Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

WHAT’S UP WITH the Richmond County Board of Education this time? They give teachers no credit for the extra hours put in week after week, but when they close school because of weather, the board expects makeup hours?

A HUGE RAVE for all the linemen and women and tree-cutting crews who clear the way for us to return to normal.

MICHELLE MALKIN IS my hero. She is wonderful the way she writes. No wonder my son married someone from the Philippines.

SEVERAL YEARS AGO, there was an ordinance that trains could not come through during rush hour traffic. Could the city get an app to let us know when trains were coming through because I was late for work yesterday?

RANT TO THE person who thinks that Pam Tucker should be fired because of the birth of her grandchild. That is a very important day to celebrate. I don’t think she should be fired.

THIS IS A BIG rave to my neighbor across the street for offering to help tear down our carport that fell on our cars during the storm.

TO DONALD BRAUER: Thanks for your editorial. I suggest you turn on ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC. You’ll obviously be very happy with them. They love to invent stories and slant them to their left-wing ideals. I, for one, am very refreshing that on occasion people can find a conservative viewpoint like the one this paper offers on their editorial page, in addition to those offered by Fox News. No one is forcing you to read the editorials here. You do that completely on your own.

A RAVE FOR The Chronicle for printing the letter from liberal Donald Brauer in the Feb. 23 edition, and a rave for Brauer for speaking the truth. Why doesn’t The Chronicle have any liberal columnists? The New York Times has both liberal and conservative columnists, even though their editorials favor the liberal point of view. Are you afraid Republicans might vote for Democrats if you expose your readers to both sides of an issue?

RAVES TO KELLI Walker and all the employees of 311. It must have been very frustrating to work without power and using the limited capabilities of cellphones. Thanks for all your efforts.

nocnoc
nocnoc 02/28/14 - 10:24 pm
Today I am Disappointed in The Commissioners

Passing a SPLOST which is nothing more than a added tax that will
handout $194+Million on a sundry list of Pork and Special Favors.

ARC really needs to be reducing taxes, not increasing them.
ARC needs to do this just to be on PAR with surrounding competing
areas.

I could have supported a SPLOST that eliminated the recent proposed Rain tax, because that would have been and Infrastructure investment.

I could have voted for a SPLOST that invested in ARC OWNED Roads, Buildings and etc. Because there would be something that gives ARC a much needed Face Lift.

But I cannot support another TAX that gives away Millions of $$$$$ to private groups, STATE OWNED facilities that disavowed our name not once but 3x, a Private education facility not to mention the line of special people standing in line with their hands out. All while county buildings and the Roads crumble and we drive over pot hole after pothole.

Yes, I am disappointed in a number of people today.

This coming May, We should VOTE NO on the presented SPLOST
and recommend the Commission go back to the drawing board think about submitting ARC wide improvements.

stuaby
stuaby 03/01/14 - 01:04 am
"I GET MUSCLE car magazines.

"I GET MUSCLE car magazines. Those are my kind of cars. Not the ones that are out today. They are ugly."

I would say that they are effeminate, instead of ugly. Some of these cars coming out of Europe and the Pacific Rim are some of the most girlish cars ever. I don't care how fast they may be. And people flock to them and pay truck loads of money for them. Great cars for women, but I wouldn't be seen in one.

I'll stick with my 361 hp Pontiac G8 and my Chevy Silverado, thank you very much. (Oh, and thanks, Pres. Obama and democrat voters, for murdering Pontiac.)

stuaby
stuaby 03/01/14 - 01:17 am
"Why doesn’t The Chronicle

"Why doesn’t The Chronicle have any liberal columnists?"

Because liberal columnists are full of crap and the liberal viewpoint is everywhere in this country and doesn't need yet one more outlet, OK? Liberal columnists/commentators rarely make any sense at all. They don't do anything but spout incoherent, ill-considered, feel-good drivel. They are usually incapable of recognizing the 900-pound gorilla in the room that makes everything they have to say irrelevant.

iaaffg
iaaffg 03/01/14 - 07:42 am
to the snivelling liberal

to the snivelling liberal whining about the ac not hiring liberal columnists: the ac has standards, you see, which is why they won't hire lying liberal columnists. and your whining about it is just typical of your party: as soon as something doesn't go your way, you scream and cry and stamp your feet on the ground and sob "but it's not FAIR!" then go pass a law or amendment so that the world revolves around your insanity. you want liberal reporting, do as one of the other writers in the r and r suggested, or else start your own liberal rag wherein you can print up all the lies and hokey kumbiyah pipe dreams you want so that the rest of your sheeples can read it and know what they're supposed to think for the day. and btw, this is coming from a centrist, not a republican, in case you think that every person out there who isn't an out-of-touch-with-reality democrat is of the other persuasion.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/01/14 - 08:42 am
I have no issue with the

I have no issue with the ranter complaining about the AC not having a liberal columnist, after all that is what the rant and rave section is for. My issue is why does he/she even bother to read the artilces if he/she knows ahead of time that they are from conservative columnist. Just go find a paper who writes liberal articles and read till your hearts content. Simple fix and no complaining necessary.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/01/14 - 08:49 am
"Are You Afraid..."

"Are you afraid Republicans might vote for Democrats if you expose your readers to both sides of an issue?"

Oh, yeah, I bet that keeps them up all night worrying. Heh.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/01/14 - 09:05 am
Picture show

Someone on another article just reminded me of all the many ways we see things....

Years ago my grandparents always said ....we will go to a picture show--meaning a movie....now we have dozens of ways to say that--films--movies--theatre--cinema--I still like picture show..

aaah, the good ole days.

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/01/14 - 10:00 am
clear the way for us to return to normal.

We don't do normal on here...♥

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/01/14 - 10:04 am
My Brothers Keepers

Now this is something I can get behind w/Obama....a program that could work....even Sharpton & OReilly are on board with this....something different & mainly for young men of color...they need this...

corgimom
corgimom 03/01/14 - 10:20 am
Most major newspapers offer a

Most major newspapers offer a variety of viewpoints.

People, get a grip.

It is very unusual for a newspaper not to, and that's what people would like to change.

Then you have posters like iaaffg who doesn't even make sense.

Some people like to see a variety of viewpoints, they aren't afraid of ideas, and it helps them understand both parties during elections.

We should never be afraid of exposure to different viewpoints and opinions, that's how we learn. Because there are always 2 sides to everything.

Maybe it is the ACES that's afraid.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 03/01/14 - 10:30 am
"My issue is why does he/she

"My issue is why does he/she even bother to read the artilces if he/she knows ahead of time that they are from conservative columnist."

Because some people are open-minded and find value in a diversity of opinion/thought on a range of topics. The above quote is an amazing position to take as many conservatives (not saying this writer specifically) accuse progressives and liberals of only reading opinion writers and news sources with whom they agree.

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 03/01/14 - 10:30 am
"My issue is why does he/she

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/01/14 - 11:36 am
(corgimom) "Most major

(corgimom) "Most major newspapers offer a variety of viewpoints. "

I do believe the AC does provide a variety of viewpoints. Why just yesterday we were graced with a letter in the opinion page by Lowell Greenbaum, and there have been others.

(truthmatters) "Because some people are open-minded and find value in a diversity of opinion/thought on a range of topics"

Like I said, just yesterday we had a diverse opinion grace this paper.

sawgrass
sawgrass 03/01/14 - 11:39 am
Pam Tucker

I agree that Pam Tucker should be removed from her position. I appreciate the fact that the birth of her grandchild is important but as the leader of her department, she should have been at her post during the crisis.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/01/14 - 12:06 pm
sawgrass

What is the difference in her sitting in a hospital waiting room by the phone and sitting in her office by the phone? It is like those criticizing presidents for being away from the Whitehouse, it doesn't matter; as long as there is a phone and the staff is in place to handle business.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/01/14 - 12:08 pm
I like diversity of opinion

I like diversity of opinion too. If nothing else, it serves to reinforce my own as being correct. At best, it shows me where I might be wrong and need to broaden my thinking.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/01/14 - 12:09 pm
Sawgrass, didn't Ms. Tucker

Sawgrass, didn't Ms. Tucker have a capable second in command and what happened because she was not in her office that would not have happened if she had been there. According to everything I've read, nothing major happened because she was at the birth of her grandchild. Was there a tree limb she needed to hold up or a car she needed to push out of a ditch. Geeze some people...she doesn't run the whole department by herself. Would you say the same if Lord forbid she had been in the hospital herself....I suppose you would find fault with that also.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 03/01/14 - 12:15 pm
My brother's keeper

Me too seenit. I'm all for any program/support that can change the negative culture all too common in the black community. Young men need positive role models, education, and be raised to shun the idea of generational dependence.

sawgrass
sawgrass 03/01/14 - 01:08 pm
InChristLove

You are correct...Pam Tucker does not control the weather. However, she is the head of a department which deals with any major crisis that occurs. She may have a capable assistant, but when you accept the responsibility of being the leader, that responsibility applies at all times.

allhans
allhans 03/01/14 - 01:31 pm
My Brothers Keepers

The message has long been out there..........the young men have not been receptive to it. Until they are, it is all a waste of time and money. The change must first begin at home...........

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/01/14 - 02:13 pm
Sawgrass, I would agree with

Sawgrass, I would agree with you but there are always special circumstances and in my opinion this was one of them and that is the purpose for having a capable assistant....to take over when you can not be there.

InChristLove
InChristLove 03/01/14 - 02:15 pm
Sawgrass, what if this had

Sawgrass, what if this had been a death in the family. Would you have excused her then or would you have expected her to be there no matter what?

Truth Matters
Truth Matters 03/01/14 - 02:43 pm
"I agree that Pam Tucker

"I agree that Pam Tucker should be removed from her position."

See there, "a war on women..."

(I couldn't resist.)

nocnoc
nocnoc 03/01/14 - 03:54 pm
Well the Masters are coming up

As we know the Augusta National purchased a lot of land along
Berckmans Rd. & got the street re-routed.

Does this mean Rev. Craft and his group have to protest on Washington Rd. this year?

I hope RCSO handles it more quietly this go around.

corgimom
corgimom 03/01/14 - 04:05 pm
Letters to the editor are not

Letters to the editor are not the same as nationally-syndicated columnists.

As I have said many times before, Augusta and this blog is not all of America. I read newspapers from several parts of the country, and none of them are like this. And I don't mean that in a positive way.

corgimom
corgimom 03/01/14 - 04:13 pm
Besides, if you on this site

Besides, if you on this site for any length of time, you will read some LTE's that makes everybody say- "HUH???"

Like the one about putting a bunch of parts in a dryer and coming out with a watch- that was one of the better ones.

stuaby
stuaby 03/01/14 - 05:17 pm
Yeah, there are always two

Yeah, there are always two sides to everything.

Two people see a small leak in a roof of a 2000 sq. ft. house, dripping @1 drop per second.
Person A's idea to stop the leak is to go up with some roofing tar and plug the hole.
Person B's idea to stop the leak is to dynamite the whole house and build a replica of the Taj Mahal in it's place.

Clearly two sides here, but only one is worth mentioning.

This is a 1 to 1 analog of what we have in this country today between conservative and liberal thought.

I applaud the AC for limiting nonsense on the op/ed page mostly to LTEs.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 03/01/14 - 05:28 pm
Political Columns

If you pick up a copy of the Metro Courier, an Augusta weekly newspaper, heavy on politics with a little dose of community affairs and some sports tossed in at the end, you will not see one conservative column. They are all liberal.

Even if you pick up a hundred consecutive issues of the Metro Courier, you will never see a conservative column or editorial. The only conservative things I have ever read in that paper were two letters to the editor that were written by moi over the years. Of course I had to use my real name.

I do appreciate their publishing my letters.

sawgrass
sawgrass 03/01/14 - 06:17 pm
InChristLove

I'm sorry but when you are in a position of leadership, you have to assume that role - no matter what. I've been there. You can't pick and choose when you are available.