Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I JUST GOT MY car tax bill from Columbia County. Is it OK if I just pay half of it?

IT’S NICE TO SEE a new pub opening in downtown Augusta. In your Chronicle photo, however, the American flag and Irish flag are posted on the wrong side of each other.

OBAMA’S FOREIGN POLICY weakness has encouraged Putin, and now Obama is trying to worm out of his weakness, which means Obama could very well get us into an unnecessary war.

THE LOVELY PICTURE and story of “Lovers in the twilight time” in Monday’s Metro section deserved the front page. It was beautiful.

FOR THAT PERSON complaining about blaring music from cars, there is a noise ordinance in Richmond County and has been one for years. Unfortunately, our sheriff’s office has decided to allow “voluntary compliance” on whatever they don’t feel like enforcing. An example is handicapped parking here. I’m sure the noise ordinance is another. Remember this next election.

A HUGE RAVE FOR South Carolina school Super­intendent Mick Zais. He says change the high school requirements to accommodate those who are not college-bound. Reality tells us that not every student needs to attend college. Forcing them into courses that feel irrelevant to them is counterproductive; they don’t rise to the challenge, they quit! Over the 30-plus years that I was a teacher, I came to this realization. While higher learning for its own sake is valuable and enriching, it can’t be force-fed to students. Offer them courses that will get them where they want to go, and they will stay in school and thrive.

THOUGH THE SAT TESTS were never worth a flip anyway, how interesting it is now to see they are working hard to make the tests easier, which means they are less than worthless since anybody can pass.

ONLY PRESIDENT OBAMA could spend $300 million in just one state (Oregon) advertising his insane health care stuff and get not even one person in that state to sign up. Where could so much money have gone?

HOW COULD YOU print such a disgusting ad in your classified section “Dogs”? Free to good home, puppies must get rid of? Sickening!

A RAVE FOR the Gold Cross ambulance that came to my home and took me to Georgia Regents University after having an asthma attack and could not control it. The EMTs were very professional, and the staff at the emergency room knew exactly what to do when I got there so I could walk out of the hospital. Great job to both.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 03/19/14 - 09:58 am
Rant about Oregon spending

"ONLY PRESIDENT OBAMA could spend $300 million in just one state (Oregon) advertising his insane health care stuff and get not even one person in that state to sign up. Where could so much money have gone"

What I would like to know is where did the billions of "STIMULOUS" money go??!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 03/19/14 - 10:03 am
Rant about car taxes

"I JUST GOT MY car tax bill from Columbia County. Is it OK if I just pay half of it"

Property taxes HAVE GONE unrestrained!! If the county and state NEED money so, so badly, then get it through sales taxes!! I have to appologize to one of my neighbors when I was against her RIGHT POINT to call for sales taxes to support Aiken County Schools!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 03/19/14 - 10:07 am
Rant about speed limit

"SO SOME NUT IN GEORGIA has decided they can make a law ticketing me for obeying the posted maximum legal speed limit simply because someone else wants to violate it? The signs nor the law say it’s suggested; they say it’s the maximum. I’ll continue to drive that posted speed limit; let them ticket me, then appeal all the way to the Georgia Supreme Court and let the judges decide if that law is constitutional."

If you are going THE CORRECT SPEED LIMIT, then you SHOULD NOT be ticketted! Even if you are in the left lane, the speed limit IS how fast you can LEGALLY go!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 03/19/14 - 10:18 am
Rant about Obama's weakness

"OBAMA’S FOREIGN POLICY weakness has encouraged Putin, and now Obama is trying to worm out of his weakness, which means Obama could very well get us into an unnecessary war"

NO ONE should want and / or need another PHYSICAL war! The US troops and The American People ARE WAR WIERRY enough! However, a fight with Russia will BE MUCH, MUCH more different than that of Iraq and Afghanistan! THE ABSOLUTE BEST thing would be for these two NON-WARRIERS, Pres. and Vice-pres. to order immidiate war drills AS CLOSE to Ukriania as possible!! If it worked for President Kennedy, WHO DID SEE war action, then these two bafoones need to get a KENNEDIAN BACK-BONE!!!!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 03/19/14 - 10:34 am
PL @ 8:53

"Why are their highways with 3 or more lanes going in one direction if we are only allowed to use the one on the right except to pass"

At first I was going to say something assinine, BUT you are perfectly correct! The obvious reason for there to be multipul lanes is to help traffic flow, BUT you bring up a very good point other than there is a minimum speed limit which is also legal. I guess BOTH PARTY'S of thought are correct!! If there is a max and a min, then there MUST be rules governing the two completly different situations.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/19/14 - 10:34 am
Passing Lane

T3, you must have missed the bill before the Georgia General Assembly that would put a bit of teeth in the existing Georgia law that specifies that the left-most lane on limited-access highways is supposed to be for passing another vehicle.

The proposed new law would specifically obligate anyone in the left lane to move over (if safe) when a person behind them wishes to pass.

It's only common courtesy. People should not camp out in the left lane and prevent passing, no matter what the speed is.

daphne3520
daphne3520 03/19/14 - 10:49 am
So....The Author(ess) of Rant # 3 OBVIOUSLY is a

self appointed traffic cop!

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 03/19/14 - 12:59 pm
LL @ 10:34

"It's only common courtesy. People should not camp out in the left lane and prevent passing, no matter what the speed is"

AGAIN, I say if you are doing THE LEGAL SPEED LIMIT, then NO ONE should be able to tell you which lane to be in!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/19/14 - 01:07 pm
Important point

Speedometers are accurate +/- 2 or 3 mph. What if mine says 70, but I am really running 68. Yours says 70, but you are really running 73. That is a 5 mph differential and I'm going to camp out in the left lane just because I can? REALLY? You are going to roll up on me pretty darned quick at 5mph faster and will be cursing a streak because I'm blocking the fast lane. I wish you naysayers would take a reality pill. Just be courteous and don't hold up faster traffic. It is not your right or responsibility to slow others down. *HP will get you in touch with GSP to report dangerous drivers. Your obstinance creates a more dangerous condition than the driver running a few mph faster than you. Think about it....

Your first obligation is to drive safely and not endanger others. Just because someone else may be driving a tad less safe ( going a few mph over the limit), you don't have a right to exacerbate that by frustrating them out of pure obstinance and spite. (and ignorance in some cases, I might add)

Pond Life
Pond Life 03/19/14 - 01:33 pm
Hypothetical. How many cars

Hypothetical. How many cars can you pass in the left lane before you have to get over. I have seen MANY times people in what they call "the fast lane" (not the passing lane) stay in the left lane for miles upon miles because eventually they are passing people.

"Your first obligation is to drive safely and not endanger others."

That is what the speed limit is for as well...to keep you from endangering others.

Pond Life
Pond Life 03/19/14 - 01:34 pm
We can argue this until we

We can argue this until we are blue in the face, but it is simply absurd that a person's actions can be perfectly legal. And remain legal, until a different person breaks the law.

t3bledsoe
t3bledsoe 03/19/14 - 01:45 pm
PL @ 1:33

"That is what the speed limit is for as well...to keep you from endangering others"

HEY you! I got a "nast gram" from The ACES about 2 hours ago!! Seems that FREEDOM OF THE PRESS ONLY applies to The Augusta Chronicle!!

As for your above comment, I do break the speed quite often, BUT you couldn't be more correct in your stand on speeding!! I guess I also break the rule of freedom of the press sometimes also!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/19/14 - 01:54 pm
Azziz Looking For Another Job

Reading the above story about the candidates, it’s pretty clear Azziz did apply for the position. The candidates were promised anonymity until one was selected, but this paper decided it was suppression of news not to release their names. The editor had not agreed to keep the candidates anonymous.

So now we have something we are used to…subterfuge by Azziz and GRU. Did they admit he was applying for another job? Nope. They try their best to make it look as if he had nothing to do with it.

GRU spokesperson Christen Carter neither confirmed nor denied the reports in a statement sent late Tuesday.
Carter's statement in full:

"As a national thought leader, Georgia Regents University President Ricardo Azziz is often approached about new leadership opportunities in academia and health care. He is honored to be considered for such leadership posts and remains committed to the success of GRU."

The Chronicle needs to call out Azziz and Carter on this deception. Ask him point blank if he applied for the position.

corgimom
corgimom 03/19/14 - 02:11 pm
I think it's sad that the AC

I think it's sad that the AC had no clue about this.

But, let's hope he goes to Texas!

corgimom
corgimom 03/19/14 - 02:13 pm
I don't understand why

I don't understand why somebody objected to the ad about the free puppies. That used to be done regularly.

Or you would go someplace like the Farmer's Market, or a shopping center, and somebody would have a cardboard box, giving away puppies or kittens.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/19/14 - 04:26 pm
Does it surprise anyone

That the posters/readers had the Azziz news first..I bet we will know where that dang plane is too B4 the papers....

We have many sources of info.....some are legal. :)

corgimom
corgimom 03/19/14 - 04:53 pm
The newspaper wouldn't have

The newspaper wouldn't have disclosed his name if he hadn't been approached and expressed interest. He's on the short list.

Augusta's ties to Liberia date back to 1836

Richmond County’s ties to West Africa date back to the 1830s, when plantation owner Richard Tubman wrote in his will that his slaves were to be offered freedom. More recently, Augustans have ...