Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I JUST GOT MY car tax bill from Columbia County. Is it OK if I just pay half of it?

IT’S NICE TO SEE a new pub opening in downtown Augusta. In your Chronicle photo, however, the American flag and Irish flag are posted on the wrong side of each other.

SO SOME NUT IN GEORGIA has decided they can make a law ticketing me for obeying the posted maximum legal speed limit simply because someone else wants to violate it? The signs nor the law say it’s suggested; they say it’s the maximum. I’ll continue to drive that posted speed limit; let them ticket me, then appeal all the way to the Georgia Supreme Court and let the judges decide if that law is constitutional.

OBAMA’S FOREIGN POLICY weakness has encouraged Putin, and now Obama is trying to worm out of his weakness, which means Obama could very well get us into an unnecessary war.

THE LOVELY PICTURE and story of “Lovers in the twilight time” in Monday’s Metro section deserved the front page. It was beautiful.

FOR THAT PERSON complaining about blaring music from cars, there is a noise ordinance in Richmond County and has been one for years. Unfortunately, our sheriff’s office has decided to allow “voluntary compliance” on whatever they don’t feel like enforcing. An example is handicapped parking here. I’m sure the noise ordinance is another. Remember this next election.

A HUGE RAVE FOR South Carolina school Super­intendent Mick Zais. He says change the high school requirements to accommodate those who are not college-bound. Reality tells us that not every student needs to attend college. Forcing them into courses that feel irrelevant to them is counterproductive; they don’t rise to the challenge, they quit! Over the 30-plus years that I was a teacher, I came to this realization. While higher learning for its own sake is valuable and enriching, it can’t be force-fed to students. Offer them courses that will get them where they want to go, and they will stay in school and thrive.

THOUGH THE SAT TESTS were never worth a flip anyway, how interesting it is now to see they are working hard to make the tests easier, which means they are less than worthless since anybody can pass.

ONLY PRESIDENT OBAMA could spend $300 million in just one state (Oregon) advertising his insane health care stuff and get not even one person in that state to sign up. Where could so much money have gone?

HOW COULD YOU print such a disgusting ad in your classified section “Dogs”? Free to good home, puppies must get rid of? Sickening!

A RAVE FOR the Gold Cross ambulance that came to my home and took me to Georgia Regents University after having an asthma attack and could not control it. The EMTs were very professional, and the staff at the emergency room knew exactly what to do when I got there so I could walk out of the hospital. Great job to both.

nnaugusta
nnaugusta 03/18/14 - 07:00 pm
Speed Limit Woes

You are going to pay your fine, after your expenses to the GS S Court. Your ticket is for riding in the left lane except to pass, not for speed. Might be wise to take a few moments and read what the laws states, not what you think it means.

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/18/14 - 07:02 pm
"I’ll continue to drive that

"I’ll continue to drive that posted speed limit; let them ticket me"

You go right ahead and show your rear end sunshine. May that speeding driver behind you run you off of the road instead of me when he pulls some dangerous right hand passing maneuver to get around you. Moving back to the right lane after passing is the legal, safe, common sense thing to do but I see there is no point in discussing common sense with you. You would much rather kill somebody over your self proclaimed right to block the left hand lane.

happychimer
19384
happychimer 03/18/14 - 07:09 pm
I guess that will be a site

I guess that will be a site for sore eyes to see everyone driving in the right lane.Why spend all that money widening roads? I know this. Nobody is going to force me to speed.

whyme
2070
whyme 03/18/14 - 07:35 pm
to speed or not to speed

Perhaps they need to make the issue of the left lane clearer. If this is for the main highways, like I-20, then I agree: keep it clear and when the folks in the right hand lane are going a bit slower than you'd like, pass them to the left but you must stay at or below the speed limit. It's not ok to try and pass someone going 70 in the right lane by going 80 or more to do so. You'll get a ticket for sure. On the other hand, there are roads like Bobby Jones which I feel is designed to allow for traffic in both lanes to flow at or below the speed limit, with the folks who want to go significantly slower to keep it in the right. Otherwise, we run the risk of a horrible traffic jam during work hour traveling time if everyone is in the right hand lane, keeping the left free to pass. And I agree, if the speed limit on BJE is 55, and I'm doing it in the left hand lane rather than get stuck behind the 30-45 mph drivers in the right, get over it.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/18/14 - 08:26 pm
Given the damage the ICE STORM did to area roads

The SPLOST needs to be about repairing the Roads and Infrastructure, before the taxpayers have to pay a penny to private businesses and colleges to stay afloat.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/18/14 - 09:10 pm
Paul Harvey's "The Rest of the Story"

Here is the rest of Ranter #3’s comment:

I’ll continue to drive that posted speed limit selfishly in the left hand lane, leading to traffic back-ups, dangerous passing on the right, and road rage, just to satisfy my self-righteousness.

The courteous thing to do is move to the right before the guy behind you honks his horn or blinks his lights. But ranter #3 is anything but courteous.

iaaffg
iaaffg 03/19/14 - 03:59 am
ranter # 3 evidently has a

ranter # 3 evidently has a comprehension problem since he/she doesn't even understand what the proposed law is in the first place; one must wonder how in the world he/she got their driver's license since it seems he/she can't read very well, but then after observing the abysmal driving habits of most people these days, it would appear reading comprehension is a big problem all over this country. or else it simply boils down to the bubble theory: 'i am in my bubble, no one can touch me, i am a rule unto myself and the rest of the world can go eat worms!'
Simple solution: Post signs that read "Stay in Right Lane Only Unless Passing", or some words to that effect, and those that can't read or comprehend, well....once they get a few tickets (and i really don't see this law being enforced, much like the ban on texting while driving, excessive noise, or having too dark windows on a vehicle isn't enforced) maybe they'll get the idea and stay over in that right hand lane.

geecheeriverman
geecheeriverman 03/19/14 - 05:01 am
SAT

When I went to school we learned the A B C's. Now I think they learn about the Birds and Bees.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/19/14 - 05:05 am
The King's Solution

Anybody remember the Richard Petty incident on the interstate years ago? The King was trying to pass a guy who wouldn’t move out of the left lane and The King did some racetrack maneuvers on him. A few little bumps to the rear end worked wonders. The guy called the highway patrol and Petty told them if the guy got in front of him again he was going to knock his rear-end off the road.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/19/14 - 05:24 am
nocnoc
nocnoc 03/19/14 - 05:38 am
Maybe it is time to modify the consent law

Right now as the GA Law which allows consent at 16 is written,
some business person could legally sets up a GA Cougar/Lion Sweet 16 dating site or Cougar/Lion Teen club.

As I read the law,
It seems it would be legal, as long as no teacher/student, PO/Probee or family related individuals dated.

BTW:
There some, as they call themselves, "open minded" people that have and still are proposing a younger age of 14.

My simple change is:

If you are old enough to vote, you cannot legally have consensual sexual with someone of the age that cannot vote.

_Abbynoll_
_Abbynoll_ 03/19/14 - 06:07 am
Jack & Jill

Florida has 18 as the age of consent. The problem being... Jack & Jill have dated all through high school. Jack turns 18 the week before Jill. If they have "relations" during that week. Jack is/can be tried and convicted as a child molester. Some will say bs... but it's true. I think the age of consent should be 16... with the caveat that the other party be no more than 2 or 3 years older than the 16 yr old. That would be reasonable and keep poor Jack from being labeled a sex offender the rest of his life. (or Jill, whoever the oldest might be)

DamnYankee
DamnYankee 03/19/14 - 06:17 am
Driving

Being a transplant from the north, we were used to using the left lane generally as a passing lane with some exceptions. Coming to the south we realized that this was not the case everywhere. We have been on I20 backed up because two people are going the same speed in both lanes. While I just slow down to allow room for anyone else thinking to make an idiotic move, a lot of people don't. Most states have laws on the books that state slower traffic must move to the right. Enforceable? When there is a wreck - watch out... If everyone used the golden rule, driving would be much safer.

How about Richmond and Columbia county enforcing red lights - I see cops "run" red lights? It is unbelievable there is a turn lane blocking traffic because a red stop light must not mean stop? It's dangerous; my daughter noted in drivers education that it teaches that you must yeild to oncoming traffic regardless of the light or something like that. That's a safe thing...but crazy the red lights mean nothing. And they just keep adding them i.e. Wrightsboro Rd. Soon there will only be a few cars between each light! It is my biggest pet peeve in the south - I do not believe stop light cameras work, but the Augusta Metro area need something. I have seen red light driving like this maybe in NYC...but even there it's not like it is here.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/19/14 - 06:50 am
Welcome Back

Hey, it's been a long, long time since we've heard from you, Abbynoll. Welcome back.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/19/14 - 06:54 am
Red Lights

DamnYankee posted:

You are so right about that! The traffic engineer does not follow good design practices regarding traffic signals. If there's a fender bender at an intersection, you will see a new light there next week.

Also, look how many lights are going in on Washington Rd. going west from Evans. Every subdivision wants their own light.

dsterling9
dsterling9 03/19/14 - 06:56 am
Blaring Music

The officers probably cannot hear the music since they are sealed inside their vehicles with the air conditioning going while talking on their cell phones. But no matter...they should still FEEL the vibration from the over sized woofers.

And by the way...trying to get in touch with anyone in Ordinance Enforcement is useless. Leave messages and no response. About the same as trying to get in touch with the head of Augusta Utilities!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/19/14 - 06:58 am
Cameras

And speaking of poor traffic engineering practices; when they replaced the magnetic switches in the pavement to control traffic signals with those fancy cameras up on the poles, we motorists took a giant step backward. Especially if you are on a minor street crossing a major thoroughfare, you will sit a lo - o - o - ong time waiting to cross or turn left. And then when you get the left turn arrow, only 25% of the cars will be allowed to go before the arrow turns yellow. The line keeps backing up further down the street.

Pond Life
Pond Life 03/19/14 - 07:17 am
I do find it odd that a

I do find it odd that a perfectly legal activity can become illegal only when someone else breaks the law.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/19/14 - 07:19 am
Stay right except to pass

Why is that so hard to grasp?

Hi abbynoll...so glad to see you with us again...missed ya.

corgimom
corgimom 03/19/14 - 07:39 am
Why doesn't the AC have the

Why doesn't the AC have the story about Azziz trying to go to Texas, to UT- Rio Grande Valley? Let's hope he's successful, he's on the short list!

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/19/14 - 07:41 am
About this rave

"He says change the high school requirements to accommodate those who are not college-bound. Reality tells us that not every student needs to attend college. Forcing them into courses that feel irrelevant to them is counterproductive; they don’t rise to the challenge, they quit!"

We have said that on here for YEARS.....finally, some common sense.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/19/14 - 07:42 am
corgi??

Does North Carolina have news that we don't?? Please share.

Pond Life
Pond Life 03/19/14 - 07:48 am
Speed limit 70 MPH...Why is

Speed limit 70 MPH...Why is THAT so hard to grasp?

Pond Life
Pond Life 03/19/14 - 07:53 am
Why are their highways with 3

Why are their highways with 3 or more lanes going in one direction if we are only allowed to use the one on the right except to pass?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/19/14 - 07:58 am
3 Lanes

The proposed law says to stay out of the left lane except to pass. If there are three lanes, you can cruise in the two right-most lanes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Of course, in those areas in Atlanta where the left lane is a HOV lane, the law should spell out a special exemption.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/19/14 - 08:05 am
Areas in Atlanta

There are also areas that you take your life in your hands just venturimg out on the Interstates...some will never follow speed limits & could care less about police .....but, slow pokes are trouble too.

Messy traffic anytime time of day...yall don't know what a traffic mess is in Augusta....baby steps compared to this place.

harley_52
harley_52 03/19/14 - 08:15 am
"Being a transplant from the north....

......we were used to using the left lane generally as a passing lane with some exceptions."

Exactly the same as down here, with (perhaps) a few more exceptions.

Having lived all over the USA, I really can't tell any difference.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/19/14 - 08:49 am
I agree with Harley. I have

I agree with Harley. I have driven in probably half of the states in the country and most of the largest cities, and the same mentality/problems exist everywhere.

Edit: actually 38 of the 50 states, and all but 2 of the top 20 largest metro areas in the country.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/19/14 - 08:52 am
Azziz

QUICK! Somebody call Texas and take out a full page ad singing his praises.

I'm sure there will be plenty of volunteers to help him pack.