Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

LAST WEEK I HEARD a GRU student saying she was required to go to a play with lots of profanity in it. And this week I read that GRU is showing a film called Transgendered Tuesdays. What is going on?

I WISH SOMEONE WOULD tell the media that the Masters Tournament went on before Tiger Woods and it will continue for a long time after Tiger Woods. Thank goodness he didn’t put his diseased body in Augusta. Hurray. Thank you, Lord.

THIS NONSENSE ABOUT Ike’s Tree is not important. Our farmers are being shot at by police because they can’t use the grassland for their cows. And somebody else is being arrested that’s selling milk. Raw milk.

THIS IS A RAVE TO THE gentleman that wrote in The Augusta Chronicle this week welcoming everybody to Augusta for the Masters Golf Tournament. He’s thanking a former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and all the other tournament committee members for regulating this spectacle. We welcome you. That’s admirable to give Ms. Condoleezza Rice first credit, who is a new provisional invitee member, but I think he should have thanked Mr. Billy Payne for such a well orchestrated organization.

I HAD MY FIRST VISIT to the Masters on Tuesday. The grounds and facilities were beautiful, all the employees were very friendly. The only problem was all the smoking around me, especially the sickly smell of cigar smoke. I cannot believe they still allow public smoking everywhere. Really a bummer for a nonsmoker.

CAN ANY NEWS station report the news. Then again what is news? The biggest news in Augusta this week is the Masters Tournament. A local station had a report of what people were wearing. National news is who’s coming out of the closet today and announcing it on national news as the host for the morning show. They can finally breathe that we all know they have partners. Looks like that closet was very cramped.

Now, is this news?

RICHMOND COUNTY COMMISSIONERS need to resign and we need some decent people need to run who are qualified for the job. With the ones we have we are not growing.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/10/14 - 10:41 pm
Falling Down (1993 Michael Douglas)

I guess that one ranter complaining about the news just had one of those days where he/she had to ventilate publicly. When the TV station reported what people were wearing at the Masters it was either send in a rant or throw something at the TV. The Chronicle does a lot to prevent violence.

geecheeriverman
2074
geecheeriverman 04/11/14 - 05:29 am
ranter # 5

Smoking at the ANGC has always been and will always be. As much space, and as wide open as the course is, one would think you would just walk away. I play golf 2-3 times per week and lots of smokers are all around the course, but I don't smell it and I respect these people's right to smoke. I suggest you look for something else to cry about. Your right to complain, does not trump ones right to smoke.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/11/14 - 06:27 am
Rant About Condoleeza Rice

Ummm, is this some kind of skirmish within the membership of the Augusta National? Condoleeza Rice is still considered a “new provisional invitee?” An interesting phrase that indicates a degree of familiarity with the ANC workings. Maybe the ranter misses the historical significance of Rice becoming a member in his desire to heap accolades on Billy Payne?

corgimom
corgimom 04/11/14 - 07:15 am
There is a difference between

There is a difference between playing golf on a course and having 40,000 people at the Master's. I've been there, I noticed it too.

I think eventually they will have a smoking section.

Airman
Airman 04/11/14 - 07:52 am
Public Smoking

Were you drinking, wearing strong perFUME? Well the smell of either of these can be offensive. Smokers have rights. Cigars have been a long tradition at the National. Dont like the smoke then move on. No I do not smoke but I respect the rights of others, we have had far too many rights taken from us in this country, so please think before you ask for someone elses rights to be removed. You could skip the Masters and go to the Hawaiian Open where smoking is banned, our Presidents so called home state. In Hawaii they are passing smoking laws constantly. Many beaches ban smoking, the condo that I frequent bans smoking on the property. Has it helped anyone we do not know? Has it hurt anyone? Yes.
Those condos are harder to rent. I lost three clients, two stayed for two weeks at a time and one stayed for six. They were never allowed to smoke in the unit, but could use the balconey, now they cant. Sorry about the long vent but I am tired of seeing peoples rights being taken away. After all this country was founded on freedom

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/11/14 - 08:52 am
"I cannot believe they still

"I cannot believe they still allow public smoking everywhere."

I cannot believe people will attend one of the most tradition steeped events in the world and then criticize it.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/11/14 - 09:26 am
What he said

"It's a private club with the freedoms and traditions associated with PRIVATE property. You are welcome to NOT attend."

I am amused at the pretentiousness exhibited by some of the younger crowd with the stogies, but hey, it is their dime.

Jake
Jake 04/11/14 - 11:23 am
Yeah...

....I don't care for the odor of a stogie or a cig. Pipe tobacco is not as bad and weed smoke causes a rush of nostalgia to wash over me as I hurry to find some Cheetos. So what do I do? Move to another spot if I can.
Some folks are obnoxious with their habits and don't care. I am trying to think what it is I do that would cause someone's olfactory organ to go haywire and the only thing I can think of is when there is breaking of the wind in a silent way that causes pansies to wilt and individuals to scatter.

The Savage Madame
The Savage Madame 04/11/14 - 11:25 am
Smoking

Smoking should be allowed at any outdoor event. I don't smoke, but others have rights just like I do, and I want their rights upheld.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/11/14 - 11:46 am
"breaking of the wind in a

"breaking of the wind in a silent way that causes pansies to wilt and individuals to scatter."

Yeh.....now there ought to be a LAW against that. I mean, they want to start making farmers pay for cow farts so I guess it won't be too long before we will be paying fart police to pass out tickets to people who do that too.

IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG
IMRIGHTYOUREWRONG 04/11/14 - 12:33 pm
Clarification

No one has a “right” to smoke. Individuals have the privilege to smoke. This is how smoking bans can be enacted by law. Rights are absolute, privileges can be revoked. The ranter’s sentiments are just. With that said, the National is a private course that ordains its own governance, so course policy is ultimately its own decision. I do suspect, that in time, it will amend its current policy pertaining to smoking to some degree to accommodate the progressive changes constantly being made to curb smoking.

allhans
allhans 04/11/14 - 12:33 pm
I think rant # 4 has a great

I think rant # 4 has a great dislike for Condoleeza and that it has nothing to do with the ANC.

happychimer
happychimer 04/11/14 - 02:18 pm
What about people with

What about people with allergies or asthma? What about those who can be sent to the hospital because of cigarette and cigar smoke? What about my right to breathe without inhaling your smoke? I don't have asthma, but I have family members who do. What about their rights to breathe? I can be outside and can smell cigarette smoke from any smoker within about 60 feet of me.

corgimom
corgimom 04/11/14 - 02:48 pm
Airman, no, I wasn't drinking

Airman, no, I wasn't drinking or wearing strong perfume.

I don't do either.

Although I don't know what either one has to do with smoking.

Contrary to your belief, many people don't do either of those things.

corgimom
corgimom 04/11/14 - 03:07 pm
I am very surprised that the

I am very surprised that the ACES hasn't written an editorial about the big controversy in Charlotte, where a nun came to speak at a Catholic high school, and all you-know-what broke loose over her remarks.

The nun has been sent on a sabbatical, and it has the whole Catholic community in an uproar.

I wasn't there, obviously, but if the reports are true, the things that she was saying about single parent homes, sexuality, and gay and lesbians were just plain nutty.

The bishop has weighed in on it, the priest that is the head of the school tore into his congregation about it, it's a huge topic right now.

Darby
Darby 04/11/14 - 03:16 pm
Your right to complain, does not trump ones right to smoke.

And one's right to smoke doesn't not, necessarily trump common sense, although it often certainly seems to.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/11/14 - 03:50 pm
Charlotte Controversy

Thanks for telling us about that, Corgi. I looked it up, and found this interesting commentary:

No Freedom of Speech in Charlotte

Man, they shut her up fast. No one can get a transcript or a recording of her speech.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/11/14 - 04:37 pm
An aside

"Trooper" Terry Sams will be missed! Many of the commenters remember him as "Trooper Terry" and the great memeries that are in our minds about him!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/11/14 - 04:41 pm
dichotomy @ 11:46

"Yeh.....now there ought to be a LAW against that. I mean, they want to start making farmers pay for cow farts so I guess it won't be too long before we will be paying fart police to pass out tickets to people who do that too"

I could not help but to crack up into uncontrolable laughing!!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/11/14 - 10:57 pm
If it was just the smoker

If it was just the smoker inhaling the smoke, it would be just fine. But it isn't. And you can't always get away from it. I don't like to be dosed with perfume either, but I know smoke can damage my lungs, stink up my clothes, skin and hair, and negatively affect the quality of my life on the spot and down the line and I don't know that perfume will do that. If you want to smoke, smoke in a confined space where you are the only one inhaling it and don't inflict it on anyone else. We go to outdoor events to inhale fresh air, not smoke. The high pollen counts are challenge enough for anybody's breathing.

corgimom
corgimom 04/12/14 - 12:33 am
LL, according to what's been

LL, according to what's been widely reported, she said things like children from single parent homes were more likely to be gay and lesbian (which is a lie) and that (m-word) could influence somebody to be gay (which is another lie) and unbelievable stuff like that.

Very few parents want their children to hear nonsense like that, especially from a person in authority, and they don't want talks given to their children about sexuality unless they give their knowledge and consent- which is the law, by the way. Nobody knew that she was going to say that.

But now the bishop is in a quandary.

If he says that yes, what she said WAS Church teaching, he will have a nuclear war on his hands.

If he says no, that WASN'T Church teaching, then the Church will come down on him for that.

But the fact that they cancelled all the nun's speaking engagements and packed her off on a sabbatical pretty much says it all.

Young Fred
Young Fred 04/12/14 - 03:50 am
corgimom

regardless of what's been "widely reported", that's not what the nun actually said.

She spoke to certain FACTS about percentages of children raised in a home without a mother and a father.

Which is ... the FACT is, that children that don't have both a mother and a father are more likely to succumb to a whole bunch of social ills.

That's not to say all (I cringe that I even have to point this out), but that the chances of a child's success in life is directly related to their parental situation. The ideal situation being both a mother and a father.

Facts are facts. The facts are indisputable. You can find certain anecdotal circumstances where kids are better served out of the norm, but the vast majority are better served with a traditional two parent home is INDISPUTABLE! check it out, research it!

Airman
Airman 04/13/14 - 08:54 am
Cogimom

I was referring to the ranter about perfume and alcohol . Some women and men wear so much you cannot breathe, same with overindulgence in alcohol , it come from your breath and pores and permeates the air like smoke. Let Private clubs make their rules and if the rules are not liked stay home. I mentioned I don't smoke or drink anymore but all of the above ins annoying in excess, but I did spend a few hours a the National this week and am no worse the wear. I went to see the beauty mainly, not some grown men chasing a little white ball with a funny stick, stick with a meat cleaver attached, but hey thats why we have many sports . Good aay