Rants & Raves

Comments from readers.

THE VIGILANTES OF Columbia County need to remember there is such a thing as due process of law, innocent until proved guilty.

THE RESULTS OF the last ice storm really lie on Georgia Power, since they saved a few dollars by doing away with the tree-trimming program. They are paying now, and we hurt.

HEY, BIG RAVES for Pam Tucker! If she got her second in command well-trained to handle things for a few hours, I appreciate that. Her overall handling of all things emergency in Columbia County and during her time in Richmond County are above 115 percent effort and any reproach. Nothing was amiss ever under her watch. So happy baby, Grandma Pam!

ARIZONA VOTED TO force businesses to deal with any customer no matter even if it is against their religious beliefs. Yet, two Muslims were fired from a trucking firm in Minnesota because they would not drive a truck containing alcohol, but the company was forced to rehire them because they have a right to exercise their religious beliefs by not driving a truck containing alcoholic beverages? Why do some religions get special treatment when others are forced to do things counter to their religious beliefs?

WHAT IS SO SPECIAL about Flagler Road that you constantly see county trucks coming and going from that neighborhood and who has the pull to make it happen? It definitely seems a little suspicious to those who live around that area.

WHO IS WATCHING out for us taxpayers (except the commissioners) in determining who gets the money from the special purpose local option sales tax? The latest entity who wants to dip into that money is Richmond County Mosquito Control, which wants $450,000 for a new storage facility. Surely there are vacant facilities around Augusta that would adequately serve their needs?

GEORGIA’S STATE BOARD has voted to allow school districts to not make up as many as nine days lost to ice and snow. Let’s face it: Georgia is the last state that needs leniency in this area. The students deserve and need a full year of schooling if they are to keep up with the other states.

I CAN’T BELIEVE the audacity of the person slamming Pam Tucker for attending the birth of her first grandchild. Apparently you do not have children or grandchildren that you can be so critical. Nothing in this world would stop me from attending the birth of my first grandchild.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/05/14 - 08:24 pm
Yep! We Drew a Line Today

In response Russia invading the Crimea/Ukranie after the people got rid of a corrupt Putin Puppet.

The President made it clear he will do something.

Today he sent six additional F-15s and one KC-135 to the Baltic to show Russia we are serious. This plus the 4 that already there make 10 F-15's and they are only 1,020 miles from the Ukraine capital.

In Poland we have 10 U.S. Air Force personnel and they have been placed on alert.

All total we have <250 personnel ready to kick butt if the President pulls the trigger on Putin. the 2 or 3 planes in Poland are only just 714 miles away in Poland without armament, because They are a training unit.

Under the Presidents Watch, him and Kerry sure have America ready for anything.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/05/14 - 08:44 pm
SPLOST Questions & Concerns

Yes I am guilty of being baited for reaction and distraction over the months of recent SPLOST development.

Semi-Quoting Max Brooks
“There comes a point where emotions must give way to objective facts.” An may I add another requests for better details.

The recent SPLOST is one such example and judging by the number of comments posted about SPLOST since its initial announcement we just went through our wave of fear, revolt and now should be getting down to some facts and serious questions phase.

So, I started looking at the presented SPLOST plan that we will eventually vote on in May.

Section B
Questions:
What I want explained in layman's terms is who is the Pjt Mgr, how will or was he picked and why $5M?

What buildings are being renovated are they ARC OWNED?

When did we borrow $8M from MCG?

Section C
The $50 Million proposed for Engineering is generally welcomed at face value, but for those of us that are more suspicious mind want to know can we expect to a list of what is "to be determined" will be BEFORE the SPLOST vote?

Section D
YES I support Fire and EMS Funding and more than is here.
My question for this section are:
What type of vehicles Fire Trucks/EMS wagons, or they Admin vehicles
which will not be directly used for EMS/Fire response?

Where will the fire station be located and who are the proposed contractors, consultants and designers, are they local?

Section E
Questions:
Regarding the Roof Replacement why isn't this part of the $30M in Section B item B2?

Please define proposed types of Public Safety Vehicles. Are they field use or Admin use and whether local or State wide bidding?

Section F
Why does IT need a $13M radio system and what will is it to be use for?

What is TAO/TCO Software ?

What is MDT?

Section H
I understand the need for Flood Control, wouldn't this already be covered by the proposed Rain Tax being proposed? Or it is replacing the RAIN/GOD Tax?

How many buildings will be demolished and where, for the $4M and who is doing the work? How was or will that company be selected?

SECTION I
Over all I agree with most of the items of list and I lack the knowledge to comment on Operational costs.

However I do have a Question about I64.
It seems to be a catch-all fund of $7M +/- could we get deeper information on what this is and who will do the work?

SECTION J
Item J1 and J2 will go a long way into documenting police actions and revealing court house step parties seeking a media party and civil unrest.

However, given the crime problems ARC has county wide, Item J4 raises a major question. Will $700k be just the tip of the iceberg in costs to deploy a very basic downtown video monitoring system?
Technical Staff, monitoring staff and Response Teams will need to be 24/7 or it is useless. The Salaries alone for 24/7 monitoring will easily cost 1/2 of the $700K each year and every year. From a budgeted amount standpoint this will not work, so will RCSO pick up the ongoing costs from its budget?

Section K & L
If Hephzibah and Blythe residents are happy, I am happy for them.
These 2 cities have gotten a very short end of the stick for too long.
If their people approve the SPLOST fine. If Hephzibah or Blythe voters vote it down will they be exempt?

Section M
This section raises a lot number of questions on use and costs to accomplish. Question: Can greater details be provided before the Vote?

Section N
As our generation moves from Printed to Electronic Media, is $2M enough? Which raises the question, I only see 3 locations listed ARC has 6, how was these 3 and not the other 3 picked what was the reasoning?

Section P
Last and FAR from the least.
This one section has have the most negative comments that any other section in this proposed SPLOST spending.

Out of the $21.77 +/- Million budgeted less than $5M seems legal or
justified as a ARC SPLOST items. I for one would enjoyed a detail explanation on how many of these items are even legal under the SPLOST guideline set by Ga Law.

IMPERIAL COMMUNITY THEATER, INC.

MILLER THEATER LLC
Which has no status legal status having been dissolved on 10/13/2011

I have even more questions about the MILLS, private colleges and Private companies receiving SPLOST funds. So I have provided a URL to the LAW for others to read over and formulate their own opinions.

BTW: Section M
Why is Downtown Development Authority Surface Parking Lot
costing 1,500,000?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/05/14 - 08:56 pm
My my my people sure have a

My my my people sure have a chip on their shoulder about Pam Tucker. Apparently I still haven't found the comment where someone was slamming Columbia County's Pam Tucker for not being on site during the catastrophic winter ice storm we had, instead going to see her first granddaughter being born. That's fine, but I wonder how many men in similar positions have been able to do the same, if they wished to. Or if they could even consider it. The times they are a'changing. Or are they? Would a man be fired for doing this? Be honest.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/05/14 - 08:53 pm
Be Something To Think About

Be something to think about if school test scores actually improved this year with the missed school days.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/05/14 - 08:53 pm
Drivers, PLEASE. When it is

Drivers, PLEASE. When it is overcast and visibility is lower, please if you don't have driving lights for daytime, turn on your low beams at least. It is also even more important to use your signals when changing lanes and turning. Especially these cars in the dull, neutral colors. They blend into the road and the atmosphere. Even more importantly, if they think it is necessary for them to speed and endanger everyone else on the road. If you haven't noticed, if people are going at different speeds, sometimes things don't go well. Make yourself as visible as possible. The life you save may be your own or that of someone you love.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/05/14 - 08:55 pm
I wish I had all the time

I wish I had all the time I've spent over the years signing in multiple times a day for the online Augusta Chronicle. Not that I don't appreciate the service, it's just those pop-ups are annoying when I've got my mind on something more important than signing in.

iaaffg
iaaffg 03/06/14 - 04:53 am
exactly how many people

exactly how many people suffered in the ice storm b/c pam tucker dared to attend her first grandbaby's birth? none! leave the woman alone. find something more important to get your britches in a wad over...like the dumbing down of the SAT, or elected officials stealing money and telling bold faced lies to their constituents or the moochers that deadbeat daily on the taxpayers or the deplorable state of this nation or the garbage lying on the side of the road or neglected children, the list could go on. besides, columbia county had their act together for the cleanup way better than richmond county, so it would appear pam was working BEFORE the storm hit, getting ready for it, when the powers that be in richmond county were probably arguing again, slinging racial accusations at each other or worrying who has the better parking spot instead of TCB.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/06/14 - 06:02 am
JJ Green to Cornerback

Wow....you see that, JTF? Helps Brendan Douglas stay in the mix maybe.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/06/14 - 07:05 am
I have to agree with some of the other bloggers

It sure sounds like some politically mind person wants Pam Tucker
to resign so they can install a easier to manage person.

Food for Thought
There is a lot of Emergency contracting involved in the her dept. and it must be done quickly and legally given the nature of the job.

A less Ethical person in that position could steer a lot of $$$$$$ to
Political buddies to repay appointment IOU's.

BTW:
I just finished learning a few things by reading:

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/06/14 - 07:19 am
ONLINE MUG SHOT Website Being sued

It seems the website used version of her for ADs to make $$$ hand over fist and a person feels it her picture and she should compensated. She hired a Lawyer.

They Pay Models don't they?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 03/06/14 - 07:32 am
Good Morning USS of America.

" Why do some religions get special treatment when others are forced to do things counter to their religious beliefs"?

Ask your muslim leader and any inbred Liberal.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/06/14 - 07:43 am
I think you can forget about that.

The keep up part.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/06/14 - 07:45 am
slamming Pam Tucker

Please LET IT GO....the woman does her job well......we don't need rants about her FOREVER & EVER amen.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/06/14 - 07:46 am
THE VIGILANTES OF Columbia County

Now, now...we call them other names on here..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/06/14 - 07:51 am
Totally insane in the USA

"two Muslims were fired from a trucking firm in Minnesota because they would not drive a truck containing alcohol, but the company was forced to rehire them because they have a right to exercise their religious beliefs by not driving a truck containing alcoholic beverages?"

Years ago if I told the phone company I couldn't work on sunday they would have FIRED me...& said, we just don't need you then......we have lost something in the USA...pc is riunning amuck & we are letting it take over.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/06/14 - 08:04 am
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!

BOSTON (MyFoxBoston.com/AP) - The highest court in Massachusetts has determined that a man who took cell phone photos up the skirts of women riding the Boston subway did not violate state law because the women were not "nude or partially nude."

The Supreme Judicial Court on Wednesday dismissed charges against Michael Robertson who was arrested in August 2010 by transit police, who set up a sting after getting reports that he was using his cell phone to take photos and video up female rider's skirts and dresses.

The SJC decision says a woman on the MBTA "wearing a skirt, dress, or the like covering these parts of her body is not a person who is 'partially nude.'"

Robertson's lawyer argued before the state SJC that women "cannot expect privacy" in a subway.

"If a clothed person reveals a body part whether it was intentional or unintentional, he or she cannot expect privacy," Attorney Michelle Menken said.

Suffolk District Attorney Dan Conley said, "His conduct was repulsive, and you know nothing would please me more than to prosecute him and hold him accountable."

House Speaker Robert A. DeLeo released the following statement Wednesday: "The ruling of the Supreme Judicial Court is contrary to the spirit of the current law. The House will begin work on updating our statutes to conform with today's technology immediately."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I said--we have gone kookie

raul
raul 03/06/14 - 08:06 am
@nocnoc. The worst part was

@nocnoc. The worst part was that her mug shot was her most attractive pic. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2304623/Attractive-Convict-meme-...

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/06/14 - 08:18 am
JTF...a parrot to play golf!

A new golfer you might like. :)

jimmymac
jimmymac 03/06/14 - 08:22 am
PICS

The pervert taking pics of women without their approval is lucky one of the woman's husband or boy friend didn't take the phone and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

jimmymac
jimmymac 03/06/14 - 08:24 am
VIGILANTIES

Calling a spade and spade hardly makes someone a vigilante.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/06/14 - 08:25 am
SIB4 - photo buff

I guess those Supreme Court Justices never saw or heard of a Thong.
Or maybe they ARE wearing something under those robes
♂♂♂♂♂♂♂♀♀

Not sorry to say, if I caught some perv doing that .... the Southerner in me would require something be done on the spot. I am sure a more than a few would join in having an excuse.

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/06/14 - 08:31 am
Raul - Looking at MUGS

From time to time I review
Lookwhogotbusted.com

There are some doozys at

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/06/14 - 08:38 am
nocnoc

Photo buff....Kinda crazy to think that isn't breaking the law===didn't we just arrest someone for doing just that in Walmart?/ Think we did.

mug shots---are funny & some are smiling about it..haha BUT those tatts...geeeez

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/06/14 - 09:03 am
Imagine That--Don Williams

Imagine that we all got along

Imagine that we didn't need jails

Imagine that war was a thing of the past

Have a good day--seeya

BamaMan
BamaMan 03/06/14 - 09:09 am
Vehicle lights....

....or lack there of. I'm with the previous ranter on this one. Just last evening, car after car, no lights. No, it's not TOTALLY dark yet, but so close it's dangerous not to have lights on. You may think you can see perfectly okay, but people seeing YOU is a totally different issue. You CAN'T be seen, especially some darker painted vehicles. PLEASE TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON long before you think it may be a problem. If you see someone blinking their lights at you, IT'S FOR A REASON!

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 03/06/14 - 09:16 am
@AutumnLeaves - check the

@AutumnLeaves - check the archived Rants and Raves or any story referencing the ice storm and you'll see several folks who criticized Pam Tucker for being at the birth of her grandchild.

I would imagine that anyone - man or woman - would have the ability to take time off from work to attend the birth of a family member. Ususally that's something that's requested ahead of time from an employer and treated like any request to have time off from work. So with regards to someone (man or woman) getting fired over it, I'd imagine that's a possibility if the employee didn't follow work protocol with regards to requesting the time off.

Men would have to have the same ability to take time off for reasons such as the brith of a grandchild as a woman, otherwise they could claim discrimination - and be correct in doing so.

dichotomy
dichotomy 03/06/14 - 09:14 am
Some of the stuff on the

Some of the stuff on the SPLOST is legitimate although I have some of the same questions as nocnoc on the specifics....like the huge chunk of change going to the Engineering department. I'm sure they need it, and more, but I would like to see a list of what they are going to do with it and I would like for it to KILL THE RAIN TAX. I would like to know why the DDA resurfacing a parking lot cost $1.5 million because that is a LOT OF ASPHALT. If it MUST be done we would be better off to let the Engineering folks handle the contract and pay the ACTUAL cost.....which is probably more like $100,000. The rest of that $1.5 million is probably DDA boondoggle money.....because nobody is held accountable once we hand out the money like candy.

HOWEVER.....in order to get a FEW GOOD THINGS, I DO NOT THINK WE SHOULD BE HELD HOSTAGE TO PAY BLACKMAIL TO PRIVATE, NON-GOVERNMENTAL, SPECIAL INTEREST ORGANIZATIONS. I think it is ILLEGAL and IMMORAL to take taxpayer money and hand it over to private individuals to be spent as THEY see fit.

On that principle I will vote NO on this SPLOST. I hope the SPLOST fails and that they bring it back in November WITHOUT the symphony, the theater, the bridge tagging painters, Paine, and all of the other PRIVATE, NON-GOVERNMENT STUFF......and yes, without the Mills and the DDA. Why am I so against the PRIVATE stuff......because it isn't legal, it isn't right, and it isn't necessary. SPECIAL Tax money should only be spent for SPECIAL GOVERNMENT PROJECTS. Those projects should be well defined, well estimated, and once approved the department's feet should be held to the fire to get them done ON TIME and WITHIN BUDGET.....NOT LIKE THE TOTAL HIGHWAY ROBBERY AND INCOMPETENT OVERSIGHT THAT HAPPENED WITH THE TEE CENTER.

SPLOST has become a big slush fund with NO oversight of the money once the taxpayer's approved the total amount. WE HAVE TO STOP THIS IN IT'S TRACKS. I do not have a problem with a SPECIAL sales tax for a SPECIAL government project. But I want to know where every dollar of it is supposed to go, and I want to know where every dollar of it ACTUALLY goes, and I want to know that it is ONLY GOING TO PUBLIC, GOVERNMENT PROJECTS.

Please vote NO on this upcoming SPLOST and tell them to REMOVE THE PRIVATE, NON-GOVERNMENT, SPECIAL INTEREST ORGANIZATIONS. Believe me, you will get another chance in November.

Dudeness
Dudeness 03/06/14 - 09:18 am
There was a rant in

There was a rant in yesterday's R&R against Pam Tucker. I'm sure there are more, but that was the most recent one.

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/06/14 - 09:20 am
So now Obama is saying you

So now Obama is saying you can keep your present health insurance the next three years-till after Hillary gets elected. Boy tell me that isn't a political decision, and after all the grand standing and resistance to Rep for a delay that precipitated a government shutdown. Boy I know you Obama supporters feel foolish since the Rep were vindicated and we see just how spiteful Obama is-he allowed a govt shutdown after knowing his law wasn't ready for implementation just to oppose Rep as he always does. A law that is doomed for failure and address none of the ills of healthcare and just leaves people uninsured and escalate costs and debt. It's crazy.

Bizkit
Bizkit 03/06/14 - 09:27 am
But the restaurant owners in

But the restaurant owners in Arizona also have free speech so if they wanted to discourage muslims they could show the Benghazi video over and over again or have anti-islamic signs, they can have signs that disparage any ethnicity like fly Dixie, signs to disparage gays or women or whatever it is they feel represents their views, they can have religious relics all over the place too, they can express their beliefs and let the free market determine if people will visit their businesses.

NFL probes Falcon 'fake' crowd noise

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Falcons are being investigated for piping in fake crowd noise through the Georgia Dome's sound system for the past two seasons.