Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

WE NEED SOME serious help in Richmond County. Our commissioners, Board of Education and the sheriff’s office are disappointing. I just heard on the news more people have left Richmond to move to Columbia County. That does not surprise me? Deans Bridge Road, Peach Orchard, Mike Padgett and Gordon Highway areas are being ignored. Why? Because the mayor and commissioners want to improve downtown only.

WHY DO PEOPLE feel they must drive with a dog sitting in their lap? Yesterday I was nearly run off the road by a lady with a lab sitting up front with her. She was so busy trying to get him under control, she drifted into my lane. Someone is going to have a serious accident being distracted with dog sitting up front. Also when did it become OK to take dogs into stores? A few days ago I saw someone in Lowe’s with two golden retrievers. Can’t wait to see the lawsuit if someone gets bitten by a dog that shouldn’t be there in the first place.

RANT FOR ALVIN Mason, not a good choice for the position of mayor. Hoping people do not reward his arrogant attitude and history of domestic violence with a vote.

OUR VOTES FOR THE position of mayor must be taken seriously, and spent on a person that will work with and represent all Augustans. Helen Blocker-Adams is the only one on the ballot that has already proven that she is more interested in the future of Augusta and not just one segment of it.

MINIMUM WAGE hike would cut food stamp costs beyond Republicans’ dreams. This something Republicans should be on board.

HEY, HEPHZIBAH PD. We are glad to have you protecting our little town. But, a bit of citizen suggestion here. Quit sitting out on Highway 25 trying to be the State Patrol. We need you elsewhere. To the Hephzibah Bank. Hire a security professional. You need it.

TO BILL KIRBY: JUST remember, the definition of a gentleman is a man who can play the bagpipes, but doesn’t!

THE OBAMA FEEDBACK from his visit with the pope differs from that of the Vatican’s. Now whose version would you believe the one from Obama or the pope? Hint: If you like your plan you can keep your plan!

CAN YOU SAY IMPEACH!!??

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/02/14 - 07:28 pm
Yep You know when you are fighting an Uphill battle

When a Local Media person more or less says the South Side should quit whining about not being treated equal.

Then cites a Park that was built what 9+years ago.
* It is not about a place to play basketball or Tennis or fish.

* It not asking for its own $$M Big Riverwalk business complex off Bennock Mill Road, or a Hotel, $$M or a Convention Center, a $$M parking deck or $10+Million to hand out to businesses downtown.

The South Side just wants a fair shake on repairs, maintenance and a major part of its own 30+/-% collected in Property taxes every year.

NOT ANOTHER ADDED TAX FOR SOMETHING WE
ALREADY HAD FOR FREE BEFORE CONSOLIDATION.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/02/14 - 07:44 pm
HCPD on US 25

Any one looking at the ARC GIS Map will note the Hephzibah City Limits end in the Ditch on the WEST side of US-25 not the EAST side.

For Hephzibah to be able to enforce traffic laws it must be in their jurisdiction. Hephzibah must have a city property on the other side of US-25(EAST SIDE) to be able to enforce traffic laws.

IT DOES NOT.

And Hephzibah does not OWN US-25 last time I checked.

Of course the Official Augusta/Richmond Co. GIS Map could be
wrong. But if GIS ain't wrong, then Hephzibah will have to refund a lot of Ticket fines.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/02/14 - 10:16 pm
Flim Flam artists

Do NOT buy pine straw and have it spread without counting the bales yourself. I've been bilked a couple of times, but when the straw is down, it is he said/she said. Today, I had some straw delivered by a fellow whom a family member recommended. He was supposed to bring 50 for me, 30 for my son, and 10 or so for my mother. He rolled up in a pickup stacked high and I asked how many he had. He claimed 90+ after having a few blown off on the trip.

No way Jose. After they started, I decided to give them a hand; unloading the truck and stacking the bales in the yard. I got to 50, including what they had taken off, then made myself visible until they were done. There were TWO bales left on the truck after I unloaded 50, plus some loose.
There were 10 bales on the yard when they started head scratching, and I commented they had 10 left over, so I owed them for 40. They tried to argue that the 10 were not part of the 50 I had set out, so I had to put on my ugly face.

Again, the lesson is DO NOT HAVE IT SPREAD UNLESS YOU PERSONALLY COUNT THE BALES! Don't believe a string count or any other cockamamie argument they come up with.

Needless to say, my son and mom didn't get their straw today; but my nice guy routine is DONE when dealing with these people.

GRRRR.... I just hate to treat people with mistrust.

thauch12
thauch12 04/03/14 - 12:00 am
Duh.

"I just heard on the news more people have left Richmond to move to Columbia County."

Is anyone honestly surprised by this? It has nothing to do with southside, or westside politics. It has everything to do with the fact that Columbia County has better schools (and I'm talking about EVERY school in the district. Sure, RC has Davidson and AR Johnson but if CC decided to take all its best and brightest and put them in one school you'd get the same result if not better), lower taxes, better public services, and safety. More than anything, the county does not have the same racial bickering that underlies much of the problems on the Augusta Commission (although admittedly there is a bit of the good-ol-boy system left which hopefully will go with the likes of Kay Allen). It's a no-brainer why Columbia County continues to enjoy phenomenal growth.

Airman
Airman 04/03/14 - 06:05 am
Dog in Lowes

Ranter #2 have you ever seen a service dog? Now I do not know this case but I do know my neighbor has a service dog, no he is not blind. Bill has seizures and the dog is trained to get on his right side and bark when he detects a seizure coming. It is the most amazing thing, Bill has no warning from his body but the dog does. Now Bill has time to take adequate precautions when an event is forth coming. The only time this dog barks is when an event is about to take place. Just a thought

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/03/14 - 06:35 am
I wonder

What did Bill Kirby do?

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 04/03/14 - 06:38 am
I admire the new Pope, but

I admire the new Pope, but remember that he oversees an hierarchy where rapists of young boys are shielded from the law, moved around so they can continue to abuse others...and you use your partisan view to impugn the president? Pleeeeeeze.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/03/14 - 06:52 am
Too bad P Morgan has left---NOT!!

He would have a field day with the shooting at Ft Hood...one day we will realize that MOST of the shooters have a mental health problem...

BUT, we will hear endless debates on guns---on & on & on..

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/03/14 - 06:55 am
Just wondering

Will JTF still be able to wheel & deal with Masters tickets......that distance might take a bite outta yo profits...:)

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/03/14 - 07:03 am
seenit

no worries, all set. I have never tried to make a profit off Master's tickets......yet.
But, I can hardly contain myself. One more week!! I love Augusta!

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/03/14 - 07:03 am
Bravos

How bout them Braves!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/03/14 - 07:04 am
Service dogs

I don't mind seeing a service dog anywhere....even driving the car if he obeys the left hand rule....yaknow, stay in right lane except for passing. :)

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/03/14 - 07:24 am
Good Morning from the Broad

Good Morning from the Broad St Canal Coffee, Bar&Grill and Psychaitric Center! Today's happy hour is going to the Dogs! Service Dogs that is, anyone with a legitimate service dog gets their first drink free! (Dog must have a state issued ID) Lunch today is the the Classic Southern Chili Cheese Slaw Dawg served with Tater Logs and an Ice Cold Beer straight from the tap!! So stroll on down the Marion Williams Broad St Skyway or float in on the Alvin Mason Broad St. Canal and join us for a tap or two and a Dawg!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/03/14 - 07:37 am

My mind was stuck on a butterball turkey sandwich, thanks to that poster name....butterman..

Now I'm thinking Varsity chili-slaw dog with onions on the side...& that is what Augusta needs...a Varsity.
You could make a killing if you put it in the right location.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/03/14 - 07:36 am
Gosh

I hope we don't get a poster with the logo....liverman or gizzardman...or some other outlandish name...a mind is a terrible thing to waste yaknow...
Funny how certain words trigger the mind....just like on fb, & you know what I mean coldbeer!

Gotta get ready....so much to do & places to go.

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 04/03/14 - 07:55 am
You know what really grinds my gears...

When people keep bashing Catholic Priests for being child molesters. Yes, some of them did. Was it wrong? YES! They, like the rest of us, are only human and make mistakes. Case in point...
Even though the last link says "terrell-co-truck-driver-sentenced-in-hit-and-run-deaths" it is really about yet another case of a minister abusing his position for his sick perversion of molesting kids. These are just a few examples. So Truth Matters, there you have it. The truth!

corgimom
corgimom 04/03/14 - 08:03 am
Molesting a child is not a

Molesting a child is not a "mistake".

It is calculated and just plain evil.

The victims suffer for the rest of their lives. And their rapists just don't care.

corgimom
corgimom 04/03/14 - 08:05 am
I'm ok with dogs being in

I'm ok with dogs being in Lowe's. It's when they are in the grocery stores that I don't like.

I don't want any dog hiking his leg on my food.

Service dogs are trained not to do that, but a whole bunch of people take dogs in there that are just their pets.

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 04/03/14 - 08:47 am
Corgimom...

You are absolutely right when you say that it is evil. It is indeed and yes the victims do indeed suffer for the rest of their life. I know, I was molested by my father as a young child. I came to grips with it many years ago when I realized it was NOT my fault and he was sick. I forgave him because that is the Christian thing to do and it made ME feel better. I have no doubt in my mind that when he passed, he is now atoning for that sin. That gives me even more peace. On the other hand, some child molesters do make mistakes. Case in point would be the young boy of say of 12 or 13 that molested a young cousin or friend. Being of such a young age and not really knowing what damage they can inflict or the consequences they have wrought. Are you telling me that there is no sorrowful or regretful feelings for what was done? Yes, some are very cold and calculated and they will suffer for their actions whether it be in this life or the next.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/03/14 - 10:41 am
"WE NEED SOME serious help in

"WE NEED SOME serious help in Richmond County."

Believe me, help is NOT on the way. You have already heard they only plan any of them have......."let's get some mo' revenue".

After all, we've got EXPANDED BUS SERVICE, and PAY RAISES, and LEVEE TEARING DOWN, and OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE ON THE TEE AND PARKING DECK to pay for. And BONDS, we've got LOTS OF CONSTRUCTION BONDS to PAY INTERNEST ON. Cut spending.....oh no no no, we can't do that. "Let's get some mo' revenue".

How 'bout ya SOUTHSIDE.....ready to get your PROPERTY TAXES HIKED on that VACANT RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY?

Sweet son
Sweet son 04/03/14 - 10:17 am
Agree with discontentment for Hephzibah Police.

I travel that road sometimes and I too have seen their officers sitting in the median just South of C&S Tire on Highway 25. They are doing nothing for the taxpayers except trying to milk a cash cow.

Someone needs to check with the Department of Public Safety to see if they are authorized to run radar on that stretch of road. Radar/laser cannot be run on streets or roads in Georgia without the Department of Public Safety's approval.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 04/03/14 - 12:48 pm
Pierce Morgan has said many

Pierce Morgan has said many times that guns in the hands of those with mental issues is a dangerous thing, and there needs to be more focus on treating mental illness. By the way, his last statement on his show was "I will be seeing you soon". I think that means he will be back on tv soon.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/03/14 - 01:18 pm
P Morgan back

He can show up anyplace he wishes but I won't be watching him...his voice grates on my nerves...his knowitall attitude stinks IMHO.

KSL
KSL 04/03/14 - 01:33 pm
Me either.

Me either.

dade30906
dade30906 04/03/14 - 02:01 pm
"I just heard on the news

"I just heard on the news more people have left Richmond to move to Columbia a County."But do you know most people live in Columbia County work in Richmond County? Taking jobs from people who live in RichmondSo me saying that, if Richmond County is a vile place to live .Why work in Richmond County? We don't need you. If you move to Columbia County find you a job where you reside at.

justthefacts
justthefacts 04/03/14 - 03:22 pm
dade

"We don't need you." You definitely do need them. The intellectual knowledge you would lose would be devastating. The two counties depend on each other. Embrace each other.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 04/03/14 - 05:12 pm
find you a job where you reside at.

Then what happens to those jobs. Those jobs will move to where the talent is. Do you really want to lose all that revenue that those people from other counties generate while working in Richmond Co? The meals, groceries, home and garden supplies. One follows the other, you may want to really consider the talent pool you'd have left if that happened. A grill in your mouth and sagging pants don't speak highly of qualifications!!

bassmaster
bassmaster 04/03/14 - 05:16 pm
I don't blame anyone for

I don't blame anyone for moving to Columbia County.... The schools are better, the shopping is better, and the commissioners don't have a downtown to put all of the taxpayers money into like ARC....

Kettle donations rise in 2014