Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT TO AUGUSTA Commission member Alvin Mason for not helping south Augusta with getting limbs picked up. A check of Mason’s subdivision revealed there wasn’t a limb nowhere. It’s bad enough that we didn’t get our area cleaned, but Jefferson Electric is adding to the problem with leaving the limbs lying when they trim the power lines. We don’t need you for mayor.

PARKING METERS WERE what killed Broad Street to start with. People shopped at the shopping centers to keep from having to pay to park. It will hurt business. I am against parking meters downtown.

I’M IN FAVOR OF parking meters downtown. I can’t ever find a parking place. If they had to pay they would get their vehicles out of there like they’re supposed to. People park down there all day.

YOUR EDITORIAL WAS excellent. President Obama needs to hit the road and Michelle needs to get lost.

THE HARLEM POLICE chief is not doing that much for the citizens. He is trying to make a name for himself.

I CAN’T BELIEVE someone thinks that homeowners should get out there and sweep the street. The point is that a city this big has only two street sweepers. It just fills up the sewers.

IT WOULD BE nice to have the spring training records in the paper. Baseball deserves as much coverage as basketball and football.

IT’S NICE TO SEE parents caring about their children’s education but you have to be more realistic and consider what is best for the entire system. There is nothing wrong about being nostalgic but you will have to accept the changes that life presents us. The two-room schoolhouse I went to 65 years ago no longer exists. It has long been combined with other nearby schools and has become a better school. Life changes, things change and, more important, the cost of maintaining educational facilities has become astronomically high compared to the past. Taxpayers are having a hard time dealing with all the other things our government is doing.

EVERY TIME I hear the name Jimmy Kimmel, I change the channel.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/31/14 - 07:38 pm
Crossing the line from humor to poor Taste.

Right up front I love to listen to BOB-FM a lot .
BOB's wide music mix and constantly variation is welcome.

But Now
I must take exception with a BOB Station Promo I heard today.
The Promo substitutes "BOB" for "GOD" in the commonly used Meal Prayer.
BOB is Great
BOB is Good....

Well, humor or not it just rubs me the wrong way...

BOB, you're better than this...

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/31/14 - 08:07 pm
To the Alvin Mason / Jefferson Electric Ranter

B.O.B. POLITICKING COMES EARLY
I can see it will be a interesting May 20th campaign lead up already.

Regarding cleaning up Alvin Mason's area before others.
My storm waste was picked up weeks ago. Likely before 20-25% of ARC was. It depends where you are, NOT WHO YOU ARE.

Besides I am sure, Alvin Mason has more brains (I would hope) than to shoot his political career in the foot, leading up election over some tree branches.
=======================

Regarding Jefferson Electric clean up efforts
Before you pop off get you facts right.
Jefferson Electric wad placing leaners, hangers and items that could kill the power again, so that it could be hauled out.

BECAUSE
If they didn't, you be whining in the future when your power went out and how it was Jefferson Electric's fault for not clearing the right-of-way.

I personally think Jefferson Electric & S.C. did a great job quickly handling the storm outage and damages..

The AC should find out who the LAST PERSON is just for the record.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/31/14 - 09:53 pm
Downtown

I travel downtown frequently, and I never have trouble parking. That is because I do not expect to be able to park directly in front of the establishment I first wish to visit. I am willing to walk a few extra feet to their front door.

Parking meters? NO!

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/01/14 - 03:17 am
Columbia County Speculative Warehouse Space A Bust

A few years back Columbia County built a warehouse in the industrial park in Grovetown to attract a manufacturing concern in an effort to create jobs. Well, the thing sat empty for years and now a church has moved in. That's not exactly the intended purpose.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/01/14 - 03:32 am
Good Comment About Schools Changing

That's a realistic assessment of schools closing and combining. We all love the schools we attended as kids, but populations shift and buildings wear out. Have you gone back to the elementary school you attended and visited the lunch room or auditorium? See how tiny it is.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/01/14 - 04:49 am
My Elementary Schools are still standing.

GRACEWOOD
Well the 1960 expansion and Cafeteria is. (2nd Grade Mrs. Greene)
So is the 1970's expansion and so is the 2000's expansion.
However, the 1940's +/- mausoleum was taken down finally around 2005 and replaced with a new building. We camped out many a night on that roof.

Flemming Elementary
I attended 7th Grade there in 1968 (Jimmy Woods & Mr. Banks).
It is still standing, only because it was SOLD to the Alleluia(sp)
Community that made a good school out of it.

My Point
Some school buildings need to go, others still have some life left in them.

BTW:
I wonder if the RCBOE will sell off SEAGO and the other school next to it? Then maybe some group could start a Charter School there?

But, the RCBOE does not want competition.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/01/14 - 06:44 am
THE NEW SOCIALIST MOTTO

"The Best Things in Life are Free for some, and Taxed by others."

JRC2024
JRC2024 04/01/14 - 06:52 am

Thank goodness my school tax will be gone next year. It is $4000 plus of my property tax bill. And I have no children.

Jake
Jake 04/01/14 - 06:54 am
The original…..

…..Sue Reynolds Elementary is still standing but is getting more dilapidated every time I get back to Augusta to visit.
Speaking of visiting, I am enjoying my time here. Lets see, Friday I got soaked and cold playing at Bartram Trail, Sunday I got wind blown at the River Course, and yesterday I got crispy at Applewood. Today will be another nice day at Jones Creek.
It was good to see how crowded Broad St was on Sunday afternoon with everyone enjoying the dining that was available. I remember how deserted it used to be many years ago.
I had not realized before how large Magnolia Cemetery was. Too bad it was padlocked so you could not wander around but I can understand why they do it.
Augusta is a lovely spot this time of year and I am sure the Masters visitors will enjoy themselves as I am enjoying it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/01/14 - 07:01 am
Changing the look in Gwinnett

Something is happening here...

Many of our empty warehouse shopping centers that have been vacant for years have been bought up......guess what? They are thriving & bustling places of business now, thanks to many Asians buyers...it seems kinda odd at times to see the store names that I can't read BUT who cares.....they are making smiles outta frowns & keeping this economy popping.
Some shopping centers are owned 100% by Asians....they are well maintained & thriving.
BTW, the smartest kids in this neighborhood are the Asians.....what are the Americans missing? Think about it!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/01/14 - 07:09 am
Jake

I've always thought that Augusta was the prettiest city in the US at this time of year....especially around Forest Hills---Walton way--in all the ole areas of town....some yards look like postcards they are so beautiful----& the fragrance, wow, takes my breath away.♥

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/01/14 - 07:11 am
JRC2024

"And I have no children."

Do ya want some? I can round up a few for ya! :)

JRC2024
JRC2024 04/01/14 - 07:17 am
no thanks B4. The flowers in

no thanks B4. The flowers in the email were so pretty. I sent them on. You were right, only God could make things like that.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/01/14 - 07:21 am

You are so welcome my friend..

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/01/14 - 08:51 am
Wow. Are there any lengths to

Wow. Are there any lengths to which this tyrant won't reach to circumvent the constitution?

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/01/14 - 09:42 am
Rant about First Family

NOW, IS that any way to talk about The First Family?? (LOL)

WHERE IS Giantsallday??

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 04/01/14 - 09:52 am
Parking Metters

"I’M IN FAVOR OF parking meters downtown. I can’t ever find a parking place. If they had to pay they would get their vehicles out of there like they’re supposed to. People park down there all day"

Some people (shoppers) want and need to stay for hours at a time. If the parking meters are a done deal, then they should be for all day parking.

Marinerman1
Marinerman1 04/01/14 - 10:59 am
@RM1 - Church

While you are correct, in that the space is not being used for its original plan, @ least someone is using it. They are paying rent, so it is not a sucking chest wound for the County. This is the problem with speculation building. Sometimes you build it, and they don't come.

jimmymac
jimmymac 04/01/14 - 02:14 pm
METERS

That's a great idea on how to improve business in downtown Whoever came up with this gem of an idea? Obviously no one who ever ran a business.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 04/01/14 - 02:46 pm
@Riverman1

That space in Grovetown where Warren Baptist has moved in used to be an Owens Minor distribution type center - it was there for many years and I believe they closed up a year or so ago. I think the warehouse spec property you're thinking is the one that is on Wrightsboro Rd near GIW.

corgimom
corgimom 04/01/14 - 03:46 pm
That's what the parking decks

That's what the parking decks were built for, so that employees and people that were going to be there for a long time, could park as long as they needed.

Too bad that nobody uses them for that purpose.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 04/01/14 - 05:07 pm
I am downtown all the time…

…I never have a problem finding parking…Granted it may be a half block away from my destination. Sometimes a whole block..

Parking meters will not solve the problem of people EXPECTING instant gratification…kinda like the morons who drive in circles around the parking lot waiting on the space closest to the front door to open up..

Walk your sorry butt to the next block…Sheesh!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/01/14 - 08:11 pm
"Walk your sorry butt to the

"Walk your sorry butt to the next block…Sheesh!"

Dream on my friend. There are BUNCHES of sorry folk in the U.S. People will kill minutes and gas searching for that one space that is 50 ft closer. Just look at the shopping carts they won't walk an extra 50 ft to put up.

In my orthopedist's office, there is an elevator to get to the second floor. About as many staff use it as patients when I'm there, and the stairs are quicker. When my shoulder was out of whack, I walked up. When my knee was out of whack, I used the elevator up and walked down.
Look around stores at items placed on a random shelf rather than walking their sorry butts back to where they got it from.