Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RAVE TO THE DRIVERS who stopped at the light on Wrightsboro Road at Bobby Jones as I absentmindedly turned left on the green light. I was on a motorcycle, and I thank you for not running me over. I apologize.

FOR THE 2012 TAX YEAR, we could claim medical expenses that were over 2 percent of our adjusted gross income. For the 2013 tax year, we can claim medical expenses that are over 10 percent of our income. Yet, President Obama continues to tell the American people that he did not raise taxes.

THIS IS A RANT FOR all the churches that advertise that they want to give food away to people that need it. Then when you call them, they give you the third degree and don’t want to give it to you.

WHY DON’T THE politicians that are going to repeal Obamacare tell us what they’re going to replace it with. I don’t think they have a plan.

THIS IS A RANT FOR every member of Congress. They ought to watch the TV series Undercover Boss and maybe, just maybe, they can come back and get in touch with the real world and the hardworking people of this country.

THIS IS A RANT FOR the Augusta National talking about how much they miss Tiger Woods. I took my daughter there and his profanity was so bad I promised her I would never take her back until you people did something about these young golfers and the profanity and the little tantrums they throw.

THIS IS A RANT FOR The Augusta Chronicle because you won’t print the truth. If you really want to know what’s going on at the Charlie Norwood VA, I can tell you. If you’re not black, you can’t get any help. The majority of the people who work there are black. The majority of their patients are black. And if you’re white, you get put on the back burner. Everybody’s talking about race discrimination. Let’s talk about a little discrimination at the VA. Why don’t you guys print the truth?

dannyw7
dannyw7 04/11/14 - 10:07 pm
Rant for the Georgia Legislature

The Georgia Legislature denies a bill allowing the medical use of marijuana but passes a bill allowing rednecks to carry a gun to Church. What an embarrassment! Remember this when you cast your votes this year.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/12/14 - 01:55 am
dannyw, the only thing we

dannyw, the only thing we need to remember is who inserted their pet project onto the mj bill, which made it not passable.

Young Fred
Young Fred 04/12/14 - 02:55 am
dannyw7

What in God's name does one have to do with the other?

Young Fred
Young Fred 04/12/14 - 03:01 am
quite dining

is an endangered species. Never fails, I find a new restaurant with great food, come back a few weeks latter, and it's like trying to eat in the middle of a flash mob.

It goes back to plain 'ole common manners, and consideration for others - which is to say - there "ain't none"!

Young Fred
Young Fred 04/12/14 - 03:15 am
The guy ranting

about the VA is bringing to light an uncomfortable truth, shhhhh, something we're not supposed to talk about.

Bureaucracy has been taken over by people of all races that have one thing in common, that is many (not all) but many people with a chip on their shoulder. You can deny it, but you'd be lying!

I challenge you to approach any government organization, weather it be the SS office, the DMV, the VA, DSS, Unemp Office, the school system, or even the post office, and you'll notice the same thing... that is since the 2008 election of Obama, government workers have taken an anti public attitude. They forget it's not Obama who they work for!

geecheeriverman
1914
geecheeriverman 04/12/14 - 05:12 am
Ranter#5

Go back to what we had. We had the best medical care in the world, until OBAMACARE screwed it up.

iaaffg
1931
iaaffg 04/12/14 - 05:29 am
good luck finding any place,

good luck finding any place, be it store or restaurant, that doesn't insist on assaulting the consumer's eardrums when they come to shop or dine. i would prefer no music at all to 99 9/10% of the garbage you hear coming out of the speakers.
it appears that reverse discrimination has become the norm. good luck going to ft gordon and finding a white worker. if you do, chances are they are hidden away somewhere in a back room. may as well get used to it, but here's a thought: if you are treated with less than respect or ignored by staff when you go into a store or wherever, just turn around and leave, do not patronize those places. hit 'em in the wallet, where it hurts the most. if i have to, i will order stuff from the internet just so i don't have to put up with the sulky, sullen, entitlement attitude that is appallingly displayed by so many workers these days. go to a certain discount store, and most of the people working there look like they've been handed a death sentence. they slouch, they shuffle, they blatantly ignore the customer and forget about a 'good morning, how are you' from any of 'em. if this is what the management of these places want for workers, well, you can have 'em, but you can't have my hard-earned dollars that the government was so kind to leave me after raping my paycheck. amazon, here i come!
what can replace obamacare? nothing! go get a job, work, and pay your own dang health insurance, stop looking to the government to do everything for your sorry butt. how much are you gonna love the government when they next intrude into your home and tell you what to watch on the tube, what to surf on the 'net, how to raise your kids, what to eat, what to wear? be careful what you wish for, fool, you just may get it and then the light bulb will finally go on in your middling little cow brain.

jimmymac
jimmymac 04/12/14 - 07:34 am
RANTER #4

If you're going hat in hand asking for a handout you do what they ask or find a way to feed yourself. They have a duty to make sure some moocher isn't scamming the system and is truly in need and not just pulling a fast one.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/12/14 - 07:59 am
Goooo Bubba

Gooo Freddie Couples....goooo outlet mall, wait a minute, I'm losing my thought here...

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/12/14 - 08:08 am
Who can't handle the truth

The Augusta Chronicle DOES print the truth....but, when they do & we comment, the posters cry.....you are picking on me, stop with the negatives...put tape over yo big mouth....so it goes...so, my dear, everything is rosy in the neighborhood....let's skip & hold hands now.:)

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/12/14 - 08:24 am
Annual Invasion

I must give credit where it is deserved. This years plan for traffic is working. I can't say it's easy but MUCH better than in the past. Well, not easy for those of us on Berkmans Rd, but all overall good job. And don't forget to thank the cops from all over for doing a great job.

Note to seenit.... Mickelson is the man, but he needs to get it together fast.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/12/14 - 08:28 am
Sorry my truck driving man

Mickelson is toast this year...baaaa waaa

BamaMan
BamaMan 04/12/14 - 08:37 am
Restaurants

I am SO in agreement with loud music in restaurants! I've asked it to be turned down myself, and they did...for awhile. My guess is, it's intentional to have people stay less time and have faster turnover.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/12/14 - 08:36 am
What was the cut this year?

What was the cut this year? Is Phil even around this weekend?

EnoughAlready2
EnoughAlready2 04/13/14 - 08:45 am
VA Rant:

My resident physician friend has worked on/off at the VA for a few years and tells me that written "doctors orders" are looked at as "doctors suggestions". I have also heard if you want a nursing job with great benefits and little desire to actually CARE for your patients, you need to apply at the VA. The hospital has been nicknamed "the VA-Spa". My work involves caring for vets when they are released from the hospital and all I hear are horror stories about the VA in-patient experience. It's egregious that our Vets are treated in such a manner.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/12/14 - 08:40 am
No makee & no playee

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- After another inexplicable triple-bogey -- accomplished for the second day in a row without a penalty stroke -- Phil Mickelson was left to ponder the possibility of missing a 36-hole cut at the Masters for the first time in 17 years.

That possibility became reality as the 43-year-old Mickelson finished with a 73 to run his 36-hole total to 5-over 149, which finished outside the top 50 and ties when second-round play was completed Friday.

Asked if he might watch the tournament over the weekend if not at Augusta National, Mickelson said: "Probably, yeah. It's an exciting tournament, I probably will. It (would) kind of be my punishment."

[+] Enlarge
Andrew Redington/Getty ImagesPhil Mickelson's run of 16 consecutive cuts made, which was one behind the 17 straight made by Tiger Woods, ended with a sloppy Round 2.

Mickelson was 12 shots behind leader Bubba Watson.

bigclaude
bigclaude 04/12/14 - 09:23 am
Medical Expenses

Ranter #3. The threshold for deductible Medical Expenses went from 7.5 % to 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income. It was not 2%. You are getting that confused with Misc. expenses.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/12/14 - 09:49 am
Taxes On INCOME.

The Obama's made almost $500K and only paid about 21% in taxes.
WAY FAR below what they wanted the rest of America making over $250K+ to pay.

SPECIAL NOTE:
That is on declared INCOME only.

WHAT THEY DID NOT PAY TAXES ON.
was their combined NET Worth which $16.8 million.

Of that 16.8M net worth, About 16.3 Million they avoided paying taxes on.

Since the average income for a Black American is $33,460.
It is just another line in my growing list of confusion as to why 97% of Black America and 42% of liberal Americans relate with this RICH 5/8 White Socialist President
?

For source of Black-American Income information See:
is

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/12/14 - 09:45 am
Just shut down the VA

Give the vets commercial insurance, it is a win-win. We save money, they get better care.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/12/14 - 09:53 am
Obamacare replacement

The Republican House sent a number of proposals to the Senate, where Harry Reid sat on them.

There is no question that we had some issues with the previous system, such as portability, pre-existing conditions, etc. ; but those could have been easily fixed with a law just addressing those things. Medicaid could have been marginally expanded to catch a few more on the lower income scale. The rest? They don't have insurance because they choose not to.

nvkarp@gmail.com
nvkarp@gmail.com 04/12/14 - 10:56 am
Quiet background music for dining....

Regarding this comment: "I’D SURE LOVE TO find a restaurant that plays nice, quiet background music so that I can have a conversation during dinner without having to shout over the intrusive noise of the “music.” Some relaxing piano music would be great. I don’t need to hear rock, country, opera, big band, jazz, etc. Just some real quiet instrumental music would be terrific. Does anyone know of such a place in the Aiken and Augusta area?"

My husband, Bill (BillKarpJazz) has a special program of background jazz he calls "jazak" which he performs in restaurants in the CSRA. The volume of the music is totally adjustable from "whisper-to-whatever," so if you have a favorite restaurant, you might suggest that they contact Bill... www.billkarpjazz.com billkarpjazz@gmail.com (762) 233-7205 It is the Tony Bennett-type classic American jazz that people love...although he does perform in large spaces, he often performs the "Jazak" version of this music (he invented the term) in quieter, smaller venues, such as intimate restaurants and homes...I know he is always willing to do a first "demonstration" evening at a reduced cost...

corgimom
corgimom 04/12/14 - 11:13 am
Nocnoc, nobody pays taxes on

Nocnoc, nobody pays taxes on their combined net worth, what on Earth are you talking about?

You pay taxes on income, not assets. Everybody does that, I don't know why you think the Obamas shouldn't.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 04/12/14 - 11:19 am
Pleasant music, nice restaurant

where you can hear yourself think and are also able to carry on a quiet conversation - Augsburg Haus in Evans, on Washington Road, across from WalMart. Yes, it's a bit further to drive but it is well worth it. The food is original German (Bavarian) - cooked by a German chef who knows what he is doing, nothing frozen - fresh! The music is low key and very appealing, no rap or jazz, but calming pleasant melodies. If anyone wants an experience in good food they won't soon forget - drive to Evans and the Augsburg Haus, you won't regret it! Been there - done that! And will do it again.

corgimom
corgimom 04/12/14 - 11:56 am
But nocnoc, don't believe

But nocnoc, don't believe that nonsense about their net worth. They filed financial forms last year that said that they are worth between $1-6 million, which isn't much.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/12/14 - 12:28 pm
Isn't much????

I can only dream of being worth between 1-6 million. Maybe one day.

KSL
KSL 04/12/14 - 12:33 pm
They couldn't pin it down a

They couldn't pin it down a little closer?

KSL
KSL 04/12/14 - 12:35 pm
I am pretty sure noc ment

I am pretty sure noc ment income from the investments.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/12/14 - 01:36 pm
SeenitB4 @ 7:59 AM

"Gooo Freddie Couples"

Now that Phil Micolson is out of it, I too would like to see Freddie win it!! It is a wonder how often "the old timers" have been doing soooo well in the last several Majors!!

Goat project looking good

In just more than a week since nine goats were assigned to eat overgrown vegetation at an Augusta detention pond, officials and area residents are already noticing a difference.