Rants and Raves

TRYING TO REASON with Marion Williams is like “matching wits with a gumball machine.”

WHOEVER SAID that crime doesn’t pay did not work for the Columbia County government.

RANT TO GROVER Tuten/Richmond County and Kay Allen/Columbia County for their actions that caused our counties to be cause for action in the State Legislature and the Governor’s Office, respectively. Both should go and hide somewhere because it is very offensive to me that we can’t handle our problems without intervention from state government.

I WAS TEARY-EYED as I read the Kay Allen statement. What a load of baloney! The only thing she is doing is trying to save her rear end. She says that she does not want to continue the fight since it would result in significant costs to the citizens of Columbia County. Why did she not think of those costs way back when the issue first arose. She made out alright having to pay back only half what she owes. Good riddance I say!

I HOPE THAT President Obama is watching what the Target store management just did. Target caused the resignation (firing?) of Beth Jacob the chief information officer after the massive data breach. Obama needs to understand that when things go wrong somebody needs to get fired or demoted at least. With all of his administration’s debacles nobody has ever been held accountable!

FYI ... TO CORRECT a rant comment from someone earlier. Land line telephones do not require an on-your-site power source to work unless they are channeled through a PBX system or of the cordless type. A regular phone plugged into the phone company service feeding your premise gets its power generated by the phone company’s central office, which goes to back-up generators upon power failure. The only thing required on your end is “continuity” of the pair of wires from the CO to your house. Try it next time the power goes out, pick up the phone and make a call. My, my what amazing technology we have when we KISS and forget all the bells and whistles of high tech. (Retired AT&T)

THE ONLY GOOD thing to say about MOX is that the money wasted went to American workers and was not sent overseas.

sawgrass
sawgrass 03/15/14 - 06:05 pm
MOX

To the last ranter.

To the last ranter. The money for the MOX project is not and has not been wasted. The only viable option in the plutonium disposition process is the MOX facility. Vitrification can be reversed and does not render weapons grade plutonium unusable. The MOX process actually generates revenue for the government

sawgrass
sawgrass 03/15/14 - 08:25 pm
1st ranter

You are insulting a gumball machine when you compare it with Morion Williams.

harley_52
harley_52 03/15/14 - 10:43 pm
Phones And Power...

Rant #6 described the way it used to be. Some/many/most phones these days are digital (not analog) and utilize a modem in your home to utilize the internet via VOIP (voice over internet protocol). If you lose power, your modem doesn't work and therefore, neither does your phone.

I think Knology has converted most of their customers already. Not sure about AT&T and Comcast. If you haven't been converted yet, it won't be too long before you are.

Kos
Kos 03/15/14 - 11:25 pm
An open letter to people who

An open letter to people who hate Obama more than they love America.

I meet you all the time. You hate Obama. You hate gay people. You hate black people, Muslims,labor unions, women who want the right to make choices concerning their bodies, you hate me all. You hate being called racist. You hate being called a bigot. Maybe if you talked about creating jobs more than you talk about repealing Obamacare and why you hate gay people we wouldn't call you bigots. Maybe if you talked about black people without automatically assuming they are on food stamps and need to be drug tested, while demanding their birth certificates we wouldn't call you racist. You hate socialism and social justice. You hate regulations and taxes and spending and the Government. You hate. You like wars. You like torture. You like Jesus. You hate liberals, moderates, he'll anyone who disagrees with Conservative dogma as espoused by Fox News and Rush Limbaugh. You hate me. Frankly, you disgust me. Your hatred nauseates me. Your bigotry offends me. Your racism revolts me. Republicans can NOT win on the issues. They got NOTHING. All they have is a divide and conquer class war that pits ignorant racist and bigoted people against the rest of us in a meaningless battle of wedge issues and already proven to fail George W. Bush agenda again of tax cuts for the rich, and nothing else, so all they can do is blame black people, gays the government, anybody and everyone else for their own failings. The party of personal responsibility and less spending, my butt.

Augz79
Augz79 03/16/14 - 12:34 am
Marion Williams

He may be a loud-mouth that likes the sound of his own voice, but Marion Williams wouldn't have built a whole freakin' parking deck on someone else's land. He also wouldn't have sold a vote for the new SPLOST in exchange for money for Paine College. Sometimes you need Marion Williamses around.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/16/14 - 06:16 am
Landline Phones

I don't know why I have a landline phone anymore. Even faxes can be sent via the internet.

KSL
KSL 03/16/14 - 06:45 am
Harley, we still have 2 lines

Harley, we still have 2 lines of the old fashioned phones with land lines, no modem for the phones, AT&T.

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/16/14 - 06:42 am
Marion Willliams wouldn't have done that

No, he just wanted to spend tax money to build a speedway, so he could have the exclusive concession rights!!

corgimom
corgimom 03/16/14 - 06:43 am
We still have the

We still have the old-fashioned ones too, we have an home alarm system.

KSL
KSL 03/16/14 - 06:53 am
So do we, corgi. Have had one

So do we, corgi. Have had one since they started marketing them.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/16/14 - 07:25 am
3200 years old wow

Thanks ksl....just imagine that age ....what a beauty of a tree!

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/16/14 - 07:28 am
We will still keep landline

When 9-11 happened the cells didn't work--too dang many at one time trying to use the thing.
We have alarm on the line too.

Does anyone think we will have another terror attack with the plane that is missing? If not here, someplace with millions of people.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/16/14 - 07:45 am
This is disgusting to me

Make it legal to marry a 9 year old grl...this is child molesting....there are idiots in this world & we sure haven't brought them into this century.....makes me sick just to read it.

corgimom
corgimom 03/16/14 - 07:52 am
Read the stories about Naeed

Read the stories about Naeed Williams and his wife Delilah, who tortured and beat Naeed's 5 year old daughter, Talia, a special needs child, to death.

The Feds are going for the death penalty for Naeed. Hope it happens.

Stepmommy Delilah is going to get 20 years, but she is just as guilty as he is.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/16/14 - 08:25 am
Phone company vs. VOIP vs. Comcast vs. Power

We use VONAGE VOIP

Since we knew the ICE storm was coming, we set up our VOIP to Simul-ring. Where it rings the VOIP unit and other Phone #'s all
at the same time.

BTW:
Most VOIP systems also allow Auto Call forwarding IF:
the unit is not Ping reachable, or after a set number of rings there is no answer.

BTW: Cell Phones were recharged as needed in the car outside

LillyfromtheMills
LillyfromtheMills 03/16/14 - 08:38 am
Still using tin cans

Hate phones!

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/16/14 - 09:23 am
BTW: Where are all the Protests about the RUSSIA Invasion

A Socialist Democratic Country called Russia invaded the lower East Border of the Ukraine. Which just happens to be a nice warm water port for their Navy and a major Gas production area.

But it seems little Media attention has been given other than Future Presidential hopeful John Kerry is working for a peaceful solution. While acknowledging there are a lot of Russian speaking people in that area.

MMMMMM! What does this remind me of???????

AH! that's right.....
The phrase "Peace for Our Time" that was spoken on 30 September 1938 by British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain in his speech concerning the agreement with another National Socialist Country Germany. They too make the same claim were a lot of people that spoke their language in the Czechoslovakian and Austrian areas.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/16/14 - 09:26 am
Regarding the Mayor and Commissioner races

Don't you wished there was an option for

NONE OF THE ABOVE.

justthefacts
justthefacts 03/16/14 - 10:03 am
Thanks lilly

I needed that.

southern2
southern2 03/16/14 - 10:03 am
Good explanation from the

Good explanation from the phone expert in #6. So simple even I could understand.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/16/14 - 10:50 am
One good thing about getting old....

You can enjoy the same joke over & over...because after a day or 2 you forget it!

jimmymac
jimmymac 03/16/14 - 10:54 am
RANT #5

Obama hasn't held anyone responsible for any misdeeds since he took office, Fast and Furious, IRS, Benghazi and of course Obamacare. I give him a little pass for the ACA because he would have to hold himself responsible for that mess.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/16/14 - 12:44 pm
What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Noc, Russian tanks and troops in the Crimea. What could possibly go wrong? Divide Poland next? It looks like they took Obama at his word. "Tell Vladimir after my election I have more flexibility."

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/16/14 - 01:36 pm
AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/16/14 - 02:26 pm
I don't know what the person

I don't know what the person on the Rants and Raves today in second to last comment is talking about regarding a previous post, but even though we replaced our air phones with older model cord phones, our landlines went down, too, for at least two days after the ice arrived and the third day, even though the landlines came back on the old-fashioned type phones (not air phones) weren't ringing until the fourth day, there was some fuse out in the system, so a lot of residents didn't even know people were trying to call them unless they just happened to pick up the phone at the right time. That's how we found out and reported the additional problem. We were able to confirm it was happening because we began monitoring a light on one of our older model landline corded phones that goes on when someone is calling. So no, you are not always going to have landline service even if you subscribe to it. We have several different network phones and a landline here and still had no phones at one point for two days, because AT&T was down AND the cell phone networks were down in our area.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/16/14 - 02:37 pm
No Phones

I don't know about you, but I found it kind of nice not to have phone service during the ice storm. We made the house kind of cozy with candles and fireplace and just camped out.

corgimom
corgimom 03/16/14 - 10:08 pm
The only time we don't have

The only time we don't have phone service is when the line is cut or the repairman has messed with our line at the control box.

When we got U-Verse, we had a lot of problems with it, and when the repairman fixed our U-Verse, cut off our phone (which is NOT U-verse, we were UNHAPPY!)

rebellious
20780
rebellious 03/17/14 - 12:05 am
skipped many comments, but

2 years back, i switched security system to cell phone technology, you know so they can't cut the phone lines! I can remote view the castle on my phone or any internet connected computer. Pretty cool stuff.

Then I went with Internet based faxing. Awesome, I can fax a pdf from my phone, or scan and fax from home computer on wireless network.

Then went to wireless printing. Any of my kids can send me a print page cause they have the url (whatever that is) of my wireless printer.

When the power was off for days, my generator powered it all, and if my most hated supplier (Comcast) hadn't been down, I would have been totally up. Instead, had to use a Hotlink to my phone to achieve the same.

Oh yeah, I am internet delivery on the newspaper, so I no longer stand at the driveway's end at 5 a.m. waiting on a chevy chevette to toss a wad of paper in the yard.

Phone landline???? When the Ice knocked down my Power cable, I ask the guys from Idaho, or wherever, to cut all that crap off the pole.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/17/14 - 08:08 pm
Since readers apparently

Since readers apparently skipped over some of my post, based on what I'm reading in your responses, let me say it again, we had no network phone coverage, even though our household uses more than one cell phone network and we ALSO had NO land line even using the type of phones that have a cord. Yes, a phone line was down in our area. It tends to happen with above the ground lines during ice storms. If you hadn't noticed. Let me spell out my main concern: if there had been another emergency alert, (which is definitely not out of the realm of possibility in those conditions) reverse-phone calling would have been totally USELESS. We need a manual over-ride emergency warning siren system.