Rants & Raves

Comments from readers.

DURING THE SUMMER months, “Trooper Terry” Sams would have an opening show at the Imperial Theatre, and he had prizes to distribute to Tarzan and Jane yellers, and whoever got the most raves got the prizes. He also awarded prizes by admission ticket numbers and would award prizes to children. They had 10 shows in the summertime for the children to go to at the Imperial. All you needed was a Kelly wrapper and four Pepsi tops for admission to get in, and grown people enjoyed going to them as much as the children did.

I WANT TO COMMENT on the opinion page on Sunday, “The wrong direction.” Too many Americans are losing or never finding their moral compass. Excellent article. Wonderful. Enjoyed it. You’re absolutely correct. Hit the nail on the head. The best line is, “Where is the straight talk? Where is the compass?” I’d like to see several Sunday follow-ups on this article, maybe educating people who are not parents on how to raise, teach and guide their children.

RAVES AND MORE to Al at The Augusta Chronicle and raves to my delivery person. You’re both going beyond in your service to me. Thank you and blessings.

HERE’S A BIG RAVE to a very nice young man at Fort Gordon, an active-duty soldier named Jones who went out of his way to find a wheelchair for my husband after he had surgery and the clinic he went to didn’t bother to give us a wheelchair to take him out to the car (this is after anesthesia, mind you). What the brilliant medical personnel at the clinic couldn’t figure out, this young man did, and took steps to rectify the situation.

WEST AUGUSTA IS like Atlanta: high-priced, crowded. No room to breathe. No country. Everything is high. You can have west Augusta. We’d rather stay in south Augusta where we can breathe and enjoy ourselves. We experience the best of life. You can have that crowded junk over there in west Augusta, because we don’t want no part of it over here.

TO THE PERSON who was wondering why white police officers discharge their guns more at blacks than whites, because most of those who are causing the problem are also armed.

THE POLICE HAVE been out in full force recently, but don’t expect me to warn you speeders by flashing my lights. That’s as illegal as your speeding, and you should know better. Slow down and stop endangering the rest of us.

dpatt.marine1
dpatt.marine1 04/18/14 - 04:45 pm
To the poster complaining

To the poster complaining about West Augusta being crowded, that area is not going to slow down anytime soon, as a matter of fact since you compared it to Atlanta, it's density should increase, look the point is if you are uncomfortable now imagine 10 years from now when thousands of new people settle here as a result of the army cyber command and defense companies that will follow, then it will still feel like a fraction of what Atlanta feels like.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/18/14 - 06:13 pm
Not illegal

Federal judge rules drivers allowed to flash headlights to warn of speed traps:

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/18/14 - 06:46 pm
Cliven Bundy

There were some comments yesterday about Reid, Chinese investors, etc. Reid's son is involved with them, but to the best I can ascertain, it is in a different place than Bundy's ranch/BLM grazing land.

I would do some research before stating it as fact that Reid wants the land for personal reasons.

That doesn't change the hatefulness of his unconscionable rhetoric about the situation.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/19/14 - 04:00 am
West Augusta

Speaking of West Augusta being overcrowded, something has to be done about the traffic. I was out yesterday afternoon and it was unreal on Bobby Jones from I-20 and Washington Rd. going out to Evans. The infrastructure can't keep up with the growth.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/19/14 - 04:34 am
Reid Should Wash Bundy's Feet

IAD, I’d still blame Harry Reid for not taking up for his Nevada rancher citizen up against the feds. The quiche eating liberal has never rubbed shoulders with the people in a Waffle House who make this country work. He encourages illegal aliens and calls hard working ranchers terrorists. He’s the law breaker. Harry Reid should wash Clive Bundy's feet.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/19/14 - 04:58 am
The person writing about the

The person writing about the moral compass...I did not get a chance to read that article. But I get the gist of it from what you wrote. Reminds me of a very self-righteous woman I work with. She goes on and on about how religious and "right" she is, the "high road" she walks on. Yet, if you listen in between the words she says, you'll hear how she admits to stealing from her own church's food pantry and purchasing known stolen or bootlegged items from people and places she knows here in Augusta! Wellllll, what the heck happened to HER moral compass?? Yeah, people would THINK she's a great example for youth, but the longer you're with her, the more you learn what people like her are really like! I wouldn't let her babysit my grand-dog! My point is that people talk a big talk, but you really have to get to know them before you pin a high morals-medal on them!

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/19/14 - 07:01 am
Reid

He called the ranchers domestic terrorists....does he ever call illegals that??

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/19/14 - 07:13 am
Trouble again

So now they say the healthncare site could have been compromised....to change passwords...duh..
Can they sue the gov if this is so....is anything SAFE anymore?

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/19/14 - 07:16 am
West Augusta

You don't want it to get like Atlanta...it is almost impossible to navigate at certain times of day....285 is a nightmare MOST of the time...get that splost money working on your roads NOW...more important than a jazz cafe...

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/19/14 - 07:36 am
OK ... IF ... it is illegal to flash your lights, then

quote me the OCGA section of law.

Hint before you waste a lot of time:
In February 2014, the American Civil Liberties Union sued a town over a ticket for a motorist flashing lights as a warning.

U.S. District Judge Henry E. Autrey ruled it is OK to flash your lights.

Quoting parts of the case transcript: "Flashing ones lights sends a message to bring one's driving in conformity with the law — whether it be by slowing down, turning on one's own headlamps at dusk or in the rain, or proceeding with caution."

Also mentioned during the trial:
ACLU.... Law Enforcements stated goal is to control the speed and maintain a safe travel environment. To ticket a person for warning others to obey the Speed Limit indicates the Speed Enforcement was based on Revenue and not about controlling the speed and maintaining a safe travel environment.

Also cited was the US Constitutional clause of Freedom of speech, expression and etc...

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/19/14 - 07:54 am
Riverman

There isn't much you could say about Harry Reid that I wouldn't agree with. I don't think I've ever had such negative feeling towards any political leader in my life. (in other words, I wouldn't lose any sleep if he choked on his steak tonight)

However, I strongly believe people should stick to facts; as it gives your political opponents some cover when you repeat rumor, make false claims, etc. "It's the same old lies" bit.

harley_52
harley_52 04/19/14 - 08:01 am
The Traffic Flows Nicely...

...and smoothly, in lovely Augusta-Richmond County. I suppose if there's any area that is getting a little bottle-necked it's North Richmond County, near the Columbia County line. We love our neighboring County to the North, but understand why some might seek respite from the traffic nightmares and the ubiquitous strip malls.

Please feel free to visit, shop, and dine at our fine restaurants and enjoy our arts, museums, and the lovely downtown area. Don't forget the Riverwalk for relaxation and the beautiful scenery. ARC welcomes all guests and we hope our warmth and friendship just might rub off and help make the whole state a better place.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/19/14 - 08:10 am
Good Morning America.

The Bundy's Ranch issue is just the TIP of the iceberg. Wait till the attempt of the 2nd Amendment is killed and buried.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/19/14 - 08:10 am
Can't get there from here

Can't get there from here Harley, LOL. Just yesterday I had to turn around at Club Car, cut through Brown Feed and Seed to Old Evans, just to get to the Earth Fare lot. Traffic was basically crawling from Mullin's Crossing in both directions.

harley_52
harley_52 04/19/14 - 08:29 am
IAD...

harley_52
harley_52 04/19/14 - 08:42 am
Harry Reid....

....lives like a king. Not bothering with a house where most of his subjects reside, he chooses instead to live in the swanky Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Washington D.C. like the royalty he fancies himself to be.

Most of these people no longer resemble what the Founding Fathers envisioned as the Representatives of the people and the States. They no longer view themselves as the voices of their constituents, but rather their lords, their masters and, as often as not, their enemies.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/19/14 - 08:54 am
A true southern song....

Pass the biscuits please.....why can't they make them like this....

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/19/14 - 08:55 am
Comrade Reid calls Standoff Guardians Domestic Terrorists

He was quick to point out the firepower, dogs, horses, and etc.. that the Standoff Guardians had. and labeled them

DOMESTIC TERRORISTS.

It is my opinion the Standoff Guardians also armed with their Internet Smartphones, Sat-Phones, CB radios, 2 & 10 meter communications, cameras and other documenting devices, likely stopped the Fed's from another Ruby Ridge, Waco etc. incident from happening.

Comrade Reid failed to mention WHY the Fed's:
* showed up Armed for a war before the Standoff Guardians even
arrived?
* started removing cattle without court order or authority?
* stated they were to engage in an arrest process, armed like a small battle force, without an arrest warrant?

There so many things that stink about this whole mess, like:
* Comrade Reid's sons deal with Red China on property, that numerous NEWS sources say is Public Grazing Land.
* Like the Obama Admin & EPA declaring Cattle the worst Global Warming harm to the environment. Then Fines and Taxes started popping up and then this cattle ranch is targeted.

BIG QUESTIONS:

Who authorized a Small Government Military Equipped battle force
to deploy for Arrest?

Who authorized the seizure of private property without a court order?

Who authorized the by-pass of the court system?

Who will be held accountable under US Constitutional law for the misuse of power and etc.?

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/19/14 - 09:00 am
BTW: CG on the attempts to kill the 2nd Amendment.

America will only put with so much.

It is almost like certain political groups are pushing for a National public disturbance. To weaken the USA, thus allowing our enemies an opportunity to attack a weaken America.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/19/14 - 09:06 am
Azaleas are blooming like crazy

My flowers are popping out--the green grass is growing--by golly I think spring is here...aaahhh...now I need MORE flowers to put out --I know hubby is excited about that!!
I love love this time of year...just because I can't breathe because of pollen is not important...we females have to keep COLOR in our life...left to ya guys we would all be dark & dead colors..

This is my useless post & much sweeter than the negative news in the paper....I need to dig in the dirt....stir some this am..have a great day.

happychimer
19624
happychimer 04/19/14 - 09:26 am
I drive the speed limit or 5

I drive the speed limit or 5 miles over. I will not warn speeders of cops up the road, because they should not be speeding in the first place. Following me too close will not make me go faster either.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/19/14 - 09:34 am
It Is Your Right

as long as you are in the Right Lane!

happychimer
19624
happychimer 04/19/14 - 09:42 am
I prefer the right lane, and

I prefer the right lane, and if I am in the left lane, I move over when someone is driving faster than I am. If the right lane pavement is badly damaged I will get in the left lane. If I am going to make a left turn I get in the left lane when I get a chance. If traffic is heavy on roads such as Wrightsboro Road, I get in the left lane to avoid drivers turning right and city buses. Everyone can't be in the right lane.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/19/14 - 09:45 am
Harley told IAD, "You may

Harley told IAD, "You may have to cross the river near Lincolnton and come down the SC side to North Augusta and enter from the East. :)"

You mean from North Richmond County? :)

happychimer
19624
happychimer 04/19/14 - 09:46 am
As you probably know, a lot

As you probably know, a lot of time drivers will go 10 or 15 m/h below the speed limit in both lanes on Wrightsboro Road.

happychimer
19624
happychimer 04/19/14 - 09:47 am
Where is countyman?

Where is countyman?

countyman
countyman 04/19/14 - 10:06 am
Beautiful day in Richmond County

Happychimer.. Good morning!!!!

The traffic and bottlenecks along the Peach Orchard/Hwy 25 corridor will significantly get worse in the future too. The growth will spread from South Augusta all the way to the city limits of Hephzibah..

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/19/14 - 10:12 am
Somebody must be dissing

Somebody must be dissing Richmond County traffic jams? They have traffic jams more impressive than Charleston, Columbia or Savannah. The Augusta traffic jams are more on a par with Birmingham and Charlotte. In South Augusta, in front of the coming Five Guys, so much traffic will be there in a few years, another lane will be needed.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/19/14 - 10:13 am
Yes countyman,

the growth is just overwhelming!

happychimer
19624
happychimer 04/19/14 - 10:53 am
Good morning countyman and

Good morning countyman and good morning to all.