to watch him

"Tiger on is that he made the announcement very late about his withdrawal or else Augusta would have suffered a withdrawal of thousands of his fans, too."

Probaby right on this...

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/25/14 - 08:16 am
Rant # 3 was not by me

But with some exceptions I agree.
eg.. the word Jerks was unneeded.

Yes ARC has turned a major corner in the direction of negative economic and demographics.

I see it crashing and burning before it can be rebuilt.

The only remaining hope is for District 8 and the ARC/CC West Side to De-consolidate, before they become like what North Fulton Co. was to Metro-Atlanta... a source for taxes but not spending.

It should be obvious given the constant Tax/Service increases,
the ARC Property, sales, services fees and SPLOST ## taxes no longer can support the basic County area maintenance, the political spending habits and the City "improvement" demands.

Doubt the comment?
Print out a ARC MAP and show yourself where you'd safely raise a family, what is growing constantly, and where you shop in ARC.

This is why we see the big store build up in Northwest and West Augusta along I-20.

This is also why ARC has to provide Tax-Free Heavens to attract the larger stores even to these prime locations.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/25/14 - 08:18 am
My Own Rant

Just what does it take for a District Attorney to seek the Death Penalty in this area?

BTW: Has the Cracker Barrel Ring Theft incident come to trial yet?

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/25/14 - 08:27 am
Cracker Barrel Ring Theft incident

Not exactly a theft...she found the ring, she didn't swipe it off a finger.

Airman
Airman 04/25/14 - 08:36 am
corgimom

OK the rude Ticket Buster jumped off his bike and ran across the street and yelled at these people. Yes he was a Jerk, Jack's hind end, whatever. It would have been just as easy to be a good ambassador for the city and offer help. As a former resident of the Augusta area I am ashamed almost every time I come back to visit and see the way SOME LEO's act and look. They are a disgrace to ARC and the uniform. Now on the positive side I was stopped by one on 520 to tell me I had run over some construction debris, turned out to be a large sheet of plastic, he not only told me but got underneath my car and removed it. It had already started to melt and stick to the muffler and tailpipe. With in minutes it could have been disaster had it caught fire next to the fuel tank. BTW this officer was not overweight and it looked like he pressed his uniform as he got out of the patrol car

corgimom
corgimom 04/25/14 - 08:46 am
sawgrass, I have driven all

sawgrass, I have driven all over the United States, and for all of those places, they were unfamiliar to me at first. And I did fine.

But I had to obey the traffic laws, and I didn't write ridiculous rants in the paper about the "important people" that I had in the car, nor did I unfairly slam a police officer doing their job.

Left turns have to yield the right of way to oncoming traffic, and I don't care WHO is in the car. You learn that in Driver's Ed, and whoever is riding with you in the car doesn't change that.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/25/14 - 08:47 am
Murder or not??

Shot a man trying to break in his car & now charged with murder...

harley_52
harley_52 04/25/14 - 09:04 am
"For job reasons....

....I moved from Richmond County to the Northeast."

"Job reasons" covers a lot of ground. Could be your company reassigned you, or it could be you believed the job market for your particular skill was better in the "Northeast" than here in ARC. Either way, your moving makes sense.

Good luck with the rest of your dream. If you find a place where politicians aren't "jerks" and they all spend your tax money "appropriately" you should anchor yourself there for sure. Having lived in lots of places, I can attest those kind of places are few and far between.

The CSRA is poised for a huge influx of jobs and money. Sorry you'll miss it. Best of luck in the "Northeast." Personally, I'd choose ARC and I have.

corgimom
corgimom 04/25/14 - 09:06 am
I looked at many of the prom

I looked at many of the prom pictures. Most were of handsome young men, beautiful young ladies in gorgeous dresses.

But some of those girls' dresses were appalling. How their mothers ever let them out of the house is amazing.

There were some that were just plain indecent and immodest, and looked like they would have a "wardrobe misfunction" at any moment.

Whatever happened to mothers scrutinizing their daughters' apparel to make sure it was in good taste and modest?

I had to present myself to my mother every day before school to see if she was ok with what I wore, and if she didn't like it for any reason, that was THAT.

Because she was trying to protect me and my reputation, and didn't want people saying bad things about me. She didn't want boys to get the wrong impression (as if teenage boys need any encouragement.)

When did that basic standard of parenting end?

corgimom
corgimom 04/25/14 - 09:10 am
seenit, yes, murder is

seenit, yes, murder is appropriate.

A man was by his car. That is not a reason to think that he was breaking into it, people are by cars in malls and restaurants all the time.

A confrontation ensued. So the man pulled out a gun and shot the victim.

The car hadn't been stolen, hadn't moved, the man had not entered the car.

You can't murder people because of what you "think" they are doing.

Why didn't he just call 911?

And now he's facing murder charges over WHAT- a car? A hunk of metal? That's what he has ruined his life over?

corgimom
corgimom 04/25/14 - 09:11 am
As my father told me, "When

As my father told me, "When you purchase a handgun, you have made the decision that you are willing to kill another human being. And no matter what the circumstances, it changes your life forever when you do."

harley_52
harley_52 04/25/14 - 09:30 am
"Murder"....

We don't know all the facts. If they generally follow the story I've read, it is very doubtful the man will be found guilty if (and when) the case goes to trial (which I doubt will ever happen).

You have a right to protect yourself and your property and you SHOULD.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/25/14 - 09:31 am
Let us wait for the facts

I really can't say yet....we don't know all the facts yet.....it seems gun trigger but ......questions reamain..imo

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/25/14 - 09:40 am
Lost in the 50s

cgee just posted one of my favs ...Milsap singing lost in the 50s....maybe he will put it on here too..

We are going to wallyworld..yall need anything?? We like to watch the people there....probably some are watching us too..haha
So much to do & so little time...

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/25/14 - 09:41 am
Tiger withdrawal causes Augusta to suffer.

That's hilarious... There were enough people waiting the the wings to replace any "Dedicated" Tiger fans to ten times over.... One thing I did notice was that there were fewer yells of "In The HOLE" and other outbursts, which are not in good manners on a golf course. It's not a concert people, it's a Gentlemen's game, where you speak quietly out of respect for other golfers not yell across the next fairway about how you hammered that last drive!!

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/25/14 - 09:45 am
"A man was by his car. That

"A man was by his car. That is not a reason to think that he was breaking into it"

No corgimom, that is not what the article said.

From the AJC: "when he saw a man attempting to enter his red Dodge Charger"

He confronted someone who was ATTEMPTING TO ENTER HIS CAR. I would have done the same thing. Then an altercation ensued. We don't know what kind of altercation. This man said he had to defend himself. I don't know, but IT MAY NOT HAVE BEEN MURDER. It COULD have been self defense. I expect a jury will decide. I checked corgimom's crystal ball and it didn't know any more about what really happened than the rest of us.....but it did ignore some parts of the story.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/25/14 - 09:50 am
The rancher

Bundy has stepped in some poopoo...now watch how the media will dissect his bones ....they are going in for the kill...sorta reminds me of P Deen in some ways....

They are experts at this....just like Chris christie's problems...gotta pick them bones clean...don't leave even a morsel of flesh...
You really have to be a tuff son of a gun to last in the world of today..a few on here could make it..hah, only a few..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/25/14 - 09:56 am
coldbeer

You need anything from Walmart...Boost or Depends....I'll get it foryee!!
Hahahha....don't keeel me--♥

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/25/14 - 10:02 am
Apparently the crazy extremes

Apparently the crazy extremes in temperature and weather conditions have torn up the roads all over the U.S. But I-20 from Columbia, SC to here is worse than I've ever seen it. North Augusta's Martintown Road has manholes in the road that might as well be potholes and you can't avoid them without going into another lane. There are plenty of roads around Augusta/Richmond County with manholes not lined up properly with the road level, too, as well as a lot of crumbling in the roads and right next to the shoulder, and potholes have become bigger after the snows and ice storm. Road repairs need to be ongoing for quite awhile. Or the alignment shops and tire repair businesses are going to stay busy and profitable.

BamaMan
BamaMan 04/25/14 - 10:07 am
Riverman

I know exactly the spot you are talking about. That is one crazy intersection. LOVE the beach in Ft Lauderdale.