Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANT FOR THE loud TV commercials. Commer­cials that are aired with excessive audio are annoying and should be banned since the FCC has ruled that they are illegal. Please be aware that they are obnoxious and a lot of us don’t appreciate the way they are presented. The local cable companies and the local TV stations should follow the FCC rules and not allow the increased volume for his commercials they are transmitting.

I HAVE A BIG FAT rant for WJBF (Channel 6) for not showing the NASCAR race on March 1. WJBF aired a college baseball game. By the time the game was over, there were only 32 laps left in the race, and that is only because the race was in a rain delay. I hope NASCAR fans will voice their anger toward Channel 6 for what they did.

A RAVE TO DISTRICT 1 Augusta Commission member William “Bill” Fennoy for attending the special purpose local option sales tax meeting and getting projects for his district included. Those commissioners who stayed home should be ashamed of themselves for not representing their constituents.

STUNNED. THE ONLY word that comes to mind when viewing Rick McKee’s March 1 editorial cartoon. Mr. McKee has a very prejudiced idea of beauty. He has insulted people at just about every level of humanity. An all-time low for The Augusta Chronicle.

CAN’T SOMETHING be done about the noxious smell coming from the slaughterhouse on Gor­don Highway? I travel that way to and from work, and it smells like someone is cooking a hamburger and cow dung stew every day. Nauseating! It’s not a very good “Welcome to Augusta” for folks leaving the airport.

TO THE PERSON who saw the trolley, that is not a regular Augusta trolley at all. It was a special one hired for tours on Saturdays. But it is nice to look at. I do wish the city or the Augusta Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau could afford to run tour trolleys.

MY NEIGHBORS ARE anxiously awaiting the $8 million worth of cleaning crews as they managed to rent out their places for the Masters for $4,000 to $8,000 that week. When they hire the 45 percent of local help, will they finally start in our streets soon? The rest of us are tired of the one-lane-only use as the anxious people thoughtlessly just push stuff onto the roads to “urge” the city to clean the road up faster.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/08/14 - 12:50 am
You're worried about a Smell you pass by on Gordon Highway?

Come live out here on the South Side and smell CC, Federal Paper and Augusta News print almost every morning.

Besides at least you get to eventually eat the source of your problem.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/08/14 - 12:50 am
Trollies

IF the city of Augusta wants to pick up some cheap Trollies?

There are 1/2 DZ area cities that fell for that expensive come-on and have parked them ages ago.

SIB4 = Does Lawrenceville, still have their failures parked on the side of the road just off East Pike and Jackson st?

SIB4 BTW: We are in the Walton Co. / Barrow / Hall area looking today and Saturday.

Kos
Kos 03/07/14 - 08:46 pm
Jon Stewart blasts

Jon Stewart blasts conservatives for praising Putin while, bashing Obama. Last night, Jon Stewart covered Vladimir Putin's " in another world" press conference, but mostly focused on the right - wing's unhinged reaction to Putin, as opposed to how they treat Obama. I'll tell ya, the weirdest thing about this isn't Putin invading Ukraine. You expect a crazy guy to act crazy. The weirdest thing is seeing Republicans in our country point at the crazy guy and go, Yeah, I'll have what they're having."

Jake
Jake 03/07/14 - 09:54 pm
Hamburger and cow dung stew….

It should also be paired with a fruity Zinfandel from Calaveras county, Hatcher Vineyards has a nice one from 2011.
Toadstools, ramps, and hoecakes are an excellent accompaniment along with a salad of sour weed, dandelion greens and a chow-chow vinegarette.
For the sweet finish I think Happy Kids Cane Syrup sopped up with the remaining hoecakes should do the trick along with an Armagnac from at least 1970.
This is submitted with humble apologies to CBBP, aka Master Chef.

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/07/14 - 11:20 pm
"Those commissioners who

"Those commissioners who stayed home should be ashamed of themselves for not representing their constituents."

Yeh.....and one of them wants to be your mayor. No reason that I have seen has been given for him not being at the SPLOST negotiations and vote but whatever his reason, his constituents are the ones that got hurt.

myfather15
myfather15 03/08/14 - 07:06 am
#5

I understand your feelings about the odor!! At times, it's absolutely sickening!! I remember several years ago, I rode past there and was unprepared; the odor hit my nostils and I began to dry heave!! Had to pull to the side of the road until I quit gagging!! It was absolutely terrible, and I've smelled some really bad things in my day!!

ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts
ColdBeerBoiledPeanuts 03/08/14 - 07:28 am
Jake

Awesome Jake, now I'm going to have to upgrade my menu to keep up!!

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/08/14 - 09:01 am
Amazing Jake, you're the

Amazing Jake, you're the first person out of my family who has mentioned ramps! Have you ever eaten any? Good with vinegar but oh my gosh you talk about stink while cooking them. Best to eat them when you're just going to be around family until the stink wears off.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/08/14 - 09:44 am
Well now--about that smell

Yall have really killed my appetite ...Thanks

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/08/14 - 10:04 am
dsterling9
dsterling9 03/08/14 - 10:08 am
STORM DEBRIS

Those people pushing storm debris into the streets creating a hazard need to be reminded this is illegal by the receipt of a ticket!

dsterling9
dsterling9 03/08/14 - 10:10 am
NASCAR

So glad I have cable. Don't care for most sports...especially fuel wasting NASCAR...but do agree if something is schedule the entire program should be shown even if delayed.

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/08/14 - 10:17 am
Hamburger and cow dung

Hamburger and cow dung stew….

'…..should be served while it is still very hot and emitting the steaming vapors that cover your dining room table like the "boil, boil, trouble and toil" concoction from the witches cauldron at the beginning of Macbeth."

Wow, you're making an awful lot of assumptions guy. For one, you're assuming a "beef like" stew. Not being privy to my neck of the woods, you may not realize frogs, snails, and c'dads are part of our daily consumption. Yes, yes, we occasionally have to spit out grit, but that is not unlike our daily "news" consumption.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/08/14 - 10:31 am
Rent A Trolley

We could have a blast riding around in a trolley and a couple of cases of beer. Streets of San Francisco, have someone standing on the step riding, have Steve McQueen pass us and do a hill jump in a Mustang.

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/08/14 - 10:39 am
I can picture Steve... trying

I can picture Steve... trying so hard to remain relevant... not unlike so many at the Oscars... sooo sad but yet entertaining. Yaa, if Steve were to offer me a Fosters's whilest I was trolling down a hill, I wouldn't pass.

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/08/14 - 10:44 am
I don't see any liberals

I don't see any liberals making comparisons between Obama and Quayle this morning since we have confirmed Obama thinks it is "RSPECT" instead of RESPECT. I guess the Democrats will claim Quayle stole Obama's "E".

A sovereign nation is being invaded, our unemployment rate is 12.6% (actual), we are nearing $18 trillion dollars of debt, and the labor participation rate is 63%.......AND OBAMA IS PARTYING WITH THE WOMEN OF SOUL in the Whitehouse.......and apparently making Dan Quayle look smart (at least Quayle didn't leave out any letters).......and making Jimmy Carter look competent.

I guess that is what you get when you elect a communist, dope smoking, "foreign student", community organizer who had never held a public job that wasn't funded by taxpayer giveaway program dollars. DUH!!!! What did you expect?

happychimer
happychimer 03/08/14 - 10:50 am
I hate those loud blasting

I hate those loud blasting commercials. I should not have to put the tv on mute during commercials. The car commercials are the worst.

happychimer
happychimer 03/08/14 - 10:51 am
And I suppose you never

And I suppose you never misspelled a word.

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/08/14 - 10:58 am
...and making Jimmy Carter look competent...

jeez, that would be one bad arze putt-down if peep's had a clue... Disgrace and joke comes to mind when I think of adjectives. What scares me is weakling, effeminate, and milksop. I'm not so stupid that I don't realize there is a fine line that our leaders have to walk...but when you walk that line as a milksop...it's probably not good.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/08/14 - 11:06 am
Its about the "E"

Our point exactly.

The Liberal Media outlets jumped all over Quayle for adding E,
but not Obama for missing an E.

Aren't Liberals are supposed to be all about fair and equal treatment?

It would seem one would have to agree there seems to be a some double standard or bias?

IF NOT WHY?

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/08/14 - 11:07 am
Loud commercials

Kinda like when the dishwasher is on at our house. Have to pump up the sound, then when it's no longer needed, everybody in the house think's I'm crazy because I turn turn it back down.....( I'm like "do you not have a problem with blasting?) I'm looked at like I'm crazy.... everybody around me seems alien, yet they all think I'm alien.

Who is the alien???

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/08/14 - 11:25 am
SIB4

Thanks,
Will be in Lawrenceville today looking at an older MPK5 today, I "just happened" to plan this trip around the Gun Show up here today☺

I am lucky, I have a good understand wife when it comes to toys

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/08/14 - 11:41 am
Masters events leaving downtown?

Let us get serious here for a moment in time...

Do you really want to isolate yourself from the major events in Augusta...I think not.

When I hear some posters on here bragg about their voting preferemce, I wonder if they have really thought about the final outcome...just look at Atlanta right now.....they have just lost the Braves to Cobb county. The football stadium is going through a flux because some downtown (mostly black residents) think they are being ignored......sometimes the bickering & lawsuits will run ANY business in another direction.

We reap what we sow...keep voting on color & wonder where the party is......it won't be in Richmond county. imho

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/08/14 - 11:49 am
"And I suppose you never

"And I suppose you never misspelled a word."

Not THAT word when singing THAT song. R_E_S_P_E_C_T is like an automatic reflex. No thinking involved. Hmmm, no thinking.....Obama should have been able to handle it.

allhans
allhans 03/08/14 - 12:15 pm
Without his prompter he is

Without his prompter he is clueless.

Young Fred
Young Fred 03/08/14 - 12:22 pm
"...when singing THAT song.

"...when singing THAT song. R_E_S_P_E_C_T"

WOW it's funny, but I never thought of Obama when playing that song through my brain.. No, not once did the word "respect" enter my brain.

I feel kind of hurt, because I know, I should think of power and respect - but those words just don't come to mind when thinking of President Obama... Do you really want to know the first words that come to mind when our illustrious prez is mentioned? SCARED! that's what comes to mind. Part of me knows we are a powerful people that is capable of overcoming. Part of me knows that no matter the "limp-wristed" policy of our current gov - we will overcome - because we always do! Why WHY must we always fight people that have no since of history?

History? OK, you think it doesn't apply. For some reason you think history will not repeat itself, because you think you are smarter, better, etc.!!! Your people are smarter, better informed, and you can sit in your (cave?) and figure the world out!

Ya know what? YOU AREN.T near as smart as you think you are!!!

You - YOU actually think you've considered that which has never been considered? WOW - your ego is immeasurable! What, nobody before you has the depth? PaaLease!! Hate to bust your bubble - you ain't that dang special!

Hence why liberals are a complete failure! You fluup yourself up,but you're sorely lacking!

KSL
KSL 03/08/14 - 12:23 pm
I think he is clueless with

I think he is clueless with it.

daphne3520
daphne3520 03/08/14 - 12:34 pm
You GO, TROLLS! NO TEXT!

NO TEXT.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/08/14 - 12:35 pm
It is truly sad when someone

It is truly sad when someone is so screwed up that they find it necessary to place a TD on a comment about a food item. It's not political, it's not racist, it's not anti-gay, it's not anything personal...just a simple statement about ramps. Seriously Sean, maybe we need to revise the TD and TU so that it displays the commenters name also. Then maybe people would be held accountable for their ugliness. The two who TD my comment, I'm praying for you today and seriously hope you have a better day.

Vogtle workers see both reactor projects

Some veterans of the nuclear industry were at the site south of Augusta to see the complex network of rebar and concrete rising out of the ground in the 1970s and ’80s. Now, they are back.